Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The community continues to want New Vegas 2 from Obsidian, instead of this. Every thread on reddit has comments "why are we getting this instead of a new Fallout game?". It's extremely tone deaf from Obsidian to continue with the Outer Worlds formula, a small budget rpg that you finish in 20 hours and never touch again. Insisting in every interview that we should expect fantasy outer worlds when talking about scope, is not helping, in fact it's burying the game further.

This Patel woman is not very bright.

They can't make New Vegas 2 because that's entirely up to Bethesda.

It would've been better had they made this an immersive sim. Hell, I'd have even considered playing it if they had gone that route. This game will be DOA, imo.

Obsidian has never been influenced by the Origin/Looking Glass/Ion Storm Austin/Arkane way of doing things. Would be a bit daft to start now.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some communities come around to thinking that "good RPGs are for trannies/queer people" in the same way that many on the RPG Codex come around to thinking that "good RPGs are for reactionary grognards". There's a kind of gravitational pull in that direction that makes sense within the context of those communities.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
They can't make New Vegas 2 because that's entirely up to Bethesda.
They can't make NV2 because they are no longer able to. The Bethesda part is secondary.
They can't get past the first obstacle. All talent is gone. With TOW and Avowed they can't get off the ground, they don't inspire confidence, they will not touch IPs like Fallout again. They're done. They're the same as Arkane: on life support, with no good devs/designers/writers anymore and chasing trends in hopes of a hit. Little do they know that Microsoft is going to deliver that hit and it's not at all what they expect.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They can't make NV2 because they are no longer able to. The Bethesda part is secondary.
They can't get past the first obstacle. All talent is gone. With TOW and Avowed they can't get off the ground, they don't inspire confidence, they will not touch IPs like Fallout again. They're done. They're the same as Arkane: on life support, with no good devs/designers/writers anymore and chasing trends in hopes of a hit. Little do they know that Microsoft is going to deliver that hit and it's not at all what they expect.
Whatever issues you may have with it, TOW sold 5 million and is getting a bigger (and perhaps better) sequel.

ropetight

Savant
The community continues to want New Vegas 2 from Obsidian, instead of this. Every thread on reddit has comments "why are we getting this instead of a new Fallout game?". It's extremely tone deaf from Obsidian to continue with the Outer Worlds formula, a small budget rpg that you finish in 20 hours and never touch again. Insisting in every interview that we should expect fantasy outer worlds when talking about scope, is not helping, in fact it's burying the game further.

This Patel woman is not very bright.
She is great example of failing upwards, where it is more important you are filling DEI crossword right than your work and results.
One of the main reasons we have bullshit AAA and AA releases.

This industry was so much better with autistic guys self-harming themselves with overtime and crunch.

ropetight

Savant
Some communities come around to thinking that "good RPGs are for trannies/queer people" in the same way that many on the RPG Codex come around to thinking that "good RPGs are for reactionary grognards". There's a kind of gravitational pull in that direction that makes sense within the context of those communities.
You went full gamergate there from shill-soldier of the regime.
May God have mercy on your soul.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Obsidian aren't the same as Arkane because they haven't made a bunch of big budget flops in a row
Heh, they ain't far behind. Oh yeah, I forgot about Grounded, it seems that had a good reception and so far keeps them alive. IDK how well POEs and Tyranny sold but even if they did good-ish, Obsidian still walks the line.
TOW sold 5 million and is getting a bigger (and perhaps better) sequel.
TOW sold because it was supposed to be FONV in space. Especially since everyone was pissed with the whole FO76 disaster. So they looked towards Obsidian. Plus now with Shitfield being the trash that it is, even more attention goes to TOW. So those numbers add up, over time.
Now can they replicate this success with Avowed? No. It will be compared with TES and be found wanting. Like I said in one of my previous posts, the more they go into details about Avowed the less I like it. And this opinion is shared by others. It's TOW but magic.
Hopefully it turns out good for them, but my honest opinion is that they're fucked.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Keep in mind BG3 changed the mainstream gaming landscape and devs will feel the pressure eventually if they aren't already. I.e. Avowed has no chance.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
We're in an age where dudes in basements can create better first person games than "we're not AAA" 100-men studios funded by microsoft.

And some Twitterati are crying over the games industry "dying" or some shit.

Good. Kill it faster.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Keep in mind BG3 changed the mainstream gaming landscape and devs will feel the pressure eventually if they aren't already. I.e. Avowed has no chance.
I'm sure there's still a market for Avowed. Larian make meticulous trash, but it's trash all the same. Whereas Obsidian make unfiltered and unmitigated slop. Both have their place in the minds of the consumer.

It's like comparing Coca Cola with Pepsi, With Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew. The debate is pointless because it's all shit.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
*So, you're saying that*
RPGCodex must win the war for who RPGs are for?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Day and Night system is there, but doesn't affect gameplay.
Phew, for a moment there I was worried things might get interesting or god forbid, even fun.

:whatisfun:
Forget about it. The only reactivity we'll get will be quest reactivity, with a pulsating neon sign every time: "Watch out, player, this will have Consequences (tm)!!!"

And also dialogue options and quest solutions gated behind race/background choices, if we are lucky.

jungl

Augur
The interview with cohcarnage was sad. Him and his buddy were desperately trying to extract something cool about the game for those that play rpgs. Nope its outer turds 2.0.

Sannom

Augur
Well, one of her non-answers amounts to admitting that all the abilities in the ability trees are combat related, because it's not fun to have to choose if you want your character to be effective in combat or out of combat.
It's probably another one of those things they're keeping under wraps for later in the marketing cycle. I'm not expecting anything ground-breaking, probably just the Deadfire skill system although I'm not sure we will get active and passive skills, I'm betting on it being all passive, with stealth, alchemy, explosive and all the others being part of the ability trees.

Obsidian aren't the same as Arkane because they haven't made a bunch of big budget flops in a row - yet.
Will they ever make truly big budget games ? I was wondering what in the world Microsoft was trying to do with buying Double Fine, but the whole situation at Obsidian seems to indicate that their studios mainly making mid-budget games isn't something they're fighting against.

She is great example of failing upwards, where it is more important you are filling DEI crossword right than your work and results.
One of the main reasons we have bullshit AAA and AA releases.

This industry was so much better with autistic guys self-harming themselves with overtime and crunch.
That's not a very nice thing to say of your coworkers, Mr Sawyer.

Gargaune

Arcane
Considering Bethesda is busy making content for star field and full production of the next elder scrolls, we won't see a new fallout for 15 years.
I really doubt Microsoft's gonna sit on such a valuable IP and twiddle their thumbs just to humour Bethesda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom