Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, one of her non-answers amounts to admitting that all the abilities in the ability trees are combat related, because it's not fun to have to choose if you want your character to be effective in combat or out of combat.
:prosper:
This was one of the design tenets of Pillars of Eternity. Different pool for combat and non-combat progression.

Avowed also doesn't support pacifism, so allowing people to build a character who is outright bad at the core gameplay activity would be daft.

Quillon

Arcane
Different pool for combat and non-combat progression.
Cohh specifically asks about non-combat progression, Carrie talks about combat skills not affecting non-combat stuff for some reason, she doesn't mention a different tree or anything for non-combat progression, she says its complicating and can't get into it just yet which is to say it'll be an afterthought feature at best, else it woulda been very easy to answer such a basic question :P I mean how tf are you making content for this game without a determined set of non-combat player skills, if there are such skills.

Then again Carrie seems to be out of her depth at every turn so, great game director choice Fergie.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Cohh specifically asks about non-combat progression, Carrie talks about combat skills not effecting non-combat stuff for some reason, she doesn't mention a different tree or anything for non-combat progression, she says its complicating and can't get into it just yet which is to say it'll be an afterthought feature at best, else it woulda been very easy to answer such a basic question :P I mean how tf are you making content for this game without a determined set of non-combat player skills, if there are such skills.
WY5KPOcfeqCH.jpeg

The first dialogue option has that purple arrow next to it so there's something special going on there. Since she's a protege of Josh Sawyer I imagine they're using the Sawyer Method:
Basically I think that most designers are overly concerned with what's come before when they sit down to write CRPG mechanics. When looking at mechanics that typically go into CRPGs, it's pretty hard to reverse-engineer a plan of intent. The conclusion I'm usually left with is that they wanted the system to "look like an RPG" on a UI screen. They have classes and stats and skills and skill/talent trees and a ton of derived stats when probably not all of that is necessary.

I believe that game designers, whether working in the RPG genre or otherwise, should establish what they want the player to be doing within the world. That is, they must ask themselves what they want the core activities of the player to be. Within those activities, the designer can find ways to allow growth over time in a variety of ways. How they want that growth to occur and what sort of choices they want to force the player to make -- that's what should drive the design of the advancement/RPG system.

Instead it usually seems like most designers sit down and say, "Well what are the ability scores going to be?"

Quillon

Arcane
The first dialogue option has that purple arrow next to it so there's something special going on there. Since she's a protege of Josh Sawyer I imagine they're using the Sawyer Method:
Then she should have started answering with "yes there are non-combat skills...we'll go into it later" instead she comes across as not sure if it actually exists, as she does with most other things.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Cohh specifically asks about non-combat progression, Carrie talks about combat skills not effecting non-combat stuff for some reason, she doesn't mention a different tree or anything for non-combat progression, she says its complicating and can't get into it just yet which is to say it'll be an afterthought feature at best, else it woulda been very easy to answer such a basic question :P I mean how tf are you making content for this game without a determined set of non-combat player skills, if there are such skills.
WY5KPOcfeqCH.jpeg

Basically I think that most designers are overly concerned with what's come before when they sit down to write CRPG mechanics. When looking at mechanics that typically go into CRPGs, it's pretty hard to reverse-engineer a plan of intent. The conclusion I'm usually left with is that they wanted the system to "look like an RPG" on a UI screen. They have classes and stats and skills and skill/talent trees and a ton of derived stats when probably not all of that is necessary.

I believe that game designers, whether working in the RPG genre or otherwise, should establish what they want the player to be doing within the world. That is, they must ask themselves what they want the core activities of the player to be. Within those activities, the designer can find ways to allow growth over time in a variety of ways. How they want that growth to occur and what sort of choices they want to force the player to make -- that's what should drive the design of the advancement/RPG system.

Instead it usually seems like most designers sit down and say, "Well what are the ability scores going to be?"
Tnis philosophy sounds a lot like "offer less and less until they stop asking" or at least can be easily misunderstood in such a way.

The very special thing going on ih that diaoogue is obviously a flavor answer corresponding to a certain class or background.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Then she should have started answering with "yes there are non-combat skills...we'll go into it later" instead she comes across as not sure if it actually exists, as she does with most other things.
There ultimately might not be though. :M

flavor answer corresponding to a certain class or background.
Background maybe, but it's a classless game.

sosmoflux

Educated
effecting
Affecting. Effecting means something else. I'm not trying to be a dick, it just sets my ass on fire every time because it's getting so widespread.
Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
effecting
Affecting. Effecting means something else. I'm not trying to be a dick, it just sets my ass on fire every time because it's getting so widespread.
Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies.
I know a guy who in a restaurant ordered a "Cabaret Sauvignon", which sent me in shock. To my correction he shrugged and said that waiters don't understand you if you say it right. I have a feeling he made that up though.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
https://www.gamesradar.com/avowed-d...-a-lukewarm-reception-during-the-xbox-direct/

Avowed director says "We're working on" the RPG's combat after a lukewarm reception during the Xbox Direct​

By Hope Bellingham
published about 4 hours ago
Obsidian's upcoming RPG's combat is only going to get better
Avowed new screenshot

(Image credit: Xbox Game Studios)

The director of Obsidian's next RPG, Avowed, has revealed that the team is still working on the game's combat and that things have changed since we last saw the game during the Xbox Developer Direct showcase last month.
Carrie Patel, the director of Avowed, has appeared on the Dropped Frames podcast to offer insight into the upcoming game's development, more specifically, how the team is responding to community feedback, such as the game's combat that is still evolving ahead of its release.

During the Xbox event, we saw Avowed's polished combat, leading fans to compare it to a certain Bethesda RPG. Not long after this, Patel addressed the Skyrim comparisons and revealed that the upcoming action RPG is more like Obsidian's "fantasy take on The Outer Worlds" instead.
In the Dropped Frames interview, the director discusses the community's reaction to Avowed and explains: "We showed something for a showcase last June, we showed a little bit more at Developer Direct a couple of weeks ago [...] so we're getting to share more and more, but all of that is while the game is still in progress."

Patel continues by mentioning Avowed's combat: "One of the heartening things has been seeing fans call out some of the things that we are actively working on, like the sense of hitting and impacts as you're attacking enemies."
The director then goes on to explain how the footage we saw during the Developer Direct is actually "a few weeks behind" where the team is currently, in terms of its development. "It's kind of nice to always say like 'yep, they saw it, we know it, trust us, we're working on it," Patel continues.
What this basically means is that Avowed could see a lot of changes between now and when it's set to release in Fall 2024 - we just have to trust the process. In case you were wondering, Obsidian has revealed that Avowed is set in Pillars of Eternity's world, but you don't need to have played the studio's older CRPG first.
Carrie Patel was on Dropped Frames talking about Avowed.

https://twitter.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1754314121921663117

Here's a breakdown of what was discussed:

- They are aware of the vocal feedback around combat [impact]; it's something they already know about and are actively working on. The footage shown in the Developer_Direct was already weeks behind what was the current build (at the time of filming).

- Players will find themselves one foot between a grounded political story and a metaphysical story about gods and souls.

- There will be things to find in the environment (Cohh's question was targeted around loot, environmental storytelling, notes etc.).

- Classless system but skill trees will allow for speccing into more traditional 'archetypes' if a player wants.

- Companion skill trees are locked to a specific archetype, but will allow for variations.

- Different enemy attacks can impact the player (knockdown, push, unblockable etc.).

- Not discussing endings or NG+ at this time.

- Some character creation decisions will have mechanical and roleplay impacts.

- Scope is similar to The Outer Worlds (question was about playtime, critical path vs. 100% completion).

- Weapon upgrade system (not mandatory, but recommended).

- Party camp will follow you through the game (no base building).

- Similar difficulty options in their previous games (story time, path of the damned).

- Grimoire magic still in the game, just wasn't shown at the direct (can also dual wield grimoire + wand for quick magic and powerful spells).

- Can't speak much about the stat system, but the general idea is they don't want a system that corners players into potential bad decisions. Want to present a fun set of options for the player.

- Can't speak much on bosses yet, but the idea around combat encounters is to present a variety of enemies that will challenge the player and not make them feel too complacent with sticking to one play style. Want to encourage swapping weapon sets.

- Playing PoE 1 and 2 are not required to understand what's going on.

- No mini-games.

- Day and Night system is there, but doesn't affect gameplay.

- No mounts, some combat abilities affect movement (charge, etc.).

- Tease about some gear can affect things like movement.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The community continues to want New Vegas 2 from Obsidian, instead of this. Every thread on reddit has comments "why are we getting this instead of a new Fallout game?". It's extremely tone deaf from Obsidian to continue with the Outer Worlds formula, a small budget rpg that you finish in 20 hours and never touch again. Insisting in every interview that we should expect fantasy outer worlds when talking about scope, is not helping, in fact it's burying the game further.

This Patel woman is not very bright.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It would've been better had they made this an immersive sim. Hell, I'd have even considered playing it if they had gone that route. This game will be DOA, imo.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Ok, so FONV is a tranny game because someone said so. Cool. Good talk.
Edit 1: BTW that's a tranny channel so anything coming from there is invalid by default.

Quillon

Arcane
I heard some trans people love to eat food and drink water guys, what are we gonna do!?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom