Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Gamepass is great precisely because it's costing Microsoft shitloads of money that they won't recoup. Them abandoning the gaming industry will collapse the AAA scene and normies will flock elsewhere. Incline will reign.
I'm sad to say it but this is pipe dreams. Idiots are not going to go away. If there is demand, supply will emerge to satisfy that demand. If it's not Microsoft it will be someone else.
This is backwards. AAA games don't exist because there's a demand. They exist, and so marketing departments drum up the demand.
you're getting torched by the button brigade, but this is exactly how the entertainment industry works. that's the playbook for big movie releases, and why marketing is such a huge part of the budget, they need to create the demand.
And we wouldn't have woke shit shoved down our throats from every angle if it were a result of demand. The creators create shit and then rely on marketing to make us think we want it. "Look how badass this negro woman is! She just moved shit with her mind!"

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Game looks absolute trash. Don't know who are they are designing the game for exactly? Certainly not for the RPG crowd with the lack of classes, races and companion approval system. It will not be for the romance fags and sex starved whales either with lack of romances. It will not be for the graphics whores crowd with their abysmal plastic cartoonish graphics. Not for the combat fags either with that floaty shit combat they showed off.

So it begs the question who is this game designed for?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Game looks absolute trash. Don't know who are they are designing the game for exactly? Certainly not for the RPG crowd with the lack of classes, races and companion approval system. It will not be for the romance fags and sex starved whales either with lack of romances. It will not be for the graphics whores crowd with their abysmal plastic cartoonish graphics. Not for the combat fags either with that floaty shit combat they showed off.

Feargus Urquhart, as always.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Feargus Urquhart, as always.
Some shit taste he has.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Avowed is following in Skyrim's footsteps by removing attributes, which makes it less of an RPG than Diablo.
Sawyer didn't even want to include attributes in Pillars of Eternity and only did so under duress because they promised an Infinity Engine nostalgia title. Avowed with its classless, attributeless system is truer to what Sawyer wanted than what he was forced to deliver.
That's a very elaborate way of saying Josh Sawyer's ideal RPG design consists of ripping off Todd Howard's work, but okay.
It's what they did in Dragon Age Inquisition. Josh wanted to copy Mark Darrah :lol:

Tehdagah

Arcane
The value of gamepass to corporate isn't the subscription monies its leveraging the subs and IPs into investment products. It's an example of rent seeking and ultimately a race to the bottom. Gamepass will only ever be a dumping ground for garbage. Even first party titles can't be launched there forever, because it's just throwing money away. See also: Disney plus, where first party titles are either removed due to not wanting to pay royalties or aren't launched on the service because it's lost revenue.

The shift in Microsoft to an Indian company also eliminates any romanticism attached to the Xbox brand.
And it's still good to pay a monthly small fee and be able to play a lot of games without paying the full price for them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Some shit taste he has.
It's been alleged.
To be fair, though, Feargus didn’t interfere with the stories and RPG vision all the time (and Parker mostly brought his touch to UI and game systems, which only usually hurt me resource-wise). Darren and Jones didn't care. You also had to pull teeth from all of them to actually play the games the studio was making.

One unspoken time-consuming part of the story process, however, was that we’d get reading recommendations from Feargus – I won’t name the books, but he’d give us a fantasy or sci-fi book he had read that he really liked, which was universally many hours of your life you wouldn’t get back.

I went through with reading them because I was genuinely trying to figure out what elements of these stories Feargus actually liked, because it confounded me – they were all terrible.

Eventually, I realized I couldn’t figure out why he liked this shit, and whenever he’d try and loan me a book, I’d just tell him “no worries, I can get it on my Kindle.”

Okay, I guess I can't stop. So another issue with the books is that, at times, Feargus will inflict his story preferences on teams. When this happens, as a Creative Director it is helpful for me to try and ascertain where these story preferences came from and if necessary, argue against them, using the the same books that are upheld as shining pinnacles of inspiring storylines but yet cause brain tumors within seconds to people reading them. This was my job, and why I read these books - to use the very material to argue why we shouldn't do something that undermined the story experience.

Books do seem "minor," but in this context, it was to protect the game stories at the studio when I could. I didn't always succeed, as indicated by the DS4 example (again, the pitch failed partly b/c Square-Enix didn't want to work with us again).

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
you're getting torched by the button brigade, but this is exactly how the entertainment industry works. that's the playbook for big movie releases, and why marketing is such a huge part of the budget, they need to create the demand.
Infinitely easier to do with movies since you already have a built-in audience with the actors/directors/writer/etc.

Outside of the indies/Japanese, there's few giant names in gaming that consistently deliver and command that large of a fanbase. Thinking off the top of my head you have, what, the Last of Us dude and Dad of Boy guy? :P Lol even. Nobody wants to be a fan of a glorified manager.

So now marketing has to resort to either whoring the shit out of graphics (not gonna work for Avowed) or... actual game mechanics and narrative.

You can only promote generic trash so hard before even the marketers fall asleep.

I recently made a whole shitpost about it.

Lhynn

Arcane
there's something poetic about how feargus only got to make his skyrim killed by the time it was dead of old age
"Skyrim killed", dont know if its a typo or if you meant to write it that way, but it fits. 10 years too late to be killed by skyrim, but it still will happen, skyrim is better than this, and everyone already owns it, why buy this shit?

Ryzer

Arcane
Is impression or modern western AAA game devs try as hard as possible to have ugly npc's?
In the case of Obsidian, I accuse their utter incompetence to design NPCs. Even if they wanted, they wouldn't achieve to make a single good-looking NPC.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gamepass is great precisely because it's costing Microsoft shitloads of money that they won't recoup. Them abandoning the gaming industry will collapse the AAA scene and normies will flock elsewhere. Incline will reign.
I remember Microsoft saying Gamepass is profitable.
Bear in mind that when he mentioned abandoning the game industry, Phil Spencer was trying to fast talk the FTC into letting Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard.

Wesp5

Arcane
In the case of Obsidian, I accuse their utter incompetence to design NPCs. Even if they wanted, they wouldn't achieve to make a single good-looking NPC.

Yeah, I was really disappointed with a lot of NPCs in the TOW DLCs. I mean they must have heard the criticism when they released the main game, how could they not improve on it?

sosmoflux

Educated
They simply believe they're doing a Good Deed by intentionally making ugly characters. Representing the down-trodden and all that. This is compounded by ESG scores and thin-wristed beta cucks that think classic masculinity is evil and classic femininity is unrealistic. Hence, ugly is the new beautiful.

The industry seems to be course-correcting on this (BG3) but many of these mind broken people are so far gone politically they would literally seeth and cry if they were forced to make handsome or cute NPCs.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The industry seems to be course-correcting on this (BG3)
I've seen multiple people bring up BG3 as some kind of white knight for attractive characters when the most attractive major female characters are Shadowheart (who is... subjective at best) and Wyll's devil pimpette.

Meanwhile most characters look like clowns.

Also the most masculine companion is Karlach.

sosmoflux

Educated
The industry seems to be course-correcting on this (BG3)
I've seen multiple people bring up BG3 as some kind of white knight for attractive characters when the most attractive major female characters are Shadowheart (who is... subjective at best) and Wyll's devil pimpette.

Meanwhile most characters look like clowns.

Also the most masculine companion is Karlach.

You're not wrong, and they did uggofy several of the characters before release (Gave Shadowheart a man chin, Karlach more butch) - but compare these characters, and the characters you can make in the character creator, to pretty much any Western game over the past 10 years and you'd have to admit that BG3 is a definite upgrade. Also you can strip women naked and they look relatively attractive which was inconceivable at the time due to male-gaze etc.

Wcbv0ZG.png

Some of these are modded admittedly but it seems that overall the takeaway has been "omg attractiveness and sex sells what a revelation" throughout the wider game dev scene. Which isn't in isolation either considering many recent flops have pushed with an anti-beauty bent.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Some shit taste he has.
It's been alleged.
To be fair, though, Feargus didn’t interfere with the stories and RPG vision all the time (and Parker mostly brought his touch to UI and game systems, which only usually hurt me resource-wise). Darren and Jones didn't care. You also had to pull teeth from all of them to actually play the games the studio was making.

One unspoken time-consuming part of the story process, however, was that we’d get reading recommendations from Feargus – I won’t name the books, but he’d give us a fantasy or sci-fi book he had read that he really liked, which was universally many hours of your life you wouldn’t get back.

I went through with reading them because I was genuinely trying to figure out what elements of these stories Feargus actually liked, because it confounded me – they were all terrible.

Eventually, I realized I couldn’t figure out why he liked this shit, and whenever he’d try and loan me a book, I’d just tell him “no worries, I can get it on my Kindle.”

Okay, I guess I can't stop. So another issue with the books is that, at times, Feargus will inflict his story preferences on teams. When this happens, as a Creative Director it is helpful for me to try and ascertain where these story preferences came from and if necessary, argue against them, using the the same books that are upheld as shining pinnacles of inspiring storylines but yet cause brain tumors within seconds to people reading them. This was my job, and why I read these books - to use the very material to argue why we shouldn't do something that undermined the story experience.

Books do seem "minor," but in this context, it was to protect the game stories at the studio when I could. I didn't always succeed, as indicated by the DS4 example (again, the pitch failed partly b/c Square-Enix didn't want to work with us again).
It's always so fun to reread these Rage of May posts by Avellone! Pure comedy.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Surprised by the amount of criticism in the Xbox sub reddits regarding Avowed news posts.

Despite the large number of "not all RPGs need to be deep, just enjoy the game" posts, there's a significant amount of unhappiness regarding lack of classes, lack of companion reactivity (can't kill them, can't dismiss them, lack of romances, lack of open world, combat looking boring.

No one at obsidian looked at the success of BG3 and especially the huge amount of fan engagement regarding companions and romances? To do Outer Worlds 2.0 companions, is just bad business.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I'll be surprised if the game isn't postponed after such a shitty reception. If even M$ fanboys aren't happy about it, it's a sign that things are bad.
Unless m$ doesn't mind another Starfield, only this time the game won't sell millions of copies before players realize the game is crap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom