Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hell bovine

Arcane
Is a AI problem, not the fact that liches are high level enemies problem.

My point is simple. I wanna use powerful spells on high fantasy games just like I wanna use powerful warplanes in a game like war thunder.
Yes, it has been already stated several times that it's an ai problem. The point that you keep missing is that going high level doesn't fix that. It actually makes it worse, unless the developer makes the effort to improve enemy ai. Otherwise it is just cosmetics; you are playing pretend combat is epic because you can use flashy spells, and not because enemies can actually provide a challenge.

hell bovine

Arcane
Divinity Engine uses a utility theory based AI for choosing the optimal ability to use. Each action is simply defined by a set of parameters and ranked by some function of its utility in the current context plus other variables(difficulty, unit type/class, personality, ....), it's elegant and simple. It allows them to add abilities to enemies without having to write a single custom script for the enemy AI in most cases.
That's interesting to know. I was actually impressed by some of the encounters playing the first time. One weakness are long distances, I've noticed that even without sneaking sometimes the enemy fails to spot the attacker. They should make the enemies more aggressive on higher difficulties, imo.

My point is simple. I wanna use powerful spells on high fantasy games just like I wanna use powerful warplanes in a game like war thunder.
Yes, it has been already stated several times that it's an ai problem. The point that you keep missing is that going high level doesn't fix that. It actually makes it worse, unless the developer makes the effort to improve enemy ai. Otherwise it is just cosmetics; you are playing pretend combat is epic because you can use flashy spells, and not because enemies can actually provide a challenge.

The AI in BG2 was adequate. Just because it wasn't perfect doesn't mean it was horrendous, or cannot be good. Sword Coast Stratagems makes wizard combat exceptional due to the incredible AI. It fully makes use of every spell, potion, and ability to devastating effect. This also applies to non-mages, it's just less obvious.

Codex Year of the Donut

The AI in BG2 was adequate. Just because it wasn't perfect doesn't mean it was horrendous, or cannot be good. Sword Coast Stratagems makes wizard combat exceptional due to the incredible AI. It fully makes use of every spell, potion, and ability to devastating effect. This also applies to non-mages, it's just less obvious.
Default BG2 AI is terrible. Sure, it's still a step above PFK AI which basically doesn't exist, but that doesn't mean it's anywhere near adequate.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
High level D&D is basically just superhero/DBZ-tier stuff. Which is fine if that's what you want, but it's not what I want from my fantasy cRPG.

Not truth. DBZ has galaxies being blow up. MoTB doesn't have anything even close to it. Dr Strange can shape the universe. The closest thing that we have for it is Karsus. As for MoTB, there are no way to have a campaign like MotB on low level.

ere is a wizard in Pillars soloing one of the harder fights. Blood Mage in the 2nd game is arguably the strongest class, just look at the completions of the Ultimate Challenge for illustration of that. Sure, these Wizards are not quite the equivalent of gods (unlike casters in earlier editions of D&D), but they are still strong, have plenty of options and are (arguably, unless you want to roleplay as a god) fun to play.

Casters on earlier editions of D&D are nowhere near the level of Gods AVATARS. As for Pillars being balanced, Blood mage and Evoker are the unique powerful wizard specializations. On BG2, you can make a conjurer, illusionist, abjurer, necromancer, the unique underwhelming spec is divination due the nature of CRPG's. I honestly love persistent magical types, my favorite schools are necromancy and conjuration. Can I make a necromancer on Pillars?

Balance does not make a game boring, poor encounter design does. Encounters like the Ooze Megaboss show a distinct lack of creativity. You can have interesting boss fights within a balanced system.

Balance inevitably bring homogenization.

What is the most balanced D&D edition? 4e. No overpowered spells. You can have regular enemies surviving being disintegrated dozens of times.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Casters on earlier editions of D&D are nowhere near the level of Gods AVATARS.
BG2, HotU and MotB all end (optionally, along the evil route) with the player being more or less a god.
As for Pillars being balanced, Blood mage and Evoker are the unique powerful wizard specializations. On BG2, you can make a conjurer, illusionist, abjurer, necromancer, the unique underwhelming spec is divination due the nature of CRPG's.
Are you trying to say here that BG2 is more balanced then?
I honestly love persistent magical types, my favorite schools are necromancy and conjuration. Can I make a necromancer on Pillars?
Not every RPG needs to care about your corpse fetishes. Honestly if you want to play a Necromancer, you are playing the wrong genre of games, they are better represented in Turn Based Strategy games like Age of Wonders or Heroes of Might and Magic. The premise of a TBS is better suited towards the idea of a Necromancer as well, considering the focus of the game is much more high brow in terms of the power at play.
Balance inevitably bring homogenization.

What is the most balanced D&D edition? 4e. No overpowered spells. You can have regular enemies surviving being disintegrated dozens of times.
Not really, there is more than one way to achieve balance. The rock-paper-scissors approach for balancing games is all about maintaining a systemic level of balance whilst having imbalances between individual components. Chess is also an example of this, whilst the sides are evenly balanced (actually, arguably white has an advantage), the individual pieces are not balanced against each other. A queen is obviously better than a rook.

I wish the thread was closed until the next patch or whatever. There's critical amounts of autism in here.
Which is completely normal in a thread about a game that next to nobody cares about except for rusty_shackleford.

On that note, Larian has been moving all of the threads full of autism and criticism to the "off topic" and "gameplay suggestions" subforums on Steam.

:swen:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
BG2, HotU and MotB all end (optionally, along the evil route) with the player being more or less a god.

Not truth. BG2 only on end of Throne of Bhaal has the player chosing to become the Lord of Murder or not. Hotu ends with you fighting Mephistopheles, which is a powerful archdevil but not powerful as any greater deity. Bhaal's AVATAR on 2e is lv Thief 32 Fighter 27. And an avatar doesn't have a tiny fraction of the Gods true power.

Are you trying to say here that BG2 is more balanced then?

Not in overall but in mage specializations yes. The difference of casters to non casters mainly on chapter 4 and foreward is too huge. But among casters, the game is far more balanced. A necromancer, a illusionist, a evoker, are all good specializations in different ways. Divine casters, a druid and a cleric are very different. Both are amazing.

Not every RPG needs to care about your corpse fetishes. Honestly if you want to play a Necromancer, you are playing the wrong genre of games, they are better represented in Turn Based Strategy games like Age of Wonders or Heroes of Might and Magic. The premise of a TBS is better suited towards the idea of a Necromancer as well, considering the focus of the game is much more high brow in terms of the power at play.

And why RPG's should only have BLASTERS as casters???

As for the wrong genre, there are a lot of RPG's with great necromancy. And I din't mentioned only necromancy. Conjuration, able to cast spells like incendiary cloud, acid fog, cloudkill, chain lights, sirroco, polar midnight, tsunami(...). This types of persistent spells are cool. BTW, Pathfinder Wrath of The Righteous has Lich as the second most popular mythic class. And there, you can even revive bosses to serve as companion and become so godlike that you can give divine spells to the minions that you create.

But of course, for you this is silly cuz the Lich is doing more than just being another "evoker"...

The rock-paper-scissors approach for balancing games is all about maintaining a systemic level of balance whilst having imbalances between individual components. Chess is also an example of this, whilst the sides are evenly balanced (actually, arguably white has an advantage), the individual pieces are not balanced against each other. A queen is obviously better than a rook.

Wrong. Chess and RPG's are very different. Do you know how D&D was born? From the war gaming. "How we can adapt this rules to simulate a fantasy world?" One thing that I love about GURPS is that people don't play GURPS technomancer and start to complain "but my katana weeabo character has no chance against a sniper with .338 lapua magnum rifle or a mage capable of conjuring geysers, lets nerf and make .338 LM rifles have 10m range and so little damage that can't kill a house dog" or something like that. People who don't like high tech or high magical setting play on low tech/ and low/no magic settings. But on D&D, balancefags wanna everyone equally boring to play. They pick the most boring class to play(fighter) and wanna everyone to be so boring to play as a fighter.

On game design, there are trade offs. For eg, depth vs accessibility. Variety and immersion VS ballance. All masterpiece RPG's are unbalanced. On tabletop, or on CRPG's. I suggest this video.

If you look into the top RPG of all time here on codex, all of the top 20 are very unbalanced.

Bara

Arcane
High level DnD is fine but only for a capagin send offs. No matter the edition though I would really dream of going past level 20.

Which is why B/X DnD is the best with leveling ending at 14.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Not truth. BG2 only on end of Throne of Bhaal has the player chosing to become the Lord of Murder or not. Hotu ends with you fighting Mephistopheles, which is a powerful archdevil but not powerful as any greater deity. Bhaal's AVATAR on 2e is lv Thief 32 Fighter 27. And an avatar doesn't have a tiny fraction of the Gods true power.
BG 2 you end the game optionally as a god. MotB if you embrace the spirit eater curse, the epilogue has you killing several gods and then disappearing. HotU has you supplant Mephistopheles as the lord of one of the hells. In all 3 cases the campaigns are more or less set on a deific level of power with you walking among the gods.

Not in overall but in mage specializations yes. The difference of casters to non casters mainly on chapter 4 and foreward is too huge. But among casters, the game is far more balanced. A necromancer, a illusionist, a evoker, are all good specializations in different ways. Divine casters, a druid and a cleric are very different. Both are amazing.
Its very convenient how you care about balance when it comes to your precious casters but you don't want balance for pretty much any other class. You want the caster sub classes to all be balanced in comparison to each other, but you want them to be gods in comparison to every other class. Kind of hypocritical isn't it? To Victor here, balance is only a good thing when it benefits him.
And why RPG's should only have BLASTERS as casters???

As for the wrong genre, there are a lot of RPG's with great necromancy. And I din't mentioned only necromancy. Conjuration, able to cast spells like incendiary cloud, acid fog, cloudkill, chain lights, sirroco, polar midnight, tsunami(...). This types of persistent spells are cool. BTW, Pathfinder Wrath of The Righteous has Lich as the second most popular mythic class. And there, you can even revive bosses to serve as companion and become so godlike that you can give divine spells to the minions that you create.
Why should every RPG have Necromancers? They don't need to. In a low magic setting, Necromancy where you command entire armies is very misplaced. It fits much better into high fantasy settings, which can be pulled off much better in TBS games.
Wrong. Chess and RPG's are very different. Do you know how D&D was born? From the war gaming. "How we can adapt this rules to simulate a fantasy world?" One thing that I love about GURPS is that people don't play GURPS technomancer and start to complain "but my katana weeabo character has no chance against a sniper with .338 lapua magnum rifle or a mage capable of conjuring geysers, lets nerf and make .338 LM rifles have 10m range and so little damage that can't kill a house dog" or something like that. People who don't like high tech or high magical setting play on low tech/ and low/no magic settings. But on D&D, balancefags wanna everyone equally boring to play. They pick the most boring class to play(fighter) and wanna everyone to be so boring to play as a fighter.

On game design, there are trade offs. For eg, depth vs accessibility. Variety and immersion VS ballance. All masterpiece RPG's are unbalanced. On tabletop, or on CRPG's. I suggest this video.
As I said before. Victor is not a learning animal. But its ok, I know reading is hard for some people.
If you look into the top RPG of all time here on codex, all of the top 20 are very unbalanced.
Those games are up there despite their flaws, not because of them. Also, do you really want to make your argument, "because its popular with some group," because I can show you a lot of things which are popular, none of which are particularly good.

hell bovine

Arcane
Not in overall but in mage specializations yes. The difference of casters to non casters mainly on chapter 4 and foreward is too huge. But among casters, the game is far more balanced. A necromancer, a illusionist, a evoker, are all good specializations in different ways.
Lol, only if you actually don't know how to play a wizard in BG2. The power difference between e. g. an illusionist/evoker and a necromancer isn't small. Necromancer is one of the weakest mage specializations (I'd rate only the transmuter as worse), because they lose out on illusionary clone spells. And neither is on the same power level as the wild mage.

Edit: Back on the topic of unbalanced mages in BG3, now wizards can add druidic spells (on top of cleric ones) to their book. :lol:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3026953890954313695

Hotfix #8 Now Live!
d8524e2497aa83b3983eb167da98a9bc34e1ea32.png

Hello everyone,

We have just released another hotfix for you!

With this hotfix we’ve addressed some of the most common crashing issues, a few dialogue trigger points getting stuck, and an issue with inventory being empty after pickpocketing a party member. And please note if you are experiencing crashes on startup or getting an error message about .pak files when loading savegames, please verify your files.

To access the latest updates to the game, make sure you have opted out of all beta branches on Steam and have your game set to automatically update. This will bring through the most up to date version of the game for you.

284430a6fff10d423e36159cbc082661d1e9d0be.gif

Thank you for your reports on these issues. And thank you for all of your screenshots of you sitting around as wolves, badgers, cats and bears, we love to see them!

6db8c1bcf6468778808e1d2e49ae9ef75fc1266c.png

Thanks to Koakatora for this beauty.

Changelist:
  • Fixed certain dialogue trigger checkpoints not working or getting stuck. This was related to being in Wild Shape while triggering dialogues.
  • Fixed a possible crash when saving.
  • Fixed a crash related to a VRAM leak.
  • Fixed a crash related to PhysX materials.
  • Fixed a crash when viewing tooltips by hovering over combatants while someone joins or leaves the game.
  • Fixed a rare crash when entering character creation.
  • Fixed a rare crash when an object falls into a chasm.
  • Fixed a crash related to incorrect or corrupted game files.
  • Fixed a crash related to closing containers if too many were opened by pressing escape quickly.
  • Fixed empty inventory after pickpocketing a party member.

jackofshadows

Magister
Back on the topic of unbalanced mages in BG3, now wizards can add druidic spells (on top of cleric ones) to their book. :lol:
Yeah that's fucking insane I wonder whether this tiny little feature made it to release. I think it will as well as bonus actions for things like push etc.

They're pushing for maximum options possible which isn't plainly bad but it could potentially ruin experience for min-maxers by a lot... unless there will be proper mods for some counter-tuning.

Delterius

Arcane
Not really, there is more than one way to achieve balance. The rock-paper-scissors approach for balancing games is all about maintaining a systemic level of balance whilst having imbalances between individual components. Chess is also an example of this, whilst the sides are evenly balanced (actually, arguably white has an advantage), the individual pieces are not balanced against each other. A queen is obviously better than a rook.
Chess isn't about rooks roaming around the world, killing pawns, only to find out that they could have been another class, called Queen, that does everything everyone else does. Chess is balanced around the two units of player white's army and player black's army. And they are almost perfectly equal. Not my idea of a good balanced yet not streamlined RPG.

Codex Year of the Donut
RPGs are notoriously difficult to balance. The problem is that many modern RPGs(MMORPGs especially so) have decided to pull a sleight of hand rather than deal with balance issues by simply making all classes the same class with different colored spells.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The power difference between e. g. an illusionist/evoker and a necromancer isn't small. Necromancer is one of the weakest mage specializations (I'd rate only the transmuter as worse), because they lose out on illusionary clone spells.

Wrong. Necromancers are pretty powerful on BG2:SoA. Skull trap, Finger of Death, Horrid Wilting, all of this spells with penalty on enemy saves are even better. On BG2:EE, I've soloed the game as a necromancer. By casting a chain contigency with 2 lower resist + greater malison, the greater malison has 95% chance of sticking. 65% chance of Firkraag failing his save against the FoD if the malison is on, 45% if it isn't. Combined, that's a 64% chance of failing his save. Then it's 95% to beat the remaining magic resistance with the FoD, for an overall 60.8% chance of the two-round kill.

Which other mage specialization can do the same? 2 round kill Firkraag with over 60% of success rate?

OR even better, finger an demon lord like a succubus in 2 rounds with over 50%"of success chance?

wSBlumc.png

Its very convenient how you care about balance when it comes to your precious casters but you don't want balance for pretty much any other class.

Is not that I only care about casters. My point is that among casters, the game is more balanced than Pillars which is obsessed with balance.

Why should every RPG have Necromancers? They don't need to. In a low magic setting, Necromancy where you command entire armies is very misplaced. It fits much better into high fantasy settings, which can be pulled off much better in TBS games.

Conan is a low magic setting and there are necromancers there. MAinly followers of Louhi / The White hand.

Those games are up there despite their flaws, not because of them. Also, do you really want to make your argument, "because its popular with some group," because I can show you a lot of things which are popular, none of which are particularly good.

Then an honest question. Pathfinder 2e is far more balanced than Pathfinder 1e. Do you think that PF:WoTR would be better if was PF2e? Or D&D 4e is more balanced than all other editions. Do you think that BG2 remade into 4e would be good?

My point is that balance
As I said before. Victor is not a learning animal. But its ok, I know reading is hard for some people.

You are insulting me and ignoring all points that I've posted.

And balance is subjective. You see people complaining about bolt action rifles and shotguns on BF1, a WW1 game and this weapons aren't the most used weapons of the game...

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
Chess isn't about rooks roaming around the world, killing pawns, only to find out that they could have been another class, called Queen, that does everything everyone else does. Chess is balanced around the two units of player white's army and player black's army. And they are almost perfectly equal. Not my idea of a good balanced yet not streamlined RPG.
My point was that a system can be balanced without all of its individual components being homogeneous. If you want a less dumbed down example you can use many of the online multiplayer PVP games, like Dota for example. The design philosophy there is that hero A beats hero B, which beats hero C, which beats hero D, which beats hero E, which comes around again and beats hero A. In between there are soft counters, where a hero is advantaged against another but is not guaranteed a win. If you want an example which is a little bit closer to the RPG Genre, the Game Nox (with its 3 classes, Warrior, Conjurer and Wizard) has the 3 classes being reasonably well balanced against each other, to the point where there are still some people who play PVP matches of that game even in 2021 (don't ask me why they don't play something else, I have no idea).

Is not that I only care about casters. My point is that among casters, the game is more balanced than Pillars which is obsessed with balance.
The point is, you care about balance. But the only balance you want is the balance where casters are gods and everyone else are second class citizens. More specifically, you want necromancers to be good and will cry like a little child with its toys taken away if they aren't.
Then an honest question. Pathfinder 2e is far more balanced than Pathfinder 1e. Do you think that PF:WoTR would be better if was PF2e? Or D&D 4e is more balanced than all other editions. Do you think that BG2 remade into 4e would be good?
Just because a set of rules is balanced, doesn't mean its good. There is more than one way to fuck something up and both 4e and Pathfinder 2e manage to fuck things up in another way, by forgetting the spirit of what the game is about. Balance can improve a system when its done correctly and it can ruin a system when its done poorly. Let us take chess for example, would the game be more fun if Black was missing a Queen at the start of every game? Its making the game less balanced.
You are insulting me and ignoring all points that I've posted.
Because this discussion has been had with you, many times, by lots of different people and you never read what people write, or you selectively ignore it. But I guess I will just be the idiot that I am and respond to that point, where you didn't even properly address my point, with something which has been said by others, in other threads on this forum, multiple times before, because hey, maybe this time it will penetrate your head (there is no hope in hell is there). Seriously, seeing you regurgitate the same inane shit all over the place despite everything said by multiple people is tiring in the extreme.
The rock-paper-scissors approach for balancing games is all about maintaining a systemic level of balance whilst having imbalances between individual components. Chess is also an example of this, whilst the sides are evenly balanced (actually, arguably white has an advantage), the individual pieces are not balanced against each other. A queen is obviously better than a rook.

Wrong.
Number 1. Saying "Wrong" without addressing the point doesn't just magically make the point wrong and in this case, the point is not wrong. Go ask game designers how they balance games, most of them will tell you, this is how they go about it. They don't plan around making everything the same, because that is boring, they plan around making every class have another class which counters it and having every class be roughly countered (and countering) roughly the same number of classes. In such a system, obviously if you are playing, lets say for the sake of the example, the "mageslayer" and you run into a mage, you will have an easy win, but if you run into the, "mage slayer slayer," you won't have such a fun game.
Chess and RPG's are very different.
Number 2. Obviously, but that wasn't the point of the analogy. The point of the analogy was to dumb down the concept of asymmetrical balance to the point where maybe you would understand it.
Do you know how D&D was born? From the war gaming. "How we can adapt this rules to simulate a fantasy world?"
Do you know why spellcasters have spell slots and have to rest to regain them? Because it was an attempt to balance casters against fighters, because the designers understood at a fundamental level that balance was important. Unfortunately for them, it failed to achieve that balance. Also, D&D fails dismally at simulating a realistic fantasy world, its far too naive in terms of how societies are structured.
One thing that I love about GURPS is that people don't play GURPS technomancer and start to complain "but my katana weeabo character has no chance against a sniper with .338 lapua magnum rifle or a mage capable of conjuring geysers, lets nerf and make .338 LM rifles have 10m range and so little damage that can't kill a house dog" or something like that. People who don't like high tech or high magical setting play on low tech/ and low/no magic settings. But on D&D, balancefags wanna everyone equally boring to play. They pick the most boring class to play(fighter) and wanna everyone to be so boring to play as a fighter.
There is more than one way to balance something, which seems to be something which you just can't understand. In that same example, you could give the katana character a whole bunch of magic items to even the fight, or give the gun a long reload time, or make it inaccurate or [...] a whole host of realistic concessions that do not involve making the gun a poor weapon. Balance doesn't have to mean, "lets homogenize everything."
On game design, there are trade offs. For eg, depth vs accessibility. Variety and immersion VS ballance. All masterpiece RPG's are unbalanced.
Variety and Immersion are not necessarily paired off against balance, depending on how your system is set up. For example, if you have a high magic setting where everyone can use magic, then you build classes where all classes are pseudo casters, you can have a system which is both balanced and immersive. The systems in Pillars of Eternity actually had the potential to make a decent game out of them, too bad the games that were made with the systems didn't reflect the quality of the tools.
And balance is subjective. You see people complaining about bolt action rifles and shotguns on BF1, a WW1 game and this weapons aren't the most used weapons of the game...
Balance is only subjective as far as the skill of the player is concerned. For example, a class might be really powerful, but require fast reaction time to play. For anyone who has slow reaction time, the class will perform poorly. Fortunately, a game developer doesn't have to look at whiny players posts online to determine how classes are performing and can just look at metrics directly received from games played.

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
My point was that a system can be balanced without all of its individual components being homogeneous. If you want a less dumbed down example you can use many of the online multiplayer PVP games, like Dota for example.
Absolutely true. My issue was just Chess.
I admit it was never a great example, but I was hoping it was an example that at least Victor could understand. I guess I aimed too high.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
e. But the only balance you want is the balance where casters are gods and everyone else are second class citizens. More specifically, you want necromancers to be good and will cry like a little child with its toys taken away if they aren't.

Strawman. I said many times that fighters being extremely boring are a problem. But the solution is to make then better, give cool combat manuvers to then, allow then to have auras and other cool stuff on higher level. Not to make casters boring as martial classes. Balancefags are like socialists who wanna everyone eqqually in the misery.

As for necromancy, again. What part of necromancy and conjuration being my favorite schools you din't understood?

And my problem with pillars is that wizards are only "evokers". Even blood mages uses mostly evokation. I love more persistent effects.

And I also enjoy games which makes being a caster harder. Examples? Gothic 1/2 (returning mod included) and DDO. On DDO, the martial classes with self healing are considered "very good" in solo friendlyness. While DC wizards are considered "experts only". Warlock has cool conjuration spells like Black Tentacles which are stronger than even the P&P version. I prefer to play DDO over Pillars any day and I hate cooldowns. Exactly cuz you have interesting skills on DDO. Mages are more specialized than on P&P but that is it. They aren't worthless. In the case of Gothic 1, a fighter can max his STR/One hand with less the LP required for a mage to learn all magical circles but makes sense it on Gothic 1 universe. Gothic is not a high magic setting and in a colony where most powerful mages are stuck inside, only one guy mastered all magical circles. Consistency of mechanics and lore is what makes magic interesting. Doesn't matter if is a low magical setting or a high magical setting.

Cipher has the most interesting powers on Pillars IMHO. And On Pillars 1, I found then extremely better than any other class. But Wizards, are just a lackluster version of D&D Wizard, with extremely lackluster spells.

Balance can improve a system when its done correctly and it can ruin a system when its done poorly. Let us take chess for example, would the game be more fun if Black was missing a Queen at the start of every game? Its making the game less balanced.

Chess is not a RPG. Is a strategy game.

Lets heavily nerf fallout new vegas and nerf anti materiel rifles, so a guy with a Katana will not be in a disadvantage against a anti materiel user with armor piercing ammo. Both weapons should be equally effective in dealing with armored robots at 200m because balance. Doesn't matter if having a AMR unable to hit a target at few meter away would ruin the "fantasy" /sarcasm

u, many times, by lots of different people and you never read what people write, or you selectively ignore it. But I guess I will just be the idiot that I am and respond to that point, where you didn't even properly address my point, with something which has been said by others, in other threads on this forum, multiple times before, because hey, maybe this time it will penetrate your head (there is no hope in hell is there). Seriously, seeing you regurgitate the same inane shit all over the place despite everything said by multiple people is tiring in the extreme.

You are accusing me of ignoring you but you are ignoring my points. But you can easily debunk me posting a single example of ultra balance focused RPG game which doesn't ended on a homogenized boredom.

the point is not wrong. Go ask game designers how they balance games, most of them will tell you, this is how they go about it. They don't plan around making everything the same, because that is boring, they plan around making every class have another class which counters it

Again. Name ONE, just ONE game where it happens. Where the devs are extremely focused on balance and din't produced a boring game.

Look to the mmo genre. On 90s, we had a lot of amazing games. Meridian 59, Dark Sun Online : Crimson Sands, Ultima Online(...) and now, we have ultra homogenized "dps/healer/tank" games that are all about cooldown managing and gear farming with zero character individuality. Why? MMOs stopped worrying about mechanics and lore consistency and started to become too obsessed with balance. It is happening in a smaller speed with single player RPG's and I love that we can get games like Pathfinder Kingmaker to slow down and revert the decline from immersive fictional world to boring chores.

&D fails dismally at simulating a realistic fantasy world, its far too naive in terms of how societies are structured.

D&D has a lot of settings on it. What society we are talking about? The dark sun sorcerer kings societies? The waterdeep society? The Thay?

In that same example, you could give the katana character a whole bunch of magic items to even the fight, or give the gun a long reload time, or make it inaccurate or [...] a whole host of realistic concessions that do not involve making the gun a poor weapon. Balance doesn't have to mean,

But you can't have a .338 lapua magnum rifle consistent with how such rifle operates and a balanced rifle... GURPS is the most "simulationist" TT game ever.

--------------------

TL;DR - The problem with fighters is that they are too boring. Making every class equally boring to play is not a solution.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Strawman. I said many times that fighters being extremely boring are a problem. But the solution is to make then better, give cool combat manuvers to then, allow then to have auras and other cool stuff on higher level. Not to make casters boring as martial classes. Balancefags are like socialists who wanna everyone eqqually in the misery.

TL;DR - The problem with fighters is that they are too boring. Making every class equally boring to play is not a solution.
Sounds like you are proposing to, guess what, balance them. At the same time, sometimes you do have no option but to remove something from play. Many of the high level wizard spells in 2e fall into this category. If you add enough skills to a fighter to make it compete with a caster who has its high level spells, your fighter is no longer a fighter and has become something which no longer resembles the identity of the class. In other words, either you remove the fighter and replace it with something else which can be considered equal to the mage, or you have to lower the power of the mage in order for it to be compatible with the system.
As for necromancy, again. What part of necromancy and conjuration being my favorite schools you din't understood?
Maybe whine more about the conjuration side of things than the necromancer for once, it would be a change of pace from your usual cry posts.
And my problem with pillars is that wizards are only "evokers". Even blood mages uses mostly evokation. I love more persistent effects.
There are plenty of good, non evocation spells in Pillars for a Spellcaster. In my last solo of Deadfire for example, I played a Swordmage and relied on.

Enchanting - 11 Spells

Fleet Feet
Eldritch Aim
Wizard's Double
Spirit Shield
Infuse with Vital Essence
Merciless Gaze
Deleterious Alacrity of Motion
Expose Vulnerabilities
Llengrath's Displaced Image
Llengrath's Safeguard
Arcane Reflection
Conjuration - 7 Spells
Arcane Veil
Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff
Citzal's Spirit Lance
Citzal's Martial Power
Cloak of Death
Wall of Draining
Minoletta's Piercing Sigil
Transmutation - 3
Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon
Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring
Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar
Illusion - 2
Wall of Many Colours
Kalakoth's Freezing Rake
I used a total of 2 Evocation spells. I could have completely ditched the Evocation school and it would barely have changed the playthrough. In fact, if I consider how I like to play, I think Evocation would be the first school I would ditch entirely. Sure, I am not the best player there is and I have not completed the Ultimate Challenge, but I think I understand the game systems well enough to be able to comment on the use cases of its various spells.
unknown.png

My last run was PotD with expert mode but not iron man and those 5 challenges enabled, not time gated, but not strictly the easiest ones either.
So stating that the only good casters are Evocation casters is completely false.
Chess is not a RPG. Is a strategy game.

You are accusing me of ignoring you but you are ignoring my points. But you can easily debunk me posting a single example of ultra balance focused RPG game which doesn't ended on a homogenized boredom.
Again. Name ONE, just ONE game where it happens. Where the devs are extremely focused on balance and din't produced a boring game.
Nox is a Hack and Slash "RPG" which I named in an example above (it was likely originally intended to be a pvp game and got turned into an RPG at the last minute) which has pretty well balanced classes. If you care to try it, you can grab it here.
D&D has a lot of settings on it. What society we are talking about? The dark sun sorcerer kings societies? The waterdeep society? The Thay?
Faerun specifically.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom