Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
BioWare was right to bar Dwarves from being mages.
In 5E, dwarves make interesting wizards thanks to their racial armor proficiency. You can go around in medium armor throwing fireballs.

The problem is they do not get an onborn bump to intelligence. This means in point buy and stat allocation systems you start the game with a +2 in a main stat, not a +3. A trendemous disadvantage, I don't think its worth the extra AC. Maybe with Hill Dwarf for the extra hp.

Vatnik Wumao
Finally finished downloading, off I go then

time-to-play-BG3-gif.gif
Have fun. :love:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Was torn between going for Arcane Trickster or trying Assassin since assassinate could come handy at 3rd level but it seems that it wasn't implemented for the EA. Arcane it is then.

IIRC, Assassin is very situational while AT is always useful since it's magic rogueTM. Is swashbuckler in the game? Otherwise no rogue playthrough for me.

Codex Year of the Donut
In 5E, dwarves make interesting wizards thanks to their racial armor proficiency. You can go around in medium armor throwing fireballs.

The problem is they do not get an onborn bump to intelligence. This means in point buy and stat allocation systems you start the game with a +2 in a main stat, not a +3. A trendemous disadvantage, I don't think its worth the extra AC. Maybe with Hill Dwarf for the extra hp.
WotC is already in the process of removing racial ability score bonuses so you won't have to worry about this in future D&D cRPGs

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Oh, so, apart from the effects left on the battlefield, it's just like the original Baldur's Gate! Cool, I loved that game!
The whole point of me quoting it was to highlight the stupid effects left on the battlefield. It's stupid as fuck to have lava pools and electricity pools everywhere. They're also going to throw in their own shit style of itemization by the looks of it. Typical larian. This game is DOS3 in everything but rule set and name. I'm not sure why they decided to name it baldurs gate 3 seeing as baldurs gate 2 is 20 years old now, has less name recognition than dos2, and that it has nothing to do with baldurs gate. swen is a fucking crook and mike mearls is the rat bastard on the inside

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Was torn between going for Arcane Trickster or trying Assassin since assassinate could come handy at 3rd level but it seems that it wasn't implemented for the EA. Arcane it is then.

IIRC, Assassin is very situational while AT is always useful since it's magic rogueTM. Is swashbuckler in the game? Otherwise no rogue playthrough for me.

Assassin is the usual go to option, since it gets actual combat benefits on top a thin layer of fluff.
AT only gets 1/3 casting, which is pityfully small in 5e.
That said assassinate is literally their bread and butter and without them they are a shit.

But rogues are very frontloaded, subclass choice matters little. Except Swashbuckler which is ridiculously good for tabletop play due to permanent sneak attacks.

Generic-Giant-Spider

HOLY FUCK I TOOK A SHOWER, I SHAVED, I FED THE KIDS, AND I'M LIKE... "OH, WELL, MUST BE AT 80% NOW."

NOPE.

37%.

I'LL NEVER FUCKING PLAY SWEN VINKE'S MASTAPEECE FLAGSHIP TITLE BALDUR'S GATE 3.

IT'S OVER.

CANCELED DOWNLOAD.

GOING BACK TO DARK HEART OF UUKRUL.

Codex Year of the Donut

WotC is already in the process of removing racial ability score bonuses so you won't have to worry about this in future D&D cRPGs
This is the guy who advises the D&D design team on 'cultural sensitivity' btw
https://jamesmendezhodes.com/

Just skim through some of his articles and you'll understand exactly where, why, and how D&D is and where it's going.

Codex Year of the Donut

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
HOLY FUCK I TOOK A SHOWER, I SHAVED, I FED THE KIDS, AND I'M LIKE... "OH, WELL, MUST BE AT 80% NOW."
NOPE.
37%.
IT'S OVER.
CANCELED DOWNLOAD.
I hate your superpower of writing poasts with capital letters. Can you deactive it?

Gargaune

Magister
Hey, ChildInTime, give us the scoop, chief! First impression: shit, not shit, or neutral-positive shit?

And, much more importantly, is there a Combat Log? Oh, and how does the game handle armour models, do they properly look the same on everyone, or is it that Dragon Age crap where each character has their own "outfits?"

Generic-Giant-Spider

NOPE.
37%.
IT'S OVER.
CANCELED DOWNLOAD.
I hate your superpower of writing poasts with capital letters. Can you deactive it?

I hate your skin color but we all have to look at it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Assassin is the usual go to option, since it gets actual combat benefits on top a thin layer of fluff.
That said assassinate is literally their bread and butter and without them they are a shit.

But rogues are very frontloaded, subclass choice matters little. Except Swashbuckler which is ridiculously good for tabletop play due to permanent sneak attacks.

This is news to me, my groups usually agree that Assassin is one of the weaker rogues unless the campaign has a heavy infilitration/sneak focus. Compared to AT with casting and swashbuckler being just good as fuck, Assassins only get to use their combat abilities on ememies that are surprised or haven't taken a turn in combat yet.

Which is very situational and depends on whether or not your DM runs "all enemies are always on high alert all the goddamn time."

The game is very much DOS and not so much BG. Great if you love the former and despise the latter, others might end up with mixed feelings.

Also, I thought this was funny, there is a scene where your party has to run about 50 meters to reach an objective in *drum roll please* turns. Gotta love it. :lol:

The game is still very, very, very much alpha. I am having problems with sound and music (is all of it even implemented?) on my high-end PC, and gameplay is very clunky.

Think about that before you shell out 60 bucks simply to beta alpha test for Swen... or, even better, just get the DRM free GoG "swashbuckler edition", that is already floating around the high seas.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

This is news to me, my groups usually agree that Assassin is one of the weaker rogues unless the campaign has a heavy infilitration/sneak focus. Compared to AT with casting and swashbuckler being just good as fuck, Assassins only get to use their combat abilities on ememies that are surprised or haven't taken a turn in combat yet.

Which is very situational and depends on whether or not your DM runs "all enemies are always on high alert all the goddamn time."

A lot of ppl at my table are allured by the autocrits.
But also in general internet discussion people seem to favor the assassin for the magical wonderland scenarios of rolling loads of dice.
That said I think Assassins tend to get assassinate procs in fairly often due to the ridiculous stealth value a rogue can get through expertise. It depends on your group however due to the finnicky nature of how surprised works within the rules. A -1 disadvantage dwarf may mean no enemy is ever surprised.
In a game however it should be by far the strongest subclass. Due to save and load it should enable you to open every encounter with a free crit, which is devasting in 5es number balance.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
There are currently 55k+ players on Steam playing BG3*. Did any PoE, Wasteland, DoS etc. came even close to these numbers?

That doesn't mean anything for the quality of the game, it means that the game was marketed well. They did a good job there, I'll give them that. This is why they bought the franchise in the first place.

Apart from that, go ahead people and take a look also at twitch and see how this ~200k number is assembled, i.e. by which streamers... Of course PoE and Wasteland couldn't reach these "precious" streamers for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
A lot of ppl at my table are allured by the autocrits.
But also in general internet discussion people seem to favor the assassin for the magical wonderland scenarios of rolling loads of dice.
That said I think Assassins tend to get assassinate procs in fairly often due to the ridiculous stealth value a rogue can get through expertise. It depends on your group however due to the finnicky nature of how surprised works within the rules. A -1 disadvantage dwarf may mean no enemy is ever surprised.
In a game however it should be by far the strongest subclass. Due to save and load it should enable you to open every encounter with a free crit, which is devasting in 5es number balance.

Hmm you might be right, but I've never played a 5e video game, so I'll have to wait and see. Having the ability to delete enemies in the first round is useful, but I'd rather stick with other more consistent options, especially at later levels where it matters less.

In 5E armor doesn't matter much.

It does, and it doesn't. Depends on the level mostly.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

ChildInTime

Learned
Hey, ChildInTime, give us the scoop, chief! First impression: shit, not shit, or neutral-positive shit?

And, much more importantly, is there a Combat Log? Oh, and how does the game handle armour models, do they properly look the same on everyone, or is it that Dragon Age crap where each character has their own "outfits?"
The presentation is great, this thing definitely cost a lot of money. Yes, there is a combat log. Armors look the same if equipped on different characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom