Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Let's be serious guys, the collector's edition looks amazing

afbeelding.png

Gargaune

Magister
$100 used to be worth a lot more than it is today.

CEs used to be around 100$. The price now is ridiculous.
they used to include game itself too.
https://ce.baldursgate3.game/
Each Collector's Edition contains a digital copy of the game
A digital copy or a code? Is it a disc or a USB with the game, or just a Steam serial key? Not taking aim at Larian here, this is the new standard and physical ownership is rapidly declining across the board in our increasingly dystopian reality, but I can't fathom the appeal of owning a "Collector's Edition" of something that doesn't include possession of said something. It's doubly befuddling in this case since BG3 is available on GOG, so it can't be the DRM angle that Larian are going for.

Reinhardt

Arcane
if there are not enough party members for at least 3 completely different parties i won't even bother with this shit.

FriendlyMerchant

afbeelding.png
Given that I know most of the material is made in china, india, or some other cheap manufacturing country, I would estimate that the collectors edition is 900 shekels too expensive for what you get. Also, you don't need a steamcode when the game is already free.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Oh, FYI, that CE looks shit. Nothing worthy of a game. No disk, no full fledged manual at least the size of BGs.

Bruce, I can get hours of fun paying far less. I have fun games up the wazoo way more cheaply. Lol

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
My BG2 (normal) edition had a 250 page ringbook manual.
That already makes it superrior to this "CE".

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The only thing in the CE that looks interesting is the cloth map. I'm not paying for all that plastic crap and why in the world would I want a random booster for Magic the Gathering?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The only thing in the CE that looks interesting is the cloth map. I'm not paying for all that plastic crap and why in the world would I want a random booster for Magic the Gathering?
Will be worth 1000 dollars in a couple of years.

You can just buy it separately if you care about that. They could include an exclusive card instead, even if it was just a regular card from the set with a slightly different art.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Who cares if there's no disc? I haven't even been able to use them for years after I had to make room for a new ssd.
I wonder how many discs would be needed to fit a standard size AAA game. For some reason, blue-ray doesn't exist on PC at all.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Imagine how silly you would feel if you got the collector's edition and something happened to the internet and you couldn't download the game anymore with the collector's edition sitting in your room

Rhobar121

Scholar
Imagine how silly you would feel if you got the collector's edition and something happened to the internet and you couldn't download the game anymore with the collector's edition sitting in your room
You would buy the standard editions it would be literally the same.
I don't understand what that has to do with anything.
If you don't play on console, it doesn't matter at this point anyway.
When was the last time you saw a new PC game that didn't require a few or several dozen GB day-one patch after installation.

Gargaune

Magister
Who cares if there's no disc? I haven't even been able to use them for years after I had to make room for a new ssd.
I wonder how many discs would be needed to fit a standard size AAA game. For some reason, blue-ray doesn't exist on PC at all.
You can get a 64GB USB stick off Amazon for under a tenner, or fifteen quid for 128GB. Or they could give you a GOG key so you can download an actual copy and store it wherever you like.

You would buy the standard editions it would be literally the same.
I don't understand what that has to do with anything.
The implied idea of a "Collector's" Edition is to appeal to collectors who want to actually possess a rare, definitive volume of a thing. Right now you're getting a bunch of garish plastic toys and a Steam license, so you'd be collecting everything but the fucking game itself.

P.S. As an aside, I never understood why collectors would go for launch CEs instead of waiting for the inevitable GOTY edition, complete with all the patches and expansions. CE as-is should really stand for Consoooooomer Edition.

DemonKing

Arcane
The BG2 CE was actually Ok - a slightly nicer box and then the main attraction was just digital codes for some unique in game item merchant. No ridiculous statues in sight although a few “collector” cards snuck their way in (it also only cost a fraction more than the regular edition):

4371954673_108c73a0fb.jpg

gruntar

Augur

afbeelding.png

Look how crumpled pages of that artbook are. Either they spilled water on it and tried to dry it with a hair dryer or it's printed on extremely low quality paper. Honestly all of it looks more like a bunch of random used garbage on some garage sale than a cohesive collector's edition for a video game.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
The mindflayer's outfit is too formfitting - bespoken. It breaks immersion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom