Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

You also forgot something important. Since the pandemic lot of people entered in the tabletop rpg world and decided to say. This is why today there are also new tabletop rpgs the userbase is increased by a lot. From that to buy a rpg that is turn based the difference is not much. Also guys you are making such of a fuss for something that was meant for a joke.

Normalize bestiality:
Howard stories of conan the barbarian had bestiality as well. TES has also bestiality in some in lore books. Druids in D&D are said to be more attuned to animals than people.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Everything about this game is trash. Its animations, its saturated bright as fuck colors, the cast of characters, the dialogue, the choices, the promotion, the people making it, the fans, the character creation, the multiclassing, 5th edition ruleset, the voice acting, the diversity, the combat, the silly jumping, the exploding barrels, the lack of a day / night cycle. This game will have many broken promises, be filled with bugs, and people will still sing its praises. And it will win codex GotY, guaranteed.
I couldn't have said it better myself. And it will certainly win GotY (GARBAGE of the year)

But you can't reason with Larian sympathizers. They are the type of person who never stood up for their own convictions, because they never had any. They will jump on over to either side of the fence and bat for whichever team looks like it's winning. Even if winning only means netting more sales and attention. No dignity at all.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

TO me it seems you are just hating the game for the sake of being a contrarian that happens often in the codex. BG3 has production value i can say is vastly better of many other titles we had and when it was still in EA.
Bad cinematics? (Better quality of many so call AAA titles)
Saturated graphic? (The graphic is not saturated at all)
The choices? (Clearly you have not played it. The game has multiple choices even in the smallest of quest that actually matter)
Silly jumping? (Jump is part of the pnp mechanics)
5th ruleset? (Better than the 4th but was unrealistic to expect the game to be AD&D or 3th edition while not fan of the 5th is the best choice at the moment)
Exploding barrels? (That was actually super toned down during the ea)
Voice acting? (Bad voice acting? Where? do you need me to remind you Seelah of WOTR? TURENDELEV!!! has anyone seen... TURENDELEV)
The only objective critique you have right now is the lack of day night cycle.)

I hope there is an achievement for having sex with the bear. People who go there should have their freakishness flagged publicly for the world to see.

Alternatively, a 1 point achievement for finishing the game without engaging in sexual deviancy would also be acceptable, just to screw with trophy chasers.

Elttharion

Learned
Not you too.
It will feature foot fetish
bc1.jpg

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Let's say you're in Larian's marketing department. Either a contractor or you work for them directly. How would you advertise the game to the RPGcodex community?

Keep in mind you want to stay employed, so your first instinct of making an account and posting a video of killing Halsin while chanting, "Come home, white man" may not fly.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
TO me it seems you are just hating the game for the sake of being a contrarian that happens often in the codex. BG3 has production value i can say is vastly better of many other titles we had and when it was still in EA.
The choices? (Clearly you have not played it. The game has multiple choices even in the smallest of quest that actually matter)
5th ruleset? (Better than the 4th but was unrealistic to expect the game to be AD&D or 3th edition while not fan of the 5th is the best choice at the moment)
Voice acting? (Bad voice acting? Where? do you need me to remind you Seelah of WOTR? TURENDELEV!!! has anyone seen... TURENDELEV)

Bad cinematics / animations = The camera angles, the closeups, the odd mouth movement, the unnatural eyes, the heads all turning at the same time when an npc talks, the staring into space, the overabundance, the way they stand (bow legged, hunched, spread out legs), the overuse of body movements to get points across.

Saturated graphics = Ultra bright cheery days, colors everywhere, in dark areas even if a hint of the color palette they use is visible it looks awful. Fable quality.

The choices = You misunderstand. Multiple choices doesn't always equal good. It's the quality of available choices that is lacking. Most of the choices sound like they are written by a zoomer who spends far to much time on twitter. They barely amount to anything better than typical Mass Effect bullshit.

Silly Jumping = Jumping twice, three, four! times your height looks stupid. Its marvel tier sillyness.

5th edition rules = It's not unrealistic to expect a good ruleset. 5th edition isn't it.

Exploding barrels. = There is more than enough already. They scaled back? Unless they got rid of them entirely, it's not good enough.

Voice acting = Most characters sound weak, soft, poncy, modern, out of place, bored, not up to the task. Huge pass on the voice acting.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Bad cinematics / animations = The camera angles, the closeups, the odd mouth movement, the unnatural eyes, the heads all turning at the same time when an npc talks, the staring into space, the overabundance, the way they stand (bow legged, hunched, spread out legs), the overuse of body movements to get points across.

Saturated graphics = Ultra bright cheery days, colors everywhere, in dark areas even if a hint of the color palette they use is visible it looks awful. Fable quality.

The choices = You misunderstand. Multiple choices doesn't always equal good. It's the quality of available choices that is lacking. Most of the choices sound like they are written by a zoomer who spends far to much time on twitter. They barely amount to anything better than typical Mass Effect bullshit.

Silly Jumping = Jumping twice, three, four! times your height looks stupid. Its marvel tier sillyness.

5th edition rules = It's not unrealistic to expect a good ruleset. 5th edition isn't it.

Exploding barrels. = There is more than enough already. They scaled back? Unless they got rid of them entirely, it's not good enough.

Voice acting = Most characters sound weak, soft, poncy, modern, out of place, bored, not up to the task. Huge pass on the voice acting.
I think you played one of the first versions of the Early access most stuff you mentioned they changed it.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Seems this thread has attracted the codex's biggest degenerates, freaks, retards, and of course mebs. Did I seriously see somebody say this game will be as popular as Skyrim? And what is this stuff about having sex with bears and other animals? And tadpoles?

Zeriel

Arcane
Let's say you're in Larian's marketing department. Either a contractor or you work for them directly. How would you advertise the game to the RPGcodex community?

Keep in mind you want to stay employed, so your first instinct of making an account and posting a video of killing Halsin while chanting, "Come home, white man" may not fly.

I don't think they care about us at all. There's a reason Swen stopped posting here. It's a classic small indie developer arc though. Lean on grognards for money and word of mouth when you are poor, to the extent of getting Kickstartered, then run away and embrace the mainstream when you have a larger audience.

Modron

Arcane
Did I seriously see somebody say this game will be as popular as Skyrim? And what is this stuff about having sex with bears and other animals?
Wouldn't be shocked if skyrim mods already got there well over a decade ago.

Drakortha

Liturgist

I don't think they care about us at all. There's a reason Swen stopped posting here. It's a classic small indie developer arc though. Lean on grognards for money and word of mouth when you are poor, to the extent of getting Kickstartered, then run away and embrace the mainstream when you have a larger audience.
It's the Todd Howard arc.

Once upon a time, Todd would post on Bethesda forums. But when Skyrim hit the mainstream, the forum just got deleted. Didn't need it anymore.

Zeriel

Arcane

It's the Todd Howard arc.

Once upon a time, Todd would post on Bethesda forums. But when Skyrim hit the mainstream, the forum just got deleted. Didn't need it anymore.

Ah yeah I do remember when they would try and defend their decisions to fans. Emil used to post on forums too. I guess it's expected when you have the option of not answering to people who criticize you and can just be surrounded by fawning employees who say everything you do is perfect you'd want it to be that way.

Oblivion era is the last time I recall that being one-on-one interaction on forums, it's funny looking back and seeing them try to justify why removing half the skills was good. Now they don't even bother. Just do everything through press who say it's a brilliant idea to remove all RPG elements.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Not too long ago I was on a dragon age bender and in a fit of masochism I managed to play through and finish DA: Inquisition, regarded as a terribad rpg overall, second only to DA2.

I am 100% deadly serious when i say the dialogue in inquisition AND dragon age 2 are both leagues better then everything i've seen of bg3 so far.
Quantity=/=Quality. I am willing to accept the possibility i have only seen the worst of bg3 and it is possible it is not reflective of the overall writing, possible and i really hope this is the case. But i am really numb to this argument that more=better, i'd rather 4 or even just 3 dialogue options that don't make me physically cringe over dozens of...whatever the hell it is people have been posting in screencaps up to now.

Seriously i'm not being contrarian here for the sake of it. I honestly figured bg3 would be an auto purchase just because i've been such a shameless bioware fan in the past and am usually more tolerant of the cringiness in rpgness then most codexers here. But every example of writing i've seen so far not only fails to click with me, it actively repulses me.
Hell i could go chat up random girls on grindr and likely get the same sort of conversation that i've been seeing from bg3 thus far.
So they took out some of the explosive barrels from encounters.

It's still Mass Effect / Dragon Age under the Baldur's Gate brand.

This proves my point. This is around the lowest dragon age ever goes and it involves the character that is THE sluttiest and most shameless in that whole series and yet it still comes off as more high brow and genuinely comedic then most of what i've seen from bg3 thus far.

Goddamnit what is the world coming to when i'm using Da2 as a positive example.

Here is my contribution, again it runs rings around bg3 even when it comes to sex related humor. And is far classier.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Decline is infinite. Wherever you are in a given time period and think "It can't possibly get worse!" in 5 years time, you will be looking back fondly at the previous lows as not that bad.

Drakortha

Liturgist

Ah yeah I do remember when they would try and defend their decisions to fans. Emil used to post on forums too. I guess it's expected when you have the option of not answering to people who criticize you and can just be surrounded by fawning employees who say everything you do is perfect you'd want it to be that way.

Oblivion era is the last time I recall that being one-on-one interaction on forums, it's funny looking back and seeing them try to justify why removing half the skills was good. Now they don't even bother. Just do everything through press who say it's a brilliant idea to remove all RPG elements.
The last thing I remember was Todd reassuring everyone that Fallout was in good hands when they were still developing Fallout 3. Now look what they've done with Fallout 76. It's a fucking clown show.

Jackpot

Learned
Its funny to think that there was once a time when rtwp was considered more generally accessible than turn-based combat.
At this point way more "casual gamers" have played some Fire Emblem or Civilization game and understand the basics of turn-based combat.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I was thinking I'd play BG1/2 before launch to keep up hype.

But after thinking about it does my playthrough even matter? They have a canon ending for the Bhaalspawn saga with Abdel Adrian being the canon protagonist who made all the wrong choices and died like a bitch.

Kinda sad all your hard work doesn't matter because it isn't canon.

Zeriel

Arcane
I was thinking I'd play BG1/2 before launch to keep up hype.

But after thinking about it does my playthrough even matter? They have a canon ending for the Bhaalspawn saga with Abdel Adrian being the canon protagonist who made all the wrong choices and died like a bitch.

Kinda sad all your hard work doesn't matter because it isn't canon.

You should play them if you want a superior experience and story, one that will make you not want to ever play BG3. If you want to enjoy BG3... don't play BG1-2.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
This is aroun the lowest dragon age ever goes
Teach me your ways wise one, how did you erase all knowledge of Dragon Age Inquistion from your brain?
I only managed it after a year in silent meditation at a tibetan temple but having recently replayed it i'm afraid i will have to reacquire that wisdom.

In truth though the problem with Dragon Age Inquisiton is less its writing and more everything else. The game is a grindy chore to play and they went overboard with "epic" and making you run around huge areas with painful clunky mmo combat. You also feel the toll consolization has taken by the complete gutting of the tactics systems and limiting your hotbar to 9 skills.

But the writing and dialogue? Inquisition really isn't that bad. Compared to current writing in vidya anyways.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
You should play them if you want a superior experience and story, one that will make you not want to ever play BG3. If you want to enjoy BG3... don't play BG1-2.

SoD is canon now. Is SoD really better than BG3? Just kidding I'll skip that. But yeah I might do I've got both of the EEs on steam so I could just roll up something unique and original.

Maybe a Kensage or Fighter/Mage multi and I can use shadowkeeper to change his paperdoll so it looks cool.

Silverfish

Arbiter

Montage of combat encounters with Limp Bizkit's Rollin' playing in the background.

mondblut

Arcane
I agree with you in that I don't like it, but let's not present Baldur's Gate or any classic CRPG as being puritan and devoid of degeneracy.

This is not about puritanism. This is about morons being chosen as the prime target demographic. "Hurr durr, bear sex, day1 purchase, shut up and take muh money". I predicted it would gonna be full on "go for teh eyes buuuu" meme idiocy from day one, but apparently retard and his hamster are no longer memetic enough unless he shoves said hamster up his arse.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom