Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Baldur's Gate 3 is making me realize we didn't know how good we had it with the Pillars of Eternity games. They seem like masterpieces by comparison.

that if instead writing another dialogue of What Does One Adventurer Life Matter, designer puts more of that effort into items, or story/ecology of dungeons you explore, or curious monsters, you can achieve more with less.

Pretty sure every single response there has the same outcome, except attacking him. Only consequence of killing him is you miss out on him giving out revives later in your camp. Absolute dogshit game writing.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
combat is fun so far,some great encounters, plot is mediocre but i think it s too soon in the game to judge. at least '' larian goofy humor '' is way down

in the end i think it'll be a good game, but not one of the all time greats. for the mainstream crowd i think they'll rate it lower than DOS 2, unless it improves a lot in later acts.

i'm pretty ok with this, went with low expectations, even lower than bloodlines 2.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
Baldur's Gate 3 is making me realize we didn't know how good we had it with the Pillars of Eternity games. They seem like masterpieces by comparison.

that if instead writing another dialogue of What Does One Adventurer Life Matter, designer puts more of that effort into items, or story/ecology of dungeons you explore, or curious monsters, you can achieve more with less.

Pretty sure every single response there has the same outcome, except attacking him. Only consequence of killing him is you miss out on him giving out revives later in your camp. Absolute dogshit game writing.
Bruh I stopped DOS3/BG3 demo ATM in favor of finishing POE2 DLC's. So, I ques that's kind of a review in itself.
" I dropped BG3 EA to finish POE2...."

BarbequeMasta

Learned

Bruh I stopped DOS3/BG3 demo ATM in favor of finishing POE2 DLC's.
It's that bad?!!! I didnt even expect it to suck that hard.

Thonius

Arcane
POE2 Feels more classical, and since I bought DLC's and they are good I need to finish it second time. Also game is patched, modded, looks better, sounds better and huh... better RPG.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
POE2 Feels more classical, and since I bought DLC's and they are good I need to finish it second time. Also game is patched, modded, looks better, sounds better and huh... better RPG.
Havent tried the DLC yet despite owning them, what mods are you using. I have a been looking for something to play(was going to tey darklands.)

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The initial cutscene is cool, and I'm not gonna lie the green goblin girl looks pretty hot. But there's no way I'm going to be able to play this on my current pc, fuck.

Oh, and the dice roll cutscene is so retarded. Adding dices to the game was the right move, but not like this. I don't want to stare at a dice rolling for all this time, the length of the animation should AT LEAST be reduced to one fourth.

SoupNazi

I had high expectations and they are being mostly met. Note: I should probably have a "DOS2 Fanboy" because I finished it something like 7 times, and I also love the co-op aspect as I have a decent group of RPG fans that I enjoy playing these games with.

Combat is even better than in DOS2 which was already pretty great. I love the verticality, it's even more prominent than in DOS2, and the new ways to use them (jumping for any character, climbing ledges, shoving people off). It's a lot more unforgiving than I expected, like someone mentioned here I think, it's unusual nowadays to have a mage character who actually gets easily oneshot by some thug bandit or a goblin. I quite enjoy that. I hope for the same amount of gameability that DOS2 allowed, I enjoy breaking the game by finding crazy combos or having a huntsman/rogue that basically doesn't get hit while shooting arrows, etc. I'm not too familiar with 5e but a bit afraid that this will not be as open as DOS2's level of shenanigans. But even without it the combat is very fun and, dare I say it, tactical. Positioning matters, kiting works, enviornment effects are a bit subdued (which I like).

The story is hard to judge at this point, I imagine there will be a few twists and turns, so reserving judgement. Really nothing to say yet but I do agree with some of the general opinion that it's a bit too high-stakes right from the start and I would have preferred to bond with the companions before the kidnapping actually happens. Speaking of companions, they're mostly OK, other than Lae'Zel who from the start rubbed me the wrong way. But nothing's forcing me to keep her I guess so I don't have a problem - maybe on an "evil" playthrough. The cleric and Gale (the wizard) are fun. I haven't really encountered any interesting C&C, sure there are some possibilities to avoid fights or make them really short, and you can die in a certain dialogue based on dice rolls, but it's nothing significant. I assume more is to come in the later game.

One thing I really like is the level of detail in the animations. Especially the fact that the game takes into account when you move first before attacking - I've never seen this in any other game. Anywhere else the character will stop in range and then go into normal attack animation, here they actually do a running swing or notch an arrow before stopping. It's a minute detail but it really impressed me and continues to impress even as I've already seen it.

Graphics are good, I definitely prefer this game's looks over the 2nd best RPG of this year (Wasteland 3 :lol:) but I do agree it's a bit too similar to DOS2 and doesn't create its own atmosphere. Especially the nature of this first land just looks like the nature anywhere in Rivellon. But the ship was sufficiently alien, so they're able to make different environments as well. I'm just hoping for less light and sunshine somewhere down the line. I'm really ambivalent on the zoom-in on characters doing dialogue - feels very Biowarish. On one hand it gives the characters more flair than they have when that's not present, and some of the animations really give character to the... well, characters.

Music is amazing and it's the first game in years that I haven't immediately muted the volume or lowered it to the minimum. I spent maybe an hour in the character creation screen and enjoyed the music the entire time.

All in all if this came out this year I'm pretty sure it would have been my GOTY.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I've noticed a trend recently of capitalising on poor new releases to try and shoehorn the idea that DAO was any good. Shame.

DAO was p. good. Vault Dweller even said so :smug:
I remember it as a massive disappointment. I also remember giving up while roaming seemingly endless underground hallways full of orcs.
Maybe I missed the good part then :smug:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The initial cutscene is cool, and I'm not gonna lie the green goblin girl looks pretty hot. But there's no way I'm going to be able to play this on my current pc, fuck.

Oh, and the dice roll cutscene is so retarded. Adding dices to the game was the right move, but not like this. I don't want to stare at a dice rolling for all this time, the length of the animation should AT LEAST be reduced to one fourth.

SPACEBAR

The masses are eting this shit up. :shittydog:

Oh no, after massive marketing campaign, featured screens in both Steam and Gog, paid streams on Twitch we accidentally got massive sales. Where ever are we going to store all dose dolla bills?

On the other hand there is a serious risk that by the time release comes BG3 will be old news and most people will have moved on to Fallout 5 or some other rpg of the month.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

SPACEBAR
Jesus. I am, indeed, a retard.

Antigoon

Augur
Oh no, after massive marketing campaign, featured screens in both Steam and Gog, paid streams on Twitch we accidentally got massive sales. Where ever are we going to store all dose dolla bills?

On the other hand there is a serious risk that by the time release comes BG3 will be old news and most people will have moved on to Fallout 5 or some other rpg of the month.

Indeed a good point. I am curious how the actual release will turn out.
Was there ever a comparable game with a similar massive EA marketing campaign?

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

The masses are eting this shit up. :shittydog:

The hype will die down soon and the game will ATLEAST take another full year to develop so people will forget. It will probably release in 2022 and the hype/marketing machine can start again, also the biggest competitor; cyberpunk will be out of the way and BG3 will have all the spot lights for itself. (unless a new elder scrolls will release that year)

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I mean, if they already sold enough to call it a success, why would you care about the actual release ?
PS : Not saying they did, but as people have pointed out, they marketed the early access like an actual release already.

Perkel

Arcane
Well tried it. Plays better than DOS2 that is for sure without that retarded split armor.

That being said. Game is definitely early alpha, it is playable but shitload of things look like WIP. Animations especially glitching out constantly, having weird stops etc. Like gore. Didn't know they will go with full proper gore like that, me like it.

So deleted it, waiting for release. Should be fun in coop.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Motherfuckers. I can't wait another year for this to be finished, I need my 5E fix now.

Anything else to look forward to in the meantime?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom