Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
Enter KCD2.
cool, no magic, fighting generic muslim 521343
As opposed to fighting generic goblin/forsworn/draugr in Skyrim?

At least in KCD, enemies might fuck you up if you're not paying attention, due to a combat system that isn't focused on clicking enemies to death.
it's pretty weak honestly

it depends on how big of battles they'll allow you to play in, but bannerlord already exists

I understand this is supposed to be a cultural victory for me the white man that a game featuring a straight white male is created, but kcd1 was pretty mediocre
You're pretty mediocre if you can't appreciate KCD's greatness when it comes to quest design, combat, exploration, underlying mechanics.
fighting generic fantasy enemies is still 10x the variety that kcd had, it wasn't a good game around launch when I played it, I don't know what they added in updates and dlc but it wasn't anything higher than a 6/10 at launch

user

Savant
Has this amazing original character reveal been posted yet?

Looks like a very fleshed out personality:
1. Great in bedroom
2. Has a lover who is skilled with his hands
3. Big magic

The cringe is very strong in this one.

It is kind of amazing that no studio has made a true, open-world, first person fantasy RPG to fill the Skyrim void. It feels like a $1,000 bill just waiting to be picked up up off the ground.

The problem since then is that CDPR decided to establish another IP, in a science fiction setting (Cyberpunk 2013/2020) acquired while working on The Witcher 3, while undoubtedly expecting that Bethesda would immediately initiate work on the next Elder Scrolls game. If both companies had taken another four years to complete their games, this would have seen Cyberpunk 2077 arrive in May 2019, followed by TES VI: Hammerfell in November 2019. Instead, Bethesda somehow spent 8 years creating an Open World space RPG, that isn't Open World, fails to make use of space other than spaceship combat, and isn't much of an RPG. Meanwhile, CDPR took a year-and-a-half longer than expected to release Cyberpunk 2077, and only managed even that by releasing it in a buggy state lacking many intended features and probably much other content.

A disaster for both companies.

Time to get used to it. Development cycles that used to be a target of mockery and Duke Nukem jokes have long become the norm. And it's unlikely to go down. Struggles may also ensue, in particular with projects on the comparably ambitious end. As it's not getting any less complex managing these huge teams as well as ever more complex tech. AI and tools may help. But the days of a couple years at best between blockbuster releases are over.

Luckily, there's a world beyond blockbuster gaming... There are likely going to be more people who deliberately scale it back again, even though they once were at the top of the food chain, e.g. Raf Colantonio. With cycles like that, you're eventually not merely wasting up to a fully ~decade of your lifetime on but a single project. The biggest reason for these cycles remains graphical fidelity as well, aka the visual upgrade, rather than doing something inherently "fresh".

And after you're finished, the upgrade cycle starts anew...

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The over sexual female companion is such an annoying RPG trope by now. It's always the one that you don't think will be one. Then this "subversion" is played out from the introduction to the end of the game, slowly driving you mad by having your eyes roll into your brain by the cringe.

The over sexual female companion is such an annoying RPG trope by now. It's always the one that you don't think will be one. Then this "subversion" is played out from the introduction to the end of the game, slowly driving you mad by having your eyes roll into your brain by the cringe.
If I made a CRPG, I would troll players by making the most incredible femme fatal in history, let the layer pursue, then on the cusp of romance, she either rejects or ghosts them.

frajaq

Erudite
If I made a CRPG, I would troll players by making the most incredible femme fatal in history, let the layer pursue, then on the cusp of romance, she either rejects or ghosts them.
My good sir would you be interested in working for the next Owlcat game?

Elttharion

Learned
You would probably sell millions of copies considering how popular cucking (and NTR) is nowadays.

MjKorz

Educated

1. Great in bedroom
3. Big magic

Fur combined with human facial features looks vile. That thing looks outright vomit inducing.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

1. Great in bedroom
3. Big magic

Fur combined with human facial features looks vile. That thing looks outright vomit inducing.

I'd say she's about 50%
furry.jpg

MjKorz

Educated
Sounds like a typical Owlcat "romance", except with less cuckshit.

MjKorz

Educated

1. Great in bedroom
3. Big magic

I'd say she's about 50%
furry.jpg

She's not 50%, she has a hooman nose. Absolutely disgusting.

MjKorz

Educated
Fur combined with human facial features looks vile.
Do you guys also cuck-raging over Orlan when Pillars of Eternity 1/2 released, or is it just a current day thing?
Always thought of orlans as being disgusting. Never recruited that Druid in PoE and Serafen was even more disgusting in Deadfire. Ugh, I still remember his dogshit "Onions are shitapples" joke that almost made me vomit.

Hobknobling

Learned

1. Great in bedroom
3. Big magic

Speech animations somehow keep regressing with these modern titles. Rather would have the original Half-Life blabbermouth animations than whatever is going on in here and this is PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom