Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting

MjKorz

Educated
Has this amazing original character reveal been posted yet?

Looks like a very fleshed out personality:
1. Great in bedroom
2. Has a lover who is skilled with his hands
3. Big magic

The cringe is very strong in this one.

Speech animations somehow keep regressing with these modern titles. Rather would have the original Half-Life blabbermouth animations than whatever is going on in here and this is PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL.

Bring back VtMB speech animations.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
That twitter post was actual dialogue.
:deathclaw:

Why do millennials and zoomers constantly write characters that tell you about their sex lives two seconds after meeting them?

Is this how modern people talk near game development centers?

My last game was about combat hookers and you're making me cringe.

I feel sorry for everyone involved.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter

Why do millennials and zoomers constantly write characters that tell you about their sex lives two seconds after meeting them?

it was written by women

basically every problem on earth is because of women

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter

also don't throw us under the bus, our generation is fine, just all women need to be muzzled and forced to never leave the house

men didn't write the dialogue for this character, and if one did it was a fag

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

also don't throw us under the bus, our generation is fine, just all women need to be muzzled and forced to never leave the house

men didn't write the dialogue for this character, and if one did it was a fag
Or a really horny degenerate. So basically a discord mod / redditor.
The sort that goes on about death by dommy mommy thighs or some weird shit.

user

Savant
The over sexual female companion is such an annoying RPG trope by now. It's always the one that you don't think will be one. Then this "subversion" is played out from the introduction to the end of the game, slowly driving you mad by having your eyes roll into your brain by the cringe.

One minor correction, sexual *whatever* companion - doesn't apply only to females.

Unlike 99.999% of you, I don't care if the companion/npc is gay, trans, furry, whatever-sexual, commie, nazi etc. And sexual innuendos, flirting and all that jazz may have a place in an RPG, sure - it's a part of life after all.

But this trope is just sewer-tier fanservice, cheap and artificial, made for thirsty people who actually want to play dating sims and the like. Hell, power to them, respect and all that.
Just don't advertise it as a personality shitty hypocrites, be honest and say something like "we added a character our target audience can fap to" or something.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

it was written by women

basically every problem on earth is because of women
Pretty much.

Many people in my feed today are discussing yesterday's meme about how Tradpub killed men's sci-fi and fantasy. Some are even questioning whether men's sci-fi and fantasy is really "a thing". As someone who does read novels, a lot of them, by writers of both sexes, I can assure you it is "a thing." Read on through this effort-post and be illuminated!

Imagine a fantasy novel that features an army marching to battle. The battle is hard fought, but the heroic side wins. Afterwards, the main hero celebrates the victory by consorting with a paramour. That's the plot.

Now, let's assess male and female-oriented versions of this story.

In the male-oriented version...
- We'll begin with an in-universe prologue written in third person omniscient High Tolkienesque style. Thereafter, the book will be written in the close third person point of view of a character who has almost no emotions or inner monologue.
- There'll be detailed descriptions of the mustering and march of the army with orders of battle that prover the author is the world's leading expert in 13th century Genovese military history.
- We'll see several angry war councils in which angry men anger each other angrily because everyone else is either reckless or cowardly.
- The battle will begin with a tragic skirmish that costs the life of a beloved side character.
- The battle itself will cover 3-4 chapters, in which the main hero will lose his armor, break his weapon, be covered in gore, and accomplish some battle-winning feat. Real-world military tactics will be used.
- A B plot point of view will illustrate what it's like for the band of delta brothers on the front lines, in which they will express that while war is hell, it's better than working the fantasy equivalent of a desk job at Ikea. Many will die bravely without regret, except for the married one, who will get a poignant death scene.
- Afterwards, the main hero will find his paramour and there'll be a sly suggestion of intimacy to finish: "Conandude eyed the beauty. 'Aye, lass, now it's time to come to my tent.' " In any case, no actual sex will take place, ever, and it is possible that this will be true of the author in real life as well.
- The End.

In the female-oriented version...
- We'll begin in close third-person or first person with emotional descriptions of the nervous fear of soldiers mustering for battle, with commentary that the fear is making the main hero horny.
- The orders of battle will be vaguely described to the hero, probably by a low-tier gamma male who she ignores, while the main hero fixates on whether her paramour will survive the battle because he's not the chosen one like her, though he is a billionaire vampire dragon knight.
- The lead-up to the battle will take 60-70% of the book, during which time we will learn about the main hero's childhood struggle to master her inner demons and her need to maintain her independence from the amazing billionaire vampire dragon knight that threatens to overwhelm her with his raw sex appeal.
- During the battle, the main hero will save everyone by unleashing special powers that only she has. Her annoying bitchy rival will die unredeemed. No real-world military tactics will be used, or if they are, it will be by the losing side, to its humiliation. The whole battle will only take 1 chapter.
- Afterwards there will be a chapter describing the psychological horror of having had to fight a war. The main hero may wander the battlefield distraught until she finds comfort in the arms of the billionaire vampire dragon knight, who will finally open up to her emotionally.
- The next 2-3 chapters will describe in intimate detail her consortium with her paramour with details on what it's like as he shapeshifts into dragon form. Male readers will stop at this point in horror at what cannot be unlearned.
- Finally, the book will end with the main hero, billionaire vampire dragon knight at her side, giving a speech commemorating the battle and pledging to end all war forever.
- The End.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about the difference between male and female fantasy!

Women took over fantasy/sci-fi and made it incredibly effeminate.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This won't get talked about publicly, but I remember about 7-10 years back there was a lot of bitterness among some writing circles because all the science fiction awards were being awarded to women/minorities to the point where people have started noticing. Probably still ongoing.

Just did a google search and yup, seems like all the best novelist winners of the Hugo Award since 2019 were women. Edit: The last male winner was in 2015 and that was Cixin Liu of Three-Body Problem fame, who basically can't be snubbed. Some black woman I've never heard of won three years in a row.

But writing awards are a joke, just like awards in most things, especially when it's just a popularity contest.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
This won't get talked about publicly, but I remember about 7-10 years back there was a lot of bitterness among some writing circles because all the science fiction awards were being awarded to women/minorities to the point where people have started noticing. Probably still ongoing.

Just did a google search and yup, seems like all the best novelist winners of the Hugo Award since 2019 were women. Edit: The last male winner was in 2015 and that was Cixin Liu of Three-Body Problem fame, who basically can't be snubbed. Some black woman I've never heard of won three years in a row.

But writing awards are a joke, just like awards in most things, especially when it's just a popularity contest.
Yeah, it was called Sad Puppies and was concurrent with gamergate.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
If only it were a popularity contest. What it is currently is so much worse than a popularity contest. It like naming Carrie the Prom Queen even though she's weird and plain looking and no one really likes her, and then everyone pats themselves on the back instead of dropping pig blood on her. She didn't really earn prom queen. She doesn't have any of the qualifications to be prom queen. But you made her prom queen just so you could feel better about yourself. In the end, you basically ignored the person who actually deserved the title, and that title means less and less every time you do it.

Vatnik Wumao
If only it were a popularity contest. What it is currently is so much worse than a popularity contest. It like naming Carrie the Prom Queen even though she's weird and plain looking and no one really likes her, and then everyone pats themselves on the back instead of dropping pig blood on her. She didn't really earn prom queen. She doesn't have any of the qualifications to be prom queen. But you made her prom queen just so you could feel better about yourself. In the end, you basically ignored the person who actually deserved the title, and that title means less and less every time you do it.
Same shit as with the Oscars or Eurovision. It's all a politicized circlejerk.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's affirmative action + virtue signaling + insider politics. And all these awards wonder why they're no longer relevant.

I was recently reminded that something as lol-worthy as the BAFTA for video games exist. Let's see what this prestigious award had for 2023, shall we?

1721961630695.png

Pffffttttttttt. I'll at least give them BG3 because that's what the non-codex hivemind liked.

user

Savant
It's affirmative action + virtue signaling + insider politics. And all these awards wonder why they're no longer relevant.

I was recently reminded that something as lol-worthy as the BAFTA for video games exist. Let's see what this prestigious award had for 2023, shall we?

View attachment 52731

Pffffttttttttt. I'll at least give them BG3 because that's what the non-codex hivemind liked.

If it was up to me, I'd give most of them to AW2, which is a great, highly original, piece of art, unlike the generic slop that BG3 is (still an ok game, that "compensates" its flaws with its production cost/quality).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom