Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting

Dycedarg

Learned

Obsidian doesn't seem to know how to sell this game. For all their flaws, Bethesda made sure to put emphasis on everything they thought would make people like their game, namely how massive it is. They also showed things like space battles, the player character highjacking a ship, a space colony, a dinosaur and talked about how many planets you can visit. As for Avowed, all we have is that it's a realt time game in first person that takes place in the world of PoE. Is that it?
What the heck
Narrative Lead
@Obsidian
| Formerly
@RiotGames

@CallofDuty

@EA

@2KGames
| Writer on Jinx, Yasuo, and Zac | The tweets are mine | He/him
https://twitter.com/RansomLo
:negative: Jeez his twitter is glorious.
His linkedIn mentions that:

Honors & Awards​

• Semifinalist - Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting​

Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences​

I placed in the top 30 (out of over 6000 entries) in the annual screenwriting competition held by the organization that awards Oscars for excellence in film. I even received a phone call from the guy who produced Network(!), telling me how beautiful he thought my writing was.
So we can expect this game to be as well written as Valorant or a Call of Duty campaign.

Obsidian needs to recover their reputation. Try to avoid being compared to Bioware or Bethesda too much, especially the latter since everyone talkes about this game as a Skyrim clone. Thing is, Obsidian's claim to fame is having better writing, and you can't really show that in a trailer that's a few minutes long.

Moink

Cipher
Not even copying Bioware like people previously said, but rather copying a studio who copies Bioware, a very brave choice.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Wasn't really impressed by the trailer. If I had seen this a decade ago it wouldn't have looked impressive in terms of graphical fidelity.

Takamori

Learned
Obsidian needs to recover their reputation. Try to avoid being compared to Bioware or Bethesda too much, especially the latter since everyone talkes about this game as a Skyrim clone. Thing is, Obsidian's claim to fame is having better writing, and you can't really show that in a trailer that's a few minutes long.
Kinda hard with Faggus there. Also bleeding the guys that made New Vegas happen and PoE 1 was just the nail in the coffin.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Thing is, Obsidian's claim to fame is having better writing, and you can't really show that in a trailer that's a few minutes long.

Also something that's arguably absent for over a decade. The last Obsidian game that most people can agree on for having good writing is F:NV.

Otherwise it's a toss up. Unlike most of Codex, I didn't hate Tyranny. I actually think the writing is relatively solid for the main plot and a few of the characters.

Kinda hard with Faggus there. Also bleeding the guys that made New Vegas happen and PoE 1 was just the nail in the coffin.
Can't do much when you willingly jump into projects that are difficult to maintain and your management has always proven to be... less than ideal, to say something.

Takamori

Learned
Thing is, Obsidian's claim to fame is having better writing, and you can't really show that in a trailer that's a few minutes long.

Also something that's arguably absent for over a decade. The last Obsidian game that most people can agree on for having good writing is F:NV.

Otherwise it's a toss up. Unlike most of Codex, I didn't hate Tyranny. I actually think the writing is relatively solid for the main plot and a few of the characters.
My issue with Tyranny was the size of the content and the proposal not delivering what in theory meant. Be a villain a tyrant. Otherwise the game is all right.

My issue with Tyranny was the size of the content and the proposal not delivering what in theory meant. Be a villain a tyrant. Otherwise the game is all right.
CRPGs have a pathological aversion to actual evil routes that aren't just cartoonishly evil, but I wouldn't blame the devs when it's also a consequence of the state of D&D after the satanic panic thing of the 80s.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
You know, there was a change in atmosphere right there in POE 2 compared to POE 1. While absolutely bland and more convoluted than it had any right to be, POE1's general themes dealt with pretty somber stuff. I haven't completed POE2, sure, but right from the get go you can feel that it becomes a fun fantasy flick with pirates, a giant cartoony god, and more shenanigans of the sort. So it anything changes, it's not like it hadn't happened before.
Deadfire obviously tried to emulate Critical Roll vibes. Original Pillars starts out with a much more melancholic atmosphere that unfortunately evaporates by the time you reach Defiance Bay, it's the only time this IP had anything resembling a unique identity of it's own.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Avowed plot: some shit is happening in The Living Lands. The PC character finds out that this is related to some problem with the Maegfolc and the gods, after the events that happened in PoE1 and 2. Probably some shit god as Rymrgand. The PC character resolves the issue, but at the end some other thing happened due to it. The end.

You heard it here first.
wrong. there's an engwithan machine that makes the living lands go and you're now the herald of galawain because the cycle of reincarnation is breaking down there first.

Third time is the charm for making a main plot about gods that nobody cares about.
For the final twist it'll turn out that the Gods were actually real all along. The engwithans didn't create them, all they managed to do was attract them from the void and imprint upon them a bit, but the imprinting is now breaking down and the shoggoths beneath are starting to show.

I checked the comments section to the video and there are some people that never played PoE 1 or 2, so there are still fresh people ready to be disappointed.
In about a year and a half, it's gonna be a decade of POE1. Those dudes were probably in middle school when the game was released.

Delterius

Arcane
I checked the comments section to the video and there are some people that never played PoE 1 or 2, so there are still fresh people ready to be disappointed.
In about a year and a half, it's gonna be a decade of POE1. Those dudes were probably in middle school when the game was released.
there's a deluge of 20 somethings who think skyrim is too old to be playable meanwhile you old fools argue about silly things from dust to dust

there's a deluge of 20 somethings who think skyrim is too old to be playable meanwhile you old fools argue about silly things from dust to dust
I thought Skyrim was unplayable before it was cool.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist

Tyranny lures you in with the premise of being a bureaucratic cog for an invading empire who is now tasked with establishing some kind of order in a territory freshly fucked by two rurly warbands only for it to immediately deteriorate into dungeon crawling antics and a insipid plot about obtaining godlike powers and defeating the dark evil.
Within mere hours all it's novelties are reduced to aesthetics and your left with a lame and brazenly unfinished BG imitation, I'll never understand the apologists.

Delterius

Arcane
I thought Skyrim was unplayable before it was cool.
meanwhile i employed the powers of empirical research to get to whiterun and observe that skyrim is merely frigid

i studied the blade and its 'snake, snake, fish' inscription

-M-

Educated

Honors & Awards​

• Semifinalist - Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting​

Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences​

I placed in the top 30 (out of over 6000 entries) in the annual screenwriting competition held by the organization that awards Oscars for excellence in film. I even received a phone call from the guy who produced Network(!), telling me how beautiful he thought my writing was.

This is the equivalent of failing a job interview and putting that job on your résumé.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Deadfire obviously tried to emulate Critical Roll vibes. Original Pillars starts out with a much more melancholic atmosphere that unfortunately evaporates by the time you reach Defiance Bay, it's the only time this IP had anything resembling a unique identity of it's own.

Deadfire starts with your character dying and ends with a potential apocalypse on the horizon.

Kryos is the big baddie you're railroaded into opposing unless you pay $14.99 to unlock the "uh, nevermind lol" dialogue option at the end.

That ending was patched in for free, you didn't need buy anything. It came about because the original game was supposed to be about you becoming the overlord. Then they ran out of money and had to end it at act 3 of a 5 act game. When it was clear it wasn't going to get a sequel, they added in that non-standard ending (which wouldn't have made sense in the context of their original plan).

Quillon

Arcane
Wasn't really impressed by the trailer. If I had seen this a decade ago it wouldn't have looked impressive in terms of graphical fidelity.
I was watching Cohh who was watching IGN after the xbox presentation; some dude at IGN said the obvious that it looks like MS is investing in Inxile much more than Obs and that one'd have thought it woulda been the other way around. Which you can tell by looking at both games' production quality from the trailers, so either MS has been believing in InXile more for some reason or Obs fucked it up with access to same MS resources. Whadaya guyz think?

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
People cutting Obsidian slack for only showing lame action sequences in the trailer, while claiming how great current year Obsidian writing is gonna be.

Noticed how every PS:T retrospective only needs to show a few seconds of dialogue and you know what's up? You see that dialogue window with 10 possible responses and you know what kind of game it will be. The absence of anything RPG-y in this trailer is ominous, and not in a good way.

The Outer Worlds was aimed at casuals, and Avowed will be no different.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom