Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shrimp

Arbiter

I was clinging on to a sliver of hope that the companion respeccing would be limited to just re-allocating stats, but it seems they just straight up let you swap their class as well. This coupled with the questionable decisions they've made in regards to multiclassing really makes it seem like they just want everyone to be a hybrid spellblade like in DOS. What a shame honestly

Rhobar121

Scholar
I don't understand why full respect for the characters should be a problem, nobody is forcing you to.
If you're so retarded that you can't stop yourself, it's entirely your fault. If someone wants to make Gale barbarian, that's their business.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
the fuck is that tadpole power seems ridiculously strong for paladin or whatever
but balanced combat is not something that is probably not going to happen every character should have access to everything without penalties

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I wish we could return to the glory days of AD&D 2nd endition, when mulitclassing was rarely a good idea, Elves were still Elves, only Humans could be Paladins and all Paladins looked like dorks in the artwork.
There is a lot of decline in the name of 'choice' over the editions. Racial ASI not being locked, no minimum stats for multiclassing, all races can be all classes etc.

Yeah, fuck the modern concept of choice. "Choice" should be about having your pick among meaningful alternatives and and not "I want to be whatever I choose in whatever way I choose to". Everything DnD has become flavourless slop. I like 5E in terms of game mechanics but everything else is pretty much fucking decline.

There is so much I dislike about modern DnD (by which I mean 3E and newer). The fucking multiclassing. "Dipping" levels into classes to munchkin some overpowered abomination. The all races can be everything shit. Race is basically a "skin" now.

There is other stuff.

Why the fuck are Dragonborn a thing? They were ramrodded into the game with 4E, never made any sense and they even had to come up with stupid shit to insert them into existing campaign settings.

Why are Drow a playable race? I mean, I now why - because there a million of tards who want to rolepay Drizzt Do'Urden. I just don't see how having such a race as a playable standard race next to High Elves and Humans is a good idea.

Or Half-Orcs? Where did those fuckers come from? Who mates with Orcs? Id' rather fuck a bear, tbh. At least bears don't reek of vodka. Or are Half-Orcs all the offspring of rape victims?
Yeah, I hate dipping. It looks wrong to me. The Owlcat Pathfinder games seem to encourage it and it looks really jank.
And yeah, the modern idea of choice in CRPGs is an abomination. If you can just be everything you want to be you don't actually have a choice, as choice implies a sacrifice, a trade-off. If there's no trade-off or sacrifice, then you don't actually have a choice, just options.

I blame Skyrim.

Saravan

Savant
Welp, glad I didn't buy EA. Really strange how they spent the last several years looking like they are following DnD 5:e to constrain Swen's autism then they throw in a bunch of this last-minute retardations. Or maybe they are sneaking in the playtest version of 5.5e? I don't know, I'm sure it's a combination of Swen's inability to not DOS:ify the shit out of any game (kind of like Sawyer's balance obsession) and WotC throwing in woke curveballs.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Multiclass changes do look kind of weird, if I understood them correctly. Trading off raw power for flexibility is the whole point of it, but now it seems that you can just become gigawizard/sorcerer/cleric with level 6 spells for 3 classes all at once (even if for just one- it’s too strong)? Unless I missed some drawback they mentioned?

Rhobar121

Scholar
Multiclass changes do look kind of weird, if I understood them correctly. Trading off raw power for flexibility is the whole point of it, but now it seems that you can just become gigawizard/sorcerer/cleric with level 6 spells for 3 classes all at once (even if for just one- it’s too strong)? Unless I missed some drawback they mentioned?
It was so weirdly described that I have no fucking idea if that's what they meant.
This is a bit of a strange change.

mastroego

Arcane
Some of us had this game gifted to them after boasting about their new PC and feel therefore obliged to play it
There's a lesson here I suppose
What the fuck? I've boasted about my PC and I never got a free copy
well I realize how it sounds
but, tabletop friends sharing things and all that
most of them are fans, so

well now I must play. I hope the good will be enough and that I'll be able to ignore the rest...

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
You thought humans were shit?
not anymore its metaslave choice
f3ZrqXA.png

because humans are obviously stronger than dragons and orcs

I was clinging on to a sliver of hope that the companion respeccing would be limited to just re-allocating stats, but it seems they just straight up let you swap their class as well. This coupled with the questionable decisions they've made in regards to multiclassing really makes it seem like they just want everyone to be a hybrid spellblade like in DOS. What a shame honestly
I've been alternately criticizing and praising this game for almost three years at this point, but admittedly this last injection of details is the one that broke the camel's back, as saying goes.
I'm now definitely on board with "Larian gameplay designers are inept and they couldn't come up with a well-thought and balanced idea if their lives depended on it".

Almost every single bit of "homebrew" they injected in the game so far has been something bordering retardation and most of the "gameplay improvements" they implemented in 3 years of EA consisted in... Reverting some of their worst decisions and sticking closer to the source material, which is not really something they can take much credit for.

Deadass

Savant
f3ZrqXA.png

so they got polearm proficiency and increased carry weight as racial bonuses? lol they were already trash in 5e what is cuckswen thinking

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So, what is everyone rolling for class?

I'm a gish-kindda guy, so Hexblade would be the obvious choice. But since long resting seems free and they're not implementing Hexblade, I dunno, really. I might do a bard instead, they can be cool gishes in 5E and I never play them.
at the very least extra attack was confirmed.

That has nothing to do with hexblade, that's native to Pact of the Blade. I'm pretty sure the "hexblade elements" was just talking about the archetype (which Pact of the Blade is all about). Not about any features of the hexblade.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The community seems to be supportive of every Larian decision no matter what they do. It's extremely irritating to see them rationalize everything as if Larian is incapable of making dumbfuck decisions, like this one on the tadpole powers obviously is.
That's just the subreddit. Which is highly a self-selected group who "bullied" and downvoted away any sort of critical voice.
They are so hopelessly fanboyish and passive-aggressive toward any criticsm that even most of the people on Larian's official forum (the one group you'd think is made out just of the most biased pro-Larian fans) mock them constantly.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

I'm a gish-kindda guy, so Hexblade would be the obvious choice. But since long resting seems free and they're not implementing Hexblade, I dunno, really. I might do a bard instead, they can be cool gishes in 5E and I never play them.
I posted an interview a couple of pages back of an Italian interview, which implied that the Pact of the Blade is being made into Hexblade-lite.

Found this on reddit:
looks-like-pact-of-the-blade-is-the-new-version-v0-2uunow8x3jbb1.png

Saravan

Savant
f3ZrqXA.png

so they got polearm proficiency and increased carry weight as racial bonuses? lol they were already trash in 5e what is cuckswen thinking
Yeah, I don't really see how humans are anything but objectively the worst race in BG3? If we had variant human with extra feat that would be another story, but all other races can pick any combination of +2/+1 based on class alone.

The +2 +1 is shared by all races, humans included.
The problem is that most other races come with better secondary perks.
Humans get Polearm, Light Armor and increased carry weight, apparently.
The first two aren't even exactly terrible... If you are not playing a class that offers these already.

Rhobar121

Scholar

I posted an interview a couple of pages back of an Italian interview, which implied that the Pact of the Blade is being made into Hexblade-lite.
To be honest, I would take this interview with a grain of salt. It's possible something went wrong with the translation, it wouldn't be the first time.

To be honest, I would take this interview with a grain of salt. It's possible something went wrong with the translation, it wouldn't be the first time.
I read the full thing in Italian and if there's something wrong with the translation it happened before the article was even published, because what they say is extremely clear.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat..._tadbole_power_progression_makes_no_sense_rp/

The community seems to be supportive of every Larian decision no matter what they do. It's extremely irritating to see them rationalize everything as if Larian is incapable of making dumbfuck decisions, like this one on the tadpole powers obviously is.
On the other hand, Codex is the opposite, so the balance of the force has not been disturbed
I think codex is pretty fair in its analysis because there is no codex bandwagon. You can clearly see in this thread that for as many people only shitting on everything larian does, there's also a bunch of people clearly excited about the game.

Myself l, despite a lot of misgivings about some of the development decisions, I am still excited about playing a high production value AAA crpg.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I've been alternately criticizing and praising this game for almost three years at this point, but admittedly this last injection of details is the one that broke the camel's back, as saying goes.
I'm now definitely on board with "Larian gameplay designers are inept and they couldn't come up with a well-thought and balanced idea if their lives depended on it".

Almost every single bit of "homebrew" they injected in the game so far has been something bordering retardation and most of the "gameplay improvements" they implemented in 3 years of EA consisted in... Reverting some of their worst decisions and sticking closer to the source material, which is not really something they can take much credit for.
I've always liked Larian's quest design and their games' general freeform way of letting you approach quests in more ways than most other contemporary RPGs allow you to. In both D:OS2 and BG3's early access version they've definitely also become better at anticipating various ways players might resolve whichever dilemmas they face. It might not be a lot but it's really what makes their games stand out to me because it shows that whatever random dumb shit you've done to complete a quest gets acknowledged.

But on the other hand every time you give their designers free reins you end up with retarded decisions like the D:OS2 armour system and now this. I don't know if it's because their lead designers all have a 'we know better' attitude or if it's Sven single-handedly pushing his own vision (or lack of thereof) through. I feel like the company seriously needs someone that attends every meeting just to slam their fist in the table and tell them that whatever the fuck they are doing is dumb.
Don't get me wrong, I still think the game's going to be good, but at the same time it leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth because I know it could've been so much better.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
That's fair, although the image I edited my post with does seem consistent with the interview.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom