Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bethesda level of features
:)
people always say skyrim is wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle

turns out diggin' an ocean-wide puddle is still a lot of work :lol:
Bethesda has benefited a great deal from making Morrowind back in the early 2000s and just building on top of that for the past two decades. Not so easy to make Skyrim from scratch. As much as people hate Bethbryo, they can't get rid of it.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Microsoft bosses are fucking retarded. They own Bethesda, they own Obsidian, put two and two together fuckwits. CDPR bois are dead in the water after they ran out of RealityPump devs to exploit so Ubisoft is the only competition in town right now. Just have Obsidian pump out stand-alone expansion packs of NetImmerse games. The fuck are they doing reinventing the wheel over there?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Microsoft bosses are fucking retarded. They own Bethesda, they own Obsidian, put two and two together fuckwits. CDPR bois are dead in the water after they ran out of RealityPump devs to exploit so Ubisoft is the only competition in town right now. Just have Obsidian pump out stand-alone expansion packs of NetImmerse games. The fuck are they doing reinventing the wheel over there?
bold of you to assume Obsidian still has what it takes to make FoNV-tier game. Unless by 'netimmerse expansion packs' you mean something on the level of 'Mothership Zeta', except stand-alone.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's been reported that MS wants Obsidian to make Bethbryo Fallout games, but Bethesda still has autonomy and they don't want that to happen.

Codex Year of the Donut
most of the people that made fnv don't work at obsidian anymore
microsoft bought a shell of a company

I find it difficult to justify all these acquisitions and mergers (not just discussing Microsoft) when there's such little gain to be had. If there was some IP or key piece of technology being acquired they would make sense, but what are you really acquiring when you buy a small or medium gamedev studio?
It's like they're speedrunning a repeat of the late 90s/early 00s acquisitions & mergers that resulted in exoduses and formation of new developers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I find it difficult to justify all these acquisitions and mergers (not just discussing Microsoft) when there's such little gain to be had. If there was some IP or key piece of technology being acquired they would make sense, but what are you really acquiring when you buy a small or medium gamedev studio?
For MS, it's specially for them to have games that will always be on gamepass that they won't have to periodically renew.

Codex Year of the Donut
For MS, it's specially for them to have games that will always be on gamepass that they won't have to periodically renew.
Man idk, I looked at the EA pass thing and game pass but neither really has anything that would make me want to spend any money.
EA was especially pitiful, never realized how bad their library is now. Only way I could see someone paying for that is the Jedi souls game or someone who really likes old bioware but doesn't own the games.

Wunderbar

Arcane
If there was some IP or key piece of technology being acquired they would make sense
what about that... uh... branching dialogue tool they made for poe. Totally worth it i'd say.

It's like they're speedrunning a repeat of the late 90s/early 00s acquisitions & mergers that resulted in exoduses and formation of new developers.

Corporations tend to think more in branding/franchises/IP focused ways rather than practical solutions. For them buying even a moderately successful IP is beneficial, they have enough money that millions are just peanuts, and the good will of consumers is more important for them than creating a better product.

Codex Year of the Donut

Corporations tend to think more in branding/franchises/IP focused ways rather than practical solutions. For them buying even a moderately successful IP is beneficial, they have enough money that millions are just peanuts, and the good will of consumers is more important for them than creating a better product.
For Microsoft, perhaps. But I see a very thq future for embracer if things continue as is.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Come to work at noon, have a latte in a meeting, check your twitter, get an afternoon coffee, chat with colleagues and go home to rest for the next day.
Obsidian is like a Stay in Home Girlfriend then?
Now that MS owns them, the situation is closer to the Stay at Home Modern Emancipated Wife. Much worse than the girlfriend version :)

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Does anyone still have that list of people who worked on FONV? There was a list showing who worked on what aspect of that game and where are those people working now. The percentage of people that worked on FONV and then left Obsidian was at 74%. I can't find that list anymore.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Tbh his declaration is very neutral.
"Avowed ? The whole team is very glad to be done with it very soon, excellent atmosphere at the office right now !" is an example of a good thing heard about Avowed.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
People may think Henry Ford or Rockefeller were good businessmen, but I dare you to find a bigger mastermind than Feargus who tricked Microsoft to buy a company that can deliver nothing for 3 years except a glorified flash game.

:slamdunk:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People may think Henry Ford or Rockefeller were good businessmen, but I dare you to find a bigger mastermind than Feargus who tricked Microsoft to buy a company that can deliver nothing for 3 years except a glorified flash game.

Fearg does have some cover in that big budget games have become so bloated that 5+ year cycles are now considered normal.

Fun fact: Video game production cycles have gotten so long that if a big-budget game studio started working on a brand new project today, it would likely be for the PlayStation 6

Fearg does have some cover in that big budget games have become so bloated that 5+ year cycles are now considered normal.

Fun fact: Video game production cycles have gotten so long that if a big-budget game studio started working on a brand new project today, it would likely be for the PlayStation 6

Lol it would still be for PS4 but take 5+ years. Most new games are also availble on the PS4, all about market shares and next gen fucked up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom