Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 announced at Google Stadia Connect event

Xeon

Augur
First thing I thought of when I saw the trailer was Beamdog's Illithid Paladin character, would have thought WotC liked the idea so much and suggested it to Larian but than they probably would have hired Gaider or something because I think he wrote it or something but since they didn't I guess that's not the case.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Anybody have information on the team

Half of the team never heard of "Baldurs Gate" , confirmed by Swen

... and what they did prior ?

They said they've been writing BG 3 for several (!) years now. Which means it coincided with the development of DOS. Which means it coincided with the writing of DOS. Oh shit...

Ulrox

Arbiter
Why are both WotC and Larian painfully avoiding talking about the combat system? True to D&D lore is an obvious avoidance of (what should be) TRUE TO D&D RULES.
Very strange...

They have said some things. Like the fact that they copied and pasted the 5th edition combat system into the game, but found it lacking, and have added 'things' to it.
It's not strange at all when you think about it. The reason is probably because they're still tweaking how it is going to be. It would not make sense to show everyone the combat system, and then when the game releases, the combat system is anything but that.

There's also the whole thing about misses not being a part of the combat system, which has triggered many here.

Xeon

Augur
Did they mention if it will be TB or RTwP? someone I think mentioned it could be an action RPG like Skyrim or Divinity 2's style as well.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Its not known.

Seems most likely but it isnt known.
No further info in the video, just more of the same PR and ... humor and fun.

User0001

Savant
Why are both WotC and Larian painfully avoiding talking about the combat system? True to D&D lore is an obvious avoidance of (what should be) TRUE TO D&D RULES.
Very strange...
They have said some things. Like the fact that they copied and pasted the 5th edition combat system into the game, but found it lacking, and have added 'things' to it.
It's not strange at all when you think about it. The reason is probably because they're still tweaking how it is going to be. It would not make sense to show everyone the combat system, and then when the game releases, the combat system is anything but that.

There's also the whole thing about misses not being a part of the combat system, which has triggered many here.

I know what they have said. I still think it's strange that they tiptoe around this instead of just explaining what they mean. My suspicion is what most are fearing, that they are making some heavy butchering of the rules.

Why they want to avoid this topic might be that they expect possible outrage and don't want to dilude the announcement hype with it.

Ulrox

Arbiter
I know what they have said. I still think it's strange that they tiptoe around this instead of just explaining what they mean. My suspicion is what most are fearing, that they are making some heavy butchering of the rules.

Why they want to avoid this topic might be that they expect possible outrage and don't want to dilude the announcement hype with it.

You 'have' to change the rules around a bit, because it is a game, and the tabletop version of the thing wouldn't be quite as fun as changing things around a bit...
This was done in the original baldur's gate games aswell... Imagine casting Improved Alacrity and removing the 6 second wait time between spells in the tabletop version of dungeons and dragons... That 6 second wait time between spells, is the simulation of the rounds in dungeons and dragons. Improved Alacrity would not work at all in a none computer game, and bg2 had it. There are many examples of this.

User0001

Savant
You 'have' to change the rules around a bit, because it is a game, and the tabletop version of the thing wouldn't be quite as fun as changing things around a bit...
This was done in the original baldur's gate games aswell... Imagine casting Improved Alacrity and removing the 6 second wait time between spells in the tabletop version of dungeons and dragons... That 6 second wait time between spells, is the simulation of the rounds in dungeons and dragons. Improved Alacrity would not work at all in a none computer game, and bg2 had it. There are many examples of this.

But this is obvious and has nothing to do with the game being TB, RTwP or something entirely different (and/or how the chosen system is being reworked). This is the real question, and why is the most important feature not being told?

Bohr

Arcane
In all honesty I'd probably feel a bit optimistic if we hadn't been through the same song and dance with Sword Coast Legends. Sure, this is much bigger and shinier and has Larian instead of some DAO vets in a shovelware studio, but the 'the old games were great but it's current year now', 'the rules don't work in a CRPG so we're inspired by them but doing our own thing', WOTC chiming in with 'reach a big new audience who don't care about the D&D system but want cool stories'... it's just painfully familiar. With SCL they dragged out the reveal of the combat system as long as possible, refusing to clarify exactly how far they were deviating from D&D until the beta came out.

Perhaps this will be different. Perhaps it will be the new classic D&D game we've been wanting for so long. Perhaps the standard Codexian cynicism is unjustified. But I know what I'm betting on.

Xunwael

Educated
So... the Baldur's Gate series is about the bhaalspawn saga, right? So why does it start with an illithid being born? What's that got to do with anything?

Surely, the focus of the intro should've been CHARNAME getting his ass thrown out of whatever realm he usually hangs out in, or something like that?

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
This on GOG.
L5CQxOr.png

Xeon

Augur
Man, if its really real time than I hope at least its 3D and not Diablo and Divine Divinity esque.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm guessing it will be a third person action RPG in real time made in either Unreal 4 or Unity.

I'm also assuming a maximum of two companions per mission Mass Effect style.

(and sexy time behind the barn after accidentally choosing all the romance options with your male companion)

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom