Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Obsidian hasn't released good RPG in over a decade. Unironically & Literally
Bah, your old fart is *hasn't released good RPG*, you moldering follower of the cult of "I rest my cases by overemphasizing my two subjective itches, because I am afraid nobody would relate to me if I wasn't like the others around me."

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hope they are all doing 'side quests' and there is no main narrative. Just give me a comfy fantasy setting, let me explore and immerse and murder. Thats all I want from a first person game. I rarely went up the mountain to the beards in skyrim.
I thought I read upthread that they're narrowing the scope, making Avowed a more linear experience i.e. less side quest and "find your own fun" stuff.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also the name of the game is Avowed, not AVOWED. Infinitron just saying thread title seems like it is yelling for no reason. Which I guess isn't a surprise on the Codex. Carry on.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Obsidian making fps rpg's is pretty much par for the course in dystopian game development. Not sure if Pentiment or Avowed is worse. Maybe Avowed.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Obsidian, the Last Hope of the Western Role-Playing Games genre
I don't think too many people think this in 2023, least of all on the codex. There's too many indies now and the industry is wide open for newcomers, especially with the increasing usability of devtools.

I mean, the dev behind Kenshi used to be a security guard, and it's arguably one of the best RPGs produced in recent years.

However, real talent and dedication are still rare, and good gamedevs are a super small pool.

The industry is coming full circle. It used to be that passionate, basement-dwelling devs ruled the roost, and now that the big studios basically produce gambling content for children, it's back to the basement dwellers.

:incline:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Does anyone appreciate that Obsidian, the Last Hope of the Western Role-Playing Games genre, the "spiritual successor" to Black Isle made two South Park JRPGs?
They made Stick of Truth. Fractured But Whole was done by Ubisoft.

I don't think too many people think this in 2023, least of all on the codex.
Truth. Many of us think the genre is rotting in its grave.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Truth. Many of us think the genre is rotting in its grave.

Basically, I'm holding out for some genius level solodev to produce a work of art that we can all point at and say "holy shit, there it is, media isn't dead, the decline can be reversed and good things can still happen."

I mean, I'm hoping that person is me and I'll rake in all the money that entails, but the odds are against me and I'm not that smart.

But I'm hoping someone does it.

God, I'm so bored of modern media, I've gone back to reading.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I remember constant articles about RPGs being dead in early 90s PC Gamer. They will rise again just like they have in the past.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For some users on this forum, it's like "Ignore your lying eyes, it is and always will be 2011." Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity didn't turn out as good as they wanted them to be back in 2014-2015 and that's it, RPGs are dead.

I think for some it's a way of coping with not having enough time for video games anymore, which I can sympathize with.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A ton of RPGs are released every year now on average compared to the dry years of the late 00s-early-10s. :roll:

Yes and almost none of them are even worth glancing at. Garbage in, garbage out.
17611.jpg

If all the 16 well-received big titles in the upper right quadrant and the whole mess of niche-but-well-received titles in the lower right leave you cold, then it's time to accept that you're just too old to like anything now.

Zeriel

Arcane
For some users on this forum, it's like "Ignore your lying eyes, it is and always will be 2011." Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity didn't turn out as good as they wanted them to be back in 2014-2015 and that's it, RPGs are dead.

I think for some it's a way of coping with not having enough time for video games anymore, which I can sympathize with.

Nice strawman. I never thought either of those games would be good. The reality is that the culture and the talent in the industry and its business structure is simply not capable of creating the kind of games it used to. Things have moved on. Which is fine if you like the new stuff, but it's like telling someone who liked basebuilding RTS that actually the genre is flourishing because he can play a new game that has the RTS label slapped on it but none of the features that used to define the genre.

Efe

Erudite
you may even enjoy the ones on bottom left, so long as you dont mention it too much (at least publicly)
I google basebuilding rts 2023 and first video is "New RTS & base building games in 2023 keeping the strategy genre alive"
do really none of these scratch ur itch?

turkishronin

Arcane
I don't think too many people think this in 2023, least of all on the codex. There's too many indies now and the industry is wide open for newcomers, especially with the increasing usability of devtools.

I mean, the dev behind Kenshi used to be a security guard, and it's arguably one of the best RPGs produced in recent years.

However, real talent and dedication are still rare, and good gamedevs are a super small pool.

The industry is coming full circle. It used to be that passionate, basement-dwelling devs ruled the roost, and now that the big studios basically produce gambling content for children, it's back to the basement dwellers.

:incline:

The fact that you mentioned Kenshi shows that it's really ogre. Game looks so ugly and bland. Baldur's Gate 3 is the last chance for the genre realistically.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A ton of RPGs are released every year now on average compared to the dry years of the late 00s-early-10s. :roll:

you can always teel the difference between an edgy tryharder and a core rpg fan by whether they're claiming that anything was worse than the 00s dry spell

it's a cope of not being able to analyze except in binaries and when left with those two options there's only really one for these people

Mortmal

Arcane
you may even enjoy the ones on bottom left, so long as you dont mention it too much (at least publicly)
I google basebuilding rts 2023 and first video is "New RTS & base building games in 2023 keeping the strategy genre alive"
do really none of these scratch ur itch?
I see dominion 5 on the bottom left, no shame in mentioning you like that at all, it's far more complex and superior game to most right side stuff. Whole poll is just a big joke to entertain codexers.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

And for you, anything that calls itself an RPG must be one. Your point?

And for you, anything that calls itself an RPG must be one. Your point?

Post-op trans RPGs are real RPGs...

-EDIT-

Haven't really followed Avowed closely, is there anything worthwhile out there (release date, gameplay videos, ect)?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom