Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
this dialogue style
My bet is they were going to fully voice a main character, hence the style. Not sure if they still are going to do that though. But given you are going to be able to choose from a range of voices it looks highly unlikely.

How THE FUCK they could ditch day/night cycle?! Fuck.
The argument they used boiled down to "it's a lot of work for very little pay off to do it properly. And if you are not going to do it properly it's better to not have one at all".
Which I personally find stupid on multiple levels, because both the premise and its implications are questionable at best.

For one, the idea that "getting nothing is better than getting little" is bullshit in itself. I'd take even the most basic-ass cycle, without any advanced scheduling (and with some of the NPCs standing there as signposts 24h-per-day and some other some just disappearing out of thin air at day/night) over having a world constantly frozen in an eternal noon.

Besides, having in the game the notion of proper passage of time and of a cycling between day and nights would spare them from having to come up with a lot of these other stupid and convoluted solutions they are working to, like creating separate scenarios for night events, having your camp as an instanced environment disconnected from the game world, having time as an abstract concept that triggers only when the game finds it convenient, etc.
And that's without going into how many possibilities this will preclude in terms of outdoor world encounters etc.

Also, on a more pragmatic level, imagine the disappointment of getting just the daily version of the city of Baldur's Gate, without ever a chance to roam its roads at night, except MAYBE outside of specifically scripted moments.

Codex Year of the Donut
The argument they used boiled down to "it's a lot of work for very little pay off to do it properly. And if you are not going to do it properly it's better to not have one at all".
Which I personally find stupid on multiple levels, because both the premise and its implications are questionable at best.

For one, the idea that "getting nothing is better than getting little" is bullshit in itself. I'd take even the most basic-ass cycle, without any advanced scheduling (and with some of the NPCs standing there as signposts 24h-per-day and some other some just disappearing out of thin air at day/night) over having a world constantly frozen in an eternal noon.

Besides, having in the game the notion of proper passage of time and of a cycling between day and nights would spare them from having to come up with a lot of these other stupid and convoluted solutions they are working to, like creating separate scenarios for night events, having your camp as an instanced environment disconnected from the game world, having time as an abstract concept that triggers only when the game finds it convenient, etc.
And that's without going into how many possibilities this will preclude in terms of outdoor world encounters etc.

Also, on a more pragmatic level, imagine the disappointment of getting just the daily version of the city of Baldur's Gate, without ever a chance to roam its roads at night, except MAYBE outside of specifically scripted moments.
time of day changes depending on the area
it's not full day/night cycle, but it's also not nothing.

kreight

Calling this game a "masterpiece" requires a certain degree of braindamage. A very large one in fact. Caused by excess soy consumption.

Harthwain

Magister
Wasn't the idea not "getting nothing is better than getting little", but "resources spent on something that has very little effect could be spent elsewhere, to larger effect"? Ultimately it's the question of what you want to do and what resources you have/can allocate to it. I like the night/day cycle myself, but I can understand the argument for not doing it, if there is little to be gained from it. Then again, in a game that has a vampire spawn as selectable character background/a companion it does feel like a huge missed opportunity for a unique gameplay potential. I know the magical tadpole removes any real penalties an iconic penalty from being a vampire spawn, but I really wish it didn't...

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
If they fail to ship x to y date they may get z sanctions according to punky R of contract for "free" money and seeing as stadia is fucking failure they need flagman project maybe? But it seems you got severe case of larinism.

Codex Year of the Donut
maybe you should go play pillars of eternity instead, I heard it has a great day/night system which is the most important aspect of an RPG

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

It's not "a lot of work" only because you need some kind of NPC schedule/different events to make it interesting, you also need to double your entire effort on the lightning system. They are probably spending thousands of man-hours to make halflings climb stairs without turning into Lovecraftian abominations, they probably wouldn't be able to make every scene work both during day and night without cutting at least half the content of the game.

Scripting is the easy part: character models, lightning, and graphics is were the money gets wasted and thrown down the toilet. Of 300 Larian employees, probably 294 are 3D artists, 5 are Swen's personal assistants with the thankless task of giving him everything he wants for his dumb little sketches, and only one lonely incel in Larian's basement is the guy who actually implements quests and NPCs' behaviors.

Then again, Larian seems preoccupied with animating this stuff:

C0cYV7ZA-Baldurs_Gate_3_Intimacy-831x480.jpg

so I guess we just have to accept we are not their (only) target audience.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
No Worm fight and Ship fight back to back was highlight of D:OS 2. Soyer wouldn’t have the balls to make his players earn the rest of the game like that.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, I'm aware, was merely replying to NJClaw bait. What's also important are the potential implications with their crazy compromise engaged vs non-engaged system if they would've keep it with cycles. Or lightning tuning during all the outdoor cut-scenes. There's tons of stuff but still - how glorious could it be if they would manage it, especially the big city? Is it really 'too little' to gain?

Actual time management could be a proper mechanic, given plot contrivances and the fact that some classes depending on long rests. Hell, simple and yet fitting co-op coordination like 'meeting at 9pm in the x inn'. Proper use of their own advanced stealth mechanic might make more sense. Finally the feeling of journey isn't the same when the world simply seem frozen in time.

EnigmA

Literate
Call me a lazy fuck but I am not going to go through all 259 pages to find the info and I can't find shit on google.

So can someone tell me the release date for the game (finished product) or at least an estimate. Thanks :)

kreight

Calling this game a "masterpiece" requires a certain degree of braindamage. A very large one in fact. Caused by excess soy consumption.
Well it ain't masterpiece but it's certainly most advanced game we received(ing) in years ( not on class building front, and verticality).
There's nothing "advanced" in this game. AD&D was more advanced. Here's a steam review and I totally agree with it. I wouldn't give it a 8/10 though.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198012383955/recommended/1086940/

It does everything that every other RPG has done in the past but not in any better or unique way; the tropes, the characters, the themes, even the start scenario (surprise, you're a prisoner) are all here. The tone is campy and easy with little in the way of tension or drama. Try as hard as you might, you won't find anything that make this game special. It does nothing that makes it stand out among today's RPGs or as a step forward from the past. On top of that is the infuriating RNG littering the place; a pointless dice roll on every occasion in the wild or in dialogue. Disco Elysium at least made failure fun.

It's a solid 8/10. I don't recommend it because it's not worth the price, and there was absolutely no need for it to be marketed as a sequel to Baldur's Gate

kreight

Oh that was a trigger. When enjoying your masterpiece alone don't forget to turn off the lights and use a lubricant.

Thonius

Arcane
Well it ain't masterpiece but it's certainly most advanced game we received(ing) in years ( not on class building front, and verticality).
There's nothing "advanced" in this game. AD&D was more advanced. Here's a steam review and I totally agree with it. I wouldn't give it a 8/10 though.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198012383955/recommended/1086940/

It does everything that every other RPG has done in the past but not in any better or unique way; the tropes, the characters, the themes, even the start scenario (surprise, you're a prisoner) are all here. The tone is campy and easy with little in the way of tension or drama. Try as hard as you might, you won't find anything that make this game special. It does nothing that makes it stand out among today's RPGs or as a step forward from the past. On top of that is the infuriating RNG littering the place; a pointless dice roll on every occasion in the wild or in dialogue. Disco Elysium at least made failure fun.

It's a solid 8/10. I don't recommend it because it's not worth the price, and there was absolutely no need for it to be marketed as a sequel to Baldur's Gate
Sure it is advanced. You can speak with dead, polymorphs that matter, reduce size etc, physic, race reactions, and such. Magic got its use out of combat. Some CnC right of the bat ( removing eye). Shit like that. Too bad it attached to many other parts I don't like. But it is an advanced and complex game. Boobies also.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Dragon Age didn't have a day/night cycle either, so... what's the problem? Did you really miss it in that game?

Codex Year of the Donut
Dragon Age didn't have a day/night cycle either, so... what's the problem? Did you really miss it in that game?
They're trying to find anything to detract from Swen's masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom