Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 announced at Google Stadia Connect event

Tao

Savant
GOTY

i hope :negative:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Its going to be party based, thats confirmed. Just not TB and "isometric"... whatever the fuck that means.

The game story will continue the descent into Avernus and may be tied to events there in some way, but not directly. Sven said those who play PnP campaign will recognize some things at the start of the game...
Bhaal is going to be around but we wont be playing bhaalspawn whose story is completely over (Svens words too) or be connected to him directly - most likely.

So hmm... Ilithids are fairly high level enemies that require specific high level protections to even try to deal with. So i doubt we will be taking any down through the start of the game.

Do illithids have any God?
If not, i would think Gods of Faerun would be pretty pissed of about the intrusion... unless its a plot by one of them. Which could be tied to be descent into Avernus campaign.

Codex Year of the Donut
Its going to be party based, thats confirmed. Just not TB and "isometric"... whatever the fuck that means.

The game story will continue the descent into Avernus and may be tied to events there in some way, but not directly. Sven said those who play PnP campaign will recognize some things at the start of the game...
Bhaal is going to be around but we wont be playing bhaalspawn whose story is completely over (Svens words too) or be connected to him directly - most likely.

So hmm... Ilithids are fairly high level enemies that require specific high level protections to even try to deal with. So i doubt we will be taking any down through the start of the game.

If not, i would think Gods of Faerun would be pretty pissed of about the intrusion... unless its a plot by one of them. Which could be tied to be descent into Avernus campaign.
Mindflayers are CR 7 in 5E, not that high level.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
So the first thing that popped out to me is that folks over at Larian really don't manage intellectual property well.

They should have done something more covert and tricky in the teaser. Because it *is* a teaser, not a trailer (i.e. to tease). Such as displaying the warrior's transformation to Illithid as a shadow on the nearby wall, for example. Such as implying, not showing. A mystery is mysterious only while it's kept alive. But no, let's show everybody a sky full of Illithid with Dagon (primary antagonist) in the background.

giphy.gif

Really scraping the barrel for bullshit reasons to be upset here. You must really, REALLY want to be mad about this to look so hard for a reason.

Being irritated by bad taste is not the same as being upset. To be upset you need to care and I stopped caring in 2006 when Oblivion came out. Since then, the number of releases I enjoyed or cared about can fit on the fingers of one - or possibly two hands.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So the first thing that popped out to me is that folks over at Larian really don't manage intellectual property well.

They should have done something more covert and tricky in the teaser. Because it *is* a teaser, not a trailer. Such as displaying the warrior's transformation as a shadow on the nearby wall, for example. Such as implying, not showing. A mystery is mysterious only while it's kept alive. But no, let's show everybody a sky full of Illithid with Dagon (primary antagonist) in the background.

giphy.gif

Really scraping the barrel for bullshit reasons to be upset here. You must really, REALLY want to be mad about this to look so hard for a reason.

Being irritated by bad taste is not the same as being upset. To be upset you need to care and I stopped caring in 2006 when Oblivion came out. Since then, the number of releases I enjoyed or cared about can fit on the fingers of one - or possibly two hands.
Ilithid hands or human?

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't think it will be a conventional assault.
My guess is that it will be one of the periods that illithids went back in time to -- this is supported by there being a spelljammer fleet as part of the invasion.
To explain to those unfamiliar, Illithids are likely from the future and they sent fleets back in time through various periods. The supporting evidence for this is that Aboleths have no knowledge of the origins of Illithids at all(Aboleths 'inherit' all the knowledge of their ancestors when born -- you interact with one in BG2 in the drow city), which would imply they either always existed(unlikely), existed before aboleths(again, unlikely -- aboleths were one of the earliest species), or time traveled.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Since it's based on a D&D 5E you can expect SJW content in super high proportions:

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/09/09/im-too-old-to-start-playing-dd-again/
I’m too old to start playing D&D again…
But wow, the changes in the latest edition are stunning. This is the description for the standard “Human” player:

via Liselle Angelique Krog Awwal

Looks like Wizards of the Coast have been completely overrun by SJWs. We’re going to have to start calling them Wizards+.

So don't get your hopes up just yet.

The artwork looks good, the retard praising it can only be a troll. Seriously, nobody can be that "problematic".

From that article "Orcs and half-orcs have thinly veiled traits that read as an analogue to blackness" - am I wrong in thinking you have to be a racist yourself to even come to that conclusion in the first place?

Never has it crossed my mind that half-orcs and orcs are analogues to black people, specially because black humans exist in the setting.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The story itself will not be a direct continuation of events from the original game. “The story of the previous Baldur’s Gate was closed – it was actually closed, in a certain sense, in a tapletop campaign called Murder At Baldur’s Gate [where the murder of the original protagnoist triggers the action – ed], so that’s where it really came to its closure,” says Vincke.

What he can tell me is that “we are in the city of Baldur’s Gate, we’re in Forgotten Realms and stuff has happened in the world since [D&D’s] 3.5 edition. This game directly follows a new campaign called Baldur’s Gate: Descent Into Avernus, we worked very closely with them on that, and so our story continues right after that.” This makes talking about the game even more challenging, as Ascent Into Avernus isn’t out until September and Vincke doesn’t want to spoil how that story unfolds.

:greatjob:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

They should have done something more covert and tricky in the teaser. Because it *is* a teaser, not a trailer (i.e. to tease). Such as displaying the warrior's transformation to Illithid as a shadow on the nearby wall, for example. Such as implying, not showing. A mystery is mysterious only while it's kept alive. But no, let's show everybody a sky full of Illithid with Dagon (primary antagonist) in the background.

giphy.gif

Congratulations on being bitter and jaded, and not enjoying things. I can't sympathize and I am not jealous. Get well soon!

The artwork looks good, the retard praising it can only be a troll. Seriously, nobody can be that "problematic".

From that article "Orcs and half-orcs have thinly veiled traits that read as an analogue to blackness" - am I wrong in thinking you have to be a racist yourself to even come to that conclusion in the first place?

Never has it crossed my mind that half-orcs and orcs are analogues to black people, specially because black humans exist in the setting.
Not too surprising. People like this writer are mentally ill.

Shin

Cipher

According to On Hallowed Ground (a Planescape AD&D book), there's Ilsensine aka the 'Great Brain'. Colin McComb writes:

"A being of pure energy, Ilsensine is the patron and creator of the illithid race (and, some say, the secret master of the cranium rats as well). Depicted as a huge, green-glowing brain, the power's tentacles extend across the multiverse, feeding information directly to the bloated mass of the god-brain."

According to some D&D wiki page: "Illithids did not exactly worship Ilsensine, but rather revered its mental capacity. Some elder brains viewed Ilsensine as the culmination of what they aspired to be and often envied it. It also represented unity between the illithids and universal knowledge. Some of its followers sought to attain this sort of union by dominating or even replacing existing deities of knowledge."

So, eh, maybe I guess...? I really like the Illithids but I'm not sure if their center stage is a good fit for a.. Baldur's Gate game. Wonder why they didn't just make "The Underdark: a Belgian D&D adventure" or something similar.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Also, by far my favorite part in BG2 is when you go to Beholder Town. That defines the game as much as space hamsters. As I've posted about previously, beholders are so amazingly dumb, like the fact of a beholder running a thieves' guild, it's just beautiful. There's not much like that left in gaming space. Many beholders probably have names that are simply team members' last names reversed. All beholders should have such names. So when you get to Beholder Town, and there's like a whole beholder community, probably some beholders are just proletarians who have to clean toilets, and there are some beholder hausfaus, and probably there are beholders who look at themselves in the mirror and shed a single tear out of each eye because "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" has a cruel irony when even other beholders think you're too round, etc., etc. Best area in BG. And as I recall, the Shelbyville to the beholders' Springfield was an Illithid town where there were likely Illithid shopkeepers and Illithid psychoanalysts (even mindflayers need therapy, etc.). That's Baldur's Gate to me. (Also wasn't there a crashed Spelljammer spaceship in the same area, which is maybe where Boo came from? Maybe Sn'erf can appear in BG3 that way...) Anyway, I really hope the Illithids in the trailer come from Shelbyville, and after the local dry goods merchant gets transformed into an Illithid, he just goes on with his job, selling alchemy ingredients for more than he buys them, while making weird squid noises with his mouth.

Gavin is the only person who will deliver me that game.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Also, by far my favorite part in BG2 is when you go to Beholder Town. That defines the game as much as space hamsters. As I've posted about previously, beholders are so amazingly dumb, like the fact of a beholder running a thieves' guild, it's just beautiful. There's not much like that left in gaming space. Many beholders probably have names that are simply team members' last names reversed. All beholders should have such names. So when you get to Beholder Town, and there's like a whole beholder community, probably some beholders are just proletarians who have to clean toilets, and there are some beholder hausfaus, and probably there are beholders who look at themselves in the mirror and shed a single tear out of each eye because "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" has a cruel irony when even other beholders think you're too round, etc., etc. Best area in BG. And as I recall, the Shelbyville to the beholders' Springfield was an Illithid town where there were likely Illithid shopkeepers and Illithid psychoanalysts (even mindflayers need therapy, etc.). That's Baldur's Gate to me. (Also wasn't there a crashed Spelljammer spaceship in the same area, which is maybe where Boo came from? Maybe Sn'erf can appear in BG3 that way...) Anyway, I really hope the Illithids in the trailer come from Shelbyville, and after the local dry goods merchant gets transformed into an Illithid, he just goes on with his job, selling alchemy ingredients for more than he buys them, while making weird squid noises with his mouth.

Bro, I replayed BG 2 for the 6th time 3 years ago and I have no clue what you're talking about.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I really like the Illithids but I'm not sure if their center stage is a good fit for a.. Baldur's Gate game. Wonder why they didn't just make "The Underdark: a Belgian D&D adventure" or something similar.

They're following the latest 5E module being produced by Blizzard. I have no problem with the trailer; the articles, however, weren't assuring at all.

Codex Year of the Donut

I'm not sure what I just read but I kind of want more of it

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean, the jaded laconic office beholder from BG2/TOB. Maybe that's the benchmark for Larian. Maybe the illithid are socially insecure and they are constnatly using their mind powers to try and get a date, like some weird version of US FBI desk analysts passing round hot pix from surveillance workstations.

A Might & Magification of BG via Larian is the Fabulously Optimistic scenario

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
"We started clean. I didn't look at Black Hound. We just started with what we knew with Baldur's Gate, and went with what we thought was a very cool and surprising idea. We had the core of the idea from one of the books and asked if we could do it and they said yeah," Vincke says.

As for whether Larian has had any input from the original games, Vincke hints that he has had conversations with folks from BioWare, but won't say with whom. None of the original developers are on the actual team.

:greatjob:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Bro, I replayed BG 2 for the 6th time 3 years ago and I have no clue what you're talking about.

Underdark. Quest to retrieve the eyestalk of an Elder Beholder for a dark matron's unholy ritual.

Genuinely don't remember that (well, maybe very vaguely). I might have skipped this, but unlikely. I remember the Beholder lair in the Temple District far more vividly (and the secret Ilithid lair there and the one in the Underdark where you're captured).

Ulrox

Arbiter
Could anyone confirm that this mine worker exists? .

You're talking about a guard in chapter 4 in the cloakwood mines. He talks about lacking a little starch in his 'maypole' :"If you know what I mean" ... is basically the wording he uses. You can then tell him that it's because he's breathing fumes from the mines, and a bunch of other things. level 1 mines, cloakwood, second guard you encounter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom