Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Saravan

Savant
I only have high hopes for the gameplay and exploration, the writing is obviously made-up on the spot and going to be Tumblr-tier. I also rewatched some parts of the gameplay video right now and I think people are jumping to conclusions about the vampire being gay. He says he tried to seduce the noble to bring him to his master, you don't need to be gay to do that.

God forbid the character is gay might make codexers uncomfortable.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
And what in that hour of gameplay made you so optimistic?
Physical feats, being able to climb/jump on basically anything in reach which opens up obscure hiding spots, faithful adaptation of 5E, no random items, skill checks during exploration, the maps looked open enough, etc.

God forbid the character is gay might make codexers uncomfortable.
It's not about that, it's just people jump to conclusions when anything non-straight is mentioned. We know everyone is bi, though, so yeah. They won't have the balls to make the Rogue PC gay because he's probably going to be a popular choice due to being a Rogue. And despite the autistic screeching of anti-SJWs, gays still aren't going to be made protagonists.

You guys are thrashing game for ruining the lore, but you yourself have been arguing about how long it takes for those worms to eat someone's brain out and turn them into Japanese schoolgirl's dream for like 2 days.

so they're not trying ot recreate previous games, but they named the game BG3 with "3" on top of illithid skull

this is some advanced mind games Swen

The same way Resident Evil, Castlevania, Legacy Of Kain, Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Dynasty Warriors, Divinity, Dune did it and the way Yakuza is about to do it. Let's not pretend that slapping a known name to a game of different genre with the same setting is a rare occurrence.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Physical feats, being able to climb/jump on basically anything in reach which opens up obscure hiding spots, faithful adaptation of 5E, no random items, skill checks during exploration, the maps looked open enough, etc.
So does every other larian game,tho the good stuff dries out after the first chapter. In dos2 you also get a ton of interesting source abilities,but you end up suing them once or twice in plot moments. I remember that there was some spell that heals everything and was for quests,but it was forgotten after chapter 1. Even if you cast it on seriously wounded or cursed npcs it did nothing.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Harthwain

Magister
You must be new to this thread. People were bitching about the game for hundreds of pages before we even had the gameplay. Or any concrete info for that matter.
And guess what? We guessed everything right. Our shit taking was justified and we got to get An early start on it. Let's get an early start on everything we know Larian studio likes to fuck with.
Bullshit.

People were saying it's going to be action-RPG with TPP, because that's how the imagine mainstream cRPG nowadays. Instead we're getting turn-based with isometric view. Some people were saying it will likely be turn-based, because last two games from Larian were turn-based. Some said Swen is going to surprise everybody and go for something really insane (like phase-based, some simultaneous system, etc.). And there was a lot of talk - ironically enough - about how BG3 will linked to BG1 and BG2.

So spare me the blatant crap that "We (what "we", you butthurt drama queen?) guessed EVERYTHING right". Sure, if you throw shit in all directions you're bound to hit SOMETHING, but only a moron is going to praise himself on the accuracy of such a precise maneuver.

So does every other larian game,tho the good stuff dries out after the first chapter. In dos2 you also get a ton of interesting source abilities,but you end up suing them once or twice in plot moments. I remember that there was some spell that heals everything and was for quests,but it was forgotten after chapter 1. Even if you cast it on seriously wounded or cursed npcs it did nothing.
Really? Every wounded reacted if I healed them, through blessing or regular-ass heal spell.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
D:OS1 and 2 don't have faithful adaptations of 5E and do have random items. D:OS2 also has the retarded armor system. BG3 is going to be a Larian game done right in terms of combat and the choices you get during exploration.

You must be new to this thread. People were bitching about the game for hundreds of pages before we even had the gameplay. Or any concrete info for that matter.
And guess what? We guessed everything right. Our shit taking was justified and we got to get An early start on it. Let's get an early start on everything we know Larian studio likes to fuck with.
Bullshit.

People were saying it's going to be action-RPG with TPP, because that's how the imagine mainstream cRPG nowadays. Instead we're getting turn-based with isometric view. Some people were saying it will likely be turn-based, because last two games from Larian were turn-based. Some said Swen is going to surprise everybody and go for something really insane (like phase-based, some simultaneous system, etc.). And there was a lot of talk - ironically enough - about how BG3 will linked to BG1 and BG2.

So spare me the blatant crap that "We (what "we", you butthurt drama queen?) guessed EVERYTHING right". Sure, if you throw shit in all directions you're bound to hit SOMETHING, but only a moron is going to praise himself on the accuracy of such a precise maneuver.
Yeah, imagine making 300 pages of predictions and acting all high and mighty, because "we" guessed it. No shit, people.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
D:OS1 and 2 don't have faithful adaptations of 5E and do have random items. D:OS2 also has the retarded armor system. BG3 is going to be a Larian game done right in terms of combat and the choices you get during exploration.
LoL talking about being fateful to the worst D&D iteration after spending an evening discussing how they fucked up the lore in the first few minutes of gameplay :lol:. Also dipping your bow in fire while throwing your shoos at the enemy is hardly an improvement over the dumb armour system,at least in my book. The important part is that the items that you find due to exploration have an actual value. Finding a bunch of gems when you have a million is hardly rewarding exploration,for example. Still i didn't see enough to judge the exploration,it could be good.

jackofshadows

Magister
I have to be the only one who never liked D:OS' music. IMO, for fantasy games, symphonyc orchestra is mandatory. But I never liked D:OS as a whole. The whole game is mostly bloat once you get past Cyseal. It's like they ran out of ideas at the end of that chapter.
Not the only one. I mean, the music by itself is quite good, the composer indeed was talented, but listening original music during sessions felt... distracting (in a bad way). I agree on overall impressions as well, still can't beleive I made it to the end, that was not worth it.
Dunno, I for one support the genocide of all the pointy ears (or their enslavement at the very least).
Impregnating first tho, right?
565-Untitled.png
This is another issue: it doesn't look like placeholder as well as the whole UI because clearly there's more work has been done than it seems at the first glance. Therefore any changes in that regard less likely to be expected. Although EA feedback might affect that but I'm not holding my breath.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Here's the thing. If you want to make a story in which the protagonists have superpowers due to some weird thing, why perverse already established lore? Or the game can be about mind flayers without us being infected. There isn't a single instance in the lore where being infested with a tadpole gives you superpowers. It doesn't even make sense, the tadpoles can't be commanded to do anything (like "give superpowers instead of feasting!"), they are parasites which uncontrollably eat.
How do you think game lore is created in the first place? It's not divine revelation handed down by St. Gygax, but the combination of every piece of work done on the game.

People have noticed how the tadpole implantation procedure was highly unusual, that Illithids don't usually snatch people from cities in broad daylight, that tadpoles live with the elder brain not on spelljammers, etc. We even have the main characters acknowledging that they're not experiencing the expected effects of being implanted with an Illithid tadpole. All this points towards these unusual circumstances being a mystery central to the main plot in BG3 and not just disregarding the existing lore.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
LoL talking about being fateful to the worst D&D iteration after spending an evening discussing how they fucked up the lore in the first few minutes of gameplay :lol:. Also dipping your bow in fire while throwing your shoos at the enemy is hardly an improvement over the dumb armour system,at least in my book. The important part is that the items that you find due to exploration have an actual value. Finding a bunch of gems when you have a million is hardly rewarding exploration,for example. Still i didn't see enough to judge the exploration,it could be good.
You can avoid throwing shoes at the enemy (or at least I hope... please Swen don't force on us a tutorial where you can progress only if you throw your boot at a goblin, PLEASE).

And the 5th edition is hardly the worst D&D iteration. The discgrace that's the 4th edition still exists.

Mortmal

Arcane
Considering we know very, very little about the specifics of the plot, it seems a bit premature to talk about how Larian is ruining lore. Although a lot of people are saying the whole game is trash too for nebulous reasons.
They ruined more lore in 5 minutes than whole games usually do, so that's quite an achievement. And everyone who knows anything about mind flayers can notice it immediately, it's not some obscure knowledge from arcane books nobody has read.
What did they ruin yet ? The ceremorphosis not being fast enough ? You see a rogue illithid in a spelljammer with dead illithids around, maybe its a crazed illithid who reminds his past life, maybe he went mad and full rampage thus crashing the spelljammer into the city first .What happened in the ship, why are they all dead before the gythianki even attack ? The tadpoles are maybe deficient and as slow to mature as a codexer is to socialize , staying dormant near the brain.

Reality

Learned
I've seen very few cases of Japanese TRPG and western turn-based RPGs cross-pollinating, though. TRGP fans are more likely to try other JRPGs, while western RPG fans are more likely to go to real-time RPG or turn-based strategies, depending on personal preference. Though without actual numbers all of this is no more than conjecture.

TRPG fans being likely to try other games doesn't seem to apply to itself. I always tell people who've liked one Japanese TRPG to play one game each of Shining Force / Fire Emblem / Disgaea / Front Mission / Langrisser / FFT / Ogre Tactics …. and they never ever do. Always the "I'll just keep playing my one series"

I feel like that Japanse TRPG fans have an overated sense of their ability to pre-judge game series and narrow down their field of interest, which makes them hostile even when it comes to new mechanics being added to their own "one series" old game vs new games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am hoping that encounters will not be balanced around using these gimicks. I hope we will be able to just use good tactics and our weapons/spells to beat enemies.

Generic-Giant-Spider

With all this tentacle bullshit running around we're long overdue for the triumphant return of the displacer beast.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The tadpole eats your brain in an hour, the gestating period is one week after that in which the host body is completely immobile and defenseless. You can't rest spam for a week because you are already dead after your brain has been eaten. Duh. Ceremorphosis doesn't work like in that first trailer we got 8 months ago.

The multiverse is vast and full of terrors. Who is to say this specific group of Illithids hasn't tampered with their own life cycle for whatever reason?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am hoping that encounters will not be balanced around using these gimicks. I hope we will be able to just use good tactics and our weapons/spells to beat enemies.
Really??? You expect a tactical game from studio which thinks that the most tactical thing is to throw red coloured spell on to green coloured environmental blob?!?!?!?! From their last few games,what made you so confident in their tactical skills? As for the gimmicks,well yeah,it is up to the player after all,it will be our choice if we want to throw boots at the enemy. Still they are cringy and waste of resources in my book. Also those jump,throw,fall,pull animations are horrible and feel very uncanny valley wrong.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Really??? You expect a tactical game from studio with thinks that the most tactical thing is to throw red coloured spell on to green coloured environmental blob?!?!?!?! From their last few games,what made you so confident in their tactical skills? As for the gimmicks,well yeah,it is up to the player after all,it will be our choice if we want to throw boots at the enemy. Still they are cringy and waste of resources in my book. Also those jump,throw,fall,pull animations are horrible and feel very uncanny valley wrong.
Where did I use word expect?!
I said hope.

Also he only threw boots here because that is only thing he had on him. I am afraid in game they will just keep leaving around items that you are supposed to pick up and throw at enemies to win. Or all very dangerous enemies will be placed next to lava pits and pushing them will be the most efficient thing to do..

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And the 5th edition is hardly the worst D&D iteration. The discgrace that's the 4th edition still exists.
Fair enough,but still saying that it is not as bad as the worst is not much of a compliment :lol:. I personally don't care much about all the stats shit since as a dm i ignore most of it. Tho the lore fuck ups by dumb ignorant people that had never read old d&d lore is what gets me. And i am not like our dear Lacrymas ,spending hours on reading all those things. I do give it a fast glance and still get annoyed at how modern writers butcher it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom