Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Elden Ring is the other infamous game about which western developers were seething. I'm playing Fallout right now waiting for BG3. I don't need brand spanking new assets. I need either imagination or brand spanking new assets for entertainment. It's not a fucking mystery. In a simplistic way, we've had books for a thousand years, and those don't have updated graphics every other year.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Slight OT: what did ye think of the asset reuse in Elden Ring?
I liked it when it made sense (so not Godefroy). I also kind of like Fromsoft's reuse of assets between games, it's fun to spot the new iteration of a previous enemy, especially when they do something to disguise it like flip it upside down or half bury it in the ground.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Do you mean the copy and paste dungeons and bosses in the game? I thought those were game breaking and worthless, which is a way different opinion. I've been thinking of "asset reuse" as using the same engine and tools a developer has used before.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Slight OT: what did ye think of the asset reuse in Elden Ring?

Reusing major bosses for minibosses was a bit meh. It took away some of the excitement for me to come across a major boss that I'd fought multiple times before in miniboss form.

Darth Valer

Literate
To me ER asset reuse felt quite insulting. FO 2 and BG 2 wildly reused stuff from their previous iterations, but in order to craft extraordinary games. Elden Ring instead went for content bloat, and didn't leave, in my opinion, a meaningful mark in the Soulsbornekiro brand.

BG 3 feels Indeed quite a lot like DOS 3, but features almost all the stuff I thought DOS 2 lacked, and actually makes me much more interested in exploring the potential of the engine, so I have next to no hostility towards it in this regard.

I've been hearing a lot of talk about how this game is the bestest thing ever since sliced bread. Is it true? Is it really that good? Or are CRPG fans just starved and this is just the first not-trash game they've got in a long time? Curious because I've been through this several times before where people talk about a game as if its the bestest thing ever and then I play it and I find it to be merely okay, or boring. The game looks aesthetically unappealing, and the zoomed out overhead perspective makes the game seem very detached and impersonal. The advertising of bestiality and genital customization is also suspicious.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The hype train is rolling. I just convinced my brother to look into buying it. Lordy lordy, I'm feeling it.

dt2RZAX.png

For assets, I hated the game for being so similar to DOS2 when Early Access first rolled. I sperged out maybe 900 pages ago. The inventory looked the exact fucking same. The items were literally pulled over and had to then be changed into proper D&D itemization.

Here's a gold piece, a dumbass fish, and a cup you could find in DOS2. What is the argument here?
jLj8eEX.jpg
The fact that the inventory UI has been recycled from DOS2 is a problem, because DOS2 inventory was a pain in the ass.
The fact that they recycled the graphics for coins and fishes, I don't care less. I was just happy that they didn't contribute to global environment collapse by performing useless activities.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
I've been hearing a lot of talk about how this game is the bestest thing ever since sliced bread. Is it true? Is it really that good? Or are CRPG fans just starved and this is just the first not-trash game they've got in a long time? Curious because I've been through this several times before where people talk about a game as if its the bestest thing ever and then I play it and I find it to be merely okay, or boring. The game looks aesthetically unappealing, and the zoomed out overhead perspective makes the game seem very detached and impersonal. The advertising of bestiality and genital customization is also suspicious.
Go away weeaboo, we're talking abour real rpg's here.

Be Kind Rewind

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Or are CRPG fans just starved and this is just the first not-trash game they've got in a long time?
They are so starved they have started eating trash and the Codex has become populated by biodrones that get excited over bestiality. RPGs as a genre are over, the audience for them is gone and the technology and cultural period is no longer right for them, there may be the stray boomer still making real RPGs like dungeon crawlers, but Darklands and Dark Sun are relics of the past.
1) what's codex consensus on it, will it be any good?
It's a piece of shit.
That user is an Ukrainian, he's gay enough for this game to be for him.

Saravan

Savant
For me it’s 90% about whether the combat is good and 10% all that other shit. My biggest concern for this game to be ‘bad’ is not encounter design which I think will mostly be interesting with good use of positioning and terrain. I’m however much more worried about the balancing and that Larian have given the player so much shit that Tactician difficulty will be trivialised way too fast.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IMO what modders should do to improve BG3 :
  1. Faster animations, takes a very long time to attack in this game, the animations takes too long, give me Wiz8 flashbacks
  2. A better ruleset, preferentially 2E or at least 3E ruleset instead of 5E. I know that this will be very hard to do
  3. Better ways to kill Astarion.
Like Hexxat in BG2:"""ee""", I have transformed her into a squirrel and used imprisonment against her, while I was in the Abyss during the mage stronghold quest.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Or are CRPG fans just starved and this is just the first not-trash game they've got in a long time?
They are so starved they have started eating trash and the Codex has become populated by biodrones that get excited over bestiality.
They hope this game will save the genre based on faith alone (and on it's ridiculous hype and marketing which they've bought into hook, line, and sinker) as The_Mask said in a post yesterday, I am quoting him directly;
Look, you can be a grouch after the game is out, and it turns out to be complete shambles. But until then, you're just sucking the fun out of the room, for no good reason. The difference between this life and hell, is hope. Leave us with the hope.
So that's all this sucking up to Larian and BG3 is all about, then. Pretending not to see the glaring issues in hopes the game will be everything their imagination thinks it will be. But in reality, they are just getting Original Sin 3.

Yosharian

Arcane
So actually playing the game I’m definitely playing Bard on release. Cutting Words is absolutely awesome with the new Reaction system. But I’m deffo playing Lore - since Bardic Inspiration, their main class ability, is inexplicably still absolutely shit since you can’t use your die after rolling. You have to use it before. I.e. using the dice on Cutting Words seems a much better prospect as that ability is actually implemented properly.
Can you explain exactly how CW works in BG3?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So actually playing the game I’m definitely playing Bard on release. Cutting Words is absolutely awesome with the new Reaction system. But I’m deffo playing Lore - since Bardic Inspiration, their main class ability, is inexplicably still absolutely shit since you can’t use your die after rolling. You have to use it before. I.e. using the dice on Cutting Words seems a much better prospect as that ability is actually implemented properly.
Can you explain exactly how CW works in BG3?

I’ve been testing it out now and honestly it just made me more confused. Basically it works exactly the same as inspiration, i.e. it’s even more trash, EXCEPT whenever you cast a spell on an opponent, you get to see their saving throw roll and decide whether to use Cutting Words *on their saving throw*, which is obviously incredibly strong and should make Lore Bards great DC casters.

BUT does this make up for the hueg nerfs to inspiration in general?

Hardly. I think Bard is pretty massively weaker for this.

However their ability to succeed every single skill roll ever is pretty cool. I think having proficiency in Persuasion, Deception and Intimidation might be a massive trap though: due to Larian implementing Guidance in its most OP form, and Bard having the Friends spell, you should be able to succeed on every single D/P/I roll without proficiency. So if you put prof in skills you have less easy avenues for, you should basically be able to cover every single skill in the game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
To be even more specific: inspiration is a buff you cast on someone and they get to choose to use the die BEFORE THEY ROLL. Not after.

Cutting is, except for the saving throw interaction, a debuff that does the same thing to an enemy - penalty to their next roll. Which is very very bad compared to RAW. Can’t imagine you’ll use Cutting for anything much else than the saving throw interaction (which is excellent).

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
As much as I'm looking forward to BG3 I sympathise with some of the criticism. Baldur's Gate was the first western RPG I played around 16 years ago and it was overwhelmingly good to me, and no modern game has ever quite gotten the ingredients right to give me that feeling. I don't expect BG3 to give me that feeling either, and if I had to choose between Larian's vision and some janky little infinity engine sequel that somehow just *got* it I would choose the latter, but I still expect it to be fun in it's own right, it's different enough that I think I can put it in a separate space in my head and enjoy it as its own isolated thing.

Shaki

Arbiter
Holy shit, there is so much hype, I legit just saw articles about "devs warning players not to make BG3 a new standard for RPG, as it's an anomaly and 99% of studios can't ever live up to such a high standard"... it's going to be a Cyberpunk level outrage, once it actually releases and people realize it's not anything revolutionary, but just a little more bloated Dragon Age Inquisition with decent turn based combat and barrelmancy.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Holy shit, there is so much hype, I legit just saw articles about "devs warning players not to make BG3 a new standard for RPG, as it's an anomaly and 99% of studios can't ever live up to such a high standard"... it's going to be a Cyberpunk level outrage, once it actually releases and people realize it's not anything revolutionary, but just a little more bloated Dragon Age Inquisition with decent turn based combat and barrelmancy.
The amount of reactivity and actual role playing IS revolutionary, nothing comes close.

BG3 is the new standard for rpg's. No amount of seething of other devs or codex tards will change that.

Last edited:

Shaki

Arbiter
The amount of reactivity and actual role playing IS revolutionary, nothing comes close.

BG3 is the new standard for rpg's. No amount of seething of other devs or codex tards will change that.

:hahyou:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One persistent myth on the Codex has been that the outrage against Cyberpunk was because it was so incomplete. Less than half the game that was being promised. If only :lol:

Cyberpunk only got notable mainstream ciriticism because the game was unplayable on old gen consoles, aka "severe technical problems". In 2020 old gen consoles were still predominant on the market, purely because of lockdowns-induced scarcity.

A far second reason for Cyberpunk's bad reception in the mainstream was that CDPR refused to pander to specific journos and websites. See Justin Schrier & Cyberpunk. Anita Sarkesian & Cyberpunk.

So nothing to worry about on that front, BGIII will be a mainstream darling for years to come.

Saravan

Savant
The comparison to DA:I is wholly retarded the games are nothing alike from a gameplay perspective unless gay companions is enough to qualify in which case I can list a bunch of other modern CRPGs as well.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Okay I don't hate BG3 anymore they can do anything BG3 can literally force POZ bear loads on the main character and it is not gonna be as bad as SoD just the first dungeons and I'm cringing its like I'm being electrocuted.

I've only talked to one NPC and I need a break.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom