Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Bruh you are the only person here who thinks reusing existing assets is bad. You are the guy out of touch with industry practice, who thinks we are attacking Larian or Bethesda for pointing out they have an existing library of resources that they are reintegrating into this project.
I realize you're ESL, so maybe you don't understand: I don't like your use of the word "assets" because it's misleading.

You can say no one cares (apart from that one Drak guy, who clearly does care, since he posted negatively about it), but that's not the issue. The issue is that it's misleading.

I am fine with what Larian has done. I am fine with reusing a game engine.

I am not fine with reusing (especially visual) assets from a game that's more than 5 years old and from a different franchise, and that's what saying simply "they reused assets from DOS2" implies to me.

Now, maybe I'm just ignorant of "industry practice here", unlike a professional game designer like yourself, but I disagree with the use of that word. Nothing more. I don't think either of you are attacking anything.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I realize you're ESL, so maybe you don't understand: I don't like your use of the word "assets" because it's misleading.
Game scripts are assets. They are literally sold in the assets shop for Unreal Engine and Unity. I guess these are dirty ESL companies who can't speak english.
Btw, I'm a developer too. Not in gamedev, but I do work on multiple projects, and there is a folder called "assets" that contains.... code. Scripts. Files I copy from other projects, like for validating dates or citizen ID numbers or car registration, etc. Literally reusing assets from my older work.

Asset doesn't just mean textures, visual assets aren't the only type of asset. You are being silly, and dying on a silly hill.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I am not fine with reusing assets from a game that's more than 5 years Old

Why. This is why we can’t have nice things.

They’re definitely doing that btw, even with your limited definition of assets. A ton of the world objects like cups and plates are clearly reused. Others are reskinned. This is also the case with some icons - books even have the same “background glow” as in dos.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Game scripts are assets.
Not colloquially to the average player.

As I said, an engine is technically an asset, but it's not usually referred to as one. Usually, people just say "the engine".
They are literally sold in the assets shop for Unreal Engine and Unity.
Does the game run on Unreal or Unity?
Btw, I'm a developer too. Not in gamedev, but I do work on multiple projects, and there is a folder called "assets" that contains....
Again:

As I said, an engine is technically an asset, but it's not usually referred to as one. Usually, people just say "the engine".

So when you say "they reused assets" people will assume, usually, visual or audio assets. Hence why I asked what kind of assets and asked for examples.

Asset doesn't just mean textures
Maybe that's why I went to the trouble of listing multiple types of assets?

Once more: technically, these are assets. Technically, any item that has value is. But without stating WHAT "assets" you're talking about, you're just not communicating effectively.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
As if I’m going to install DOS2 go to the city find a plate take a screenshot and do a side by side comparison to win a discussion on the Codex which is at this point purely semantic. Get real nigga :lol:

At this point the only non-semantic point you’ve made is that despite all of your finger-pointing at Drak, you’re the one saying you wouldn’t be OK with asset reuse from a 5 year old game. Why? I’m of the firm opinion that asset reuse was a key reason for BG2’s success, because it allows you to focus on CONTENT instead of wasting your goddamn time on developing frameworks. And if you can use the entirety of DOS2’s mechanical, visual and interactive framework and still make it look like BG3? Who gives a fuck, then?

It’s one of video gaming’s biggest mysteries to me that people demand developers reinvent the wheel every time they make a new game instead of giving us better, bigger and more fleshed out content. But apparantly that’s what people demand.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
As if I’m going to install DOS2 go to the city find a plate take a screenshot and do a side by side comparison to win a discussion on the Codex which is at this point purely semantic. Get real nigga
Me neither. This is why I asked you to do it. But you're the one who isn't backing up his claim.
At this point the only non-semantic point you’ve made is that despite all of your finger-pointing at Drak, you’re the one saying you wouldn’t be OK with asset reuse from a 5 year old game. Why?
Quality doesn't match up. Also, for a AAA game, I expect at least the visuals to look new.

I don't want to pay new game money for a game that's really just a mod of an older game. Maybe you do, but that's your opinion and your money.

However, that's not what BG3 is, and you can't prove otherwise apparently. Moot point.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
The hype train is rolling. I just convinced my brother to look into buying it. Lordy lordy, I'm feeling it.

dt2RZAX.png

For assets, I hated the game for being so similar to DOS2 when Early Access first rolled. I sperged out maybe 900 pages ago. The inventory looked the exact fucking same. The items were literally pulled over and had to then be changed into proper D&D itemization.

Here's a gold piece, a dumbass fish, and a cup you could find in DOS2. What is the argument here?
jLj8eEX.jpg

Gradenmayer

Learned
So actually playing the game I’m definitely playing Bard on release. Cutting Words is absolutely awesome with the new Reaction system. But I’m deffo playing Lore - since Bardic Inspiration, their main class ability, is inexplicably still absolutely shit since you can’t use your die after rolling. You have to use it before. I.e. using the dice on Cutting Words seems a much better prospect as that ability is actually implemented properly.
You can use inspiration before combat, buff lasts until long rest.

Readher

Savant
There's asset reuse and asset reuse.

Using models and textures of props from previous games that still hold up or code that just works™ and doesn't need improvement is good.

Sugoislop taking place in the same part of the same city for 6 games in a row just so they can skip 90% of asset creation is bad.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So actually playing the game I’m definitely playing Bard on release. Cutting Words is absolutely awesome with the new Reaction system. But I’m deffo playing Lore - since Bardic Inspiration, their main class ability, is inexplicably still absolutely shit since you can’t use your die after rolling. You have to use it before. I.e. using the dice on Cutting Words seems a much better prospect as that ability is actually implemented properly.
You can use inspiration before combat, buff lasts until long rest.

You missed my point. In 5E, my Fighter can make his to hit roll, realize he is 3 points off, and decide to use the inspiration the bard gave him. Exactly the way Cutting Words currently works in BG3 (you can decide to use it after seeing enemy saving throw roll at least, unsure about attack roll).

In BG3 you can’t do this. You risk wasting a core class ability on a die roll where it wouldn’t make a difference anyway.

Without the ability to do this - and with Larian’s nerf of the Daily amount of inspiration - bardic inspiration is severely nerfed.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

The hype train is rolling. I just convinced my brother to look into buying it. Lordy lordy, I'm feeling it.

dt2RZAX.png

For assets, I hated the game for being so similar to DOS2 when Early Access first rolled. I sperged out maybe 900 pages ago. The inventory looked the exact fucking same. The items were literally pulled over and had to then be changed into proper D&D itemization.

Here's a gold piece, a dumbass fish, and a cup you could find in DOS2. What is the argument here?
jLj8eEX.jpg
350px-Waterdhavian-coins.jpg

The coin is actually very accurate how it should be by setting. Also again i don't see copied stuff. Similitude? Yes.
Following the infamous divinity oiriginal sin cup
https://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Cup

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiste

Augur
Let's talk about the important stuff again: the bear sex.

Is this also a "playersexual" thing, i.e. no matter who and what I am, the bear will want to fuck me? Would the bear fuck a tiny Gnome? Or a Half-Orc? Is there anything the bear wouldn't fuck? Does the bear have standards?

I also wonder if Kotaku etc. would have been so positive about the bearfucking if the fuckee was female. I somehow suspect we would have gotten different headlines if that was the case.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I also wonder if Kotaku etc. would have been so positive about the bearfucking if the fuckee was female. I somehow suspect we would have gotten different headlines if that was the case.

To balance the power dynamic to the satisfaction of Kotaku et al Larian would need to introduce a Jaheira bearmance for balance, otherwise it's effectively perpetuating toxic masculinity

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't necessarily call that "assets" though. I'd call that the base engine.
Thanks. Just this once I decided not to be an ass and point out the same. "Asset reuse" is a term strictly for assets, not for using the same base technology between projects. And of course, when I'm not being strict, confusion ensues.

What is the argument here?
The argument is, why the hell are you playing an Elf?!

Last edited:

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Strong, high level adventurers are going to butt heads and jockey for supremacy. Here is Haer'Dalis and Anomen.

Lae'zel and Shadowheart are at loggerheads from the start. Are we going to see the bantz? Good banter from them would have to be written by women and they'd be able to really dive in. Larian has women writers, so these two are their chance to shine.

I've been role-playing as an elf in games since Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring came out when I was 7, and I wanted to be Legolas. For all the arguments against elves, attracting women is the obvious answer for them.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Let's talk about the important stuff again: the bear sex.

Is this also a "playersexual" thing, i.e. no matter who and what I am, the bear will want to fuck me? Would the bear fuck a tiny Gnome? Or a Half-Orc? Is there anything the bear wouldn't fuck? Does the bear have standards?

Halsin, the bear guy, is a confirmed optional companion for your party, so he will probably fuck whatever the main character is.

Barbarian

Arcane
MC(dark urge) + Minthara. Maybe "hirelings".

All other companions seem ultra cringe. Might actually justify a full blown evil dark urge playthrough. Swen has stated killing them provides significant rewards.
What do you dislike about Shadowheart? Not that is matters, but I am curious if I glossed over something.

Not to sound like a coomer, but personally I think the voice actress for Shadowheart did a great job.
It was commented here or elsewhere that she brags about her body count and flirts with other companions in front of the pc. There is also the danger hair. Seems like an onlyfans whore.

Minthara on the other hand by all accounts seems pretty wholesome(If you exclude the genocide and worshipping dark deities bits).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom