Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

I just crossed a guy on the Steam BG3 forum that insists melee have always been too overpowered compared to casters in D&D and I had to come here and double check if it's another Victor/Meredoth account.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just crossed a guy on the Steam BG3 forum that insists melee have always been too overpowered compared to casters in D&D and I had to come here and double check if it's another Victor/Meredoth account.

He is extremely wrong. Only at extremely low levels(like lv 1 to 7), melee is superior and I myself advocated for giving cooler options to martial classes. For eg, in 3E a Wizard can learn finger of death at lv 13. Allow thieves to backstab OHK, to Barbarians to decapitate enemies and so on.

But any link? There is a long time since I ever posted in BG3 steam forum.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I once played with a DM, who insisted that 3.5 is perfectly balanced, and no class is stronger or more versatile than the other. By that he meant, of course
Leadership feat. Fighter doesn't need spells, when he can have a wizard slave!
He also called Book of Exalted Deeds "Book of Exalted Brokens", being under impression that it contains some very strong material.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Typical caster

How allowing a barbarian to decapitate enemies and terrify weaklings via intimidation is a bad thing? Conan beheads Thulsa Doom in the movies. And he decapitate enemies a lot in comics too.

eJhyLJI.png

DM, who insisted that 3.5 is perfectly balanced

The unique balanced D&D edition is 4th edition which is the unique bad D&D edition.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
He also called Book of Exalted Deeds "Book of Exalted Brokens", being under impression that it contains some very strong material.
Just like most other handbooks, the Book of Exalted Deeds contains some very strong material. The spells alone, for example, can ruin the entire campaign if the DM is inexperienced.

Celestial Brilliance has a duration of 1 day/level and can be indefinitely stacked, which means that, if the players aren't in a hurry and have time to prepare, every single encounter with undead or evil outsiders not specifically prepared to counter this spell is now a joke. A level 7 Cleric with 18 Wisdom can cast 2 Celestial Brilliance per day with a duration of 7 days. Casting 12 Celestial Brilliance in 6 days, on the 7th now he deals 12d6 to all undead and 24d6 to all evil outsiders in a 60 ft radius every single round and without using actions. It's not something that can't be countered, but it can easily ruin the day for most DMs (not everyone is as autistic as us).

Lastai's Caress can definitely be a game-breaking spell. It's mind-affecting so it's very easy to find enemies immune to it, but a level 2 spell that has a 75% chance of completely disabling any evil enemy without a saving throw (you only need to make a melee touch attack and surpass the SR) is absolutely out of the line. Basically, once the Cleric learns this spell, the DM can no longer use evil creatures not immune to mind-affecting effects.

A very experienced DM can build his adventures around spells like these, but your standard guy will probably feel overwhelmed.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
he spells alone, for example, can ruin the entire campaign if the DM is inexperienced.

And since are divine spells, nobody cares. If was arcane spells, prepare for 1656511651658166425156651*10²³ balancefags complaining about how OP they are. The most powerful classes in 3rd edition are not the arcane casters. Are the divine casters. Yet you see way more balancefags complaining about wizards than CoDzillas. And in a anti magic field or without spells has decent BAB, medium armor and good hit points. They also has better saves due high WIS. And self healing capabilities.

And in 2E? A Cleric necromancer can animate the dead at lv 5 while a Arcane only at lv 9.

----------------------

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Where is the link to the guy saying it? I'm really curious about his reasons. Unless we are talking about low level campaigns, I don't see how anyone can believe on that. At mid level, depends on how the DM allows resting. The unique exception to caster supremacy at high levels is the Dark Sun setting. Magic users needs to masquarede his spells as psionics since everyone hates then, preparing spells as a defiler or preserver not a trivial thing, depending on the kit it can even be deadly and spell scrolls extremely rare hence the versatility of wizards is a mere tiny fraction of the versatility of a Netherese wizard of the same level.

Shadenuat

Arcane
How often do you trip over your own bathroom robe?

There is a reason long dress was one of the most common types of cloth through ages. It's easy to make, protects from cold (and heat) and even some weapons if it's padded.

It's refined and civilized and elegant. It's barbarians which made pants a thing.

43599508_2159308074289634_1384689257137831936_n.jpg

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
How often do you trip over your own bathroom robe?

There is a reason long dress was one of the most common types of cloth through ages. It's easy to make, protects from cold (and heat) and even some weapons if it's padded.
Yeah, robe is not nearly as bad as the toga. I heard a joke that Romans invented slavery, because it was difficult for a single person to dress up in a toga. Plus you had to hold some of the material on your left hand/arm.

Vatnik Wumao
Just another example of the game acknowledging/reacting to minor things:

Honestly small clips like this one seem to make up for half of what that youtube channel uploads.

Things like this are great, but it's hard to distribute them evenly across the whole game. And call me a pessimist, but I'm guessing that most of them will be in the earlier stages of the game and then there'll be fewer and fewer as the game progresses.

Maybe, but as I said you can only comment on the content that is already there.
Any guesswork on how the rest of the game will follow up is just that: guesswork.

P.S. And just to be clear, I'm not posting in this thread every minor instance of when stuff like this happens, because as I said there would be just too many.

Just browse that very same Youtube channel and you'll spot dozens of "What happen if" video or similar.

And suddenly the genius: a new guy on the official forum that after 30 pages of back and forth on why the chain system is garbage offers us the inspiring breakthrough:

"Guys, it's not that bad! I noticed that you can drag portraits to separate characters! Wouldn't this solve all your issues with this system?"

No, it would fucking not. Am I being trolled or what?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
And suddenly the genius: a new guy on the official forum that after 30 pages of back and forth on why the chain system is garbage offers us the inspiring breakthrough:

"Guys, it's not that bad! I noticed that you can drag portraits to separate characters! Wouldn't this solve all your issues with this system?"

No, it would fucking not. Am I being trolled or what?

I mean... you understand that if you do that, they are no longer chained, right? :smug:

Larianshill

Arbiter
Year 2022 is a very charitable estimate. Personally, I'm not in a rush. As Cyberpunk has shown, games benefit greatly from being in the oven a little bit longer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/2956037417552719318

Hotfix #14 Now Live!
Version Number: 4.1.1.1224125

03206c42b6b11dbd3512c20044724978c8b30f59.jpg

Hey everyone,

We’ve just released a new hotfix for you!

This hotfix addresses some issues with the launcher crashing on certain hardware configurations, issues with crashing when loading Act 1, and we've also fixed the Vulkan "Device Lost" error that was impacting some players.

Thank you to everyone who has sent us crash or bug reports, emailed our support team, and notified us on socials, Discord, Reddit, Steam and our forums about these issues! All of these reports, feedback and suggestions are incredibly valuable to us and help us pinpoint and fix issues as quickly as possible for you.

Thank you for being with us on this journey!

Changelist:
  • Fixed "Device Lost" Vulkan API error message.
  • Fixed the launcher crashing on startup on certain hardware configurations.
  • Fixed a crash when loading Act 1.
  • Fixed an issue with specific interfaces being displayed incorrectly at lower resolutions.
  • Fixed not being able to reach the skeleton with the damaged headpiece in the blighted village.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom