Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Why isn't anyone talking about the plot?

Why isn't anyone talking about the plot?
Hard to make any sensible comment about it, since there isn't much of it implemented aside from the premise.
Almost the entire first act goes looking for possible notable characters allegedly able to cure and only by the end of the first act the plot starts moving toward other intermediate goals.
Of course, it's not hard to imagine where some of it it's going: these tadpoles clearly aren't of the "ordinary" kind and there's some big plan at play here.

I'm going out of my way to guess that once again some resurrection/reincarnation of some old god is involved on the long run.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
you realize IE RTwP is still turn-based, right?
The entire thing is an illusion.

Even if you set it to pause at the start of combat and at the end of every character's round and only issue orders during those pauses, it doesn't play like any turn- or phase-based game anyone's ever played.

Those who have played Kingmaker in turn-based have noted that it demonstrates how the AI wasn't made with turn-based in mind. IE AI certainly wasn't made with turn-based in mind either.

Edit: Another demonstration. Casting a fireball:
In turn-based: You choose an area, and it's going to hit everyone in that area.
In phase-based: You choose an area, and if you win the initiative roll, you hit who's in that area. If you lose, you hit no one or some of them. You declare your action, and when it's your character's turn in the initiative queue, you choose an area and it's going to hit everyone in that area.
In real time with pause: lol those people are going to move out of the way long before your wizard stops ineffectively waving his/her hands around unless the one casting it is a cheating AI with a homing fireball

Last edited:

Varnaan

Augur
The fact that the game is a sequel to BG3, but you don't see anything from BG2 story on it, not even an Aerie's child. He was pregnant on my last BG2 run
Man only the introduction of the game is playable now, it's already been confirmed that the mindlayer thing isn't even the main focus of the later parts of the game. We don't know shit about the plot, hence the speculations about the Dead Three, and me masturbating about Cyric.

you realize IE RTwP is still turn-based, right?
The entire thing is an illusion.

Even if you set it to pause at the start of combat and at the end of every character's round and only issue orders during those pauses, it doesn't play like any turn- or phase-based game anyone's ever played.

Those who have played Kingmaker in turn-based have noted that it demonstrates how the AI wasn't made with turn-based in mind. IE AI certainly wasn't made with turn-based in mind either.

Edit: Another demonstration. Casting a fireball:
In turn-based: You choose an area, and it's going to hit everyone in that area.
In phase-based: You choose an area, and if you win the initiative roll, you hit who's in that area. If you lose, you hit no one or some of them.
In real time with pause: lol those people are going to move out of the way long before your wizard stops ineffectively waving his/her hands around unless the one casting it is a cheating AI with a homing fireball

I think the point was that in Baldur's Gate (and the IE games) the combat is divided in turns divided in 10 rounds per turn with each rounds being 6 seconds long if I remember correctly, so despite not being "turn based" in effect everything, even the max distance you can move in a turn, is standardized.
Of course it's a bit different than a pure TB system but it's still a hybrid of sort, compared to some pure RTWP systems with no round/turn notion.

In the worg pens, you can release the bear from a cage by shooting the lever.

If you kill all the goblins before freeing Halsin he'll kill all the ennemies in the Worg Pens and go back to the grove by himself

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think the point was that in Baldur's Gate (and the IE games) the combat is divided in turns divided in 10 rounds per turn with each rounds being 6 seconds long if I remember correctly, so despite not being "turn based" in effect everything, even the max distance you can move in a turn, is standardized.
Of course it's a bit different than a pure TB system but it's still a hybrid of sort, compared to some pure RTWP systems with no round/turn notion.

It's not the "illusion" of real-time though. It is real time, real-time with rounds.

Varnaan

Augur

It's not the "illusion" of real-time though. It is real time, real-time with rounds.
Real time wirh rounds AND turns defining which actions can be taken at which frequency.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuark lads, no brakes on this train.

Nr. 1 on best selling.

LVt2YGP.png
Steam screen don't matter. I got Cyber on top, Fifa on 2nd and BG on 3rd. Depends on region, games owned/ignored and date and time.
PS Among us sold more then BG3 and got 140k online right now. Ergo Among Us is better then BG3.

This is the link you want: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=globaltopsellers

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Real time wirh rounds AND turns defining which actions can be taken at which frequency.

"Turns" don't mean anything, it's just ten rounds. In real time with pause games without rounds, you're also still restricted by how quickly your characters can do things, it's just not codified into six second increments.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Fuark lads, no brakes on this train.

Nr. 1 on best selling.

LVt2YGP.png
Steam screen don't matter. I got Cyber on top, Fifa on 2nd and BG on 3rd. Depends on region, games owned/ignored and date and time.
PS Among us sold more then BG3 and got 140k online right now. Ergo Among Us is better then BG3.

This is the link you want: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=globaltopsellers

Thanks, still number 2 behind phasmophobia I see. Very nice

vmar

Savant
Really hoping Paladins make it into ea sometime, I need to smite the shit out of filthy degenerates.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Really hoping Paladins make it into ea sometime, I need to smite the shit out of filthy degenerates.

You're gonna be disappointed. 5e is such trash they actually did away with alignment restrictions. Paladins are the degenerates now.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
WTF is this discussion about? In BG2, and NWN2 you schedule actions, and they happen at start of next turn of characters according to initiative. With real real time combat, initiative is undefined.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

You're gonna be disappointed. 5e is such trash they actually did away with alignment restrictions. Paladins are the degenerates now.
Not being restricted by alignment doesn't change the fact that you can play a "lawful good" paladin. Now you are restricted in your actions by the tenets of your oath. This allows for a much cleaner definition of what a paladin is:

Tenets of Devotion
Though the exact words and strictures of the Oath of Devotion vary, paladins of this oath share these tenets.

Honesty. Don't lie or cheat. Let your word be your promise.

Courage. Never fear to act, though caution is wise.

Compassion. Aid others, protect the weak, and punish those who threaten them. Show mercy to your foes, but temper it with wisdom.

Honor. Treat others with fairness, and let your honorable deeds be an example to them. Do as much good as possible while causing the least amount of harm.

Duty. Be responsible for your actions and their consequences, protect those entrusted to your care, and obey those who have just authority over you.
Tenents Of Glory
The tenets of the Oath of Glory drive a paladin to attempt heroics that might one day shine in legend.

Actions over Words. Strive to be known by glorious deeds, not words.

Challenges Are but Tests. Face hardships with courage, and encourage your allies to face them with you.

Hone the Body. Like raw stone, your body must be worked so its potential can be realized.

Discipline the Soul. You must marshal the discipline to overcome failings within yourself that threaten to dim the glory of you and your friends.
Tenets of the Crown
The tenets of the Oath of the Crown are often set by the sovereign to which their oath is sworn, but generally emphasize the following tenets.

Law. The law is paramount. It is the mortar that holds the stones of civilization together, and it must be respected.

Loyalty. Your word is your bond. Without loyalty, oaths and laws are meaningless.

Courage. You must be willing to do what needs to be done for the sake of order, even in the face of overwhelming odds. If you don't act, then who will?

Responsibility. You must deal with the consequences of your actions, and you are responsible for fulfilling your duties and obligations.
Tenets of the Ancients
The tenets of the Oath of the Ancients have been preserved for uncounted centuries. This oath emphasizes the principles of good above any concerns of law or chaos. Its four central principles are simple.

Kindle the Light. Through your acts of mercy, kindness, and forgiveness, kindle the light of hope in the world, beating back despair.

Shelter the Light. Where there is good, beauty, love, and laughter in the world, stand against the wickedness that would swallow it. Where life flourishes, stand against the forces that would render it barren.

Preserve Your Own Light. Delight in song and laughter, in beauty and art. If you allow the light to die in your own heart, you can't preserve it in the world.

Be the Light. Be a glorious beacon for all who live in despair. Let the light of your joy and courage shine forth in all your deeds.

This is much better than:

"Your paladin is lawful good"

"What does it mean?"

"Lol, dunno"

Poseidon00

Arcane
Not being restricted by alignment doesn't change the fact that you can play a "lawful good" paladin. Now you are restricted in your actions by the tenets of your oath. This allows for a much cleaner definition of what a paladin is:

"What does it mean?"

"Lol, dunno"

Imagine needing to be spoonfed a handful of painfully generic Oaths to be able to roleplay a paladin. Your god and their portfolio offered you a large set of ready made philosophies to choose from.

We should have gatekept retards like this out of DnD.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Imagine needing to be spoonfed a handful of painfully generic Oaths to be able to roleplay a paladin. Your god and their portfolio offered you a large set of ready made philosophies to choose from.

Imagine needing to be spoonfed an alignment to be able to roleplay a paladin. Your oath and its tenets offer you a large set of ready made philosophies to choose from.

Gargaune

Magister

"What does it mean?"

"Lol, dunno"

Rubbish, how will Larian track it? Interestingly, we know that BG3 still has some manner of alignment metric under the hood since Swen specifically mentioned that companions like Gale may leave if you keep doing "evil" things, but without a formal feedback system they won't be able to aggregate the PC's more general behaviour. They could hypothetically build individual triggers into some of the larger C&C setpieces to cause a Paladin to fall, but by and large BG3 won't have any infrastructure to prevent a Devotion Paladin from breaking into granny's house and stealing her pension.

I just got back to the UK after a 3 year stay in Japan and honestly I am revulsed by 95% of the women I see, they are disgustingly overweight especially compared to Japanese women and also just generally ugly. And I'm not even one of those people who has 'yellow fever', I actually find western women more attractive in terms of body shape and face shape, but Japanese women (and men, but I'm straight so whatever) actually take care of their bodies and have a degree of class that most UK women couldn't even dream of.

Western culture is just degenerate honestly, not saying Eastern culture is superior in all ways, far from it, but fuck me people are just morons here.
Japan is actually highly influenced by western culture, the only problem now is that The West itself has become decadent.

uHsc6zl.jpg

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Rubbish, how will Larian track it? Interestingly, we know that BG3 still has some manner of alignment metric under the hood since Swen specifically mentioned that companions like Gale may leave if you keep doing "evil" things, but without a formal feedback system they won't be able to aggregate the PC's more general behaviour. They could hypothetically build individual triggers into some of the larger C&C setpieces to cause a Paladin to fall, but by and large BG3 won't have any infrastructure to prevent a Devotion Paladin from breaking into granny's house and stealing her pension.
And having an alignment would change things how, exactly?

Yosharian

Arcane
I just got back to the UK after a 3 year stay in Japan and honestly I am revulsed by 95% of the women I see, they are disgustingly overweight especially compared to Japanese women and also just generally ugly. And I'm not even one of those people who has 'yellow fever', I actually find western women more attractive in terms of body shape and face shape, but Japanese women (and men, but I'm straight so whatever) actually take care of their bodies and have a degree of class that most UK women couldn't even dream of.

Western culture is just degenerate honestly, not saying Eastern culture is superior in all ways, far from it, but fuck me people are just morons here.
Japan is actually highly influenced by western culture, the only problem now is that The West itself has become decadent.
Influenced? That's putting it strongly. The Japanese love Western culture but only as tourists, they steal the parts they think are cool and appropriate them, but their core ideals haven't changed that much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom