Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
you're meant to take as few long rests as possible.
And that is shit,it fucks up the player's experience and limits your desire to explore and battle. It is unclear and hidden time mechanic that makes the player wonder about every small thing,if it will get fucked if he rests. Also a decent amount of useful skills are locked behind a full rest like the talking to dead people amulet,or the wizard's teleportation,which is retarded. Nobody likes rpgs that force you to rush.
Really? Maybe no casuals like it.

It’s called urgency. And it helps keep the game interesting. When you have to choose between fighting a goblin horde using only cantrips and ticking down the clock with a brain eating parasite, suddenly you have a reason to not rest before every single fight.

Larian actually fixed one of the glaring flaws of BG: rest spam. And here you are on a supposedly hardcore RPG site crying about it.

Funny how you had no problem with implied rush mechanics in BG2. You’re supposed to rescue Imoen. Every minute you delay is another moment she’s getting tortured by Irenicus or the wizards or whatever.

Same with Fallout’s waterchip timer.

The only difference is that this is slightly more real. (And how much more real is revealed in the story as your progress.)
Indeed. But most old school BGtards have never played real D&D so they don't know anything besides the old school trash they played and glorify, ignoring all the immense faults BG1 and 2 had.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So I accidentally rested before freeing the gith from her cage.

In most games that wouldn't matter. In BG3, the goblins came and took her while I slept.

This is good RPG design. If you say it isn't, you're just wrong.
I don't know if it's a bug or if something actually happened, but:

Where there's the big house in flames, you can join a squad of flaming fists who are trying to break the door. If you pass near the house and ignore them, when you come back after a while they already stormed the house.
Again, maybe I just encountered a bug, but if that's not the case then the amount of branching paths that stem from you acting in certain ways or not acting at all is impressive. Generations of unoriginal and unimaginative RPG design led us to believe that quests that endlessly wait for the player HAVE TO be the norm, but holy fuck this is so much better.
It is a fucking game not real life,i play that shit to not be in the real life. Don't care about all that immursion garbage.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
And that is shit,it fucks up the player's experience and limits your desire to explore and battle. It is unclear and hidden time mechanic that makes the player wonder about every small thing,if it will get fucked if he rests. Also a decent amount of useful skills are locked behind a full rest like the talking to dead people amulet,or the wizard's teleportation,which is retarded. Nobody likes rpgs that force you to rush.
Resting limitations that have impact on quests is genius.
No,it is retarded limitations that kills the joy of exploration. At very least it should be made clear that there will be negative consequences from your resting. That said i manage to get till the spiders and kill most goblins without resting.
I almost always agree with you, but here I think you are completely wrong.

You don't get fucked if you rest, and the game doesn't force you to rush. You simply get to experience two different paths depending on how you approach the game. And this means that, if things intertwine in clever ways, you might get to experience even more different things depending on where in the story you decide to take your time.

Also, come on, you get so many scrolls that you can easily complete the entire chapter without ever resting, if you care about that.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

In most games that wouldn't matter. In BG3, the goblins came and took her while I slept.

Where there's the big house in flames, you can join a squad of flaming fists who are trying to break the door. If you pass near the house and ignore them, when you come back after a while they already stormed the house.
Again, maybe I just encountered a bug, but if that's not the case then the amount of branching paths that stem from you acting in certain ways or not acting at all is impressive. Generations of unoriginal and unimaginative RPG design led us to believe that quests that endlessly wait for the player HAVE TO be the norm, but holy fuck this is so much better.
I *think* a majority of the timers require you to at least know about what’s happening, so you must have passed close enough to trigger it.

The game basically prompts you to long rest when fighting the intellect devourers, but I’m guessing that doing so won’t make you miss your chance to save the Gith, for example.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
That's kinda the entire premise of Princess Mononoke, simply substituting dragon with nature spirit. Doesn't mean they are not scary in the movie though!
Now you're making me recall an anime I watched nine years ago. From what I remember, yes. The story does follow a different path from the typical arcing flow I'm describing. Ghibli stories actually often do. They flow in an atypical way that keeps you engaged while wondering what's happening. Action-packed while maintaining a dream-like level of suspense that keeps you into the story while wondering what is going on. I'd have to rewatch it to get the specifics again. But we're talking about different grades of writing here. One, most anime watchers know Ghibli and respect him. Two, Ghibli is actually good. His studio can flip story conventions on their head and really do whatever they want. There's a benchmark idea among storytellers. You only break the conventions if you're really fucking good. The goofball zoomers at Larian should not be breaking the classic hero conventions to create Baldur's Gate 3.

And that’s not what happened in this story.

You’re talking about the wounded mind flayer, right? The one that can compel ordinary people to murder you? The one that abducted you and put a parasite in your brain? The one that can go toe to toe with a cambion? The one that can almost mind control you into offering up your brains if you talk to it and should it succeed will proceed to rake the surviving party members over the coals like it was nothing?

There are plenty of things you can criticize the game for. Why do you have to reach like this?
I'm talking on a purely emotional level here. If you kill something, you fear it less. Somebody can tell you whatever they want. The fact remains you smashed its brains into the dirt. That action generates an emotional response which makes you feel a certain way towards mind flayers. BG2, there are hives of mind flayers. They usually wipe an inexperienced 10th level player. If he knows to cast Chaotic Commands, they will drain his intelligence to zero in a couple rounds. If he cheeses with skeletons, good mods will have the mind flayers destroy them in a round. These things are deadly, and they have plans for the City of Amn.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

It is a fucking game not real life,i play that shit to not be in the real life. Don't care about all that immursion garbage.
Yes I understand this concept is too hard to grasp for a b*lgarian with an average IQ of 85.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

I *think* a majority of the timers require you to at least know about what’s happening, so you must have passed close enough to trigger it.

The game basically prompts you to long rest when fighting the intellect devourers, but I’m guessing that doing so won’t make you miss your chance to save the Gith, for example.
Yes:

I saw the flaming fists striking the door while trying to get in, but I ignored them and kept exploring.
And that's what makes it incredibly interesting. I took for granted that that quest would just have waited for me, because it is unthinkable that the world might go on without my actions. Instead, the world, quests, and NPCs follow their "story" regardless of player's intervention. This adds a completely unexpected and welcomed layer to the game: you already exhausted most of your resources and see some NPCs that need your help, what do you do? You try to rescue them even without you best spells or give up and rest?

But, again, it might as well just be a simple bug.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Resting limitations that have impact on quests is genius.
No,it is retarded limitations that kills the joy of exploration. At very least it should be made clear that there will be negative consequences from your resting. That said i manage to get till the spiders and kill most goblins without resting.
I almost always agree with you, but here I think you are completely wrong.

You don't get fucked if you rest, and the game doesn't force you to rush. You simply get to experience two different paths depending on how you approach the game. And this means that, if things intertwine in clever ways, you might get to experience even more different things depending on where in the story you decide to take your time.

Also, come on, you get so many scrolls that you can easily complete the entire chapter without ever resting, if you care about that.
No,as i said,pc games are not tabletop and people that try to make that that are retards i would like to see dead. In table top the dm can adjust to the poor rolls and make it fun or fuck you up if you wanted to roll for some retarded shit. In games you either do it right or you get fucked. Just like the goblin shit,you either get a good fighter character to help you in battle or you don't. It is a pc game,there is pre deterrent path,you either do it the way you want it to do it or you don't. Games are power fantasy in any aspect really,we are not rogues,wizards or fighters,we are middle age dudes that enjoy to experience different stories and worlds. I just want to sit on my ass and experience a whole game,don't mind challenging combat or high skill checks. But i can't stand being rushed doing things and the developer punishing me for using a game mechanics. Timed quest could be good if they are clear about the time restriction and make sense. If i want to get rushed i would just go to work.

Also lol urgency Lambchop19 ,fucking fanboy lol. It is a pile of pixels,normal people don't experience urgency because something will happen in a game,they experience annoyance that they have missed on something. Get a fucking life you loser!

Games shouldn't be imitation of real life,but a fun experience. Also the time limit in old fallout games was retarded mechanic that even the devs hater,go get wrecked!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
No,as i said,pc games are not tabletop and people that try to make that that are retards i would like to see dead. In table top the dm can adjust to the poor rolls and make it fun or fuck you up if you wanted to roll for some retarded shit. In games you either do it right or you get fucked. Just like the goblin shit,you either get a good fighter character to help you in battle or you don't. It is a pc game,there is pre deterrent path,you either do it the way you want it to do it or you don't. Games are power fantasy in any aspect really,we are not rogues,wizards or fighters,we are middle age dudes that enjoy to experience different stories and worlds. I just want to sit on my ass and experience a whole game,don't mind challenging combat or high skill checks. But i can't stand being rushed doing things and the developer punishing me for using a game mechanics. Timed quest could be good if they are clear about the time restriction and make sense. If i want to get rushed i would just go to work.
To miss the gith you have to rest like two times after a single encounter. After 2 minutes you already have a fighter, a rogue, and a cleric, what quest with different endings depending on how long you take to complete them could possibly gimp your experience?

Unless...
...someone could get killed in your camp at night. :smug:

I'm talking on a purely emotional level here. If you kill something, you fear it less.
So at the end of the movie Aliens, where they had killed dozens of the things, I guess they didn’t fear the aliens anymore, right?

I suppose you think that the fact that you can go and smother an old man in a nursing home means that violent gang members aren’t to be feared?

Again, all that buildup was for a reason. You being in the position to kill one on its deathbed doesn’t make them any less fearsome. You can put a boot to its head, but it already put a worm in your brain.

Also lol urgency Lambchop19 ,fucking fanboy lol. It is a pile of pixels,normal people don't experience urgency because something will happen in a game,they experience annoyance that they have missed on something. Get a fucking life you loser!
You seem upset. :M

“It’s a pile of pixels” doesn’t stop devs from writing stories and giving dialog to them. It’s almost like suspension of disbelief is part of an fiction.

And I’m not the one who spends his day arguing about a game he already uninstalled. If anyone needs a life it’s you, bro.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
To miss the gith you have to rest like two times after a single encounter.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Don't do excuses mate,either hold your own opinions or agree with my points. Half assed shit "oh but you get to experience this shit only IF you do it that amount of time." I dislike the core concept and quest paths,i am not butthurt for happening to me. I did managed to play most of the game without resting. That is not the point.

You can also miss her after a single rest of you leave her in the cage after running off the tieflings.

But that’s basically a choice. Your journal will say you left her to her fate.

Sharpedge

Prophet
You also miss stuff if you rest too often. In my first playthrough, I rested a total of 3 times throughout exploring the entire EA. I did not trigger any of the dream sequences and I am sure there are other things I missed as well within the world. It is definitely an interesting dynamic, that is for sure.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
:nocountryforshitposters:
Don't do excuses mate,either hold your own opinions or agree with my points. Half assed shit "oh but you get to experience this shit only IF you do it that amount of time." I dislike the core concept and quest paths,i am not butthurt for happening to me. I did managed to play most of the game without resting. That is not the point.
That's not my point. You get to experience different things depending on what you decide to do and when. If there's a guy holding a kid with a knife to his throat screaming "I'M GOING TO KILL THIS KID I SWEAR TO GOD", and I just walk away without interacting with them, I want to see the fucking kid dead. If I spend 200 years in chapter 2 doing nothing, resting, and fucking around, I WANT TO SEE NPCS DYING OF OLD AGE

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You seem upset. :M

“It’s a pile of pixels” doesn’t stop devs from writing stories and giving dialog to them. It’s almost like suspension of disbelief is part of an fiction.

And I’m not the one who spends his day arguing about a game he already uninstalled. If anyone needs a life it’s you, bro.
Actually i am a bit upset. Not about the game or its retarded mechanics,but about the reaction on the codex. It is shameful how people fall for that garbage. I wouldn't have minded if there was some actual reasonable discussion,but you people just rabbit fanboys and just shill endlessly,unable to accept any criticism of the game.

The game most likely will be ok in my book. I don't have any deep hatred of it,it is a modern casual game aimed to sell shit ton,just like dos games. Clearly swen is a decent business men that knows how to make money. That doesn't mean the codex have to become a casualtard larping site. If i wanted that shit,i would have made a reddit account or joined reeeeera.

Sharpedge

Prophet
the assassin in the druid grove will kill some of the refugees if you don't kill him the first time you're there btw
I have not personally tried this, but I would not be surprised if the kid dies to the harpies if you don't help him early enough either. What I do know however, is that if you side with the goblins and clear out the refugee camp before chasing the owlbear, it disappears.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Actually i am a bit upset. Not about the game or its retarded mechanics,but about the reaction on the codex. It is shameful how people fall for that garbage. I wouldn't have minded if there was some actual reasonable discussion,but you people just rabbit fanboys and just shill endlessly,unable to accept any criticism of the game.

If anything, the opposite is true: The Codex reacting with bitter cynicism, not accepting any actual reasonable discussion, and just endlessly shitting on the game while refusing to give praise where its merited.
That the haters would pull the victim card here is hilarious, when they have the larger number of posters, posting the larger volume of garbage, as is almost always the case on this forum.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
You can also miss her after a single rest of you leave her in the cage after running off the tieflings.

But that’s basically a choice. Your journal will say you left her to her fate.
the assassin in the druid grove will kill some of the refugees if you don't kill him the first time you're there btw
Absolute and massive incline. I've seen a lot of shitty things in this game, and this is not one of them.

sophisticated man
Coming from the guy who cites “boring fantasy novels” as examples of good literature.

No offense, but if you wanted me to think you’re sophisticated, you could have cited War and Peace.

It’s a fantasy game about brain sucking aliens and you want a slow start? Ok. How do you want it? How should it have started? You at a farmhouse, shoveling dung, then after a 20 minute tutorial, you get abducted by mine flayers? Or maybe minds flayers are too much. Maybe they need to start you off fighting rats in a pantry like in BG1. Oh wow, such great gameplay. I’m sure that wouldn’t make people refund it. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom