Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting

RepHope

Savant
Third person might help sales, there’s a certain diehard casual who hates FPP, kudos to whichever MS suit whipped Patel and her merry band of retards into implementing that feature.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
There is honestly ironically such a fucking around hiking simulator game draught right now because Bethesda ceased to make them that I might play this.
Aside from Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2 releasing before the end of the year and at least one non-RPG, hiking simulator Dragon's Dogma 2 released in March:

u7VGmI3.png

The Weeaboo above the Sea of Fog II

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I can't believe I'm saying this, but this game is uglier than Dragon Age 4.
just looked at both and im not seeing this? care to provide examples? Just saw 3 in a row: avowed, dragon age 4 and doom. Out of them all actually doom disappointed me most: shield and dragon riding?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
just looked at both and im not seeing this? care to provide examples? Just saw 3 in a row: avowed, dragon age 4 and doom. Out of them all actually doom disappointed me most: shield and dragon riding?

Just my opinion of course, but the actual in-game footage of DA 4 looks much better than the garish, hyper-cartoony look of Avowed.

It's like comparing Valorant to knockoff Valorant made in Unity.

jungl

Augur
Visually avowed looks nice like a charming disney cartoon. The stats and mechanics reveal is a disappointment. Game either has a amazing story or is a failure.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The dialogue UI is awful.

They keep the weapon upgrade system from Pillars, which is nice. Third person mode is also pretty good.

The skill tree looks pretty bad, at least for the first level. It might get better at later level but I don't have high hopes for it.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The weird thing for me here is how everything clashes. The player strikes with a sword, but the sound effects and enemy feedback make it seem they're bludgeoning with a mace, or at least punching with the sword's guard. The mushrooms and protrusions give me the impression the game takes place underwater, but that's clearly not the case. The colors fail to complement each other in every instance. It's as if two very different people designed the game completely oblivious from one another and then a third one mashed everything together. It's disconcerting.
They said later that the reason why the sword sound like a mace at the beginning is it's under leveled(maybe not sharp enough to cut through the enemy). After they upgrade it the sound goes back to normal.

They do this so the player knows when their equipment is not working well.

It's a nice touch and has some potential.

Trash Player

Augur
If they add in a rudimentary Grounded-in-Eora, it will boost sales a lot. Open world survival sandbox is the go-to for AA now. It is a shame to waste the art assets from a financial standpoint.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
oh god no. Not the "damage goes up X%" skill tree.
Not great, BUT 40% is very substantial and will be felt in gameplay. Not like the usual 2% increase that numbers go up gives you.

It is, but it is still lazy as fuck game design, please do not defend this.
"Let's create a new power, effect, or ability-"--- 'Nah, too expensive, just edit the cell in that database row on the back end"--> (Fn=x*1.40) "All set, New Upgrade ready!"

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
Based on what they show in the deep dive, the passives are basically number increase.

It's more about choose what magic and abilities you want to use when you level up.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

How is that possible? This is a crime against my eyeballs.

Whoever wins, we lose...

At least we are getting Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon, even with lower graphics, it has much more style than these two fuckups...
I really have no idea what the hell happened in the industry to where the art design sucks this hard. Everything looks like sickening cartoonish shit.

Did all these 30-something art directors go to the same school or something?

Quillon

Arcane
the garish, hyper-cartoony look of Avowed.
I remember they spent time and effort to make a medieval bathroom right/realistic through iterations in deadfire, an isometric gaym, both games' looks were realistic af but now just cos it is said something along the lines of "the living lands is wacky" in the lore they went crazy on everything and they don't need a second invite to paint the game eye melting purple & pink(again after TOW)

Readher

Savant

How is that possible? This is a crime against my eyeballs.

Whoever wins, we lose...

At least we are getting Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon, even with lower graphics, it has much more style than these two fuckups...
I really have no idea what the hell happened in the industry to where the art design sucks this hard. Everything looks like sickening cartoonish shit.

Did all these 30-something art directors go to the same school or something?
Talented people left for jobs where they aren't being slaved away and where they get paid their worth. There's no creative freedom in the AAA space anymore, so there's no reason to stomach shitty pay and working conditions. This goes for programmers too.

The industry is filled with incompetent soyboys and tumblrinas who are mentally stuck at being 10 years old, hence the amount of infantile dialogue, childish writing and cartoonish art styles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom