Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldurs Gate 2: Capstone to the Golden Era of crpg's?

Ratty

Scholar
Binary said:
PST is no Ultima
Does it try to be?

Fallout is no Wasteland
In which ways is the latter superior to the former?

Naked Ninja said:
Alright then, so if we draw a line, on 1 side we have Arcanum the drab and Realms of Arcania, on the other....every other crpg ever released???
And the entire Fallout series. Yes, both Fallout and Fallout 2 could be beaten with little or no physical violence, and it wasn't even that difficult to accomplish. If you don't believe me, look up a walkthrough.

And Planescape:Torment, which did have some compulsory combat parts, almost all of them very short and laughably easy.

Nice strawman, by the way. I don't notice anyone criticizing the emphasis on combat in BG. However, I do notice a lot of people rightfully complaining about how combat is almost universally underwhelming and unenjoyable.

Raapys

Arcane
Hmm, I never thought combat in BG2 was particularly less entertaining than that of Icewind Dale, PS:T or NWN. In fact, since I usually play a caster-class myself I find it much more fun than in most other games, since the available selection of spells is second to no other game I've played.

Ratty

Scholar
Raapys said:
Hmm, I never thought combat in BG2 was particularly less entertaining than that of Icewind Dale, PS:T or NWN.
Neither did I. However, that doesn't say much, seeing as I find that combat in all the games you listed is about as enjoyable as snorting the contents of tubgirl's colon.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
And the entire Fallout series. Yes, both Fallout and Fallout 2 could be beaten with little or no physical violence, and it wasn't even that difficult to accomplish. If you don't believe me, look up a walkthrough.

I don't need to look for a walkthrough. I tried it myself. The ONLY reason I played Fallout was because of the Codex's going on about it, about the wonderful opportunities for roleplay, about the non-combat paths, about the choices and consequences. I missed the game when it came out, and never would have had the inclination to try it. But I read such high praise here that I asked my mates, one had the collectors set, I got both of them and gave them a try.

I took diplomacy, because dialog options are so awesome in Fallout, right. And science, because I like being a brainy character and though it might get me some sweet insights and suchlike that other characters would miss. And small guns, so that if the worst came to the worst I wouldn't be completely helpless. And I focused my stats in charisma and intellect. Guess what? I got into fights every time I tried to wander between towns, and plenty of the quests involved combat, only having Ian along saved my ass. And in the hours I played I don't think I found a single opportunity to use my non-combat skills. Awesome! But I must not have been trying hard enough, right? When I walked through the desert and got into randomly generated battles, it was my own stupid fault, huh? I obviously forgot to wear my protection from random encounter underpants.

I tried to be non-violent in my choices. But to get water from the merchants I needed to do a handful of caravan protection runs. Then I heard the ghouls might have a water chip in the necropolis, so I thought let me investigate. Luckily they were instantly hostile and attacked on sight, kind of like the mutants in F3 that everyone complains about. In california I think it was, with the mayor who wants to kill that gang, even if I have video evidence that it wasn't them and a fucking high speech skill, I have no option to persuade him, only to fight. No, I'm sorry, thats bullshit. If I need to cheat by finding a walkthrough to see this magical non-violent path of yours even after I build my char around diplomacy and intelligence then it doesn't fucking count.

Nice strawman, by the way. I don't notice anyone criticizing the emphasis on combat in BG

Maybe you need glasses?

Neither did I. However, that doesn't say much, seeing as I find that combat in all the games you listed is about as enjoyable as snorting the contents of tubgirl's colon.

As opposed to Fallouts boring turn based battles against 12 mutant mantises? Or a group of raiders? Where both side just shoot their guns, tries to heal or runs away? Oh the excitement. Maybe it got better later on, but I don't read halfway through boring books hoping they will get better either.

Arcks

Educated
Naked Ninja said:
When I walked through the desert and got into randomly generated battles, it was my own stupid fault, huh? I obviously forgot to wear my protection from random encounter underpants.

Outdoorsman skill is there for a reason. I mean, what the fuck, you except to run through wastelands without survival skills and except not to meet violence?

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Outdoorsman skill is there for a reason. I mean, what the fuck, you except to run through wastelands without survival skills and except not to meet violence?

And would outdoorsman have prevented the ghouls from attacking me in Necropolis, or have changed the quests that involved violence to not? Because most of them seemed to.

But I see what you are saying. If I choose to build a character around a role-playing concept I have, even if a relatively peaceful concept, Fallout is mostly combat. But if I take a very specific single build, then I can get through it without fighting. So it's not roleplaying choices I make during the game that determine whether I resolve things peacefully, it is mostly if I guess at the char creation screen what skills will actually prove useful in that goal (Best.roleplaying.ever). Stupid me, since everyone on the codex talked about the dialog I expected it to be the primary skill in that regard, you know, diplomacy. Haha, how silly.

(I'd like to point out at this point that taking Outdoorsman as a beginning skill, for a char supposedly locked in a vault for his entire life, is pretty frikken nonsensical. But I guess you learn all you need to know about surviving in the irradiated outdoors from old video reels of the pre-holocaust world, right? haha, yeah sure.)

elander_

Arbiter
Naked Ninja said:
I don't need to look for a walkthrough. I tried it myself.

Maybe you did, to know if you played the game right or hit some nasty bugs that prevented you from progressing. If you don't have enough int, cha or speech skill you may not see all dialog lines. In many ocasions you need maxed int and cha attributes and 200+ speech. Fallout has a few bugs during quests, that can be misleading. Some dialog lines that should be activated don't and things like that.

I took diplomacy, because dialog options are so awesome in Fallout, right. And science, because I like being a brainy character and though it might get me some sweet insights and suchlike that other characters would miss.

That is true. You get more dialogs and more insight while playing a diplomat however some quests are closed to you as a diplomat.

And small guns, so that if the worst came to the worst I wouldn't be completely helpless.

That was mistake. You can fire a weapon without raising your small guns skill. Just shoot at anything start a fight and your companions will do the killing for you. I only raised my skill to 50% to avoid destroying my weapon with a critical failure since my luck is 1. You won't need to kill any npcs, only the ocasional radscorption and rat.

A diplomat is very demanding in character creation. If you do a mistake it may be hard to play. My last char was called Doc Jinxed and was like this:

ST:3
PE:5 (good for a medic)
EN:3
CH:10 (OR 9 REQUIRED)
IN:10 (OR 9 REQUIRED)
AG:8 (good for ac and running away)
LK:1 (lots of funny crytical failures)

Traits:
Fast Shooter (you will never be a great shooter anyway)
Good Natured (REQUIRED)

Tag Skills: Speech, Science, Medic, Repair

And I focused my stats in charisma and intellect. Guess what? I got into fights every time I tried to wander between towns, and plenty of the quests involved combat, only having Ian along saved my ass.

Buy books and ask Tycho to give you some clues on outdoorsman. Plus you can flee from most encounters or avoid the most dangerous by taking the safer caravans.

And in the hours I played I don't think I found a single opportunity to use my non-combat skills. Awesome! But I must not have been trying hard enough, right? When I walked through the desert and got into randomly generated battles, it was my own stupid fault, huh? I obviously forgot to wear my protection from random encounter underpants.

I raised my characater to level 5 only in Vault 13, Shady Sands, Vault 15 and Junktown and the only thing i killed was a few rats and a radscorpion to get the radtail for the Shady Sands doctor to build an antidote. Actualy it was Ian who did the killing. When i shot my gun it criticaly failed and was destroyed.

My charcater now has 150 in speech, 100 in science, 100 in Doctor, 50 in Small Guns, 30 in Repair and i have Dogmeat, Ivan and Tycho as companions, plus 2500 gold caps.

I tried to be non-violent in my choices. But to get water from the merchants I needed to do a handful of caravan protection runs.

Not necessary.

Then I heard the ghouls might have a water chip in the necropolis, so I thought let me investigate. Luckily they were instantly hostile and attacked on sight, kind of like the mutants in F3 that everyone complains about.

It happened because you looted their things. You can even talk to some of them and they wont attack.

In california I think it was, with the mayor who wants to kill that gang, even if I have video evidence that it wasn't them and a fucking high speech skill, I have no option to persuade him, only to fight.

Not the only way to solve the situation.

No, I'm sorry, thats bullshit. If I need to cheat by finding a walkthrough to see this magical non-violent path of yours even after I build my char around diplomacy and intelligence then it doesn't fucking count.

Nobody said that you didn't have to use your brains to play a diplomat. If you pick dialog lines unwisely you may end up getting screwed. So save before you get near an npc you want to influence. There are also bugs that hide dialog lines and variables that aren't update if you do something the quest scripter wasn't expecting.

Still from the perspective of someone interested in learning about game design it certainly counts to see what Fallout developers intended to do with the game. Fallout was great because they followed a solid design principle that is to recreate the PnP experience and put the computer as a Game Master.

They made many noobe mistakes and their TB combat recreation is very lacking but this is a game that is considered a classic not only by the codex but by everyone. It's also the game that Bethesda wants to follow for reasons they don't have a clue.

Ausir

Arcane
Hory said:
Imbecile said:
I wonder if we did a correlation of Golden Age of RPGs by the age of each person, there would be some sort of link?
If I recall correctly, Isaac Asimov said people's Golden Ages are usually in their second decade of life.

It was Peter Graham, and he said "The golden age of science fiction is twelve".

Section8

Cipher
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Systemwise, yes. Gamewise, I doubt it. Nostalgia would have to be hanging quite high over your head to consider the Gold Box better in the design department than the Infinity Engine games.

There was design to Baldur's Gate? And here I was thinking they'd just "ported" game rules from AD&D sourcebooks to a kludged real time system. Everything from the 6 second "turns" to the massive dependence on luck for the first 3 or so levels and the horrible system of magic are tailor made for something that is a long way from a CRPG. I have no real nostalgia for the Gold Box series. I owned none of them, and my experience with them is limited to playing them with friends on a C64. At the time, they were mindblowing. Baldur's Gate on the other hand was my first step toward realising glitz and subtance were two very different thnigs.

Not really. They, like their Infinity Engine counterparts were bested by loads of other games, namely Ultima, Wizardry,

I wouldn't say the interfaces of Ultima IV-ish or Wizardry VI-ish were streets ahead of the Gold Box series. A reasonable summation would be to say that each were taking the RPG UI forward in different ways. It would be fair to say that by the end of the Gold Box series' run, Wizardry and Ultima had stepped ahead, both with their seventh installments. It's just a shame that both titles, in 1992 are both at least as good as Baldur's Gate, if not better. I'm playing Wizardry 7 at the moment, and my only gripe with the interface is the way you have to use the journey map kit. My only gripe with Ultima 7 was the act that your backpack would re-sort itself. I have a lot more dramas with Baldur's Gate and Torment, the only Infinity Engine games I could force upon myself.

Now that's just bullshit. Both the Gold Box and the Infinity Engine were pretty much meeting the par in most areas for their times and failing in a few.

Baldur's Gate took the gameplay of an RTS, got rid of the strategic layer, made tactics irrelevant for 90% of combat, and added a bunch of superfluous bullshit, like VO, 5 CDs worth of pre-rendered backgrounds, dynamic loot piles, CG cutscenes. I just don't see how it meets anyone's standards. If I wanted RTS, Total Annihilation was a better option. If I wanted a RTS with a tactical focus, there was Starcraft. If I wanted a squad based tactical combat game, there was Jagged Alliance or even the X-Com series. If I wanted an adventure game with grindy combat and level-ups, Japan has about a thousand better options. If I wanted something that alternately failed at being serious and failed at lulz, there was Jerry Springer.

Baldur's Gate only made par in the same respect that New Kids on the Block managed to carve out a few successful singles - they both represent well marketed mediocrity that appeals to people with low standards. It made me realise that my standards were much higher, and that I shouldn't take true gems like Fallout for granted.

I guess the game didn't click with you then or you likely have never actually given them much of a chance, because this is most certainly not the case in any challenging or dangerous battle, of which there can be many. There's a lot of micro-management involved.

But the fucking micromanagement is generally you vs the interface/pathfinding. If your cockwits actually did what you either told them/scripted them to, there would be little need for micro-management. And if you think it's your mad skillz that got you through tough fights, think again. The fight against that fag at the gigantic castle pretended to be an inn is the classic example. The whole fight was pretty much decided by the result of a single roll when he cast fear against your party. There was never a sense of toughing out a heroic victory against a superior opponent, just the luck of the dice which would seemingly result in either death, or an unscathed victory. Same goes for the kobolds with a single arrow that can one-shot you or... do nothing at all to you. Micromanagement and tactics in general pale in comparison to sheer luck.

Of course that doesn't happen if you never pick up a party and just run around with a couple of guys with swords.

If there was just a single NPC that didn't shit me so much that I couldn't stand to have them in my party, maybe I'd have more than just a couple of guys with swords. Fake multiplayer for the win.

I still don't understand why people yammer on about this and blow it out of proportion when both the manual and the readme file described how to fix this by turning up the search nodes.

Hah! Of course that was my first port of call. I set it pretty fucking high, and it still couldn't manage to navigate a single character around an ally. Even on a beastly computer by today's standards, you just can't set the nodes high enough to stop your party from being fucking idiots.

Involving is an interesting choice of description. Your complaint would lead me to believe that you find in very non-interactive, because you have a certain detachment of control over your character. Funny enough this exists in pretty much any RPG with a solid basis in stats. Take Fallout for example (ignoring called shots). I tell my character to shoot, and watch him do it.

Bullshit. You could do that, but you're not going to get far until you're overpowered. Compare that with Baldur's Gate where you select an enemy and then sit back for a minute while your character auto attacks each fucking "turn", until you either win or get one-shotted and have to reload. Is there a reason to move once you've engaged an enemy in Baldur's Gate? There sure as hell is in Fallout.

Same thing with an archer in the Infinity Engine games. The only advantage Fallout may have is the instant gratification and tactile sensation of your character shooting when you press the button. Surely something petty and insignificant like that wouldn't be the reason you deem the combat terrible...

I consider Baldur's Gate/2's combat to be shithouse for the same reason I consider the tunnels filled with ants under Necropolis to be shithouse. There's no fun in going through the motions for a preordained result. The best the Infinity Engine seems to manage to "spice things up" is to throw in the occasional critter that wont' hit you 80% of the time, but when it does, it instantly kills you. Wheee.

Did we play the same games? The voice acting was very well done in all the Infinity Engine games. Though I'm going to assume it was he activation and command sounds given by the characters that irritated you. Funny enough, there was an option to turn them off in the sound options menu, so it's not really much of a flaw.

Oh, I tried very hard to silence those fucks. Didn't really work out for me. Also, I couldn't silence the scumfucks you had to talk to to advance the storyline or various quests, and there were a plethora of shitholes that would force "conversation" with you. Even trying to be fair, I can't think of a single character I'd actually want to hear from Baldur's Gate. I liked Morte in Torment, but not enough to justify dragging myself through the shitty combat just to progress through the IF component.

It's not Fallout, it's not some grim or gritty setting. They were fantasy romps to kill monsters. Does everything need to be Frank Millerized?

I'd be more inclined to say Oblivionised, where objects and buildings that have supposedly been standing for decades or centuries are curiously spotless and shiny.

What in the blue hells have you been smoking? First off, they were only a year apart, and second, you've got to be kidding.

You can judge by year alone if you want, but when one game is released in the beginning of January 1997 and the other in the end of December 1998, I'll take certain liberties and call the 23.5 month gap two years.

As for the graphics - tech wise, they're pretty comparable, but Diablo edges Baldur's Gate out in art direction. Both have their fair share of high-fantasy cliches, but Diablo oozes style and polish. Baldur's Gate wasn't exactly amateur, but there aren't too many sprites I could look at and say "that's clearly Baldur's Gate. It couldn't belong in any other game."

Actually....Baldur's Gate 1 used a lot of the same assets over and over in a lot of places. Just saying.

Yeah, it does. but the environments still look more unique than most tile based games before and after.

Uhhh....what contemporaries? Fallout was in a league of it's own so to say. Diablo was totally different. Ultima....was a corpseraped zombie. Daggerfall was very different.

That's pretty much the whole point of Baldur's Gate. It took a genre that was floundering, put a new and popular spin on it and voila! It still can't match the very few titles it had to compete with.

Character diversity....definitely in Fallout 1, not so much in the combat oriented sequel. Character development of course goes to Fallout. But then again, Fallout was one of, if not, the best. That's not saying much.

Why step back from the best? Why the fuck should it be acceptable to present something that isn't even half as accomplished as its predecessor, or many games that came before? If someone had put a first person shooter without normal/parallax mapping on the market post FEAR, it would have been crucified as "archaic". Why not the same for shit game design?

Three classes beats seven? What? And Diablo's character development was almost as bad as the Dungeons and Dragons leveling as you were gently forced into putting your points into certain places.

Diablo transcended its classes. You'd be fucking kidding yourself if you tried to say your level 10 warrior was the same as mine, and the coercion was gentle at worst. I seem to remember playing an intelligent warrior that was capable as both a mage and a fighter. In Baldur's Gate, you have what, a skill point every second level or so and the occasional spell selection. Whoop-de-fucking-doo.

Class based with possibility of variation between characters depending on race, ability, and some aspects left to choice by the player, almost exactly like the Infinity Engine. Sure, it got deeper as time went on, but that tends to happen after, you know, seven or so sequels.

Again, you had a lot more control over how your Wizardry characters developed compared to Baldur's Gate.

Wow....come on. Stop the hyperbole. That's just a lie.

Why? I seem to remember a vast array of spells, a whole bunch of skills with very distinct purposes, more profound item bonuses... I can't see how any Infinity Engine game beats it. The best the Infinity Engine offers is a broad rage of spells, but can't come close to the stat development or skills of HOMM.

While I'd have to be senile or imbecilic to deny the overabundance of combat, it wasn't that much. Try around 65-80% depending on the game (not including Torment) with the remaining gameplay devoted to NPC interaction, exploration, and Bioware's unfortunate love of stupid puzzles that you couldn't just have your mage with 18 intelligence insta-solve.

I'm not counting "exploration" since that basically amounted to mowing the fog of war looking for fights - it's essentially "downtime" or dead wood that the game would have been better off without. The NPC interaction was worse than the combat and best skipped over as quickly as possible.

Subjective and uninformed opinions passed off as fact are always great. There were plenty of well designed and challenging encounters that took strategy spread throughout the Infinity Engine games.

In four, maybe five chapters of Baldur's Gate and the first bit of Torment, I can't recall anythin I would consider tactical or strategic. Maybe once I sent two fighters with stone immunity up against a basilisk while everyone else stood back. I could go into great detail of nail biting and dramatic Wizardry 7 combats I've had in the last hour.

Which could be easily fixed with the search nodes being turned up via the config file. Or just a little bit of extra effort. It's not like the pathfinding would trap your character in a narrow spot and force you to reload often if you had a party.....

Heh, I was about to say exactly the same thing... except ironically.

Baldurs Gate 1....yes. Any of the dungeons like the Firewine Bridge and the Ulcaster school were pretty awfully done.

Let's say hypothetically you played a game, didn't enjoy a single aspect of it - in fact, found it horribly disappointing as a release from a publisher with a reputation for quality and a couple of top notch recent releases. Where's the compulsion to play the sequel, or other spin offs with the same core gameplay? You won't see too many people rushing out to grab Dungeon Lords 2 in the hopes that it's magically leaps and bounds ahead of it's shitty predecessor.

I'm not exactly getting this one. In fact I'd say it's the opposite. Not enough mechanics were integrated to provide for further depth. Example being non-weapon proficiency, certain non-combat spells, and the like.

That's another part of it. It lacks depth, especially outside of combat. But everything that is implemented is just chucked in there with little regard for context.

Who? There are no Bioware-alikes. Bethesda follows their own beat, Diablo clones are far more pervasive, and jRPGs just refuse to die. Not one non-Bioware RPG has embraced their ideals.

Bethesda don't follow their own beat, they just go with whatever is perceived to be popular. And right now, that's a pausable real time system not unlike KOTOR. They're also going with the same shitty polarised morality and the same focus on "cutting edge" graphics and linear plotlines.

But I'm not even talking about direct clones, like Drakensang. I'm talking about the general trend of forgoing depth and gameplay for shallow mass-market pulp-fiction bullshit, which Bioware have always had in spades.

None of which can be attributed to the Infinity Engine. Go blame Diablo and jRPGs. Or the Gold Box for spawning the idea that a game with AD&D on the box will sell despite being inferior to most of the games on the market.

Diablo admittedly deserves to cop some of the blame. But there was a time when Diablo was considered an abomination that didn't deserve the RPG moniker. And then there were a whole bunch of games that came along and poorly rehashed Diablo's combat as a frontend to crappy yet "epic" narrative, and they were praised as the pinnacle and saviour of RPGs. Dangerous words and dangerous thoughts.

Okay, what did the Infinity Engine or Bioware do to piss you off so much. Whenever it's mentioned you click into rage mode and go from incredibly well informed type of fellow to guy throwing around a ton of muck, much of which is baseless and ill-informed with some good points in between. Sure, there were a lot of problems, like the huge amount of variability in early game combat like you pointed out awhile ago, sure Bioware really screwed up by placing tons of relatively boring nonsense and saving the good stuff for later in the first BG. Sure, it wasn't Fallout. Sure, the tone of the writing was absolutely schizophrenic in many places and the writing was often...B-movie quality. But it's not that bad if only via the fact that it is a much better RPG than 95% of crap out there.

You could say the same sort of things against Oblivion. It ain't that bad when viewed as just a game. But when you look at it within context of the industry at large, read nothing but glowing reviews for something that is pretty average and the constant suggestion the more, if not all games should be striving to be more like it... well, you develop something of an aversion to it. The Infinity Engine, like Oblivion, is ultimately forgettable. However, the trends that both set and the irreparable damage they do to gaming and game design can't be denied. That's why I embark upon unholy crusades against both. You'll notice I do the very same thing for games such as Doom 3, which dealt many blows to the FPS genre.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
In many ocasions you need maxed int and cha attributes and 200+ speech

Thats fucking lame. All or nothing huh?

That was mistake.

Why was it a mistake to think that my char might need a little bit of combat skill to survive? I had no idea when or if I'd get companions, I was venturing into the dangerous wastes, so....

ST:3
PE:5 (good for a medic)
EN:3
CH:10 (OR 9 REQUIRED)
IN:10 (OR 9 REQUIRED)
AG:8 (good for ac and running away)
LK:1 (lots of funny crytical failures)

Geez like, thats as bad as d&d games where every fighter has a charisma and intelligence of 1.

Good natured was required? Ugh. That just infuriates me more.

Buy books and ask Tycho to give you some clues on outdoorsman. Plus you can flee from most encounters or avoid the most dangerous by taking the safer caravans.

Where is this Tycho?

Not necessary.

I know it isn't necessary but I was, you know, playing a guy trying to stop his people from running out of water, not doing that quest is counter-intuitive.

It happened because you looted their things. You can even talk to some of them and they wont attack.

Um, they were hostile when I go there?

Not the only way to solve the situation.

Good thing they hid it so well, I'd hate for my character built around diplomacy to actually be able to use his skill when it logically makes sense, would make the game too easy.

Nobody said that you didn't have to use your brains to play a diplomat.

Now you're getting insulting. It is not stupid to expect that when I have rock solid, video evidence of the mans mistake I can take it to him and show him his error. That is what we call common bloody sense.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Naked Ninja said:
Alright then, so if we draw a line, on 1 side we have Arcanum the drab and Realms of Arcania, on the other....every other crpg ever released???

Yes indeed, the BG series is certainly responsible for this horrifying action/combaty trend in RPGs! Bioware you reprehensible villains you!!!

*waves fist angrily*
Um, I never said BG is responsible for all the problems of the industry. I said it isn't such a great game, definitely not the 'capstone' of the 'gold era' which is what this thread is arguing.

Lumpy said:
One thing that's plain silly in Arcanum is how my middle to upper class characters walk for months between locations. There was no faster way of transportation in the late 1800s?
You do realize there are trains between the major cities of Tarrant's empire, and a subway system within the city itself? The rest of the world doesn't because... it doesn't have the technology!

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Naked Ninja's objections to the almighty "Fallout can be beaten without a fight" argument are pretty sensible. I played that game more than a couple of times, and Fallout2 more than a dozen times. It's true that diplomacy can achieve a lot, if not all in those games. But it's by no means "intuitive". Be honest guys ! You have to already know the game or read a walkthrough to make it without fighting. It sure offers more in that department than any other CRPG (at least that I've played, but that's many of them from the mid eighties to today), but not nearly as close as what the faithful "fall-lovers" would have us believe.

As for the Edward_R_Murrow vs Section8 debate, I'm totally with Edward. He's by no means a IE lover, yet he offers a very decent defense of the game. It's not that bad. And Goldbox games were not that good. There is more here than meets the eye. Section8's frenzy when BG is mentioned is not natural. C'mon Section8, what happened ?

dagorkan

Arbiter
You are right about combat in Fallout, NN.

It is over-rated here and the stuff about 'non combat solutions' is mainly hype. There are theoretically ways that you can play the game without violence, as a diplomat or scientist or engineer, but you have to know the exact path and take the right traits and choose the right answers in critical dialogs... otherwise it will always be some sort of mixture of a fighting game with varying degrees of opportunity to exercise your other skills.

I think one of the big problems is that the fundamental game design is full of 'if/else', 'yes/no' checks. If you have trait X you can do Y, else Z, if you have INT of anything above 7 you get hundreds of extra dialog options, if you have INT <4 X quest solutions will be closed off, if you don't have a random skill/stat at above an arbitrary value you can't do this, etc... It's gamist and good games should be simulationist - you should be able to rely on your intuition to make decisions and not be penalized for not knowing some specific piece of information.

If they'd done the design progressively, eg, you have a certain percentage chance of being able to do something for every unit above a certain threshold, that would have gone a long way toward giving the game the live up to the hype.

Though, it's true, playing a diplomat or scientist would still be very difficult.

But it was a step in the right direction, a direction that Bioware won't even think about trying.

Ratty

Scholar
I got into fights every time I tried to wander between towns, and plenty of the quests involved combat, only having Ian along saved my ass.
It seems you missed a little skill called "Outdoorsman" that exists for the sole purpose of helping you avoid dangerous encounters in the wilderness. And even if worst comes to worst and you find yourself ambushed by raiders or beasts, you are still very much free to make a run for the exit grid. Unless your enemies are armed with lasers and miniguns, you are almost certain to make it.

As for quests, is there someone forcing you at gunpoint to do every quest in the game? If you are incapable of performing a quest in a non-violent way, then don't perform it at all.

And in the hours I played I don't think I found a single opportunity to use my non-combat skills.
Have you even bothered to learn how they work? In Fallout, Intelligence opens additional dialogue options, while Speech determines if they succeed. Unlike BioWare's idiot-proof games, Fallout doesn't prefix your dialogue options with convenient tags to indicate which skill-check they trigger, so you probably used your non-combat skills constantly without being aware of it. Science is seldom used in dialogue, but in later areas (Glow, Military Base, Cathedral) it can be of *great* help when handling computers and other high-tech devices.

But to get water from the merchants I needed to do a handful of caravan protection runs.
Then don't procure water from the merchants. Or let other guards and your followers (you should have a slew of them by now, seeing as you're playing a brainy diplomat) do all the fighting.

Then I heard the ghouls might have a water chip in the necropolis, so I thought let me investigate. Luckily they were instantly hostile and attacked on sight, kind of like the mutants in F3 that everyone complains about.
Ghouls in Necropolis aren't instantly hostile. The only exceptions are the glowing ones in the Vault and the handful of ghouls shuffling about the hotel. Neither are particularly menacing. The latter are actually so laughably slow and weak that you would have to be utterly inept to get killed by them.

In california I think it was, with the mayor who wants to kill that gang, even if I have video evidence that it wasn't them and a fucking high speech skill, I have no option to persuade him, only to fight. No, I'm sorry, thats bullshit. If I need to cheat by finding a walkthrough to see this magical non-violent path of yours even after I build my char around diplomacy and intelligence then it doesn't fucking count.
You also have an option to flee (the most sensible option even for combat characters, and certainly far easier than taking on the Regulators all by yourself) and then return with an entire fucking army (Blades) at your side. As for needing a walkthrough... well, I know of at least two people in the world who were able to solve this impossibly difficult conundrum without consulting a walkthrough. One is me, the other is the author of the walkthrough. Either the two of us are exceptionally gifted, or you are exceptionally incompetent. Take your pick.

As opposed to Fallouts boring turn based battles against 12 mutant mantises? Or a group of raiders? Where both side just shoot their guns, tries to heal or runs away? Oh the excitement. Maybe it got better later on, but I don't read halfway through boring books hoping they will get better either.
Did I mention Fallout? No, I did not. And neither did Raapys. I find myself quite unable to deduce where your apparent obsessive dislike of Fallout comes from, but you may want to consult a therapist, because it's intefering with your ability to debate properly. On the other hand, maybe bumbling use of the strawman fallacy is your normal modus operandi, in which case I apologize for the above insinuation.

For the record, I don't think Fallout particularly excells in the area of combat, but it's still leaps and bounds above BioWare's deficient and chaotic RTwP grind.

So it's not roleplaying choices I make during the game that determine whether I resolve things peacefully, it is mostly if I guess at the char creation screen what skills will actually prove useful in that goal (Best.roleplaying.ever). Stupid me, since everyone on the codex talked about the dialog I expected it to be the primary skill in that regard, you know, diplomacy.
Do you mean to imply that in Fallout choices I make at the character creation screen affect what I can or cannot do in the game? Worse yet, do you mean to imply that *gasp* my character can *fail*? How horrid! How unforgivable! Truly, the louts who designed this second-rate rubbish they call "Fallout" have no grasp of roleplaying at all!

I'd like to point out at this point that taking Outdoorsman as a beginning skill, for a char supposedly locked in a vault for his entire life, is pretty frikken nonsensical. But I guess you learn all you need to know about surviving in the irradiated outdoors from old video reels of the pre-holocaust world, right? haha, yeah sure.
Theoretical knowledge constitutes much - if not *most* - of survival skill, so one can still know plenty about outdoors survival without having any practical experience.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
As for quests, is there someone forcing you at gunpoint to do every quest in the game? If you are incapable of performing a quest in a non-violent way, then don't perform it at all.

You seem to be implying that there was this plethora of quests and I just obsessively chose all the violent ones, right? Sorry, no, there weren't actually that many per hub point. So your argument is that I am playing an RPG, which generally revolves around undertaking tasks, but to get the non-violent path I should avoid the majority of the tasks? Great. I could also avoid the combat by turning off my computer and going and making tea. Avoiding quests isn't the same as alternative solutions to quests.

Have you even bothered to learn how they work? In Fallout, Intelligence opens additional dialogue options, while Speech determines if they succeed.

Maybe thats why I took a char with high Intelligence and Charisma. I think it must be. Pity I didn't realise that only the very highest ranks of those traits really counted. Seems I gimped my combat skills and didn't even get enough points in the other skills to actually get some appreciable difference.

Then don't procure water from the merchants. Or let other guards and your followers (you should have a slew of them by now, seeing as you're playing a brainy diplomat) do all the fighting.

I've already explained that saying "dont get the water then!" when the game impresses you with this sense of urgency about your vaults water situation, is lame-o. And I had Ian when I did those fights. Obviously in taking advantage of Fallouts vaunted free-roaming I took the wrong path.

The only exceptions are the glowing ones in the Vault and the handful of ghouls shuffling about the hotel. Neither are particularly menacing. The latter are actually so laughably slow and weak that you would have to be utterly inept to get killed by them.

Oh I killed them. But then turned around and left, since I didn't feel like getting into more fights with slow shuffling guys who just weren't worth the time. You know, trying to avoid combat situations. Guess I should have read the walkthrough so I could recognize a peaceful zone in clever disguise, har har.

You also have an option to flee (the most sensible option even for combat characters, and certainly far easier than taking on the Regulators all by yourself) and then return with an entire fucking army (Blades) at your side.

Why is that more sensable than talking to the mayor who might have far more resources and skill at organising a counter-attack than yourself? Of course I was aware of the violence option (which needed me to kill 2 deathclaws to equip the gang first iirc, STILL getting me into fucking combat). The point is not that the quest was difficult to figure out, it was that it offered only a violent solution.

Do you mean to imply that in Fallout choices I make at the character creation screen affect what I can or cannot do in the game? Worse yet, do you mean to imply that *gasp* my character can *fail*? How horrid! How unforgivable! Truly, the louts who designed this second-rate rubbish they call "Fallout" have no grasp of roleplaying at all!

There is a difference between affecting a path and forcing a path. And there is a difference between fail and not even allowed to try. Guess what, in every P&P roleplaying game I've ever played, even if playing a fighter I've been allowed to at least attempt negotions, attempt to resolve things in peaceful ways. But you know, if I don't start with a godlike charisma I guess I'm unable to peacefully resolve any dispute whatsoever.

Theoretical knowledge constitutes much - if not *most* - of survival skill, so one can still know plenty about outdoors survival without having any practical experience.

You've met many hunters and trackers who got skilled from books, without ever actually being out there and getting practical experience, have you?

dagorkan

Arbiter
The other thing to remember is that Fallout 1 is a pretty short game (though the perfect length for me) so there aren't that many quests. If you try Fallout 2 there are more alternate quests and solutions to quests, though it suffers from the same fundamental problems.

Andhaira

Arcane
Fallout had randome battles. Even with maxeed outdoorsman you still got random encounters. So NO, you cannot go through the game without combat.

Torment is the capstone to the golden age. Baldur's Gate 2, aka the rise of the Bioware RPG, and Troika's epic failure dealt a mortal blow to PC RPGs that has relegated the genre to indie and east bloc developers. Yeah, there's Obsidian, but they're 1 for 3 in terms of not-buggy-or-terribad games.

Murk

Arcane
I basically agree with Naked Ninja about Fallout. Regardless of which it remains my favourite rpg, hands down.

I do think that the critics of BG2 are being way overly critical in, damn near every aspect - but I also think I'm able to enjoy things a lot more than other people. Low standards perhaps? (no fat chicks plzz) - For instance, I can't actually take Section8's rant seriously or even half-seriously as I think he's using way too much hyperbole for the sake of being caustic, which is fine if you dig that - I like a good bitin' review every now and again.

The game featured wonderful artwork, a fairly interesting and fun battle system (I realize in BG 1 a lot of the fights revolve around saving against a single spell or so but after about level 5 things start to take off, and in BG 2 fights are A LOT more interactive) and enough 'stuff that isn't killing" to do that it kept me interested, but yeah - don't kid yourself, at the heart of the game it boils down to stabbing some big badass muthabusta in the face with a big sword and then taking all his shit... but then again, that's what D&D's all about so I think they did a good job in remaining faithful to ad&d 2.0.

I also don't get the general obsession of playing a complete non-combat game, why not just play adventure games which focus entirely on that? ( Grim Fandango? )

Lumpy

Arcane
dagorkan said:
Lumpy said:
One thing that's plain silly in Arcanum is how my middle to upper class characters walk for months between locations. There was no faster way of transportation in the late 1800s?
You do realize there are trains between the major cities of Tarrant's empire, and a subway system within the city itself? The rest of the world doesn't because... it doesn't have the technology!
Not even for coaches, or at least horses?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
How contextually logical would it be to go through Fallout without combat? Even if the game provided alternative ways to solve quests that didn't involve guns being drawn, you would still have to defend yourself from the radiated mutants and animals. Just because you can talk your way out of a situation in a tow doesn't mean that you're not gonna have to fight against encounters in the wilderness, be it radscorpions or bandits; same as in real life if you get mugged in an alley.

Also, the ghouls in the Necropolis weren't hostile for me the first time I went there. Fallout 1 and 2 were always western-themed P.A. games with a heavy emphasis on combat skills opportunities to use them, but they were for the most part contextually sound. The Fallout games were never advertised as games where you were intended to go through the wasteland without firing a shot, so I disagree with the people here who claim it is "perfectly possible" to go through Fallout 1 and 2 being a diplomat/engineering/whetever; sure it's possible[/]b but in a game-y, stupid sort of way that requires foreknowledge. (However, slamming the game for lacking those things means that person missed the point completely.)

In any game with a setting/premise such as the one presented in the Fallout games combat will always be there: you're living in a fucking wasteland after all, the term isn't bandied about for no reason. Sure, diplomatic or alternative ways to solve quests should always be available, but 0% combat? That isn't even possible in real-life.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
aweigh said:
Sure, diplomatic or alternative ways to solve quests should always be available, but 0% combat? That isn't even possible in real-life.

I never had to use my combat skills ever in real life to reach a goal. Yeah, I do swordfighting as a hobby and also like to shoot at stuff [like on these stands on fairs where you shoot on little ducks], but I never had to use it to... say, finish a quest. It's perfectly possible to get through real life without using combat skills EVER.

It would also be possible in a real-life post apocalyptic wasteland. Yes, it would. You could live in some community as some kind of more or less important person and work there. You'd never have to travel the wasteland and fight stuff. Actually, if you lived in the world of Fallout 2 you could just try to become a Citizen of Vault City and then live there in peace. Simple as that.

Murk

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
I never had to use my combat skills ever in real life to reach a goal. Yeah, I do swordfighting as a hobby and also like to shoot at stuff [like on these stands on fairs where you shoot on little ducks], but I never had to use it to... say, finish a quest. It's perfectly possible to get through real life without using combat skills EVER.

It would also be possible in a real-life post apocalyptic wasteland. Yes, it would. You could live in some community as some kind of more or less important person and work there. You'd never have to travel the wasteland and fight stuff. Actually, if you lived in the world of Fallout 2 you could just try to become a Citizen of Vault City and then live there in peace. Simple as that.

Yeah, YOU could but not the hero of the wastes who's fighting incorporated EVIL.

Suffice to say - if you had to actually put an end to all manner of sinister machinations you'd be in quite a few scuffles as well. If you just lived as a peaceful but important blah blah then you'd just be an NPC and Fallout would be pointless.

In the context of Fallout as a game in which you go kick ass and save shit - yeah, you gotta kick ass.

The frequency and importance of is up for debate however.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom