Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I don't remember Interplay choosing this as a focus of how they presented the game.
There wasn't nearly the level of media exposure then that there is today, and the morals of the market were VERY different as well.

We're talking about a time when swearing wasn't allowed on broadcast television. Now, who cares? It's all allowed on YouTube. People have a vastly different (or nonexistent) sense of propriety.
If Larian were making Arcanum, it would be known as "the game where you shag Betty the Sheep, also steampunk something".
Except I remember reading reviews that showed that. It may have been highlighted in some kind of press materials. There just wasn't the same level of media exposure about it, and it wasn't a cinematic cutscene, since the game didn't have those apart form a handful of prerendered ones.

If Arcanum were a cinematic game and YouTube existed in 2002, let alone highres livestreams, you can bet there would have been video of it online.

I agree with you in that I don't like it, but let's not present Baldur's Gate or any classic CRPG as being puritan and devoid of degeneracy.

Especially not Baldur's Gate, the game with multiple whore houses in every game, and the game where you're forced to help a pedophile murder escape from prison.

cpmartins

Cipher
Guys, I got Jagged Alliance 3 and that shit is good so I won't have as much time to post in this thread for a few days. Don't let the people forget about the bears while I'm gone. Keep fighting the good fight!

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Here is a collection of the people who just wouldn't let the subject go. They can't help themselves. They are so excited that their sexual preference (bestiality) is starting to gain acceptance. Gone are the days where you have to play some unity asset that features anthropomorphic characters done in a cartoon style. Now you get the actual four legged creatures done with artisitc care in a AAA game. Thanks Larian...

you-call-it-autism-i-call-it-having-that-dawg-in-me-shirt-Shirt.jpg

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
https://gagadget.com/en/games/27816...rs-gate-3-on-pc-will-not-be-able-to-play-the/

The master race cucked AGAIN! A neverending tale of neglect, abuse, and cuckoldry of the greatest types of gamers on earth lmao. Oh how I cry for thee.
Everyone will play the game 1 month ahead of the planned release date. Not some people 3 days early, all people 30 days early.

You pay $80 for the deluxe edition and you STILL have to play it at the same time as everybody else. That is equivalent to commiting war crimes. Larian has zero respect for their fans. I now understand why Ontopoly has a hate boner for them.

Not granting Deluxe/Ultimate/whatever customers early access is like paying a stripper $200 for a "special" lap dance and she doesn't so much as let you touch her butthole. That has happened to me irl and it was devastating. Deluxe edition owners should be furious.
You pay extra to play 3 days earlier than the stated release date, and now you will play 30 days earlier instead!
Only reason to be mad is if you only value playing as long as others don't play, as in if you are a sadistical autist.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Guys, I got Jagged Alliance 3 and that shit is good so I won't have as much time to post in this thread for a few days. Don't let the people forget about the bears while I'm gone. Keep fighting the good fight!
We won’t let you down.

15684.jpg
Damn bears are disgusting!

Hey this should interest Larian writers : "During the months when they are dormant, black bears have what is called a fecal plug that blocks their gastrointestinal tract. Much of this plug consists of hair that the bear ingests while licking its coat. When the bear emerges in the spring, this plug is expelled (sic). The pictured plug is roughly 6” long and 3 ½” at its widest point."

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder how many sales they would need to break even? Swen spent so much on this fucking game...
He did make a casual slip and mentioned that they would've released this game 2 years ago, but they wanted to keep adding stuff, and they did.

They were also very flexible in changing the delivery date by a month, too. This means that they're pretty stress proof. Not sure if they're comfortable, but it feels they're stress proof.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder how many sales they would need to break even? Swen spent so much on this fucking game...
I half expected Bg3 to sink Larian, especially for being in development so many years. Even if Bg3 is RPG of the decade, I don’t imagine that many normies playing a turn-based RPG.

I could be dead wrong though.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I don’t imagine that many normies playing a turn-based RPG.

Pretty much every household CRPG developer has included or made a complete switch over to turn-based combat in the past few years, take a guess as to why.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

Pretty much every household CRPG developer has included or made a complete switch over to turn-based combat in the past few years, take a guess as to why.
Have those games sold well though? Not trying to be a doomer, but BG3 is a pretty big and expensive undertaking for what was a medium sized developer.

I half expected Bg3 to sink Larian, especially for being in development so many years. Even if Bg3 is RPG of the decade, I don’t imagine that many normies playing a turn-based RPG.
This isn't 1999, dude.

https://www.pcgamer.com/sci-fi-trum...ail-surpasses-genshin-impacts-launch-numbers/

Turn-based RPGs are extremely popular. Japs (and now Chinese) kept it so even when Western devs gave up on it in the late 90s, early 2000s.
That is a fair point, but my focus is more so on the development time and added scope relative to new sales on release (i.e., not preorders)

Late Bloomer

Scholar

They play through it to get to the parts they like. I am sure you can guess what parts those are. All one must do is read through this very thread to figure out who plays the game for the combat and who plays to live out their fetishes.

Shrimp

Liturgist
Getting a couple millions for the Stadia deal probably helped a lot. I wonder how much they got out of it

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

They play through it to get to the parts they like. I am sure you can guess what parts those are. All one must do is read through this very thread to figure out who plays the game for the combat and who plays to live out their fetishes.
I would expect a fetishist to just watch a YouTube clip or playthrough, rather than play a turn based game or shell out $60.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
But only if you do the stupidest path in act 1 by siding with the goblins.
She's an evil bitch drow who wants to dominate you. Yes, in that way. Are you seriously fucking surprised that she wants to kill druids?
No, I'm surprised that they think anyone will go down the goblin path aside from people playing their donut steel murderhobo insert. It's weird gating a fully fledged party member down a path almost no one will take.

I'm assuming that there's not some alternate way to get her of course.
The goblin path is way easier to start than you'd expect.
You can stroll right up to the goblin base, pass a persuade check, and then walk on through straight to the hot drow chick
The way the game is setup, you can just dick around looking for stuff and end up siding with the gobbos to kill the demons.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I would expect a fetishist to just watch a YouTube clip or playthrough, rather than play a turn based game or shell out $60.

:notsureifserious:

Yeah, you're right. Normie gamers and gamers in general would never play a game to live out their fantasies... Fucking hell dude. Everyone (including you maybe?) wants to play this fetish simulator. D&D has had a major resurgence, most every media outlet is praising this game, turn based combat is accessible, and fear of missing out will help propel this game to sales figures that will be shockingly impressive. And the codex will give it GotY.

Last edited:

Lamiosa

Educated
But only if you do the stupidest path in act 1 by siding with the goblins.
She's an evil bitch drow who wants to dominate you. Yes, in that way. Are you seriously fucking surprised that she wants to kill druids?
No, I'm surprised that they think anyone will go down the goblin path aside from people playing their donut steel murderhobo insert. It's weird gating a fully fledged party member down a path almost no one will take.

I'm assuming that there's not some alternate way to get her of course.
The goblin path is way easier to start than you'd expect.
You can stroll right up to the goblin base, pass a persuade check, and then walk on through straight to the hot drow chick
The way the game is setup, you can just dick around looking for stuff and end up siding with the gobbos to kill the demons.
From what I saw from Fextralife act 1 playthrough (pre-release game version), they changed that a bit, and the evil path for this part (goblins x druids and tieflings) seems more reasonable now. I will try to be as vague as possible, but spoiler none the less, especially if you didn't play EA: From Early Access, initially the person that is at the goblin camp seems the best hope. If you go there undercover (reasonable from an evil person POV, as you don't really care about helping the grove) and talk to them, they say that they can't help you. Then a new character that is not in EA recommends you to infiltrate the cult so you can learn how to remove the tadpole. So helping the drow is not that bad of a choice, considering the circunstances

Gwendo

Augur
Normies (that play games) are used to turn-based gameplay and combat. Most mobile games use it.

Elthosian

Arcane
Wat. 10 million copies? In early access? More like 2 million to 3 million tops.
According to steamdb:

View attachment 38759
Okay, i was being a bit generous.
Swen or somebody else said they were close to 2 millions a few days before the last panel from hell. With so many days within the top 10 best sellers I’d say it’s probably close to 2.5 so I think your estimation is just fine. Of course that number includes the Collector’s Editions, GOG and PS5 sales that won’t shop up in Steamdb.

Btw these estimates are certainly useful and precise, but in the end (at least steamspy) it’s just a linear regression or xgboost whose assumptions might not hold for early access games.

Zeriel

Arcane
Are Codexers still going on about the bear? I've gone through more than twenty pages of it already and I can't be bothered to read another twenty pages of wannabe Ted Haggards kvetching about their psychosexual hangups. Holy shit, you guys need a better outlet for your unresolved sexual tension. That's the kind of thing General Discussion is for, not the Baldur's Gate 3 thread.

I don't think "not wanting to have sex with a bear" can be called a "psychosexual hangup". In fact, it is the reverse. If you want to have sex with a bear, that is the aberration. The fact we're sitting here calling people who don't want to engage in bestiality the strange ones says it all.

Drakortha

Liturgist

Yeah, you're right. Normie gamers and gamers in general would never play a game to live out their fantasies... Fucking hell dude. Everyone (including you maybe?) wants to play this fetish simulator. D&D has had a major resurgence, most every media outlet is praising this game, turn based combat is accesible, and fear of missing out will help propel this game to sales figures that will be shockingly impressive. And the codex will give it GotY.
Not you too.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

:notsureifserious:

Yeah, you're right. Normie gamers and gamers in general would never play a game to live out their fantasies... Fucking hell dude. Everyone (including you maybe?) wants to play this fetish simulator. D&D has had a major resurgence, most every media outlet is praising this game, turn based combat is accesible, and fear of missing out will help propel this game to sales figures that will be shockingly impressive. And the codex will give it GotY.
I don’t think the average normie has the attention span for it though. Unless there has been a shift, the completion metric on all steam RPGs is complete ass. I recall only few people ever get past act 1 on large RPGs (with exception).

I would be lying if I said I won’t play it. I am intrigued by the builds, the items, etc. I had a lot fun in EA just exploring and monkeying around the town/village killing goblins. To me, BG3 is an absurd murder-hobo simulator. If I heard the Fextralife video right, you can murder the druids, the tieflings, and then the goblins and still progress through to act II.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Not you too.

I couldn't be as disgusted with a game or its fans as I am with this game and its fans. It will sell very well. It will be a buggy shitty mess, it will attempt to normalize bestiality. It will feature pegging, homosexuality, foot fetish (sorry jarl, you seem nice), mommy fetish, blacks, femdom, and a whole host of others. And it will sell well because of it. D&D having a major resurgence is because of similar reasons. Critical Roles proves that. Every media outlest was jumping for joy after that bear scene. They all ran similar headlines promotoing it. Turn based combat is easy for normies to understand. As noted above, it's used on mobiles games. That is their target demographic now. Fear of missing out is for people with no self control, which describes these disgusting degernates perfectly.

Everything about this game is trash. Its animations, its saturated bright as fuck colors, the cast of characters, the dialogue, the choices, the promotion, the people making it, the fans, the character creation, the multiclassing, 5th edition ruleset, the voice acting, the diversity, the combat, the silly jumping, the exploding barrels, the lack of a day / night cycle. This game will have many broken promises, be filled with bugs, and people will still sing its praises. And it will win codex GotY, guaranteed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom