Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

This is the last day we can talk about Shadowheart without the reveals she's a tranny / has been blacked / cucks you / or worst of all, becomes a blonde.

How are Shart lovers are feeling?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Best-Glass-Catfish-size-restricted.gif

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Although the Sage Advice reply
Is this Sage Advice some mechanic?

Sage Advice is essentially unofficial-but-close-to-official errata from D&D developers that clears up common topics of discussion. Most regard it as RAW or near enough. This is from 5E for example:

https://www.sageadvice.eu/

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/SA-Compendium.pdf

Used to be printed in Dragon Magazine back in the day.
I've always thought the Paladin posturing is a bit of an old-school form of incel dick-stroking.

The Paladin has been a reduced and simplified transplant of the 20th century pop-history image of the knight, specifically of the member of a military order.

Now it's a couple of generations since knights were incorporated in D&D as the Paladin class. The popular image of the paladin that we started with has taken a life of its own, and has been contaminated by more modern layers of meanings. So much so that a Paladin player may be informally seen as a contrarian playing against the new stereotypes of racial and cultural "diversity". This is hilarious in itself.

But the pseudo-contrarian's recluse in the Paladin class as a shelter against the wokeshit influences over D&D is itself no more than feigned sophistication. The Paladin class is a simplification of an already distorted understanding of historcal reality, i.e. a "meme", it has been such from the start.

I guess when you design your fantasy setting you either should be serious about everything, or about nothing. The middle ground is inevitably some flavor of cringe.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3655285941429712390
Baldur’s Gate 3: Preparing for Launch

Hey everyone!

We are ONE DAY away from the release of Baldur’s Gate 3, so we hope your hearts are ready for adventure and your eyeballs are primed for tadpoling.

Many of you have been playing Baldur’s Gate 3 since the start of Early Access, all the way back in 2020. You may have accumulated a backlog of old save games, or even a few mods along the way. Even if you’re a first-time player, there’s information here that will be useful to you.

To make sure you’re prepared for the journey ahead, we strongly recommend you take the following steps before venturing forth.

1. Delete your in-game Early Access Saves
We’ve taken measures to ensure a smooth transition into the launch version of BG3, but we still recommend deleting your in-game Early Access save files if you still have access to an Early Access version of the game.

Your Early Access saves and player profiles aren’t compatible with the release version of Baldur’s Gate 3, and leaving them in your save folders may in some fringe cases cause issues. Note: simply deleting the game’s save folder may create conflicts when either Steam Cloud or Larian Cloud re-downloads the save files.
  1. Open Baldur’s Gate 3.
  2. On the main menu, click
    Load Game.
  3. Click through old campaigns and select
    Delete Campaign.

This method will ensure your saves are deleted from your computer as well as from the cloud.

We know it can be hard to say goodbye: if you want to back up your saves before removing them from the cloud, you can move them from
%LocalAppData%\Larian Studios
to another location for safekeeping, before removing them.

4e6ac09b3865a14a456ba0fd1af9df056d0082b0.gif

b568f38c0013d6c0cd279656a8fa1ef6fa6f4e70.gif

2. Uninstall the Early Access version
Having the Early Access version of Baldur’s Gate 3 installed will not speed up your download of the full game, and could affect your installation of the full game. Due to the game being in Early Access, we’re unable to offer pre-loads, as this would break existing Early Access saves. To uninstall:
  1. In the Steam client, open your Steam Library.
  2. Right click
    Baldur’s Gate 3.
  3. From the menu that appears, select
    Manage -> Uninstall.

b8e4a38305ecb0a1f42d2a497d7e11b2f02a63a5.gif

3. Delete your Mods
Existing mods will not be compatible with the release version of Baldur’s Gate 3, and will cause issues or break the game in unpredictable ways.

After uninstalling the game, check your Baldur’s Gate 3 installation folder and your AppData folder for Baldur’s Gate 3 to ensure there are no remaining folders for mods.

If you use a mod installer like the Vortex Mod Manager from Nexus, make sure you also uninstall the mods in the mod manager to ensure they aren’t automatically re-downloaded.

For mod-related troubleshooting, check out our Mod Information support page.

4. Install BG3 on an SSD
A solid-state drive (SSD) is highly recommended to play Baldur’s Gate 3, and we recommend you install the game on yours. It’s good practice to make sure you have more space on the drive than is needed.

5. Update your graphics card drivers
Updating to the latest graphics card drivers will help with compatibility and performance of the game.

6. Refer to the launch FAQ
If you have any problems launching BG3 when we switch to the final version of the game on August 3rd, we’ll have an FAQ accessible from the launcher that will detail some of what we believe may be the most likely problems, with solutions.

Outside of the above, our support teams will be happy to assist you with any problems, but we sincerely hope you have fun with the final version of Baldur’s Gate 3!

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
PC today, consoles september.
I might be wrong, but I think it's only PS5 in September. Xbox will be around, or after, December. Reason for the delay being any Xbox Series X game also being required to run on Xbox Series S, which requires a lot of additional tinkering.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Although the Sage Advice reply
Is this Sage Advice some mechanic?

Sage Advice is essentially unofficial-but-close-to-official errata from D&D developers that clears up common topics of discussion. Most regard it as RAW or near enough. This is from 5E for example:

https://www.sageadvice.eu/

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/SA-Compendium.pdf

Used to be printed in Dragon Magazine back in the day.
I've always thought the Paladin posturing is a bit of an old-school form of incel dick-stroking.

The Paladin has been a reduced and simplified transplant of the 20th century pop-history image of the knight, specifically of the member of a military order.

Now it's a couple of generations since knights were incorporated in D&D as the Paladin class. The popular image of the paladin that we started with has taken a life of its own, and has been contaminated by more modern layers of meanings. So much so that a Paladin player may be informally seen as a contrarian playing against the new stereotypes of racial and cultural "diversity". This is hilarious in itself.

But the pseudo-contrarian's recluse in the Paladin class as a shelter against the wokeshit influences over D&D is itself no more than feigned sophistication. The Paladin class is a simplification of an already distorted understanding of historcal reality, i.e. a "meme", it has been such from the start.

I guess when you design your fantasy setting you either should be serious about everything, or about nothing. The middle ground is inevitably some flavor of cringe.

I dunno, dude. My best adventures and favourite role-playing games have always been the "you're sitting a tavern"-kind, i.e. frolicking adventures that explore the kitsch of D&D instead of incelling them to death with overseriousness as some people in this thread are wont to do, the paladin-sperging being case in point. It's why I've always liked Forgotten Realms better than most other D&D setting. Yes, it's a kitchen sink setting, but at least it exists mainly to facilitate adventure, whereas most other settings have this air of self-importance about them that clash *hard* with the poor quality of their writing. It's also why I think the most promising part of BG3 is that in contrast to all the modern writing with warriors acting like teenagers, at least it seems to have a deep understanding that D&D's biggest strength isn't in its inherent thematic qualities but in the breadth of weirdness and wonder you can explore in it (evident in the Nautiloid and how the illithid controls it for instance, it's pure D&D kitsch).

There are exceptions (like Torment), but just like mr. Plinkett says: unless you're Lars von Trier (i.e. Avellone in this simile), you should probably stick to the ground rules of exciting fantasy when writing your adventure. A lesson Sawyer should have heeded with Pillars.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
My disgust for this game has only increased.
Instead of talking about builds, quests and character design, it's only bear sex, trannies and other degenerate shit that would make Ed Greenwood blush...
Modern rpg for modern audience, right?
I'll just stick to BG 1 and 2.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Instead of talking about builds, quests and character design, it's only bear sex, trannies and other degenerate shit that would make Ed Greenwood blush...
Everything I actually played made me like it.

But the past year of press has made me HATE it almost as much as Wrath of the Tranny.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
I dunno, dude. My best adventures and favourite role-playing games have always been the "you're sitting a tavern"-kind, i.e. frolicking adventures that explore the kitsch of D&D instead of incelling them to death with overseriousness as some people in this thread are wont to do, the paladin-sperging being case in point. It's why I've always liked Forgotten Realms better than most other D&D setting. Yes, it's a kitchen sink setting, but at least it exists mainly to facilitate adventure, whereas most other settings have this air of self-importance about them that clash *hard* with the poor quality of their writing. It's also why I think the most promising part of BG3 is that in contrast to all the modern writing with warriors acting like teenagers, at least it seems to have a deep understanding that D&D's quality isn't in its inherent thematic qualities but in the breadth of weirdness and wonder you can explore in it (evident in the way the Nautiloid and how the illithid controls it for instance, it's pure D&D kitsch).

There are exceptions (like Torment), but just like mr. Plinkett says: unless you're Lars von Trier (i.e. Avellone in this simile), you should probably stick to the ground rules of exciting fantasy when writing your adventure. A lesson Sawyer should have heeded with Pillars.
Fantasy still works best for me when it's simply Good against Evil, or rolling into an adventure. All this pseudo intellectual talk about "but what really is evil?" or "bUt WhAt Is LaWfUl GoOd?" (to then proceed to play a insufferable tyrant) has only detracted from the genre, not added.

A paladin doesn't "purge" anything. You read too much Warhammer.

A paladin is the embodiment of justice. Justice doesn't always come in the form of death. A righteous paladin will only slay an opponent who is truly evil and irredeemable; demons, evil creatures, beings that know nothing but evil can never repent and thus must be eliminated.

But killing a fellow sentient creature without due process? This is not the role of the paladin. Murder is an evil act.
The creator of the paladin class disagreed with you quite strongly:

"A player with a Paladin character asks if this character can put someone to death (who) is severely scarred and doesn't want to live. Although the Sage Advice reply was a strong negative, the actual truth of the matter might lie somewhere else. The player does not give the name of the deity served by the Paladin. This is the key to lawful good behavior in AD&D terms. Remember that good can be related to reality ofttimes, but not always. It might also relate to good as perceived in the past, actual or mythical. In the latter case, a Paladin could well force conversion at swordpoint, and, once acceptance of the true way was expressed, dispatch the new convert on the spot. This assures that the prodigal will not return to the former evil ways, sends the now-saved spirit on to a better place, and incidentally rids the world of a potential troublemaker. Such actions are good, in these ways:
1. Evil is abridged (by at least one creature).
2. Good has gained a convert.
3. The convert now has hope for rewards (rather than torment) in the afterlife.
4. The good populace is safer (by a factor of at least 1).
It is therefore possible for a Paladin to, in fact, actually perform a mercy killing such as the inquiring player asked about, provided the tenets of his or her theology permitted it. While unlikely, it is possible."

- Gary Gygax, "From the Sorceror's Scroll", Dragon Magazine #38 (June 1980)
man, I loved 1st edition D&D when I played it, maybe its because I was just 11 or 12 and it was the 1st time...but I don't know

Orud

Scholar
Patron
But the past year of press has made me HATE it almost as much as Wrath of the Tranny.
Don't read/listen to video game media, it's all about attracting your attention anyway. Stick to reading after reports, internal insights or anything else that's basically just companies showing their inner workings. You'll see far less garbage that way.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/ has a lot of good industry articles (used to be gamasutra).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I dunno, dude. My best adventures and favourite role-playing games have always been the "you're sitting a tavern"-kind, i.e. frolicking adventures that explore the kitsch of D&D instead of incelling them to death with overseriousness as some people in this thread are wont to do, the paladin-sperging being case in point
That is my point in the quoted post - better take it all as a joke, at least you will get some passing entertainment value from it.

I'd even say that this is the better fit for interactive mediums. Let non-interactive mediums where the experience is fully controlled by the author and the audience (which chooses when and in what state of mind to experience the creation) take the risk of being serious. Because it's essentially a risk.

Being shallow, parodying, and offering passing entertainment is far easier than trying to genuinely say something, i.e. "make a statement", artistically, or philosophically.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Don't read/listen to video game media, it's all about attracting your attention anyway. Stick to reading after reports, internal insights or anything else that's basically just companies showing their inner workings. You'll see far less garbage that way.
It's about what Larian themselves say they're putting in the game and what they themselves put a spotlight on, waste dev time on etc.

SGf99Nu.png

Putting this niggerfaggot in the game instead of spending time on things that are actually important like creating your own NPCs, for example.

Readher

Savant
Modern rpg for modern audience, right?
I'll just stick to BG 1 and 2.
Builds - it's fucking 5E with a twist, it's been available for years, what is there to talk about?
Quests - how can we talk about quests when the game isn't even out yet? The stuff in EA has been talked to death already.
Character design - if you mean visual, then it's literally talked about all the time. If it's builds, then you're just repeating yourself.

The discussion is about meme stuff because everything else has been already talked about, at least until the full game releases, and meme stuff is funny. So by all means, boomer, go play the same games over and over again for 50 years instead of having fun, like even people shitting on the game do here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom