Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting

scytheavatar

Scholar
Wasn't really impressed by the trailer. If I had seen this a decade ago it wouldn't have looked impressive in terms of graphical fidelity.
I was watching Cohh who was watching IGN after the xbox presentation; some dude at IGN said the obvious that it looks like MS is investing in Inxile much more than Obs and that one'd have thought it woulda been the other way around. Which you can tell by looking at both games' production quality from the trailers, so either MS has been believing in InXile more for some reason or Obs fucked it up with access to same MS resources. Whadaya guyz think?

Ask yourself what sounds more exciting: a Bioshock Infinite clone or a medieval version of The Outer Worlds. Then it should be obvious which game deserves more hype.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Congratulations! It isn't bulimia! It's a cancer!

Chris Avellone undoubtedly approves of this move though.
The indications from Obs. is that Chris Parker is calling the shots for the next "AAA" project (his shallow take: "hey, I get to make Skyrim!"), so I'm already done even if ol' "hope my employees guess frame of mind today" Chris Parker's management style wastes countless dollars and time. (To his defense, he learned this shit-stained argument from Fergie McFerg who would change his mind on a daily basis and not tell anyone - but what I can't condone from Parker is how pig-eager he embraced it, and also, how he was the best person to... "realize" it. Cue sad trombones - all of them, everywhere.)

But in terms of money vs. time: MS has the former (dollars) to spare... the best part, is the secondary part, time, which is a FAR more rare resource for MS.

Eventually, regardless of terrible producer/exec producer* demands, you need to deliver on something players want/may want... and I'd never want to play a Chris Parker-inspired game, esp. if it was one Fergus agreed to... without profanity.

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1051209094483206144
I have read Patel's Buried Life and enjoyed it, however, so I do like her writing.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Congratulations! It isn't bulimia! It's a cancer!

Chris Avellone undoubtedly approves of this move though.
The indications from Obs. is that Chris Parker is calling the shots for the next "AAA" project (his shallow take: "hey, I get to make Skyrim!"), so I'm already done even if ol' "hope my employees guess frame of mind today" Chris Parker's management style wastes countless dollars and time. (To his defense, he learned this shit-stained argument from Fergie McFerg who would change his mind on a daily basis and not tell anyone - but what I can't condone from Parker is how pig-eager he embraced it, and also, how he was the best person to... "realize" it. Cue sad trombones - all of them, everywhere.)

But in terms of money vs. time: MS has the former (dollars) to spare... the best part, is the secondary part, time, which is a FAR more rare resource for MS.

Eventually, regardless of terrible producer/exec producer* demands, you need to deliver on something players want/may want... and I'd never want to play a Chris Parker-inspired game, esp. if it was one Fergus agreed to... without profanity.

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1051209094483206144
I have read Patel's Buried Life and enjoyed it, however, so I do like her writing.
I think Chris in different place that he was in 2018. Now he can be sincere.

notpl

Arbiter
The trailer has an absence of virtually everything because they don't have a game yet, dude.

still not a reason to buy into the hype, or claim that Obsidian Writing™ will fix it all

Also, they've been working on this game for how long? :lol: and you think they don't have any RPG elements to show for yet? And you're sure it will get better?
I said no such thing.

Delterius

Arcane
(To his defense, he learned this shit-stained argument from Fergie McFerg who would change his mind on a daily basis and not tell anyone - but what I can't condone from Parker is how pig-eager he embraced it, and also, how he was the best person to... "realize" it. Cue sad trombones - all of them, everywhere.)
what the fuck obsidian should be imitating bioshock, not inxile

jf8350143

Liturgist
It appears that Inxile gets a much bigger budget for their game than Obsidian and it kind intrigues me. I assumed it would be the other way around.

Wonder What Brian Fargo has to do for Spencer to get so much money.

Quillon

Arcane
Ask yourself what sounds more exciting: a Bioshock Infinite clone or a medieval version of The Outer Worlds. Then it should be obvious which game deserves more hype.
They ended up with "medieval version of TOW" but their pitch was Skyrim clone, which shoulda been more appealing premise for MS; Skyrim was a much more successful game than Bloomshock. Also Obs had made high budget games before so it shoulda been more of a shot in the dark trusting InXile more but it seems to the case somehow.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It appears that Inxile gets a much bigger budget for their game than Obsidian and it kind intrigues me. I assumed it would be the other way around.

We can't really tell by a trailer that Clockwork Revolution has a higher budget than Avowed.

What we can say is that it probably has a higher budget trailer.

Why? Maybe because inXile is a lesser known studio (and more-or-less completely unknown to AAA normies), so they need to try harder to impress. Remember Brian Fargo's Kickstarter pitch videos with their fancy live-action skits?

Quillon

Arcane

We can't really tell by a trailer that Clockwork Revolution has a higher budget than Avowed.

Why? Maybe because inXile is a lesser known studio (and more-or-less completely unknown to AAA normies), so they need to try harder to impress. Remember Brian Fargo's Kickstarter pitches with their fancy live-action skits?
Haven't Inxile went on a hiring spree snatching people left and right, even from Obs, where as Obs mostly stood still in terms of personel? Isn't that any indication?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Why? Maybe because inXile is a lesser known studio (and more-or-less completely unknown to AAA normies), so they need to try harder to impress. Remember Brian Fargo's Kickstarter pitch videos with their fancy live-action skits?

Or that they haven't pissed away their budget.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

We can also tell that inXile has slightly better art design.

Not by much, but just enough so that people aren't immediately making xbox 360 comparisons. They only make those once they really thought about it :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Why? Maybe because inXile is a lesser known studio (and more-or-less completely unknown to AAA normies), so they need to try harder to impress. Remember Brian Fargo's Kickstarter pitches with their fancy live-action skits?
Haven't Inxile went on a hiring spree snatching people left and right, even from Obs, where as Obs mostly stood still in terms of personel? Isn't that any indication?
Going by employee counts: inXile has about 100 and for all we know they're only working on this one game. Obsidian has about 300 working on two big games. Microsoft is certainly spending more money on Obsidian overall.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Going by employee counts: inXile has about 100 and for all we know they're only working on this one game. Obsidian has about 300 working on two big games. Microsoft is certainly spending more money on Obsidian overall.
Those dumb motherfuckers. I told them, I told them over and over again.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Lmfao.. :lol:

114tM7O.png

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Different times, different Obsidian. Don't count on more than Fantasy Outer Words.
Outer Worlds were horrible for what they promised, but considering them without the bias stemming out of hurt hope and almost-false advertisement, they are an okay FPS/RPG hybrid filler with some bright moments.
I would love to have something along the lines of an uplifted and modernized Messiah of M&M only in Eora, but I'll take fantasy Outer Worlds clone as well.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Different times, different Obsidian. Don't count on more than Fantasy Outer Words.
Outer Worlds were horrible for what they promised, but considering them without the bias stemming out of hurt hope and almost-false advertisement, they are an okay FPS/RPG hybrid filler with some bright moments.
I would love to have something along the lines of an uplifted and modernized Messiah of M&M only in Eora, but I'll take fantasy Outer Worlds clone as well.
Maybe Fergus thinks this way - people like Skyrim, but Skyrim is long. Most of customers collect games, not spend a lot time with. Solution? Short Skyrim, just like Outer Words were short New Vegas.

Delterius

Arcane

I slightly disagree here.

Yes, we don't know the actual scale of either game. We know Avowed is closer to TOW than Skyrim. And we can assume Clockwork won't be massive, like the thing it is trying to copy. But what we know for sure isn't which trailer has the better budget, but which game went through dev hell and which didn't.

I expected Avowed to be in beta at least. What the hell.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But what we know for sure isn't which trailer has the better budget, but which game went through dev hell and which didn't.

It seems to me that Clockwork Revolution's trailer is operating in the "cinematic reveal" mode. While Avowed's trailer is operating in the "hey look, finally actual gameplay!" mode. Two different types of trailers with different amounts of investment into polish that go into them.

But sure, I agree with that.

Delterius

Arcane
But what we know for sure isn't which trailer has the better budget, but which game went through dev hell and which didn't.

It seems to me that Clockwork Revolution's trailer is operating in the "cinematic reveal" mode. While Avowed's trailer is operating in the "hey look, finally actual gameplay!" mode. Two different types of trailers with different amounts of investment into polish that go into them.

But sure, I agree with that.
That's true, and for what it's worth Inxile at least made clear what game they are actually making. Seems like half of the reveals were cutscenes with no connection to gameplay or even genre.

I still don't know if the new Fable is Punch Out with the IT guy or not.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Maybe Fergus thinks this way - people like Skyrim, but Skyrim is long. Most of customers collect games, not spend a lot time with. Solution? Short Skyrim, just like Outer Words were short New Vegas.

Holy fucking Cope.

Here's what happened.

> Fergus and Chris thought they could make Skyrim
> Skyrim turns out to be very expensive to make, it takes a long time and a lot of resources
> Obsidian needs to release this game, they've been futzing about for years on it (Working From Home), Skyrim will not be achievable by this team
> Okay, slice it up into a Outer Worlds game and fucking ship it

Why?

Whenever game developers get in a room and head larp about a game.. they imagine the world - the greatest thing ever, they pretend they care about scope but it's all a facade.. 4 years later, all those imaginations and dreams become a reality and it's usually a broken pile of shit.

Fergus is taking the nearest exit off the highway and shipping what they can, which will be a 30 hour snore fest with 2 years of abandoned half-features left on the cutting room floor.

If they can sell you Outer Worlds for 69.99.. Why invest the time to make Skyrim for 69.99 ??
Hell - With game pass, it seems any turd is "good enough" so just fucking ship it.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

If they can sell you Outer Worlds for 69.99.. Why invest the time to make Skyrim for 69.99 ??
Isn't I said something similar? :)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Isn't I said something similar? :)

It has nothing to do with Fergus thinking "Oh.. People only play skyrim for a few hours, maybe they won't notice"

It's more - "We failed to make Skyrim - fuck it ship anyways"

But I guess in a way yes.

Mazisky

Magister
So they didn't learn from Pillars 2 and decided again to scrap the classic environments and go exotic with the weird world and biome.

Meanwhile Baldur's Gate 3 sells millions copies with the classic forests and meadows and so will do the Witcher 4 and Elder Scrolls 6.

But hey, let's find an original setting nobody cares, the one with alien vegetation and strange colors!

Ryzer

Arcane
Who are the gameplay designers on this game? Roguey enlighten me.
So that maybe it will single-handily save this game from the bottomless pit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom