Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
So, what is everyone rolling for class?

I'm a gish-kindda guy, so Hexblade would be the obvious choice. But since long resting seems free and they're not implementing Hexblade, I dunno, really. I might do a bard instead, they can be cool gishes in 5E and I never play them.
I posted an interview a couple of pages back of an Italian interview, which implied that the Pact of the Blade is being made into Hexblade-lite.

Found this on reddit:
looks-like-pact-of-the-blade-is-the-new-version-v0-2uunow8x3jbb1.png
this is quite interesting so its not just cha but could make it wisdom too or something with cleric

Darth Valer

Literate
If I understood Larian's thought process they simply don't want people to play Human because that's lame, most of the playerbase plays Human Fighter Champion Straight White Male and you're supposed to explore the variety they offer. I'm not a fan of being so heavy handed in making Human so unappealing compared to other races but it's also true that almost anyone and their mother wants to play the most basic bitch character they can.

As for Larian's design decisions, even though I'm hyped as fuck for BG 3 I hold little esteem for them after what I've seen in the EA (as someone else said, most of their good modifications came from canceling homebrewe rules and adhering to tabletop rules) and I simply hope they put out the baseline and the framework and modders will adjust the numbers and the parameters and whatnot.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I'm a gish-kindda guy, so Hexblade would be the obvious choice. But since long resting seems free and they're not implementing Hexblade, I dunno, really. I might do a bard instead, they can be cool gishes in 5E and I never play them.
I posted an interview a couple of pages back of an Italian interview, which implied that the Pact of the Blade is being made into Hexblade-lite.

Found this on reddit:

Interesting. That is the most important, though far from the most fun, part of the kit

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I hate their wiki and whole channel with passion pumping their twitch views with force play in wiki
I loath everytime they become the 'officially sponsored wiki' of anything. Their WOTR wiki is still massively incomplete and outdated.

Yosharian

Arcane

Found this on reddit:

Interesting. That is the most important, though far from the most fun, part of the kit
Wait what level Warlock do you have to be to pick that, again?

Takamori

Learned
Larian are shrewd bastards. Show bear scene, make both fans and haters go crazy. Attention and discussion reaches an all time high.

What did everyone think of the gameplay they showed at the end of PFH?

No one cares? Okay.
Seemed polished so it seems it wont suffer the DoS2 issue where act 1 is omega polished and the rest is an after thought that they sort of fixed eventually later.

Rolling Dark Urges Human Oath of Vengeance Paladin.

I think Pacts are at level... 3?

There's a non-commercial, community BG3 wiki that people have been putting together in hopes to have an alternative from Fextra
https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Main_Page

But it's struggling hard to get discovery on Google - for some reason it just won't get indexed.
Well, is it any good?
Or one of those wikia that get updates every six months?

Takamori

Learned
The +2 +1 is shared by all races, humans included.
The problem is that most other races come with better secondary perks.
Humans get Polearm, Light Armor and increased carry weight, apparently.
The first two aren't even exactly terrible... If you are not playing a class that offers these already.
Well I will just mod variant human, Larian designers too retarded to do something decent.

Takamori

Learned
I'm getting Diablo 4 vibes from BG3, its gonna be a fun game but with a lot of annoying shit in the way because the devs are too retarded.

Reinhardt

Arcane
human dark-haired barbarian male with 2h sword or human blonde blue-eyed paladin male with 2h sword.
grumpy but trustworthy dorf cleric
human rogue girl in full raycis cultural appropriation mode. you know - ninja geisha karate sake fujiyama. because fuck you, wizards of coast.
human red-haired sorceress in skimpy clothing to cast fireball on everything that moves.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Found this on reddit:

3. With the Hexblade obviously you'd get it at level 1.

Elthosian

Arcane
I'm getting Diablo 4 vibes from BG3, its gonna be a fun game but with a lot of annoying shit in the way because the devs are too retarded.
I am almost convinced they won’t release mod tools and we will end up with no way to fix the most stupid decisions. In DOS2 you could fix the HP bloat and item level scaling but that was about it.

Yosharian

Arcane
Level 3, lmao fuck that shit. It definitely isn't worth 3 levels of Lock just to get that.

Good stuff for pure Warlocks though.

Takamori

Learned
I am almost convinced they won’t release mod tools and we will end up with no way to fix the most stupid decisions. In DOS2 you could fix the HP bloat and item level scaling but that was about it.
I might have some faith in the modders.
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/top/
They managed to do a lot with few.

Yosharian

Arcane
Honestly multiclassing is kind of a noob trap. At least, up to level 12. The vast majority of classes are better off pure. This ain't PF1E/3.5E.

Takamori

Learned
Honestly multiclassing is kind of a noob trap. At least, up to level 12. The vast majority of classes are better off pure. This ain't PF1E/3.5E.
So so, if you know what you are doing you can improve gameplay. Without limitations for example Sorcadin that is something I'm more familiar with. You have access to the full Sorc spell progression so your paladin will be able to have access to some nasty CC spells and problem solvers like desintegrate and chain lightning, while sporting heavy armor and being able to smite the living shit out of everyone on haste (that by the way has no limitations on which moves you can do on haste so it means more spells).

Which I was perfectly fine with.
And even in a best case scenario multiclassing was always supposed to be an opportunity cost where you gave up on something to gain something else, ideally in a synergy.
I never felt any need for ways to make multiclassing stronger and more appealing.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Party of five minmaxed CE sorcadins. Full murderhobo squad.

Kill everyone at the earliest opportunity.

There can't be bad dialogue if there isn't any dialogue.

1689181820360.png

Elttharion

Learned

So apparently now there's a mechanic to harvest tadpoles from dead NPCs (and possibly your party members) and somehow use those to enhance your Ilithid powers.

I think from a narrative point this really sticks out like a weird thing. Isn't the one tadpole in your head enough to turn you? What does it mean to get multiple tadpoles in your head? Do they fight for dominance to see who gets to turn you completely?

There's a non-commercial, community BG3 wiki that people have been putting together in hopes to have an alternative from Fextra
https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Main_Page

But it's struggling hard to get discovery on Google - for some reason it just won't get indexed.
I remember hearing a long time ago that Fextra pays Google and others to bury their competitors and push their wiki to the front page. They are shady as fuck, including in the way they boost their twitch/youtube channels, and their wiki and guides are incomplete and just plain wrong and complete garbage. I think it was during Dark Souls 1 times that I first heard rumors against them, tho they managed to bury those too.

As an example I play a lot of Monster Hunter and they managed to rise to the top of recommendations despite the fact the community used Kiranico for years and that site is a great source of information. No ads, no bullshit, just data. Meanwhile the fextra wiki is pure misleading garbage and Kiranico is not even in the first page of google search results sometimes.

Yosharian

Arcane

Level 3. So, one level drip into Warlock is not enough, but that seems to solve a different complaint people had with one level of Hexblade shoehorned into multiclass builds.
Oh yeah Hexblade was fucking ridiculous. Not just for Paladins either, it's a monstrous dip for Bards too.

Takamori

Learned
Party of five minmaxed CE sorcadins. Full murderhobo squad.

Kill everyone at the earliest opportunity.

There can't be bad dialogue if there isn't any dialogue.

View attachment 38638
Synch AoE spells, if target fortitude is shit and its a major encounter spam disintegrate.

GGs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom