Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 announced at Google Stadia Connect event

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
That shift to modern D&D rules is the biggest clue we get as to how the game will play. It means saying goodbye to the Infinity Engine, for starters. “Those were great games for their time, but next year is 2020 and you can’t do the same things you did back then. No one would want to play it. Well, people would want to play it, but it wouldn’t meet the expectations of a modern video game” says Vincke.

So this is the dolt that's idolized by some people here? Big yikes.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Not isometric is already a huge red flag.
It can still easily be just that.

I give it about a 1% chance of being isometric after this quote:

Set 100 years after the events of the original games, Baldur's Gate 3 will utilize Dungeons and Dragon's 5th Edition Rules. But that doesn't mean that Baldur's Gate 3 will be an isometric RPG like BioWare's old Infinity Engine games. Rather, it will have its own identity, Larian founder Swen Vincke tells USG. "We're going to have some things that you haven't seen yet in CRPGs, which I would love to talk about, but I'm going to hold it," Vincke says.*

Was BG3 even needed?
The story is over. Go home already!
I'll speak just for myself here and I'll say that I genuinely don't give half of a dehydrated shit about "the story".
I'm looking for a game with the same core mechanics (or improvements over them, if possible) and the same sense of scale and ambition.

The narrative was never what made me remember BG and (especially) BG2 fondly.
If anything I think most old players tend to vastly overstate its quality.

Codex Year of the Donut
Not isometric is already a huge red flag.
It can still easily be just that.

I give it about a 1% chance of being isometric after this quote:

Set 100 years after the events of the original games, Baldur's Gate 3 will utilize Dungeons and Dragon's 5th Edition Rules. But that doesn't mean that Baldur's Gate 3 will be an isometric RPG like BioWare's old Infinity Engine games. Rather, it will have its own identity, Larian founder Swen Vincke tells USG. "We're going to have some things that you haven't seen yet in CRPGs, which I would love to talk about, but I'm going to hold it," Vincke says.*
Chances are it will be similar to DOS2, which has a configurable camera that defaults to a sort-of "bird's eye view" perspective.

Morkar Left

Since it's based on a D&D 5E you can expect SJW content in super high proportions:

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/09/09/im-too-old-to-start-playing-dd-again/
I’m too old to start playing D&D again…
But wow, the changes in the latest edition are stunning. This is the description for the standard “Human” player:

via Liselle Angelique Krog Awwal

Looks like Wizards of the Coast have been completely overrun by SJWs. We’re going to have to start calling them Wizards+.

2mNrSTA.jpg
So don't get your hopes up just yet.

The artwork looks good, the retard praising it can only be a troll. Seriously, nobody can be that "problematic".

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
"big party" might be a bit of a clue (maybe), I'm guessing 5+ members, and what better way to show them all? I'm optimistic about that.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Okay. You have your plot device. The Illithid. Mind Flayers. The very utterance of whom oozes mystery across the Forgotten Realms. Often feared, but seldom encountered, nightmare of every adventurer, mysterious and horrible, and secluded beings, slithering deep beneath the surface...

What's the first thing you do?

Slap it over the company logo, of course!

YW8Nt2z.jpg

That's really tasteless. Even for you, Swen. What's next? Everyone in the office gets Illithid-themed coffee mugs? Didn't they teach you about... *drumroll* exposition in school?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
So the first thing that popped out to me is that folks over at Larian really don't manage intellectual property well.

They should have done something more covert and tricky in the teaser. Because it *is* a teaser, not a trailer. Such as displaying the warrior's transformation to Illithid as a shadow on the nearby wall, for example. Such as implying, not showing. But no, let's show everybody a sky full of levitating (?) Illithid with Dagon (primary antagonist) in the background.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Why would anyone create a non-isometric sequel to a well-known isometric game? Especially when the studio is known for its isometric games?

If it's not isometric, I'm not interested at all.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'll speak just for myself here and I'll say that I genuinely don't give half of a dehydrated shit about "the story".
I'm looking for a game with the same core mechanics (or improvements over them, if possible) and the same sense of scale and ambition.

The narrative was never what made me remember BG and (especially) BG2 fondly.
If anything I think most old players tend to vastly overstate its quality.

Easy solution there. Just go and play PoE and Deadfire.
And both Icewind dales.

The story and main plot are what made BG games stand out. Not because they were perfect and awesome and glorious, which literally nobody ever said. But because they were good.
"Just" good. Which is an unattainable level these days. And they had great villains to fuel it and keep you motivated and interested till the end.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
D:OS 1 and 2 sold like shit?

PS: As others said, tell your little brother to get off your account.

Tigranes

Arcane
Mindflayer invasion is also pretty DARK and SERIOUS, which given Larian's cringy awful writing ability at anything other than high fantasy trope jokes, doesn't bode well. It's a setup for a lot less transmogrified pumpkins or talking dogs, and a lot more of their idiotic fake gandalfs and such.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
"isometric" which isnt a correct term anyway does not have to be 2D with locked camera. Both DoS games had "isometric" poV and sold very well.

additionally, in a party based game its pretty fucking difficult to use any other poV.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The fact that they haven't announced that it will be a party-based turn-based D&D game strongly suggests that it will be a single character action-rpg that's only loosely connected to D&D. :decline:
And if that is true, the fact that WotC isn't taking advantage of the best opportunity in a decade to make a true D&D CRPG suggest that they never ever will :despair:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jon Irenicus > angry Squidward with tentacles. Seriously, what a stupid looking creature. Squid head with a human body...please. BGII will remain king in this series.

Uh... there are plenty of those 'squid heads with a human body' in BGII. They even have their own area and quest associated with it.

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So naturally, the first thing that popped out to me is that folks over at Larian really don't manage intellectual property well.

For example, they could have done something more covert and tricky in the teaser. Because it *is* a teaser, not a trailer. Such as displaying the warrior's transformation as a shadow on the nearby wall, for example. Such as implying, not showing. A mystery is mysterious only while it's kept alive. But no, let's show everybody a sky full of Illithid with Dagon (primary antagonist) in the background.

giphy.gif

Really scraping the barrel for bullshit reasons to be upset here. You must really, REALLY want to be mad about this to look so hard for a reason.

Jon Irenicus > angry Squidward with tentacles. Seriously, what a stupid looking creature. Squid head with a human body...please. BGII will remain king in this series.

Uh... there are plenty of those 'squid heads with a human body' in BGII. Thay even have their own area and quest associated with it.
Well, you should have actually played the game to know that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom