Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
a indie russian studio.
actually, it's the other way around
pfkm is the one that was created by a developer owned by mail.ru and published by Deep Silver

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Pathfinder has heart and passion and that's not something that can be bought with a big budget. Pay a guy and he can create different solutions to a problem, but pay a guy and he can't just magically grow passion for a project that's run by a soulless passionless company. Owlcat has heart. and Wrath of the righteous mythics will blow out any amount of reactivity that bg3 could possibly have anyways.

Codex Year of the Donut
Pathfinder has heart and passion and that's not something that can be bought with a big budget. Pay a guy and he can create different solutions to a problem, but pay a guy and he can't just magically grow passion for a project that's run by a soulless passionless company. Owlcat has heart. and Wrath of the righteous mythics will blow out any amount of reactivity that bg3 could possibly have anyways.
cope

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
cope
Cope x2

Codex Year of the Donut
cope
Cope x2
notice how wrath of the tranny lovers have to come to the bg3 thread but none of the bg3 fans even care about the tranny game?

Codex Year of the Donut
But lets compare a game by a company with over 300 workers VS a indie russian studio.

a indie russian studio.
pfkm is the one that was created by a developer owned by mail.ru and published by Deep Silver

:nocountryforshitposters:
Larian is an independent studio that Swen owns himself and slowly built up over almost three decades.
Owlcat was created by a billion-dollar entity and pumped with money to shit out a product.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

How exactly is Baldur's Gate 3 not a huge passion project? You can say a lot of things about Larian, but soulless? Passionless? Give me a fucking break.

Codex Year of the Donut
Larian is an independent studio that Swen owns himself and slowly built up over three decades.
Owlcat was created by a billion-dollar entity and pumped with money to shit out a product.
Are you suggesting that Owlcat's PFKM had a larger budget than Larian's BG3?
I'm suggesting that BG3 has a larger budget because of Swen's success, and not because it had a parent company and publisher funneling money to them.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
cope
Cope x2
notice how wrath of the tranny lovers have to come to the bg3 thread but none of the bg3 fans even care about the tranny game?
That's because larian cultists obviously couldn't see a good game if it was right in front of them the whole time

Codex Year of the Donut
cope
Cope x2
That's because larian cultists obviously couldn't see a good game if it was right in front of them the whole time
guess that explains why you're in the bg3 thread then

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

How exactly is Baldur's Gate 3 not a huge passion project? You can say a lot of things about Larian, but soulless? Passionless? Give me a fucking break.
Why isn't swen passionate about his own universe he spent 20 years working on? He jumps ship the second something better came along. Doesn't sound passionate to me. He couldn't do it himself so he went to someone else's work that could. Passionless. Bg3 had no soul

Gargaune

Magister
I'm suggesting that BG3 has a larger budget because of Swen's success, and not because it had a parent company and publisher funneling money to them.
And that has bugger all to do with the point you replied to, because it was a comparison of labour resources and yes - Larian has hundreds of developers worldwide and Owlcat had a couple dozen and vodka on tap.

Which is also kinda beside the point, because ruleset implementation and C&C are separate issues, but I didn't hold a gun to your head and tell you had to reply to his post.

Codex Year of the Donut
And that has bugger all to do with the point you replied to, because it was a comparison of labour resources and yes - Larian has hundreds of developers worldwide and Owlcat had a couple dozen and vodka on tap.

Which is also kinda beside the point, because ruleset implementation and C&C are separate issues, but I didn't hold a gun to your head and tell you had to reply to his post.
Swen worked for the resources he has available.
What did Owlcat do to get the resources they used to create a buggy, unfinished game?

Saravan

Savant
Can I play as a Dhampir Wizard in path to become a Lich on BG3 and cast really nasty spells? In Wrath I can. I still prefer other types of undeath like becoming a shade or a vampire, but liches are cool too.

It never ends.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Swen worked for the resources he has available.
What did Owlcat do to get the resources they used to create a buggy, unfinished game?
Went to investors and kick starter. Pitched an idea. Pretty normal for videos game making

Codex Year of the Donut
Went to investors and kick starter
No, they didn't.
Kickstarter was never used to create PFKM, it was used for adding content to it.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/description
Pathfinder: Kingmaker has an existing schedule, an existing scope, and an existing budget, and that budget will allow us to achieve that scope on schedule. We already have a full team of people working on it, and we're committed to doing it regardless of what happens with this Kickstarter. So why are we asking for your help? The answer is YOU—we need YOU to decide how big Pathfinder: Kingmaker is going to be. Success in this Kickstarter will allow us to increase the budget and the scope, delivering a bigger and deeper game on the same schedule.

Arguing that they're some "small indie" is hilarious when they were created by a major corporation and had a major publisher.

Gargaune

Magister
might want to go look at what started the entire discussion then
take your adhd meds
It started with you not knowing what "the other way around" means.
But lets compare a game by a company with over 300 workers VS a indie russian studio.

a indie russian studio.

Codex Year of the Donut
might want to go look at what started the entire discussion then
take your adhd meds
It started with you not knowing what "the other way around" means.

a indie russian studio.

I agree, larian isn't russian, my apologies

Saravan

Savant
Damn.

Need to take a page from Sawyer and have some balance™ to your thoughts. BG3 seems to put a lot of effort into mechanics that reinforces the immersive storytelling, everything from CC to hand-crafting every sequence of camp interactions to match with the environment. As to the complexity of the build mechanics and combat it seems more streamlined than Kingmaker for sure (and most likely due to the different rulesets), these are areas I would definitely ascribe Kingmaker as its biggest strengths. Saying Kingmaker is a strong contender in C&C in general is just straight up glorifying a game however, then again I recall Gargaune said the story was more than serviceable.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Damn.

Need to take a page from Sawyer and have some balance™ to your thoughts. BG3 seems to put a lot of effort into mechanics that reinforces the immersive storytelling, everything from CC to hand-crafting every sequence of camp interactions to match with the environment. As to the complexity of the build mechanics and combat it seems more streamlined than Kingmaker for sure (and most likely due to the different rulesets), these are areas I would definitely ascribe Kingmaker as its biggest strengths. Saying Kingmaker is a strong contender in C&C in general is just straight up glorifying a game however, then again I recall Gargaune said the story was more than serviceable.
Kingmaker had crap c&c but wotr will improve there a lot

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Why isn't swen passionate about his own universe he spent 20 years working on? He jumps ship the second something better came along. Doesn't sound passionate to me. He couldn't do it himself so he went to someone else's work that could. Passionless. Bg3 had no soul

What are you even on about? Larian's last games (even though they had their fair share of problems) were still good, and passionate CRPG's. And just because they get the chance to work on Baldur's Gate 3 doesn't mean that they're done with their own series. Seriously, which CRPG developer would want to miss out the chance to work on their own version of a Baldur's Gate game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom