Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
fk15bFT.jpg
That's some very Torment-y stuff - the meaning and power that names possess, e.g. her new name is a reflection of her transsexual identity, just like how opening the bronze sphere and learning your true name was the climx of Torment.

Looks like that collaboration with Chris Avellone is really paying off. :troll:

I hope that this is sarcasm.

Nah he's deadly serious, hence the deadly serious troll emote.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Mizhena is literally a possessive pronoun ("my"/"mine") agluttinated to the noun for "woman" in a number of Slavic languages. Some deep writing there... Gaider would be proud.

is the screen half black because you're zoomed out next to the edge of the map or something?

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
I think we need more context on that line of dialogue. Is it meant as a joke or are they actually serious about this?

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
It's quite obviously serious. It's quite obviously really bad, out of place and jarring. It's also quite obviously only 3 lines of dialogue from a random NPC that sits at the edge of the map.

Not that that will stop anyone here from writing a thesis about it. WE MUST GO DEEPER

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
It's quite obviously serious. It's quite obviously really bad, out of place and jarring. It's also quite obviously only 3 lines of dialogue from a random NPC that sits at the edge of the map.

Not that that will stop anyone here from writing a thesis about it. WE MUST GO DEEPER

It's a masterful piece of trolling, designed to trigger grognards and violate the safe space that is IE. Pretty sure MCA is behind this.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
If you think that is bad writing, try to play with Dorn or Hexxat in BG2:EE.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
from a random NPC that sits at the edge of the map.

PoE's writing got thrashed, rightfully, because of its secondary npcs shallowness. I don't see why SoD would get a special treatment.
I mean, especially when it's this retarded :lol:

It's not special treatment, the game has been out for less than 24 hours and that's literally three lines of dialogue from a single NPC (that may or may not be representative of a script that must run well over thousand upon thousands of lines).

I really really doubt there's more than one token tranny in the game. Judging the entire product on this is silly, but then again the people claiming they won't play the game after seeing it were never going to anyway.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So how much better Siege is than Pillows of Eternity?

THIS MUCH.

Beamdog’s first effort at original storytelling is a good start, and I’m excited to see more in the future,a studio that’s done with just enhancing older games and ready to carve out a place among the top storytellers in the RPG sector.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron

PoE's writing got thrashed, rightfully, because of its secondary npcs shallowness. I don't see why SoD would get a special treatment.

It's not special treatment, the game has been out for less than 24 hours and that's literally three lines of dialogue from a single NPC (that may or may not be representative of a script that must run well over thousand upon thousands of lines).

I really really doubt there's more than one token tranny in the game. Judging the entire product on this is silly, but then again the people claiming they won't play the game after seeing it were never going to anyway.

Beamdog have been known for bad writing, it's one of the complaints that you hear the most on their own forum. It shouldn't come as a surprise to see that screenshot.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Then again every other proper reaction I've seen so far (including the two reviews released) has been positive. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
It's not that Beamdog is bad as a developer, or that their writing is the worst in the history of gaming (it isn't). The problem is that they are trying to make content for a game like Baldur's Gate. They can't live up to the standards of the original game, and that's why it doesn't matter what they release, it will be a disappointment.

They are doing the same thing that Bethesda did with Fallout, just not as rapey.

ArchAngel

Arcane

PoE promised PST level writing, IWD level dungeon romps and BG2 level world exploration and fun. It had none of any of that, only some traces.

BGSoD promised more of BG1. It gave that with some more BG2 mixed in it.

If you have unrealistic expectations based on non existing promises that is a problem your psychiatrist needs to solve, not us.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't know why you think it's a tranny, though. Did nobody think that maybe the parents were insane and actually raised an actual girl as a boy?

But seriously, apart from the fact that hurr durr let's put in token tranny I don't see what's so bad about that. Baldur's Gate writing is crap anyway, it's not like this would stand out, and it's funny seeing tranny stuff being criticized by weeaboos.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am also against making Bg3 that would be about child of bhaal.

I would prefer an original story that if it must can use some of the old characters and maybe even some older storylines but not have children of Bhaal anymore.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Judging the entire product on this is silly

Nah, judging it based on their writing for 2 enhanced editions, they have years of this "quality of writing" under their belt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom