Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"NOOOOO you can't have DBZ animations in Muh Baldur's Gate GAME!!!"

If a mere tier 3 spell is "DBZ like", imagine when someone casts meteor swarm. Jokes aside, nice animation. Fast and impactful what will be sad is to see goblins and spiders soaking multiple fireballs

Seems more like a laser beam to me to be honest, but I can't help but notice the animation looks fairly fast.
Are all the other spell animations this short? I remember seeing a lot of complaints about something as plain as cantrips having long wind-up animations, which makes me wonder if this spell's animation was made shorter on purpose or if all spells take about as long as this to be cast.
It's mostly bullshit. Most animations are quick and snappy. Even with the pseudo-latin chanting during the spell they go in a second.
The people complaining are mostly
1) the raging autistics that feel like ANY eye candy is superfluos and complaining that we can't have static portraits rather than animations "to save time" (not like it was a contest for best speedrun to begin with).
2) People just fishing for any excuse to complaint.

What is true, on the other hand, is that there are at least a couple of cases where there is some unnecessary hyperbolic wind-up for something that should be mundane and instantaneous (i.e. "dash").

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mage casting a fireball and it hitting its destination takes less time than barbarian entering rage :D
I see mages empty their load pretty quick.

Mages understand that being first to the finish guarantees a greater chance of success and furthermore that once you have yours, you've already succeeded, everything else is immaterial.

276-1636512249-759954659.gif

Fireball animations datamined
Isn't Fireball supposed to be a ball? Are you sure this isn't supposed to be Scorching Ray?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You're retarded Rusty. The animation for "Fireball" has nothing to do with a Fireball. It looks like it's a ripped off laser beam animation that ends with an exploding mine animation from some fps games. There's not a single BALL in sight.
Isn't Fireball supposed to be a ball? Are you sure this isn't supposed to be Scorching Ray?
Fireball is a ball when it explodes, you don't physically throw a giant ball:

A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a point you choose within range and then blossoms with a low roar into an explosion of flame. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a Dexterity saving throw. A target takes 8d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Looks pretty faithful to me.

In 3.x you had to throw a tiny ball that then exploded, but previous editions had nothing like that.

FriendlyMerchant

You're retarded Rusty. The animation for "Fireball" has nothing to do with a Fireball. It looks like it's a ripped off laser beam animation that ends with an exploding mine animation from some fps games. There's not a single BALL in sight.

I'm going to have to disagree with that.

5wsQIii.jpg

Also, there's no ball after it explodes either.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Next 10 pages: fireball analysis.

About fireball, only I believe that it is a overrated spell? In BG2, I always memorize or lightning bolt or skull trap. A lot of enemies are fire resistant or immune, it can deal team damage and it has a lot of other problems. Lightning bolt in other hands, I can hit enemies in a line. Skull trap can be used as a trap or as a damaging spell and the radius is smaller hence less chance of team damage.

Any chance that Larian will bring skull trap from BG2 to BG3? And before anything, I know that skull trap in BG2 is different than P&P.

FriendlyMerchant

I'm all for bashing Larian, but doing so because they're too faithful to the source material is kinda dumb.

ball.png

Looks pretty ball-y to me.
That's a shockwave. It's just been visually highlighted to compensate for the lack of such a sensation. It's not a fireball. However pic related is what a fireball explosion should look like.

china-explosion-fireball-video-1319421.jpg

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think we can safely trust Larian to have meticulously analyzed fireball explosions and impacts. Much more fun than actually designing a good game.

I'll let myself out.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I have to agree that this is a bit lacking in the fire and ball department. It's an ok effect, but it's really just an explosion.

Looks pretty faithful to me.

In 3.x you had to throw a tiny ball that then exploded, but previous editions had nothing like that.
Even if that's the case, then it's still wrong. This is what a streak looks like:

or

Right now it looks like a sci-fi particle beam.

Harthwain

Magister
I'm all for bashing Larian, but doing so because they're too faithful to the source material is kinda dumb.
The animation is pretty fast to be fair. That said, I wouldn't mistake it for a Scorching Ray either. There is obviously a big explosion and a bunch of after-spell effects on the ground at the end.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
ITT: people getting mad at Larian because a fireball in D&D 5E is just an:

explosion of flame

and not an actual ball. You know Swen didn't design D&D, right?

Even if that's the case, then it's still wrong. This is what a streak looks like:

[...]

Right now it looks like a sci-fi particle beam.
On that I agree: the animation is dumb. But this doesn't change the fact that wanting it to be a fucking ball because that's your headcanon is just as dumb.

Saravan

Savant

ball.png

Looks pretty ball-y to me.

*Swen breathes*

HEY! That's not how breathing works. If you take a look at Appendix B in page 142 under Footnote 2 in the player's handbook for ad&d 2e you can CLEARLY see that the muscle contraction of the nose intakes oxygen in a consistent manner INTO the lungs and then exhaled due to muscle relaxation. In this picture of Swen breathing he is clearly sucking in oxygen directly through his anus instead.

mediocrepoet

Patron
ITT: people getting mad at Larian because a fireball in D&D 5E is just an:

explosion of flame

and not an actual ball.

It's the most Victor point not made by Victor. "A spell called fireball should have a ball of fire! 5E is the worst! I didn't sign up for a game where wizards can't even throw actual balls of fire, you know, like the spell name says!" cf. disintegrate

mediocrepoet

Patron

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3103546793469782939

Hotfix #20 Now Live!
Version Number: 4.1.1.1473368

6ad6b3561238b36614397db5eb8add59dacefd9c.jpg

Hello everyone,

We’ve got a tasty hotfix for you today, fresh out of the development oven. Hotfix 20 brings Patch 7 to the Apple Mac users. Have fun breaking things as the Barbarian!

Have you ever been so excited to get somewhere that you accidentally injure yourself in the process? Like a toddler and a coffee table, your party members have been so excited to get to where they’re going, they’ve been forgetting about the little things - such as fall damage. We’ve given them a stern talking to, bandaged up their knees and sent them on their way - now, if there’s a safer way to descend, they will. Let’s all make better choices!

Our deepest gratitude goes out to everyone who took the time to report these issues to us via our support team, our social channels, and our forums. We love your feedback, and welcome it with open arms. Thank you for playing Baldur’s Gate 3!
CRASHES
  • Closing containers no longer crashes the game. They were simply too powerful.
  • Sorcerer's robe physics have been disabled in Character Creation and the game no longer crashes when you select the Sorcerer class on a low spec PC.
  • The game no longer crashes if you are navigating between the Character Features tab and the Inventory and Equipment tab.
  • The game no longer crashes when you click on the Weapon/Equipment Proficiency filter for Summons.
  • The game no longer crashes if Morgya is dead and the Examine window is left open.
  • NPCs will no longer weasel their way into your Party Panel, causing the game to crash.
  • Corpse looting no longer causes a random crash.

GAMEPLAY
  • As a Barbarian, using Frenzy or Animal Rage now drops your concentration.
  • Luring Song now affects characters within range.
  • Us is no longer able to carry items and use consumables.
  • You no longer jitter during the jump into the chasm to the Underdark.
  • You no longer get stuck in terrain at the crash site.
  • NPCs will now react appropriately if Minor Illusion is cast nearby.
  • Dead characters now remain highlighted if they have been selected.
  • The camera no longer gets stuck zoomed out when you finish combat in the Brain Drain lab room on the nautiloid.
  • Pathfinding has been fixed so that characters no longer jump off a high wall - they will use a ladder to get down instead. There's still so much to live for, Gale. Don’t do it.
  • Items no longer teleport into your hand if you try to throw an object before reaching it.
  • The Barbarian character's 'End Rage' SFX will no longer trigger twice.
  • Both Improvised and Thrown weapons now use the correct preview models.
  • In multiplayer, if one player is in dialogue, all players are now able to vote and exit dialogue as intended.
  • Clicking on the equipment slot no longer triggers the point-and-click reaction.

UI
  • You are now able to drag large amounts of gold between character inventories.
  • Character conditions are now consistently indicated with a purple dot on both the Party Line and the Combat Turn Order UI.
  • Tooltips can no longer be pinned on top of each other in the Character Creation and Level Up screens.
  • While in the Trading UI, hovering over +1 weapons will now display the correct amount of damage.
  • The UI element for Summons, Familiars, and Followers is no longer empty.
  • Fixed the selection hotkey in the Party Panel.
  • Selected characters are now highlighted with a more obvious border in the Party Panel view.
  • Class icons are no longer missing their frame designs in Character Creation.
  • Wild Magic Surge no longer has placeholder icons.
  • In the multiplayer lobby, all player slots are now open by default.
  • Clicking on the greyed out options in the Context Menu no longer does anything.
  • The mind flayer killed in the nautiloid helm cinematic no longer joins the Combat Turn Order UI.
  • The Dexterity ability tooltip now correctly displays the Saving Throw Bonus from the Shield Master feat.
  • The Downed state is now correctly shown by the Party Line outside of turn-based mode.
  • The Advantage tooltip is no longer blank and now shows the correct description.
  • Switching between the keyboard UI and the controller UI will no longer cause information to disappear from the Examine window on Stadia.
  • When using a controller, the text cursor now appears at the end of the string when you try to input text.
  • Pinning a spell in Character Creation or the Level Up screen will no longer cause the pinned tooltip to appear behind the spell selection panel.
  • The HDR Calibration window is no longer skipped if you are running the game on an HDR-capable device.
  • The Main Hand Attack and Ranged Attack buttons now trigger SFX when hovered over or interacted with.

HOTBAR
  • If you have identical spells obtained from different sources, you can now drag both icons onto the Hotbar.
  • Fixed the Passives and Custom buttons in the Hotbar.
  • Switching from the controller UI to the keyboard UI during dialogue no longer brings up the overlapping Hotbar.
  • You can now swap icons across Hotbars.
  • Temporary slots are now removed from all Hotbar decks once they no longer exist.
  • Passives gained from Spells and Weapons are now added to the Passives deck as intended.

mediocrepoet

Patron
On that I agree: the animation is dumb. But this doesn't change the fact that wanting it to be a fucking ball because that's your headcanon is just as dumb.
"LOL that guy totally made up past editions of D&D in his head, amirite guys?"

"LOL BG3 is a prior edition D&D game, amirite guys?"

5e is not D&D.

Then why would you expect a fireball to behave like a D&D fireball? :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom