Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

GloomFrost

Arcane
btw, starting a game as a gith is pretty cool since a lot of options are completely different
Ok how different are they? Just couple of extra dialogue lines or proper different quest outcomes and rewritten texts Troika style? Knowing Larian the former I take it.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Here's that letter referencing Sarevok I mentioned earlier
There came to me a woman (whom I shall henceforth call 'R'), greatly distraught at the unusual tempers of her husband (whom I shall henceforth call 'B'). Three months prior, he'd suffered night sweats, crying out from sleep that he bore the 'mark of chaos'. Two months prior, he'd taken to calling himself by the name 'Sarevok'. One month ago, he'd speak of little else but 'the throne for which he is destined'. I attended to B at the couple's farmhouse. He sat calmly at the table, an unknown book clutched to his chest. I detected no curse nor loathsome spirit upon him, nor the presence of magic. Yet upon shining the light of candleflame upon him, he raised the book high and exclaimed, 'The deaths they bring shall awaken the father, and through them he will rise! I snatched the book from his hand and flung it into the hearth, where it burned not in red or yellow flame, but pure black. It left but a single scrap, reading: 'He foresaw his coming death, and seeded his essence across the land.' B shivered and sighed, as if waking from nightmare. He had no memory of the book, nor the words he had spoken.Diagnosis: Unspecified Neurotic Enthrallment Treatment: Herbal tincture of garlic and drace, sipped thrice daily until exhaustion lifts.

Doesn't seem like it's foreshadowing anything, it's just referencing what already happened I guess.

Only this isn't right. Sarevok was the adopted son of a wealthy merchant and head figure of the Iron Throne. Plus he didn't have a wife.

So someone is intentionally spreading disinformation about Bhaalspawn.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
There came to me a woman (whom I shall henceforth call 'R'), greatly distraught at the unusual tempers of her husband (whom I shall henceforth call 'B'). Three months prior, he'd suffered night sweats, crying out from sleep that he bore the 'mark of chaos'. Two months prior, he'd taken to calling himself by the name 'Sarevok'. One month ago, he'd speak of little else but 'the throne for which he is destined'. I attended to B at the couple's farmhouse. He sat calmly at the table, an unknown book clutched to his chest. I detected no curse nor loathsome spirit upon him, nor the presence of magic. Yet upon shining the light of candleflame upon him, he raised the book high and exclaimed, 'The deaths they bring shall awaken the father, and through them he will rise! I snatched the book from his hand and flung it into the hearth, where it burned not in red or yellow flame, but pure black. It left but a single scrap, reading: 'He foresaw his coming death, and seeded his essence across the land.' B shivered and sighed, as if waking from nightmare. He had no memory of the book, nor the words he had spoken.Diagnosis: Unspecified Neurotic Enthrallment Treatment: Herbal tincture of garlic and drace, sipped thrice daily until exhaustion lifts.

Doesn't seem like it's foreshadowing anything, it's just referencing what already happened I guess.

Only this isn't right. Sarevok was the adopted son of a wealthy merchant and head figure of the Iron Throne. Plus he didn't have a wife.

The farmer was obviously posessed by some remnant of Sarevok's memories.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Wrong, since he speaks in future tense. This is supposed to be happening BEFORE the Bhaalspawn Crisis. Also, Sarevok was the only one of the Bhaalspawn who thought Bhaal would be brought back by acts of mass slaughter (which was the wrong assumption, of course).

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Wrong, since he speaks in future tense. This is supposed to be happening BEFORE the Bhaalspawn Crisis. Also, Sarevok was the only one of the Bhaalspawn who thought Bhaal would be brought back by acts of mass slaughter (which was the wrong assumption, of course).

Spirits of the dead are under no obligation of making sense, or remembering everything accurately.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
btw, starting a game as a gith is pretty cool since a lot of options are completely different
Ok how different are they? Just couple of extra dialogue lines or proper different quest outcomes and rewritten texts Troika style? Knowing Larian the former I take it.

s47u5plidot51.jpg

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Spirits of the dead are under no obligation of making sense, or remembering everything accurately.

So what? You think that's how they'll bring the Bhaalspawn back? Via possession? You think this will be the "dark power within" mentioned in the game summary?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

So what? You think that's how they'll bring the Bhaalspawn back? Via possession? You think this will be the "dark power within" mentioned in the game summary?

Never said that. I merely observed what this mention of "Sarevok" indicates.

Codex Year of the Donut
engine is incredibly moddable btw, I'd be surprised if basically every possible option from the core rules aren't implemented in some form via mods within a year of release

Codex Year of the Donut
engine is incredibly moddable btw, I'd be surprised if basically every possible option from the core rules aren't implemented in some form via mods within a year of release
Took me about 30 seconds after posting this to make a tiny mod to increase Detect Thoughts from 10 turns to 100 turns :M
going to be nice when we actually get the devkit

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Unrelated but in my group people refer top Baldurs Gate 3 only as Baldurs Gate soon the existence of the first two games will be completely forgotten :cool:
:shunthenonbeliever:
I've been calling it all along. bg3 will retroactively ruin the actual bg series. The forums I use to go on specifically for bg are now just larian cultists talking about bg3, even though they've made their own specific places to discuss bg3. All new people too, I don't recognize any of their names from the community before. larian cultists are an infestation that will try to push larian ideas and themselves anywhere they possibly can. In 2 years you will meet someone and if you start talking about video games and try to tell them one of your favorite series was bg, they will enthusiastically agree and try to talk to you about barrels and surfaces and sucking goblin toes and larian.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The thing about larian I think is the worse is their area design philosophy. Each act has an area that you explore then move on permanently for the next act. Witcher 1 did the same idea really well but it just doesn't work for me here, and certainly not in a 'bg' game. Witcher 1 also didn't treat it like an amusement park.

Codex Year of the Donut
Took me about 30 seconds after posting this to make a tiny mod to increase Detect Thoughts from 10 turns to 100 turns :M
most abilities can easily be tweaked via a simple override
e.g., jump/disengage as a standard action rather than bonus
jumpy-joomp.png

Varnaan

Augur
The thing about larian I think is the worse is their area design philosophy.
I'm pretty sure BG2 had a similar progression where zones were locked out/you were unable to go back to certain areas in specific chapters.
Considering BG3 has a similar world map as the IE games when you reach an area transition point I think it's silly to assume like that based on OS.

Codex Year of the Donut
jumpy-joomp.png
RAW firebolt 1d10 damage with no more fire puddles everywhere but still catches flammable surfaces on fire
PsanabY.png

this is going to be fun to customize

Varnaan

Augur
jumpy-joomp.png
RAW firebolt 1d10 damage with no more fire puddles everywhere but still catches flammable surfaces on fire
PsanabY.png

this is going to be fun to customize

Don't forget to also get your feedback to Larian, to maybe make those change baseline.

GloomFrost

Arcane
I'm pretty sure BG2 had a similar progression where zones were locked out/you were unable to go back to certain areas in specific chapters.
Considering BG3 has a similar world map as the IE games when you reach an area transition point I think it's silly to assume like that based on OS.
Wrong. You could revisit absolutely all the unlocked locations in BG2 except for the Irenicus dungeon (first location) and Hell (the very last location).

I'd say Kingmaker's combat is almost unplayable garbage in RTwP, but gets redeemed by the TB mode. There are animation speed sliders.
>Kingmaker in normal (fast) mode = bad
>Kingmaker in slow mode = good

I don't get it, but whatever. I'd personally take a true turn-based CRPG over that pseudo turn-based, slow-motion trash in Kingmaker any day.

It's not hard to understand. These people can't see or get what's going on when it's "fast", but once it's slowed the way down, they're suddenly like,"AH!! Now I can finally beat the level 1 goblins!! This is sooo much better!"

Unrelated but in my group people refer top Baldurs Gate 3 only as Baldurs Gate soon the existence of the first two games will be completely forgotten :cool:
:shunthenonbeliever:
I've been calling it all along. bg3 will retroactively ruin the actual bg series. The forums I use to go on specifically for bg are now just larian cultists talking about bg3, even though they've made their own specific places to discuss bg3. All new people too, I don't recognize any of their names from the community before. larian cultists are an infestation that will try to push larian ideas and themselves anywhere they possibly can. In 2 years you will meet someone and if you start talking about video games and try to tell them one of your favorite series was bg, they will enthusiastically agree and try to talk to you about barrels and surfaces and sucking goblin toes and larian.

Nah, history will prove once again that this game is shit and will be forgotten along with so many other cash-grab games. We're dealing with a cat in heat right now, but wait a year or two, this will die down eventually.

Varnaan

Augur
Wrong. You could revisit absolutely all the unlocked locations in BG2 except for the Irenicus dungeon (first location) and Hell (the very last location).

Weren't you also locked out of Athkatla et all in the Spellhold chapter?

Swen: Ah the coronavirus has everybody staying at home and playing games all the time!! This is great!! James, release the game right now!!

"Junior" designer: But sir! The game's not ready for at least another yea----

Swen: I said NAAAAUUU!!! And bring me my evening lingerie, I'm cold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom