Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Murk

Arcane
This game turned into a stealth-simulator for me on my solo ranger play.

In the temple, I wasn't sure what is/isn't an aggro trigger, so I mostly just stealthed around and stacked boxes to reach heights I couldn't jump to from the ground directly.

The rafters provide a ton of movement range, but a few rooms you can't get back out via rafters without a jump spell or similar ability unless you stack crates and climb up on them.

Man, I love that. You could make a bizarre puzzle platformer out of this -- Larian did similar stuff in Divinity 2: Ego Draconis, hope they implement some of it here too.

I'm imagining a situation where-in I can get access to high ground that is otherwise inaccessible (other than magic or non-humanoid leaps from monsters/animals) and destroy the means by which I got up, trapping enemies in the area below here I can then safely blast them (or take out an explosive and throw it down for added fun.)

This is the kind of shit we'd get up to in our tabletop days of 3.0/3.5, to be able to replicate some of that in game would be tremendous. OS 2 had a bit of this, but so many characters had jump/teleport abilities, that the advantage was too temporary. This would make it far more meaningful, and would make setting up ambushes for enemies even more impactful.

Side note: I fucking hate 5e.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Someone datamined BG3 and found the following race tags in the game.

HUMAN, GITHYANKI, DRAGONBORN, HALFORC, TIEFLING, MEPHISTOPHELESTIEFLING, ASMODEUSTIEFLING, ZARIELTIEFLING, ELF, DROWELF, SELDARINEDROWELF, LOLTHDROWELF, HIGHELF, WOODELF, HALFELF, DROWHALFELF, HALFLING, LIGHTFOOTHALFLING, STOUTHALFLING, GNOME, ROCKGNOME, DEEPGNOME, FORESTGNOME, HILLDWARF, MOUNTAINDWARF, DUERGARDWARF, AARAKOCRA, KENKU, LIZARDFOLK, TABAXI, TORTLE, FIRBOLG, AASIMAR, GENASI, TRITON, WARFORGED, YUANTIPUREBLOOD . Surprisingly not Goblin or Gnoll although NPCs of both races are in the game

Some of those definitely won't be playable like Triton, why should Larian add them in a game where you can't swim. AArakocra: level 1 flying is OP as hell and probably game-breaking. Also writing unique dialogue options for every single one of them sounds insane. Though I would really like Yuan-Ti purebloods to be playable since I played one in PNP.

You can have crow at level one with fly power, I suspect Aakocra will work like the Crow does.

The one that really shocked me was WARFORGED, its an Eberron race, and the fact that the race tag is in suggests that we might be visiting Lantan in say act three or the Gondites in Baldur's Gate maybe learned how to build them.

The sole source on Warforged native to Toril, Dragon 371, is only suggestions. It says a warforged character is likely salvage from Lantan (which was destroyed in 4E but has since been retconned to have merely been transported to another world), from Gontal (which I'm not sure exists anymore in 5E since it was introduced in 4E's retardation) or a one-off creation of some wizard (likely from Thay).

Murk

Arcane
For those crawling through the files -- any hint at playable half/full orc, goblin, bugbear, other evil tragically misunderstood races?

Gyor

Savant
Someone datamined BG3 and found the following race tags in the game.

HUMAN, GITHYANKI, DRAGONBORN, HALFORC, TIEFLING, MEPHISTOPHELESTIEFLING, ASMODEUSTIEFLING, ZARIELTIEFLING, ELF, DROWELF, SELDARINEDROWELF, LOLTHDROWELF, HIGHELF, WOODELF, HALFELF, DROWHALFELF, HALFLING, LIGHTFOOTHALFLING, STOUTHALFLING, GNOME, ROCKGNOME, DEEPGNOME, FORESTGNOME, HILLDWARF, MOUNTAINDWARF, DUERGARDWARF, AARAKOCRA, KENKU, LIZARDFOLK, TABAXI, TORTLE, FIRBOLG, AASIMAR, GENASI, TRITON, WARFORGED, YUANTIPUREBLOOD . Surprisingly not Goblin or Gnoll although NPCs of both races are in the game

Some of those definitely won't be playable like Triton, why should Larian add them in a game where you can't swim. AArakocra: level 1 flying is OP as hell and probably game-breaking. Also writing unique dialogue options for every single one of them sounds insane. Though I would really like Yuan-Ti purebloods to be playable since I played one in PNP.

You can have crow at level one with fly power, I suspect Aakocra will work like the Crow does.

The one that really shocked me was WARFORGED, its an Eberron race, and the fact that the race tag is in suggests that we might be visiting Lantan in say act three or the Gondites in Baldur's Gate maybe learned how to build them.

The sole source on Warforged native to Toril, Dragon 371, is only suggestions. It says a warforged character is likely salvage from Lantan (which was destroyed in 4E but has since been retconned to have merely been transported to another world), from Gontal (which I'm not sure exists anymore in 5E since it was introduced in 4E's retardation) or a one-off creation of some wizard (likely from Thay).

A weird but awesome possible origin, Hell, Infernal Warmachine Warforged, powered by a single soul coin endlessly. Okay it's probably not that, but that would be awesome.

Gyor

Savant
I think Warforged we will likely visit Lantan, we really don't really know what happened to Lantan when it was MIA, it's entirely possible in this other world it was heavily at war and had to create warforged and other weapons to defend itself.

Alternate it's from Zakhara or Mulhorand both of which had steam punk technology, Mulhorand had pressure engines at one point and Zakhara had clockwork mages.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Do not forget that Warforged get many immuties. AND Warforged mages can self-Repair themselves. Aka self-healing wizard/sorc.

Gyor

Savant
Do not forget that Warforged get many immuties. AND Warforged mages can self-Repair themselves. Aka self-healing wizard/sorc.

Wrong edition, Warforged have construct like traits, but in 5e are NOT considered constructs, they are living humaniods.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

Wrong edition, Warforged have construct like traits, but in 5e are NOT considered constructs, they are living humaniods.

Immune to Sleep, Hold Person, Energy Drained, Nauseated, Exhausted, and Paralyzed effects.
Immune to ability score damage from Natural Poisons and Natural Diseases, but are vulnerable to those that affect wood or metal.
Warforged gain a +10 racial bonus to saving throws against Magical Poisons and Magical Diseases and do not fail saving throws against them on a roll of a natural 1 (this makes you immune to Magical Poisons and Magical Diseases with a DC of less than 11+your Fortitude save).

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Warforged would probably be the worst choice for a mind flayer to be born in. It's like being born into a suit of armor you can't remove without cutting through it with some metal device.

Then again, mind flayers even put tadpoles into beholders, so I guess they like to experiment. :M

a cut of domestic sheep prime

https://dungeonsdragons.fandom.com/wiki/Ceremorphosis#D.26D_5th_edition
Host selection
Mind flayers are highly selective when choosing hosts for ceremorphosis. The process is highly sensitive to factors such as height, weight, species and even brain chemistry, and only the healthiest captives are chosen.

Successful hosts are almost always mammalian humanoid species of approximately the height of an adult human. Common victims of ceremorphosis include humans, elves, githyanki, and grimlocks. The optimum physical range is between 130 and 270 pounds in weight, and between 5'4" and 6'2" in height.

An illithid selecting a creature too large or small, such as an ogre or halfling, will fail to develop at the correct rate. This inevitably results in the death of both the illithid tadpole and the host. Attempts to implant dwarves have failed.[4]

Experimental hosts are occasionally chosen, which almost always result in failure. Rare successes include the beholder,[5] the [6] and svirfneblin. Such unusual forms are sometimes called ceremorphs, or flayer-kin.[7]

Adult mind flayers themselves are physiologically incapable of being subject to ceremorphosis.
Even excluding attempts at implanting exotic species like warforged, apparently dwarves shouldn't be selectable as player characters either.

However, the adaptability of the tadpoles in BG3 could be explained by:

the netherese magic they've been modified with

I hope this game has a big meaty girthy beholder or ten
there's a spectator in early access, so it's guaranteed.

Is it

THE spectator from BG2, per chance?
Nope. Just a random one that's been sealed in an iron flask.

Bara

Arcane
I have a question.

If you get a guy in camp you can resurrect your fallen party members cant you just bash wormy out of a characters head then resurrect him?

It make's sense why you couldn't do it with Revivify since that spell doesn't restore lost body parts so splattered brain is no good but that camp guy spell has to be stronger than it since lore wise revivify has to be cast within a minute of death.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I hate to admit this because I'm sure many of you remember me throwing a shitfit for a few pages in the first thread, but I gave the early access a shot and I enjoyed what I played of it. I'm still mad that it's not what I wanted but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy what I've played so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom