Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bad News: Chaos Chronicles development on hold due to legal trouble with bitComposer

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'm not angry with bitComposer, for all we know they've been sending good money after bad all this time and if this had been kickstarted, we'd be in a Double Fine-style situation right now.
What's with Double Fine then?
I don't follow them cause they haven't done anything that has interested me.
They ran out of money.

That is pathetic.

LeJosh

Savant
Like many of us here I'm seriously looking forward to this, I've not done much digging but what's the actual cause of this?

I guess that info' will be on stand-by until later.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Like many of us here I'm seriously looking forward to this, I've not done much digging but what's the actual cause of this?

I guess that info' will be on stand-by until later.
The HobGoblin42 post seems to hint at what HHR said:
Most likely Bitcomposer wants to get a better deal and the developpers will ultimately have no choice but to agree.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Jokes aside, I also cannot imagine that it will not be released. Supposedly it is 95% finished. All is implemented and it is mostly late beta now.

So, either they will have to work it out with bitComposer or fuck the publisher and change anything that binds them to the publisher (and it is not IP or engine with most of the systems as far as I remember).

If they are bound with some other shit (like bC was paying for most of it and has some final word on release - which is not likely as it was reported that the game is financed by Bavarian state), and there is no way out for them to make a profit, they may consider to leak it into the pirate domain for free and consider themselves BRO.
I really hope it will not end like "Six Days in Fallujah" that was allegedly also "almost finished" but is still in limbo due to some law issues...

Delterius

Arcane
Once HGoblin said Bavaria only accounted for, if memory serves, around 30% of their funds. The number might be skewed, but I remember that it wasn't most of their expenses - after all, HGoblin brought it up amidst accusations that they were abusing statal patronage.

That said, by the Gods CC is in my wishlist!

:mob:

GamesInquirer

Literate
I tried to improve the petition while keeping it relatively short and to the point. Always keep in mind nobody can be blamed at this point and until someone manages to get answers from either party, while we also don't really know the state of the game itself, as promising as it may have been the way it's been marketed. Still, even if this goes sour in any way, it is support for games with that vision, so that those involved and those watching can still try to fill this gap, even if Chaos Chronicles itself won't for any reason.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...nicles-to-be-completed-as-originally-intended

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Once HGoblin said Bavaria only accounted for, if memory serves, around 30% of their funds. The number might be skewed, but I remember that it wasn't most of their expenses - after all, HGoblin brought it up amidst accusations that they were abusing statal patronage.
Now IIRC that money is actually a loan, which makes this situation even shittier.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

I gotta say though; the rage against bitComposer is, if not surprising, at least a bit stupid. We have no idea whether this is just Coreplay having nothing but a broken game to show despite being close to release, and bitComposer refusing to pour more money into it or whether it is, in fact, evul publishuuur. It can be any number of reasons, really, and there's no reason to speculate.

I don't know who's to blame here, all I know is this is some serious bullshit. Easily my most wanted game of 2013.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I wonder (contractually wise) if they can just tell bitcomposer bye bye and just go forward on this via Kickstarter?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
pony-rage.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If they can slap injunctions on them I doubt their contractual relationship is such that the devs can just walk away.

Darkforge

Augur
Oh Fuck off! god fucking dammit. The rage that courses though these viens right ow.. You could bottle it :(

This is the 3rd rpg that's been practically in the last stretch that was 86'd at the last minute that ive been following. There's still a measure of hope, we don't know what's the deal, but likely both bitcomposer and coreplay were not on the same page for development requirements, and a publisher needs to understand the risks they are taking. At the end of the day they're the one paying the bills and need to make sure the devs give them what they're paying for. On the other side the devs need to give clear idea of where they are headed, and reaffirm the trust the publisher had in them. If coreplay has kept missing internal deadlines or milestones you can't fault the publisher.

If I were coreplay i'd be getting a kickstarter planned pronto and get the word out. I'm certan this game would fund in a very reasonable range comparable to other recent projects. Not mention the next gen consoles, especially the PS4 with their very easy self publishing model and super fast conversion rate from pc to ps4 would def be the road i'd take, or steam green light it if kickstarter won't work. I do wish the team the very best. I've not tossed in the towel yet though.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Signed but only 96 signatures so far. Isn't there someone on the Codex that knows how to use a proxy to sign something a thousand times?

If the game is 95% finished, I wouldn't be surprised if the publisher wants them to change the combat to something like Diablo 3 or RTWP.

Vival

Augur
Signed but only 96 signatures so far. Isn't there someone on the Codex that knows how to use a proxy to sign something a thousand times?

If the game is 95% finished, I wouldn't be surprised if the publisher wants them to change the combat to something like Diablo 3 or RTWP.

Yeah or maybe they did it because they are pure evil and enjoy our suffering but judging from the planned release date earlier this year, Coreplay seem to be several months behind schedule and now the usual thing might be happening: the publisher gets pissed and wants the game out, while the developer try their best to convince the publisher to keep paying the bills until finally they had enough of the bullshit. A niche game without a juicy franchise that promises good sales and a smallish bottom feeder publisher; that probably doesn't leave much wiggling room when it comes to the budget.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Prophet DarkUnderlord enabled Vapourware thread title couple days ago, coincidence? I think not.
In the end all will be resolved by lowering Coreplay salary. Game probably will come out but with sour taste in mouth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom