Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 2 is vastly overrated

You also could get attacked by moving from district to district and you couldn't use magic or sleep in the streets (as guard was interrupting your "camp"), all of which did create an illusion of being in an actual city, even though you didn't have to "more through different zones" for the sake of "immersion".
They sabotaged one of the most interesting immersive restrictions they had when they allowed the player to purchase a magic license for a pittance though. Takes like two minutes to trot over to the government district and buy one making it a pointless addition. Questing in Athkatla would have been a lot more interesting if you were forced to make the cost/benefit analysis for each task, whether it was viable to fight some high level mages or perhaps have a way to dodge them via the Thieves guild/Vampires with strategically placed hideouts.

I liked the interjections. It gave impression of party members having their own opinions on what was happening (including their own personal quests). It's the kind of agency I'd wish to see more in games in general, not just RPGs. The writing itself I can't comment on, because I was playing a translated version and it was done amazingly well, which may contribute to why the writing (or the voice acting) never felt off to me.
I liked them too, but Chon has a point here. They had a propensity for triggering at wildly inappropriate times, just after combat, knee deep in sewage, but sure Aerie, let's chat about the glimmering spires of Elvendom in the setting sun right the fuck now. Subsequent Bioware titles improved this tremendously when they made the wise choice of taking party dialogue off whatever arbitrary timer they had it on and instead opted for sensibly placed locational trigger points based on area or plot progression.

Sykar

Arcane
Cool but it doesn't feel like that in the game.
It does if you explore all maps. The over world is quite huge.
I do not care how it is in the P&P version when you can travel from Candlekeep to Baldur's Gate in the PC game in a matter of a day or two on foot that is a tiny world. This also does not address the fact that the maps are largely empty with at best a little trash loot and trash mobs. 80% of the content is banal shit boring.

If I go to the Brothel of Earthly Delights, do I go on an interesting or mundane adventure?
Is Sigil standard medieval fantasy shovelware?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Ah, yes, I'll never get tired of people attempting to text-wall sell repurposing a phat folder full of ready rts assets by adding "bring X to Y for a reward" quests to it as the ultimate crpg adventure.

Oh, wait, no, I think I got tired of that some time ago already.

But this has been a meh attempt even on that particular scale. I skimmed through it and I don't think I saw a single mention of shield designs or the main menu not being adventurous enough. Your mentor would be quite disappointed, I'm afraid.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
About those wilderness areas in BG1: they're boring because the act of outdoor exploration in BG is boring. The sequel did the right thing by removing them.

I love exploring the landscape in games like Morrowind and Gothic, which are among my favorite games of all time. Wizardry and Might and Magic are also great explorefag games.
Even Arcanum has some good exploration, despite its often lackluster level design.

The problem with BG's exploration is that you're basically just uncovering the fog of war on maps you know the limits of. You start at one corner and go to the other corner, uncovering all the unexplored areas between. The maps never extend beyond those borders. Arcanum had a few hidden areas you find hints about, and which are found in the outskirts of a location, like Saint Mannox's tomb. It takes some actual effort to get there, finding it is like a little puzzle. It works because the world isn't divided into fixed-size screens. You couldn't have such a hidden location in Baldur's Gate.

The act of exploration itself just isn't very fun in BG. It's just rote uncovering of fog of war.

In BG2, you travel between points of interest, and on the way you might get into a random encounter, or find a hand-made encounter (first time you leave Athkatla you find a dying man and can take his corpse along to deliver him somewhere, IIRC). This is actually much closer to how pen and paper D&D works than what BG1 did. In most pen and paper games I played, traveling happened between two locations our party wanted to go to. We got a quest, someone told us where we can find more info, and we decided to travel there. Our party never decided to just fuck around in the wilderness without any goals. And on our way there, the DM would either drop something she had prepared on us, or roll for random encounters. Just like what BG2 does!

I have played hexcrawls before, but even those are different from BG1's wilderness maps. You move from hex to hex, it takes a certain amount of in-game time, then you roll perception to see if you find something interesting. If there's something interesting, the DM tells you, and you can go investigate. If there's nothing, you travel on to the next hex. Arcanum's world map exploration is closer to that than BG's.

You don't spend hours combing through empty wilderness areas like you do in BG1.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
It does if you explore all maps. The over world is quite huge.
It's the map size versus content density problem.

Having big maps (or a lot of lesser maps) isn't necessarily an advantage when there isn't much to do on them. BG2 fixes this by allowing the player to go straight to the important locations, while keeping interconnected areas where it's appropriate. I think it's a good example of a more efficient use of BG map system.

You can argue that it is "less immersive", but I don't really find much immersion in going through a bunch of already discovered screens to get from point A to point B. It also doesn't help when "the huge world" is very same-y looking (because it's all "a wilderness/forest"). I mean, look at that:

2jy3ffi9k6r11.jpg

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They had a propensity for triggering at wildly inappropriate times, just after combat, knee deep in sewage, but sure Aerie, let's chat about the glimmering spires of Elvendom in the setting sun right the fuck now.
No, Aerie, I am not going to bang you, as you are jail bait.

My most fond memory of BG2 was having a romance with Aerie, completely ditchin' it her, and then I left her for months until I asked her to rejoin the party for the final fight and she was like "sup, what about our baby, what are we going to do do with it" and there was a baby in my inventory. This all happened minutes before fighting Irenicus.

They had a propensity for triggering at wildly inappropriate times, just after combat, knee deep in sewage, but sure Aerie, let's chat about the glimmering spires of Elvendom in the setting sun right the fuck now.

My most fond memory of BG2 was having a romance with Aerie, completely ditchin' it her, and then I left her for months until I asked her to rejoin the party for the final fight and she was like "sup, what about our baby, what are we going to do do with it" and there was a baby in my inventory. This all happened minutes before fighting Irenicus.
Life imitates art?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I heard about it.
Never understood how the hell she can keep her pregnancy if she dies, but is resurrected.
Another cringe Bioware romance, it seems.

I heard about it.
Never understood how the hell she can keep her pregnancy if she dies, but is resurrected.
Another cringe Bioware romance, it seems.
So the baby is part of Aerie's body? That's very pro-abortion of you.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The story and quests are overrated, they were good 15 playthroughs ago though, when I was 12.

What is great is the combat engine. One of the best, with SCS. It is actually vastly underrated in that regard, mostly because people (and creatures that shout "muh tb") can't get gud enough for it.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Is it though? Baldur's Gate is among the most generic high fantasy shit #421241253 I've ever seen. It has nothing that makes it stand out. It's banal, shit, boring to the core.
Baldur's Gate came out in 1998. It is one of the defining games of the cRPG genre and one of the first prestigious cRPGs ever released when not considering Gold Box games. What you are saying is akin to someone claiming Lord of the Rings is generic and boring because it has Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs, which is super generic. Baldur's Gate came first, and it is subsequent RPGs that are banal, shit, and boring to the core.
Optional content is good, yes, and I never complained about Underrail's caves because they're genuinely cool places to explore. But BG's forest areas? They're extremely boring. There's nothing there and they don't even look interesting visually. I can leave my house, walk for 10 minutes, and I have better-looking forests with more secrets in them (hunting shelters, shells of decades-old abandoned cars, pottery shards, etc etc... more content density than the BG forests actually). There's nothing about BG's forests that feels interesting to me.
I'm not going to bother drafting a list of encounters and quests in the wilderness areas of Baldur's Gate, but there are a lot of them, and this is a flat out false statement. I am the biggest Underrail stan there is, but even I can admit that the wilderness in Baldur's Gate has more content than the lower caves do in Underrail. Not only that, but exploring in Baldur's Gate feels totally different than exploring in Underrail, and this is in large part due to how zoomed out Baldur's Gate is in comparison, the style of maps and how map transitions work, and the general feel of moving around in IE versus in Underrail.

If you didn't like exploring in Baldur's Gate that's fine, but don't try and claim that there is nothing to see in Baldur's Gate forests and wilderness, when that is just flat out untrue.
Baldur's Gate's setting just isn't enticing to me in any way. The worldbuilding that is there is okay, I guess, but nowhere near the excellence of Arcanum or Morrowind. It's serviceable, and nothing more.
Morrowind feels like a dead husk due to the dogshit that is the gamebyro engine. The streets feel empty and sad, there are barely any people running around, and that is not even mentioning the fact that Morrowind is a shit, first person game, that should not ever be compared to Baldur's Gate. What use is world building when the medium at which you experience the world is a so terrible? Arcanum is arguable but that is also widely considered to be one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Congrats, Baldur's Gate doesn't have as good world building as we see in Arcanum, too bad that is an irrelevant point.

Outside of these two games, which are commonly considered to have some of the greatest world building of any cRPG ever, what cRPGs have superior world building to Baldur's Gate?
BG1 feels as boring to me as those generic D&D novels written in the 80s and 90s. It doesn't feel adventurous at all, it feels incredibly mundane, filled with generic fantasy tropes, lacking the spirit of adventure that, say, pulp magazines used to have. Baldur's Gate's world is about as engaging as Oblivion's, it's that bland.

Except... as much as I hate Oblivion for what it did to the Elder Scrolls series and RPGs as a whole, it has better quest design than BG1. That's how terribly bland BG is.

I genuinely feel like I'm having more of an adventure when I take a walk through my neighborhood, than when I play Baldur's Gate 1. The only reason I'd ever replay it is to level up a character to import into BG2, but playing it is so boring I can't even bring myself to do that anymore.
Your entire argument falls apart because you claim Baldur's Gate 2 isn't bland. If you didn't like the Baldur's Gate series because you thought their traditional fantasy setting was too bland and boring, I would disagree, but at least I could understand it. It's the fact that you praise the sequel while shitting on the original that confuses me.

"We get to visit the Underdark! No freaking way dude! Holy shit is that a Litch?!?!111 Wow I just saw Drizzt! OH MY GOD! The buildings in this city have domed roofs instead of gabled ones!"

It just doens't make sense. Neither Baldur's Gate 2 is anywhere near as interesting and unique as Underrail, Vagrus, Arcanum, Sunless Sea, Planescape: Torment, etc, etc. If that's your required barometer to consider an RPG setting interesting, so be it, but as it stands, it seems like you ruined your brain by playing Baldur's Gate 2 first and are now looking for reasons to rationalize why you can't get into the first movie. This would be like if someone watched The Two Towers first and then claimed Fellowship of the Ring was anticlimatic and boring.
Cool but it doesn't feel like that in the game.
It definitely does. The sheer amount of maps and wilderness which you claim are "useless" most certainly add to that feel, not to mention the waylay events which act as world building while also further emphasizing the feeling of being on a journey as well as the transitions between maps which specify that you've been traveling for hours and need to rest due to fatigue and exhaustion setting in.

Dissapointed in the decline you've been exhibiting in this thread tbh.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Doesn't it? What's so interesting about a village? BG1 is more mundane, because locations you visit are typical to a medievalistic setting. It doesn't have to be a bad thing (I do enjoy medieval aestethics, for one), but I do understand why someone may find it uninteresting (and as a result - not fantastical enough).
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 literally feel like they're in the same setting? Just because the city architecture in Athkatla is different than what we'd normally see in a European city, isn't enough to make it feel interesting or unique. The people all speak the same language as us, a lot of them dress the exact same, they talk the exact same, they do the same things. What is so interesting about the second game if the first was so banal and shit? My point is that the difference in how fantastical the two games are is so razor thin, that trying to claim the difference that was present in Baldur's Gate 2 is what made the setting awesome and amazing is ridiculous.
Or they meant that a forest (by its very nature) looks very same-y AND is a type of environment that's easy for developers to create by using same assets over and over whereas structures tend to require more individualistic approach to not feel like a copy-paste.
None of the wilderness regions in Baldur's Gate look samey and this is a flat out false statement. Just go to the Baldur's Gate Wiki and view the collage of the wilderness areas.
In contrast BG2 features a wide range of unique envrionments, both natural ones and structurally-wise. But this doesn't surprise me, considering BG1 provided everything that was required to make a sequel much bigger and feel much more varied visually.
Many of which feel fake and artificial due to the hub nature of Baldur's Gate 2. I'm not against hub style settings, but not in my Baldur's Gate game.
I liked that NPCs had actual business and thought you were the right man for the job. It contributed to the feeling of the world being alive, not static and waiting for the player. It also completely made sense for me to having an area on the map unlocked after I've learned about it from someone.
I liked the interjections. It gave impression of party members having their own opinions on what was happening (including their own personal quests). It's the kind of agency I'd wish to see more in games in general, not just RPGs. The writing itself I can't comment on, because I was playing a translated version and it was done amazingly well, which may contribute to why the writing (or the voice acting) never felt off to me.
KörangarTheMighty summarized my thoughts quite nicely in his post. These NPCs have no fucking clue who we are. How do they know we are the right man for the job? This doesn't make the world feel alive and unstatic, it makes it feel fake and artificial. And the problem with unlocks is that Athkatla is a fucking city. Why do I need to hear a super specific dialogue if I want to visit the docks? All of the things you name as pros are actually major elements of decline which make the game feel linear and take away the player's agency and harm their immersion.
BG2 cut down the fat by moving you directly to the points of interests. As a result these locations were packed with stuff to do. You also could get attacked by moving from district to district and you couldn't use magic or sleep in the streets (as guard was interrupting your "camp"), all of which did create an illusion of being in an actual city, even though you didn't have to "more through different zones" for the sake of "immersion".
All of the things you mentioned also happen in the city of Baldur in the first game. And they literally do not cut down the fat. Every single zone in the city of Baldur in the first game is a lean steak, no fat on them. Athkatla would have benefit massively from more zones so all of its quests could be spread out, versus what they did which was have a quest giver and/or encounter every five feet you move.
I will raise an even better point: what if you - the player - do not care about Imoen whatsoever? The story could've been handled better in many points, I don't think many people will argue that.
You're just adding to my argument that Baldur's Gate 2 is the inferior game to Baldur's Gate 1. If you don't give a fuck about Imoen in Baldur's Gate 1, you can tell her to fuck right off.
Weren't you surprised that "people have the audacity to say the forest/wilderness regions are there to >pad out content<"? This is exactly why people felt that way: you had more areas, but with not that much to do in them. Why? To "pad out content". And you could sell it as "exploring the wilderness"!. Interestingly enough, this seems to have worked on some people.
Padding out content and having zones which are not filled to the brim with encounters and quests are not the same thing. If you can't understand the difference I'm not going to bother explaining it to you.
Eh, opinions and all that, but it's not up to a debate that BG2's NPCs HAD their personalities (regardless of how good or shitty one may think they were). Also, BG2's environments and dungeons WERE quite distinct. So saying that "Baldur's Gate 2 distinctly lacked in personality" is a plain wrong statement.
Let me rephrase then. It didn't lack in personality, it's personality was just so obtrusive and obnoxious that it would have been better if it had none at all.
Baldur's Gate 2 is not a dungeon crawl though. It has dungeons, but it also has a plenty of open areas (and closed urban areas, which aren't dungeons) and you are exploring various locations and adventuring in general.
I know. My argument is that Baldur's Gate does those open areas far better.
...as opposed to them having pretty much nothing to say?
They do have stuff to say, but yes, Baldur's Gate was not perfect. Doesn't change my actual critique.
The obvious reason for some characters returning as party members is because it was convenient for the developers to extend the number of recruitable NPCs (and give you some starting party members from get-go).

But also new party members were introducted to replace some that were killed or were turned into NPCs. And the reason characters had more things to say in BG2 was because of the "More. Better" philosophy that pervaded the entire sequel.
Thanks for explaining this captain obvious, but it's still decline.
But isn't high fantasy obviously more "fantastical" than low fantasy? While BG1 is an adventure, BG2 is an epic adventure, because goes much higher in terms of what you encounter on the way.
Look at what you quoted. More fantastical does not quate to being better. Just because BG2 is more fantastical doesn't mean it's better, which is my point.
I don't think so. If anything I'd argue that BG2 leaned into the stronger points of the setting by going beyond "low and grounded" stuff. At least from the perspective of how majority views fantasy. If you want "grounded and mature" fantasy I'd argue that DnD is not the best setting for that to begin with.
DnD the ruleset is different from the Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms setting.

Would the hobbits in LotR have an adventure if they never left the Shire?
They did. They first met Gildor and the Elves in the Shire, and that's a very important beat. They could have easily died in the Old Forest (technically outside the borders of Buckland, but still), or if you stretch it a little, the Barrow-downs is one of the most dangerous moments of the entire story.

That's part of the allure and the sense of adventure, I think. You don't have to resort to exotic or far-away locales, there are strange things lurking around every corner - even close to home. This is very true especially for Tolkien's view of fairy-tales.

In fact, I'd say grounding at least some of the story around the main characters' homeland raises the stakes and makes us care more about it - just like they would. It's no accident that there's a "back again", first to Bilbo and then to the Fellowship. It's part of the reason why the movies feel very pointless without the Scouring of the Shire.

Now, this doesn't necessarily relate verbatim to BG (Candlekeep lul), but I quite liked the progression of the story (given its limitations of course), radiating outward from a simple premise. I was much more interested in e.g., the corruption of metal than the whole godspawn nonsense, which got amped to 15 in the sequel.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Also the Shire is not exactly the Sword Coast, where you have all kinds of baddies patrolling the lands. It’s pretty cool but yeah exploration can be tedious but some people can find that… therapeutic.

Uncovering all of the fog of war on a map (or trying to, damn you mountains) is akin to scratching off all of the covering on those scratch off tickets or whatever. It just brings its own kind of satisfaction.

Harthwain

Magister
What you are saying is akin to someone claiming Lord of the Rings is generic and boring because it has Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs, which is super generic. Baldur's Gate came first, and it is subsequent RPGs that are banal, shit, and boring to the core.
Uh...

1) What he's actually saying is: Hobbit is less cool than Lord of the Rings, despite both being set in the same universe.

2) Just because Baldur's Gate came first doesn't mean the subsequent RPGs are banal, shit and boring to the core. In fact, the opposite is stated - that Baldur's Gate 2 is BETTER in this aspect than Baldur's Gate 1.

Morrowind feels like a dead husk due to the dogshit that is the gamebyro engine. The streets feel empty and sad, there are barely any people running around, and that is not even mentioning the fact that Morrowind is a shit, first person game, that should not ever be compared to Baldur's Gate. What use is world building when the medium at which you experience the world is a so terrible?
Morrowind is no Gothic when it comes to creating the illusion of alive world (which Gothic did brilliantly), but that doesn't change the fact that the world of Morrowind has a lot of character, despite being static. It's one of the reasons why people like it so much, even today.

Outside of these two games, which are commonly considered to have some of the greatest world building of any cRPG ever, what cRPGs have superior world building to Baldur's Gate?
Gothic? Despite being pretty simple, it really sells well the idea of being part of the penal colony, how big it is, how it operates and why it keeps operating.

This would be like if someone watched The Two Towers first and then claimed Fellowship of the Ring was anticlimatic and boring.
JarlFrank did say this was big part of the reason why he was disappointed in BG1... I mean, I found Lord of the Rings to be waaaay better than Hobbit and I did read Hobbit before Lord of the Rings, so I am not sure what are you trying to say here.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 literally feel like they're in the same setting?
Yes? So is Hobbit and Lord of the Rings? That's not the issue. For example, in BG1 you don't get to fight a dragon. In BG2 you can fight a few. In Baldur's Gate 1 you don't leave a relatively small area. In BG2 you visit exotic places of the world and even other planes (albeit briefly). That's the difference.

Just because the city architecture in Athkatla is different than what we'd normally see in a European city, isn't enough to make it feel interesting or unique.
Its architecture wasn't really the main reason for it to feel interesting or unique. The fact that it's an urban area alone is good enough to make it more interesting than a middle of nowhere. But what really makes Athkatla interesting (NOT unique!) is the sheer amount of content and places to go within the city. It feels like a bustling metropoly it pretends to be. At least it did that for me.

What is so interesting about the second game if the first was so banal and shit? My point is that the difference in how fantastical the two games are is so razor thin, that trying to claim the difference that was present in Baldur's Gate 2 is what made the setting awesome and amazing is ridiculous.
This. Right here. This is ridiculous. I already said that while BG1 is an adventure, BG2 is an epic adventure. It's a difference between Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. They are not the same merely because the share the setting. Just because both games have Orcs and Goblins doesn't mean they are on the same level.

None of the wilderness regions in Baldur's Gate look samey and this is a flat out false statement. Just go to the Baldur's Gate Wiki and view the collage of the wilderness areas.

You might want to open that spoiler in my previous post, because I did post the image of all maps of BG1 combined. And after you've done that do check out how diverse are the locations in BG2 compared to the incredibly various "the wilderness regions" of BG1.

Many of which feel fake and artificial due to the hub nature of Baldur's Gate 2. I'm not against hub style settings, but not in my Baldur's Gate game.
That's not even an argument - that's an opinion. Just because you find it "fake and artificial" (I don't) doesn't diminish the varied nature of locations in BG2, nor diminishes the opinion of others that locations of BG2 feel same-y and boring (because it's mostly the green wilderness).

These NPCs have no fucking clue who we are. How do they know we are the right man for the job? This doesn't make the world feel alive and unstatic, it makes it feel fake and artificial.
Well, I disagree.

As for how they know we are the right man for the job:

First of all - some NPCs do have an idea as to who we are. I guess you don't know that, because by your own admission you stopped playing very early in the game. Some approach you because of your comrades.

Secondly - you have a party with you, and you yourself (as the player) ARE already a seasoned adventurer after your adventures in BG1. Then there is also the matter of your reputation. As you keep doing things it stands to reason for people to flock to you to get a job done.

And the problem with unlocks is that Athkatla is a fucking city. Why do I need to hear a super specific dialogue if I want to visit the docks? All of the things you name as pros are actually major elements of decline which make the game feel linear and take away the player's agency and harm their immersion.
Again - that's just your opinion. In my opinion it made sense for locations to be marked on the map AFTER I learned about them from someone. Would it be great to be able to find them accidentally on my own? Certainly. But it would also be pointless for the most part to dick around the countryside and bump into something, considering that the map isn't THAT populated with unique areas, so I can see why they didn't go for the Fallout-style map.

All of the things you mentioned also happen in the city of Baldur in the first game. And they literally do not cut down the fat. Every single zone in the city of Baldur in the first game is a lean steak, no fat on them. Athkatla would have benefit massively from more zones so all of its quests could be spread out, versus what they did which was have a quest giver and/or encounter every five feet you move.
Again - an opinion, not a fact. I enjoyed Athkatla how it was done in BG2 and adding more zones to "spread out" quests would hurt content density and, as a result, the illusion of a bustling city where there is a plenty of stuff to do.

You're just adding to my argument that Baldur's Gate 2 is the inferior game to Baldur's Gate 1.
Does BG2 has a weak story (because it had to try and link BG2 to BG1)? Sure. Is BG2 "the inferior game"? Fuck no.

Padding out content and having zones which are not filled to the brim with encounters and quests are not the same thing.
This could be true. Unless it was done that way to extend the amount of locations in a relatively cheap way. Which you can't really deny either. But regardless the actual reason - it still doesn't undermine the opinions of people who find these zones boring as there is not much to do in them.

Let me rephrase then. It didn't lack in personality, it's personality was just so obtrusive and obnoxious that it would have been better if it had none at all.
Eh, I don't agree. I appreciated BG companions over ID "companions".

I know. My argument is that Baldur's Gate does those open areas far better.
That's not an argument. That's an opinion.

Thanks for explaining this captain obvious, but it's still decline.
I wouldn't have to "explain it" had it been so obvious. And I wasn't really explaining it - more like I was presenting a different point of view on the matter. Because I don't think it was done that way for the reasons you stated.

Look at what you quoted. More fantastical does not quate to being better. Just because BG2 is more fantastical doesn't mean it's better, which is my point.
I know what I quoted. I was explaning JarlFrank position as to why BG2 feels more fantastical than BG1. Just beause you think BG2 being more fantastical doesn't mean it's better doesn't change anything about his opinion (or mine). And that was my point.

DnD the ruleset is different from the Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms setting.
But we aren't really talking about the ruleset as such. We're talking about the setting. And Forgotten Realms is a [campaign] setting for DnD. In case of Baldur's Gate we're talking about Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

It's part of the reason why the movies feel very pointless without the Scouring of the Shire.
1) Arguably saving the world is good enough motivator for Frodo to go to Mordor. Before that he "just" delivers the Ring to Rivendell.

2) Galadriel shows Frodo what happens to the Shire in the scene with The Mirror (it's in the Extended Edition though. Frankly, I feel they should have left most of the scenes uncut, because they were really adding to the movie).

1) Arguably saving the world is good enough motivator for Frodo to go to Mordor. Before that he "just" delivers the Ring to Rivendell.

2) Galadriel shows Frodo what happens to the Shire in the scene with The Mirror (it's in the Extended Edition though. Frankly, I feel they should have left most of the scenes uncut, because they were really adding to the movie).
Frodo never expected to "save the world" when he left the Shire - not even remotely. He had no conception of the magnitude of his burden at the outset, indeed not even before the breaking of the Fellowship. As later events transpire, one could argue that the Ring itself wanted to go Mordor just as much as Frodo wanted to complete his mission. Where one ends and the other begins is up for debate.

Re: The Mirror of Galadriel, including a nod to the Scouring in the movie version of that scene was a weak cop-out and one of Jackson's poorest decisions in the entire trilogy. Especially if you consider that truly embarassing scene they added in lieu of it in the extended version of RotK (xtreeeeeme Saruman dive in Orthanc).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why are people so concerned over whether they were pro or anti Imoen.

You literally had a scumbag evil muscle elf wizard kidnap you, torture you, held you prisoner for months, STOLE ALL YOUR PHAT LOOT YOU GAINED THROUGH HOURS OF WORK, threatens to turture/mind rape you more, steal your soul yet you focus on 'he kidnapping my sister'?

How bout good old fashioned vengeance FOR YOUR FUKKIN SELF!?! And, dont tell your me character wouldn't be fir vengeance or dealing with an obvious threat to yourself? That's bullshit. This idea that you would simply ignore Irenicus is pure bullshit.

Also, to the idiot who claimed that the 'dragon wasn't really a dragon in the expansion was actually a demon'. Stop it. It was never a dragon. It was actually a demon. What the fukk made you think it was dragon? Wtf?

Also: BG2 > BG1

If you think otherwise, you are retart.

Reasons:

1. Irenicus > Sarevok

2. Hot Vampire Bootay Bodhi

3. Way better and more varied dungeons. This isnt even close.

4. Areas, by and large, are superior in Bg2. Want evidence. The four wooded areas that appear after UD are BGish yet are the weakest areas in the game.

5. Enemies in BG2 are just cooler. Bg1 largely have dopplegangers, the stoning lizards, ettercaos and a handful of other non humanoid enemies. Bg2 has golems, liches, VAMPIRES, trolls, beholder, illithids, and a host of others.

6. DRAGONS.

7. DRAGONS!

8. DRAGONS!!!

9. Actual optional content and main quest C&C. Choice between Bodhi and TG. Also UD and saghaguin (which could have made a better choice if they had (2nd option) BG1 had only 2 legit main quest c&c. The first was basically do this or die, (the poisoning) and how you dealt with Sarevok's GF.

10. Class guilds. More optional content that added new shit.

11. Character system is deeper and more varied with its.

12. Spells. Mid/High level spells ate beyond sweet.

13. Combat is vastly better. Bg1 combat is reasonably fun compared to most rogs but compared to bg2? Get the fukk out if here.

14. The BG2 dream sequences are deeper than BG1 as they push character development for both the PC and Irenicus instead a short blurb and a new ability.

15. The world maps are both great and both methods work fine.

16. There's more to Athkatka than Baldurs Gate. Want evidence? The inns/taverns are proof. 90% of BG1 taverns not much happens. Bg2 taverns are way cooler. Bg1 had maybe 3-4 cool' inn encounters. Bg2 had lots. The stores are better. The houses you can enter are better done. Hell, the temples are better. Only really two 'worthy' temples in bg1.

17. Companions are just more developed in Bg2. Want evidence? Check out the two dwarven evil fighters. Clearly bg2's is better. If bg1 evil dwarf fighter had more attention spent on it, that could have been sweet.

18. Bg1 is a good fun game but bg2 is basically bg1 x100.

P.s.s Anyone who praises ES or even Gothic at a high level are fookin retarts.

Bottom line is bg series is better than 99% of rpgs. And, bg2 is the best of the series.

GAME OVER.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom