Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Codex Year of the Donut
article reads like a fanboy jacking off his favorite artist

Codex Year of the Donut
commenters don't seem interested
image.png

The hype for Outerworlds died nearly as fast as it grew, most of it was generated by the anti-bethesda backlash near the exact same time as its release date. Nobody except game journos seem to remember it at all.
Second guy actually mirrors a lot of codex criticisms -- in that they attempted to create something that sorta looks like a Beth-Fallout game at first glance.

Codex Year of the Donut
Familiar creatures such as the lizard-like Xaurips will appear, alongside much larger and deadlier threats, all the way up to wyverns and drakes.
I'm pleased. Pwgras and godlike creatures are a must have.

Can you play as Fampyr?
I think Xaurip might be the only creature name from PoE I actually liked. It's short and doesn't pretend to be some fancy madeup language word. If I read it, I'd guess it might be the sound the creature makes.

commenters don't seem interested

The hype for Outerworlds died nearly as fast as it grew, most of it was generated by the anti-bethesda backlash near the exact same time as its release date. Nobody except game journos seem to remember it at all.
Second guy actually mirrors a lot of codex criticisms -- in that they attempted to create something that sorta looks like a Beth-Fallout game at first glance.
Outer Worlds did not have wifes anon! Did not! It was American California space virgin simulator anon! It was!

Dodo1610

Arcane
This reads like a fake reddit leak.
Guy talks about pre-production but says he had seen pre-alpha footage. Doesn't even seems know that TOW uses UE4. But the funniest part is that he says lightning has't been implemented but mentions glowing mushrooms. Also he claims to have talked with devs but he doesn't even know if it's open world or hub-based when the scope of a game is usually one of the first things devs decide on since OW require different tech than small hubs.

TLDR I highly doubt Jez has seen the game or knows anyone involved with the production. There isn't a single detail in this report that wasn't leaked before anyway.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I kinda don't really care anymore.

If they make it a hub-based Skyrim with improved systems and better narrative drive and C&C/C&E, I might be up for it if my day is otherwise good.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Avowed will feature many elements Pillars of Eternity fans will be familiar with. Wizard spells like Jolting Touch, which can fry enemies with forks of lightning, will be present. Two-handed spells like Fireball are conjured using complex-looking hand gestures, but decimate enemies in a storm of magma and fire.
There will be a generic electricity spell? Spellcasting uses animation for the player's hands? Wow!!!

In a parallel universe, Feargus again manages to sweet talk Altman into letting them develop a "New Vegas" for Skyrim in early 2012. Two years later, "The Elder Scrolls: New Orsinium" slam dunks into the bestseller lists, scoring 84 on Metacritic.
It's a buggy mess, but the game directed by Sawyer is well designed and finishes on time, with the writing led by Avellone considered by some to handle The Elder Scrolls better than Bethesda themselves.

Avowed wants to be that game. But it won't. What drove me to back the Pillars games was the fact that they were PC-centric RPGs that focused on stats-based gameplay over fancy cutscenes. I didn't care much for the world, it ended up rather boring and forgettable. Putting their Skyrim clone in this world feels like they're limiting themselves.

Frankly, it surprises me that this is still going after Microsoft aquired Bethesda. Zero point in having two Skyrim successors in production to compete with one another.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zero point in having two Skyrim successors in production to compete with one another.
Eh, thing is that Elder Scrolls 6 official release date is 6-6-2066. No amount of Microsoft money will make Bethesda able to produce a game quicker than that. Avowed will be completed, sold, and forgotten within the next 3 years.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Frankly, it surprises me that this is still going after Microsoft aquired Bethesda. Zero point in having two Skyrim successors in production to compete with one another.

MS also has inXile working on some fprpg and car game people working on a new Fable. They want Game Pass fodder by any means necessary.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Microsoft want enough open world RPGs in development to be able to release one every year. Nothing weird about that, it seems to work well enough for Ubisoft.
Experience shows that such schedules merely tie up manpower in producing trash so there is no one left to work on actual RPGs in the AA segment.

The only hope left is in the indies.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Experience shows that such schedules merely tie up manpower in producing trash so there is no one left to work on actual RPGs in the AA segment.

The only hope left is in the indies.

I don't believe there's even anyone left at Obsidian or inXile who would be excited about making turn-based/rtwp RPGs. They want to make Skyrims, Disco Clones, and co-op-focused things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom