Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Would you mind sharing your definition of roleplaying opportunities please?
I would consider a roleplaying opportunity a point in time during the game where you can act out a specific part of your character, such as a deeply held belief or your opinion on a specific matter/person or your alignment, and the game responds to it (usually just through dialogue, but sometimes in a more wide reaching manner a.k.a. choice and consequence.)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Would you mind sharing your definition of roleplaying opportunities please?
I would consider a roleplaying opportunity a point in time during the game where you can act out a specific part of your character, such as a deeply held belief or your opinion on a specific matter/person or your alignment, and the game responds to it (usually just through dialogue, but sometimes in a more wide reaching manner a.k.a. choice and consequence.)
Do you not consider the way you approach combat an aspect of roleplaying opportunities?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Do you not consider the way you approach combat an aspect of roleplaying opportunities?
That is a roleplaying opportunity too, although me (and I assume most other people,) simply do what they believe is optimal at any given moment. Usually more roleplaying is found in the class and abilities you choose, but something like choosing to use spells that fit your character or choosing to attack a target that your character hates or approaching battle in a specific way fitting your characters idea of how to fight is roleplaying.

The main issue with the "playable Origin" system is that all this "extra content" comes at expenses of other, more valuable content.

I never once in my life played through Baldur's Gate 2 and I thought "Man, if only I could experience this game as Jan Jansen".
Companions are cool to experience as... well, companions. Not as a stand-ins for your main character, especially since playing as them implicitly means to OVERWRITE their personality and reactions with your hand-picked ones.

And given the option I would gladly take "way more companions" over "half of them, but they are all written from two points of view to be playable", which is without questions a very expensive feat to achieve.
But that's just one example over many. The laundry list of features I would prioritize in terms of budget over "everyone is also written as a potential main character" could go on for a while.
Better reactivity for custom MC, better NPC scheduling, day/night cycle, a more well-developed resting system, etc, etc.

Reinhardt

Arcane
btw any new companions? for now you still can't even have full party of not-nigger, not-fag people. there is goth girl and... that's all.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
The main issue with the "playable Origin" system is that all this "extra content" comes at expenses of other, more valuable content.

I never once in my life played through Baldur's Gate 2 and I thought "Man, if only I could experience this game as Jan Jansen".
Companions are cool to experience as... well, companions. Not as a stand-ins for your main character, especially since playing as them implicitly means to OVERWRITE their personality and reactions with your hand-picked ones.

And given the option I would gladly take "way more companions" over "half of them, but they are all written from two points of view to be playable", which is without questions a very expensive feat to achieve.
But that's just one example over many. The laundry list of features I would prioritize in terms of budget over "everyone is also written as a potential main character" could go on for a while.
Better reactivity for custom MC, better NPC scheduling, day/night cycle, a more well-developed resting system, etc, etc.
Waiting eagerly for the moment you decide to make an RPG.

Harthwain

Magister
Fixed for you. The problem is not less content. Is having to play as an diversity hire Wyll to experience all WLK content.
Maybe I misremember something, but I could swear it was possible to customize your character while stealing NPCs' background on top of that.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
BG3 companions :
  • Faggiest of fags
  • Diversity hire noble
  • Fanfic-tier Mystra lover, artifact owner epic lv 1 wizard
  • Token exotic race fighter
  • Goth chick

Last edited:

Aphex81

Scholar
No, I wouldn’t. Funny thing is the NPCs even in their current state (i.e. being a party members) exhibit far more reactivity with the events unfolding than the player could ever dream of. They all have a unique story or trait, which the “main character” is lacking. Fleshing out the NPCs a-la Witcher, focusing the storytelling on them, while leaving the charname a generic nobody just isn’t what I would call a good RPG.
Hope that’ll change.
So do you want the main character to be more predefined or the companions to be less unique?
Please specify which, you only get to pick one.
I want the main character to be, you know, the main character. Easy as that.
You want the custom character to be custom and also be predefined with its own unique reactivity on the level of a completely predefined character.

I fucking hate Lisa, what a smug little cunt.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
so elminster

Elminster is not a lv 1 character. I have nothing against power fantasy characters, in a appropriated campaign. Playing as an Elminster clone in nwn: hordes of the underdark is fine. But the same character in Dark Sun : Shattered Lands, Temple of Elemental evil and so on would be ridiculous.

FriendlyMerchant

Elminster is not a lv 1 character
fanfic tier
It's even worse. It's pretty much just the D&D marvel comic book universe.
so what you're saying is that greenwood is both a pervert and a visionary
Greenwood is a pervert. However, the use of Forgotten realms as the D&D comic book universe is just a copy of what marvel already did and is a much later development more associated with Wizards of the Coast. Gotta have that MTG style for D&D planes so they can keep reusing Minsc.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BG3 companions :
  • Faggiest of fags
  • Diversity hire noble
  • Goth chick
Bg2 companions.
Airhead Elf who's upset about wings despite being in a setting where the right artifact can probably let her fly anyway.
Hippy Elf
Negro Elf
Rich kid wizard, so practically elf.
Thieving wizard, also elf, practically
Manlet elf with dreadlocks
Dwarf who's good because not elf.
Paladin who's a nice guy and therefore not elf.
Cleric who's an ass unless he gets better, so borderline elf.
Sneaky nigger, but not elf.
Red wizard, counts as elf.
Russian nutcase who's got a squirrel in his pants, I dunno.
Yet another hippy elf, but probably a dude for variety's sake.
A dandy elf which is just double elf, really.
One human fighter who single handedly caused an iron shortage which is more than what all these assorted elves could collectively accomplish.

And It's BG3 you have a problem with.

FriendlyMerchant

BG3 companions :
  • Faggiest of fags
  • Diversity hire noble
  • Goth chick
Bg2 companions.
Airhead Elf who's upset about wings despite being in a setting where the right artifact can probably let her fly anyway.
Hippy Elf
Negro Elf
One human fighter who single handedly caused an iron shortage which is more than what all these assorted elves could collectively accomplish.

You still haven't mentioned Jan Jansen, who's not an Elf and the most powerful companion in the game.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
martin-sobr-sarevok2.jpg

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
BG3 companions :
  • Faggiest of fags
  • Diversity hire noble
  • Goth chick
Bg2 companions.
Hippy Elf
Negro Elf

You still haven't mentioned Jan Jansen, who's not an Elf and the most powerful companion in the game.
I knew I was missing one borderline elf and a couple others.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I blame the Forgotten Realms setting for its extreme fixation on elves and their typical bullshit. You had Myth Drannor,which was an elven paradise of sorts...and then it went to shit. They keep telling us they are oh so fucking special and gifted,us humans won't ever be able to understand them,it's just ugh...
In Greyhawk(my favorite setting) they are not as prominent and more isolationist,living in cloistered communities instead of sticking their noses in other people's business,like those Harper faggots in Forgotten Realms.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I blame the Forgotten Realms setting for its extreme fixation on elves

I blame LoTR. Seriously, elves in LoTR are superhumans, elves in D&D are a different species. And there is no extreme fixation on elves in Forgotten realms. The most iconic places of FR are humancentric. Thay? Neverwinter? Luskan? Kara-Tur? All human centric.

In Mystara? Glantri and Alphatia, the most powerful countries are very human centric. Dark Sun? Every single sorcerer king is human and every noble serving under him too. Ravenloft/Domains of Dread? Most Dark Lords are ""humans""(before being cursed by the dark powers).

FriendlyMerchant

BG3 companions :

• Goth chick
Based on Rusty and Swen's claims, you'd think there would be a wealth of rule34 content for these two. How a quick search on rule34 reveals that there are relatively few entries.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Is that really the case?
I mean Sarevok did most of the heavy lifting for the Iron Throne by killing those who needed to be killed,manipulating and intimidating people and generally being one scary motherfucker. Sure,Rieltar raised him and shaped him,but Sarevok was the muscle and the Iron Throne rose to their position because of his contribution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom