Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
To a decent first game D: OS 2 added the terrible armor system which Vincke has already acknowledged as a design misstep.
Honestly, I don't give a rat's ass about what Swen acknowledges or doesn't acknowledge.

The same guy said he doesn't agree and is very proud of their armor system in response to the Codex review calling him out on how shit it was. He only flip-flopped recently.

Swen will say anything.

Barbalos

Savant
I wonder if it might be a bit like Divinity 2 Ego Draconis? More action oriented and not turn based or RTwP. Though I have no idea how a party system could work there.

agris

Arcane
Patron
[...] and retards who worship D&D will defend it because everything D&D is the greatest thing ever made.

I haven't read all of this thread, but I've read a lot of it, and I still haven't seen anyone claiming such. I feel like you're battling an idea that isn't expressed here. If your general conceit is that there is a problem with mainstream acceptance of D&D mechanics, that may frame your barbs in a way that makes more sense to us. As it is now, it appears you're tilting at windmills.

Cael

Arcane
New interview

https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/8...ate-and-partnership-with-wizards-of-the-coast

Swen Vincke: I personally liked the idea to reward a player for doing something really awesome.

Awesome button confirmed. :incline:
*presses button*
"You win the game! Congratulations! You are the bestest and most perfect PC ever! All the gods bow before you! You can spend the rest of the 10 hour game time basking in the glow of that greatness! See you again soon anytime you want to find a safe space!"

Ruchy

Scholar
The level of autistic butthurt in this thread based on vague comments and nothing else is fucking unreal. I still see no reason to expect anything other than BG DnD 5e in Larians DoS 2 engine, the camera surprise is that it's a movable 3d camera as in those games and not fixed isometric as in the first two BGs.
Larian have never had the success they have had with the last two games before and it really makes zero sense for them to now adapt it into a witcher like experience when the setting screams out for more of the same.

As for writing? RIP.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't see what the problem with D: OS is. The first game only had the terrible MMO loot and the tone as strikes against it, and Swen Vincke is already on record in multiple interviews that the tone of BG III is set by the trailer -- i.e. it will be quite a bit darker.

To a decent first game D: OS 2 added the terrible armor system which Vincke has already acknowledged as a design misstep.

I can see how D: OS 2 can repel more discerning players due to the armor system but one's autism would need to far exceed mine to genuinely claim D: OS 1 as an outright bad game.

There are many reasons to be skeptical of BG III but being similar to D: OS ranks low among that list.

So...basically, you are applauding the fact that in every game a bunch of shit is introduced and in a subsequent game even more shit is introduced BUT Swen is sorry for the earlier shit.... :/

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another E3 interview, is less interesting than other bunch regarding BG3: https://wccftech.com/larian-studios-interview-innovating-baldurs-gate-3/

Actually part about Swen's thoughts (new consoles ["people have SSDs in their PCs already" :cool:], hope for streaming platform and skepticism towards subscriptions) on the industry are more interesting.

Q: Next generation consoles are coming soon. There’s a lot we still don’t know about them, but we do know that both the Xbox Scarlett and the PlayStation 5 are changing the ways games load with the inclusion of SSD drives. How is this going to improve RPGs in your opinion?

A: To be fair, people have SSDs in their PCs already, so it’s not that much of a revolution. Streaming is a very important technology for modern games, so the faster you can stream your data, you can put more of it, and you’re going to have higher quality assets, which is pretty much what everybody expects there to be. The big questions are going to be how much memory do you get to actually do that? Is there sufficient memory to fool around with? How much CPU power are we getting? Because that’s also important, but it’s the classic things that we see with every generation. I mean, how much GPU power do we get? But at the end of the day, it’s always going to be more, it’s going to be more detailed, it’s going to allow us to do more accurate simulations.

I think that the more interesting question is how stuff like Google Stadia will change things. It gives developers something different. In the data center, these machines are connected to each other, and so you could start thinking of doing things like elastic rendering, like make a couple of servers together, to do physics simulations that may not be possible on current local hardware. I think you’ll see a lot of evolution in this direction.

Q: Subscription services are becoming big. Microsoft has the Xbox Game Pass, EA has Origin/EA Access and now Ubisoft announced their uPlay Plus. Do you think this model could help smaller games to emerge?

A: When talking about subscription services, somebody reminded me of the scene in Star Wars where the Palpatine is about to rise to become the Emperor and then he says that this is how democracy ends. So I’m not really sure that subscription services are a good thing for the developers. They are good for players, as they initially give a wide range of games. But the problem is the same one many have with Netflix: for example, I started watching like a million series, but I don’t see any to the end anymore. And if this is going to be the case for games as well, I don’t think that it will be a good thing. The only ones that benefit from subscription services are the really the big blockbuster. So I’m not really sure if the small ones are going to be able to break through on the subscription services, because we will be super dependent on the provider of the subscription service and what he puts on the front page, so I don’t think it’s a good idea at all that power is given to only a few key players.

Q: In this regard, maybe the Epic Games Store may help. I have seen a couple of titles on there that have been marketed well.

A: It’s a marketplace. There are lots of stores and this has always been the case, even in retail. So you can talk to certain stores to put your game in a more prominent position, it’s a free market with where marketing matters to make things visual. And so having more stores is a good thing, provided that the conditions at which you can sell it on them are fair to everyone.

So I think that if there are more stores there is a higher chance that more people can break through as there are different propositions on different stores and this kind of differentiation is not necessarily bad, because it’s like stores on the street where you go to a specialized shop. This is the biggest difference with subscription services, as the revenue that you get is based on the time the game gets played. If you make a game that last two hours and only a small part of it gets played, you don’t get anything in terms of revenue.

The level of autistic butthurt in this thread based on vague comments and nothing else is fucking unreal. I still see no reason to expect anything other than BG DnD 5e in Larians DoS 2 engine, the camera surprise is that it's a movable 3d camera as in those games and not fixed isometric as in the first two BGs.
Larian have never had the success they have had with the last two games before and it really makes zero sense for them to now adapt it into a witcher like experience when the setting screams out for more of the same.

As for writing? RIP.

Swen wouldn't call camera a surprise if the camera was like in D:OS. This is what most people expect.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

As for writing? RIP.

Swen wouldn't call camera a surprise if the camera was like in D:OS. This is what most people expect.
A surprise would be a viewpoint that they haven't done before, like first person.

Biowarian third person wouldn't be a surprise but I imagine that's what they're going for.

Shrimp

Arbiter

As for writing? RIP.

A surprise would be a viewpoint that they haven't done before, like first person.

Biowarian third person wouldn't be a surprise but I imagine that's what they're going for.
For all we know Swen might believe fans of the original games expect BG3 to have pre-rendered 2D backgrounds and that they'd be surprised by the 3D rotatable camera.

Codex Year of the Donut

As for writing? RIP.

I'd play the fuck out of mass effect: faerun edition
hate me all you want

Codex Year of the Donut
even if you get mass effect andromeda faerun edition?
mass effect andromeda was pretty fun and I'm upset that it got no DLC/probably won't get a sequel because there's really no other space opera RPGs

the combat in andromeda is honestly pretty fun
I wish there were more squad-based RPGs where you don't directly control the party AI.

Curratum

I never expected CRPG plebs to understand much about good tabletop rule design but the amount of dislike for 5E is frankly shocking. Have you 3.5 cavemen even actually read all three 5E core books, or is this another case of the Codex being ill-informed and tossing worthless opinions with pomp and authority?

Cael

Arcane
I never expected CRPG plebs to understand much about good tabletop rule design but the amount of dislike for 5E is frankly shocking. Have you 3.5 cavemen even actually read all three 5E core books, or is this another case of the Codex being ill-informed and tossing worthless opinions with pomp and authority?
More like after 4th Ed, sane, thinking and logical people have put fucktards of the coast in the "boycott with prejudice" bin, so fuck your 5th Ed in the eye socket, bitch!

Curratum

More like after 4th Ed, sane, thinking and logical people have put fucktards of the coast in the "boycott with prejudice" bin, so fuck your 5th Ed in the eye socket, bitch!

So, in short, exactly as I expected, nobody hating on it has even the faintest idea why they're hating it and why it's actually good. Codex never disappoints! +M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom