Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vatnik Wumao

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

a cut of domestic sheep prime

So I found out how to open the chest in the owlbear cave.

Jump across the water and search behind the statue. If you or a party member can pass a perception roll, you'll find a note with a prayer written on it. Read it in front of the chest.

Shadowheart will object when you try to open it.

purupuru

Learned
I never thought codex of all places would suggest character creation is bad and we all should just play Shepard.
We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails.
Also why does Larian talk about tieflings like they are some flashy special snowflake? Feel like I'm missing something here.

Also why does Larian talk about tieflings like they are some flashy special snowflake? Feel like I'm missing something here.
Uh, they don't? They just mean they gave a ton of different eye colors. And not just demon eyes, but elf eyes, pixie skin - tons of options.

Fake news. I wish they treated them specially. They're a dime a dozen.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Like it has been said before, Tieflings actually *are* dime-a-dozen in current Forgotten Realms canon. Aasimar aren't as far as I'm aware, so they might get special attention, who knows. I kind of don't like either race (along with the genasi), they are a bit too snowflake-y for me.

Vatnik Wumao
Like it has been said before, Tieflings actually *are* dime-a-dozen in current Forgotten Realms canon. Aasimar aren't as far as I'm aware, so they might get special attention, who knows. I kind of don't like either race (along with the genasi), they are a bit too snowflake-y for me.
I'm just a human, dwarf and (half-)orc sort of guy. Nothing too flashy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It feels like all character concepts which employ one of these races *have* to revolve around the race in some capacity, and I have never managed to come up with a satisfactory backstory for one of them. The only time I've played them was in NWN2 as a Tiefling Cleric when I was a teenager. I kind of thought of it as a Tiefling who embraces his heritage and worships his Ur-father. It still revolves around his race, though, so I kind of moved on from them after that.

purupuru

Learned
Uh, they don't? They just mean they gave a ton of different eye colors. And not just demon eyes, but elf eyes, pixie skin - tons of options.
Yeah, I know. I just find it funny that when they want to talk about their "outrageous" customization options, they end up describing a run-of-the-mill tiefling.

I'm just a human, dwarf and (half-)orc sort of guy. Nothing too flashy.

Since apparently mixed races are the thing in new forgotten realms, what about an uber bastard who is a mutt of literally every race?

It’d be idiotic, but since the setting doesn’t even recognize how rare tieflings should be (unless cambion are raping entire towns, as I said), why not?

Vatnik Wumao
It feels like all character concepts which employ one of these races *have* to revolve around the race in some capacity
Well, unless you decide on a particular race solely out of mechanical considerations (e.g. racial restrictions on stats), then the racial identity of the PC should inform his character to some degree or another. The latter can also boil down solely to a matter of aesthetics, without necessarily carrying a cultural dimension (e.g. you make a heavy armored melee class dwarf because it fits aesthetically, but you don't infer personality traits or cultural biases to the PC due to the fact that he is a dwarf).

It feels like all character concepts which employ one of these races *have* to revolve around the race in some capacity, and I have never managed to come up with a satisfactory backstory for one of them.
Backstory, your mother was VIOLENTLY RAPED BY AN ORC.

You are a half orc.

Enjoy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Well, unless you decide on a particular race solely out of mechanical considerations (e.g. racial restrictions on stats), then the racial identity of the PC should inform his character to some degree or another. The latter can also boil down solely to a matter of aesthetics, without necessarily carrying a cultural dimension (e.g. you make a heavy armored melee class dwarf because it fits aesthetically, but you don't infer personality traits or cultural biases to the PC due to the fact that he is a dwarf).
Yeah, sure, but playing a dwarf or a halfling doesn't necessarily mean their class choice, backstory, the attitude of others towards them, etc. have to be intrinsically tied to the race. You can be a halfling Druid without much fanfare, but Tiefling Druid? Yeah, you need some explaining to do. Quick idea to prove my point - you were shunned out of society because you are a tiefling, so you developed a bond with nature while trying to survive in the woods. See, it's still about the race.

You are a half orc.

Enjoy.
Well, yes, that's what I mean. It's easy for most races, not so much for the special snowflake-y ones.

Vatnik Wumao
Yeah, sure, but playing a dwarf or a halfling doesn't necessarily mean their class choice, backstory, the attitude of others towards them, etc. have to be intrinsically tied to the race. You can be a halfling Druid without much fanfare, but Tiefling Druid? Yeah, you need some explaining to do.
True, but I'd say that these race & class combinations wouldn't fit aesthetically ergo the need for an in-lore justification.

Robber Baron

Savant

You are a half orc.

Enjoy.

4i0u1m.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom