Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Anti-Woke Mods

The Jester

Cipher
I also think it's another case of JRPG influence on MCA
Clyde Caldwell and other DnD artists were also inspired by JRPG. True story.
I was talking about Planescape: Torment specifically. Chris himself said that JRPGs like FFVI and Chrono Trigger had a significant influence on the development of the game.

Froila

Educated
I also think it's another case of JRPG influence on MCA
Clyde Caldwell and other DnD artists were also inspired by JRPG. True story.
I was talking about Planescape: Torment specifically. Chris himself said that JRPGs like FFVI and Chrono Trigger had a significant influence on the development of the game.

I like how Ultima and Wizardry motivated Japanese to make their own rpgs, then jrpg influenced western designers to make games with with more developed plot and fleshed characters.
Later huge scene of erotic mods made developers to sexualize their games to appeal the public. And now we have some dignity mods that make games more modest.

It's a flow of history.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Does the sight of "noble" women dressing like prostitutes make you want to stone them to death?
Well, I've got the mod for you:
Mod for Planescape: Torment when?
ESFsP6h.jpeg
12JabYf.jpeg
gxQi4e1.jpeg

Unlike BG3 Sigil's noblewomen dressing like whores isn't for rebelling against conservative stereotypes; it's a political commentary. They show off their bodies in a desperate attempt to stay relevant, exposing decay and hypocrisy of their class. Ironically, Fall-from-Grace, a fucking succubus, dresses more modestly than these so-called nobles. This clothing blurs class boundaries, revealing Sigil's corrupt core. The nobility's vulgar display is for showing how power has rotted Sigil from within, making the elite no better or even worse than common harlot.

What is the meaning of massive tits held tight by a leather corset?
A means to hardening of my dick.

I definitely share this view, but don't you think that the characters' clothes in this game generally had this function?
I share the same opinion and I also think it's another case of JRPG influence on MCA.
However, I believe that choosing the female noble among all NPCs to have the most revealing dress (if you can call it even that) isn't a coincidence.

If you put it this way, there is actually something to it.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Serious question: Are there mods that make games "more woke?" My gut tells me that shit doesn't exist outside of weird loverslab degeneracy.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Does the sight of "noble" women dressing like prostitutes make you want to stone them to death?
Well, I've got the mod for you:
Mod for Planescape: Torment when?
ESFsP6h.jpeg
12JabYf.jpeg
gxQi4e1.jpeg

Unlike BG3 Sigil's noblewomen dressing like whores isn't for rebelling against conservative stereotypes; it's a political commentary. They show off their bodies in a desperate attempt to stay relevant, exposing decay and hypocrisy of their class. Ironically, Fall-from-Grace, a fucking succubus, dresses more modestly than these so-called nobles. This clothing blurs class boundaries, revealing Sigil's corrupt core. The nobility's vulgar display is for showing how power has rotted Sigil from within, making the elite no better or even worse than common harlot.

What is the meaning of massive tits held tight by a leather corset?
A means to hardening of my dick.

I definitely share this view, but don't you think that the characters' clothes in this game generally had this function?

203885-annah__2_.jpg

Or maybe just female characters in general?

410389-annah_patty_backdrop_1024x768.jpg
There needs to be a "remember what they took from us" button.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I like how Ultima and Wizardry motivated Japanese to make their own rpgs, then jrpg influenced western designers to make games with with more developed plot and fleshed characters.
Look at Westerns as a genre. Many of those were influenced by Japanese movies such as Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samuri in the 1950s influencing Magnificent 7 in the 1960s, which in turn influenced Japanese works in the 1970s on. Most Spaghetti Westerns made by mostly Italian directors have their roots in post World War II Japanese movies set in their feudal era, and you can still see the influence of the style of Spaghetti Westerns in Japanese works today.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Serious question: Are there mods that make games "more woke?" My gut tells me that shit doesn't exist outside of weird loverslab degeneracy.
There are mods that remove gender restrictions on romances in games where they exist and expand options for non-white character creation, which I think is roughly analogous to adding gender restrictions and reducing non-white characters through the anti-woke mods. This was the first article talking about one of those mods that I could find googling, but like someone said if you go on Nexus and search there seem to be a few for different games (I found 'Feminist Nerevarine' and 'Queering Skyrim' pretty quickly). It makes sense to me that they'd exist, presumably some non-white people prefer games that have people like them in the same way that some white people prefer to have characters like them (and the same with sexual orientation).

roguefrog

Liturgist

The JRPG influence on Planescape: Torment has jackshit to do with characters or plot. It's just the spells that play a cutscene. Heavenly Host is a Knights of the Round ripoff albeit much shorter.

It's in the same camp as Goldeneye 64 of all things influencing Thief: The Dark Project's extra objectives when you increase the difficulty.

Froila

Educated
The JRPG influence on Planescape: Torment has jackshit to do with characters or plot.
I'm not sure there were many western rpg with preset party members at that time (anything besides decaying 'Ultima', 'Betrayal at Krondor' and 'Albion'?), but it was a common and selling feature of jrpgs. And jrpgs were huge in 1990s.

Froila

Educated
Look at Westerns as a genre. Many of those were influenced by Japanese movies such as Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samuri in the 1950s influencing Magnificent 7 in the 1960s, which in turn influenced Japanese works in the 1970s on. Most Spaghetti Westerns made by mostly Italian directors have their roots in post World War II Japanese movies set in their feudal era, and you can still see the influence of the style of Spaghetti Westerns in Japanese works today.
AFAIK, Kurosawa's and Leone's films could never have appeared without Westerns of the 1st half of XXth century. They just revitalized the genre.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

The JRPG influence on Planescape: Torment has jackshit to do with characters or plot. It's just the spells that play a cutscene. Heavenly Host is a Knights of the Round ripoff albeit much shorter.

It's in the same camp as Goldeneye 64 of all things influencing Thief: The Dark Project's extra objectives when you increase the difficulty.
The zany companions of Planescape: Torment were clearly influenced by '90s fantasy JRPGs, which similarly often had bizarre sets of pregenerated party members. Fortunately, that fits much better in the Planescape campaign setting than in any of the other D&D/AD&D campaign settings, so little harm was done.

roguefrog

Liturgist
The zany companions of Planescape: Torment were clearly influenced by '90s fantasy JRPGs

Totally unclear. And just sounds like coincidence. The '90s was the only time I actually played JRPGs, so this makes me a subject matter expert.

Planescape: Torment companions were just part of the teams push to make unconventional atypical characters. This extends throughout the game to everything from weapons (no swords!), to the types of races you encountered (no elves or dwarves). JRPGs didn't invent preset characters either. In Ultima you play as the Avatar. In BG you are always a Bhaalspawn, etc. Preset characters have been a thing for a while.

And let's get real, what JRPG has this amount of conversation/dialog with companions, items, the environment? There are none. Those games are VERY simple linear narratives of melodrama. Like a vapid adventure game with abstract combat against whimsical enemies.

The only smoking gun here is the spells that play a cutscene. Direct influence confirmed.

Last edited:

Krivol

Magister
I just want to give a huge 'Thank you!' and a hug to The Jester - I started my very first playthrough with these mods and was usually quite surprised why people are so butthurt about BG 3.

Turned out mods changed A LOT!

I was shocked when it turned out NightSong was originally female :O !

The only way to play for me...

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Before: "That's my cock - I don't think we have time for that now. Or maybe we do? I should be able to maintain my concentration".
After: "Take the enchanted short sword and backstab the vampire as soon as the opportunity arises".

Gamer29345

Barely Literate
Even with all these mods i wasnt able to play this game for more than two hours before I had to uninstall.

Every female is an aloof, arrogant bossbitch leader that needs no man and all the men you meet are weak, feminine and gay. The female character models all look like your typical man hating feminists.

Canˋt play a game where everyone is completely unlikeable. Final nail in the coffin was when I walked around and triggered a cutscene where two Orcs were buttfucking each other. No thanks.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Even with all these mods i wasnt able to play this game for more than two hours before I had to uninstall.

Every female is an aloof, arrogant bossbitch leader that needs no man and all the men you meet are weak, feminine and gay. The female character models all look like your typical man hating feminists.

Canˋt play a game where everyone is completely unlikeable. Final nail in the coffin was when I walked around and triggered a cutscene where two Orcs were buttfucking each other. No thanks.
Welcome to the team, glad to have you aboard buddy.

Krivol

Magister

Welcome to the team, glad to have you aboard buddy.
Gay! Sweet Baby Inc. would be proud of you!

Also, welcome Gamer29345 :)

Ryzer

Arcane

I call this story: Brussels

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom