Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Harthwain

Magister
Not every game can be AoD, and that approach isn't really liked too much, even among the Kodex.

People say they want meaningful fights, but then they fail and start crying.
I wasn't a big fan of D:OS 1 or 2, but one thing I liked was that fights on Tactician were actually a challenge for me. I would probably got bored much quicker playing on standard difficulty.

Why and how would you like to make kiting impossible anyway? It's just a tactic of running away from a threat after all and it's not without a cost, you can't cast spells while you are doing it. It's rather an issue to be solved with ai not with gameplay system, to not chase a mage with all units if he starts to run away, for example, or with rules, you can give many monsters faster movement speed than humanoids for example.
Why? Probably to make it less efficient of a tactic. As to how... One way of making kiting impossible - I am talking theoretically here, not about 5.0E specifically, I'd have to look up all the rules. Maybe I'll do it later - could be by having abilities that allow the kited to close the gap OR by giving enemies a bit extra movement speed. But given how the combat looked during the gameplay reveal I am not even sure it'll be necessary.

Tytus

Arcane
After all normal people do get bored reading TB fanatics prising larian and their dumbing down of the game while raping the lore,and just move on.

Do normal people shitpost daily about a game that they have no interest in playing?
Is this a trick question, or just asked in error?

We are living in the future now.
When you can always just hate-watch the game on Youtube, to be a part of the ongoing water cooler discussion.

Slaver1

Savant
The RTWP VS Turn-based argument is tired. I doubt Baldurs Gate fans would mind Larian's combat if they exercised a bit of respect for the IP elsewhere and didn't produce another cartoonish abomination with terrible writing and awful characters like they did last time they shat out a game. For everyone else, hopefully you'll be able to get immersed "role-playing" your fabulous gay vampire...

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
In most RtwP actions do not really happen simultaneously. They actually follow the initiative rules of PnP and have rounds systems. Certain things like movement is free, deviating from PnP, but all other actions aren't.
And that makes it even worse as not only half-assed system, but half-assed implementation of it.
You get all the awkwardness and inconvenience of RTWP for no actual gain.

I'll say though, what you suggest does make me think that it would be interesting to have a rules light, "simulationist" CRPG, one that discard rounds and AoO, uses physics and hitboxes, and tries to make a combat system that tries to simulate "realistic" fantasy combat.
That's not rule light. That's simply rules being expressed differently, in ways more fitting the medium's strengths and limitation. THAC0 and modifiers are effectively trying to do what physics and hitboxes would be doing, except adapted to limitations of PnP.

And yes, please.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Some people have nothing better to do, I guess. Well, enjoy shit-talking a game that you will never play

There's nothing that brings me more joy than showing my passion for things I'm passionate about. I can only hope that my words will have an impact.
Sorry bro, but the only impact your words are having is to make people think that you're retarded, and that other fans of the old BG's are retarded by association.

If you want to have a chance at having a positive impact then stop spamming and instead try to make a few very good posts. Quality over quantity.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
99% of the guys here who is criticizing BG3 will purchase on the first week.

I've played DoS2 so unless I see something radically change I don't think I will. DoS has a shit story, shit companions, shit writing in general, shit atmosphere, shit easy combat, slow shit animations, shit Itemisation, shit design aimed at boring coop, etc
I liked the fight on top of the oil rig, because it was very phalic and it was actually creative in the sort of trap it set up. But with the rest you're right.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am playing through D:OS 1 and fuck me some skills have unbearable never-ending animations. Who thought it was a good idea to force the player to watch those boring animations EVERY SINGLE TIME.
And then there is the zombie. The zombie clearly is a joke targeted at their own game. It moves at a speed that is not even conceivable by the human mind, the number one priority in every encounter is to kill the fucking zombie or the fight is gonna last forever. I can't imagine playing this game with a 6-men party.

Does anyone know if it's the same in D:OS2? I really hope they found a solution to this endless slog.

If BG3 is like this I am gonna cry. I will still play it, but I will be crying a lot.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ugh... with D:OS 1 you need 2 people handling each of the elements. Otherwise you're going to be sorry. You need 1 archer, preferably glass cannon. 4th companion can be anything, but I highly suggest a witch because meat shields r us is the best store in Belgium.

And things don't change much for D:OS 2, except now you can actually melee things because Swen realized asking warriors to waste points on movement really don't let them do anything else.

Oh and in D:OS 1, leadership is pretty good. Especially in the original version where Swen didn't have time to "fix" things. In fact, I'd play the original version as far as D:OS 1 goes, but that's just me.
Leadership's shit in 2 though. 1 value point - that's it.

Mazisky

Magister
Some people have nothing better to do, I guess. Well, enjoy shit-talking a game that you will never play

There's nothing that brings me more joy than showing my passion for things I'm passionate about. I can only hope that my words will have an impact.
Sorry bro, but the only impact your words are having is to make people think that you're retarded, and that other fans of the old BG's are retarded by association.

If you want to have a chance at having a positive impact then stop spamming and instead try to make a few very good posts. Quality over quantity.

He doesn't need to make good posts. He just need to add voice-over, a cutscene with a talking cat and a couple of other cringe elements to them, then Larian fans will listen to him 100%.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
The RTWP VS Turn-based argument is tired. I doubt Baldurs Gate fans would mind Larian's combat if they exercised a bit of respect for the IP elsewhere and didn't produce another cartoonish abomination with terrible writing and awful characters like they did last time they shat out a game. For everyone else, hopefully you'll be able to get immersed "role-playing" your fabulous gay vampire...

That's is not exactly true. TB combat comes to an halt after some time for being tedious and boring. With RTWP you could read it over it even being goofy and silly and still have the fun.
That is why Baldur's Gate games are so good. You know the story and the characters. You play for the fun and good times.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

That's is not exactly true. TB combat comes to an halt after some time for being tedious and boring. With RTWP you could read it over it even being goofy and silly and still have the fun.
That is why Baldur's Gate games are so good. You know the story and the characters. You play for the fun and good times.
Yeah but it would still apply if they were TB. The point with BG is all the available options - classes, items, party comps, battle encounters etc.
So even if you know all the story you can approach the games in a lot of different ways and have fun. Them being RTwP or TB doesn't affect this.
A lot of TB games are very replayable after all

pinotto

Literate
this thing that DOS2 companions are badly written is just a lie, they are actually among the best ones in the last years, except the annoying elf girl.
The game's problems are its weak lore and it being written to be engaging in mutiplayer, see the competition to become Devine, which is my biggest fear for BG3

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
The funniest part about BG3 TB is that people present it as some incline, while in fact it's Larian's copy of nuXcom, virtually one of the worst TB systems, spreading like cancer across all genres, and a far cry from D:OS1 with actual mechanics like AP, character turns or initiative.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is slowing down,the thread pulled only 5 pages for the last 2 days of me playing BG2 and having a blast. While Kingmaker is 10 ahead. After all normal people do get bored reading TB fanatics prising larian and their dumbing down of the game while raping the lore,and just move on. It is going to be a big pile of DOS2 shit relabelled as BG3. Ahhh i mean it is like shit in swiss chocolate pack.
All the retarded arguments drove this thread into the ground.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
99% of the guys here who is criticizing BG3 will purchase on the first week.
Play,yes....buy.....nah,i will pass.

What impact? Nobody at Larian will read this thread. Even the Steam forums have more of a chance of having an impact.
An impact on my fellow codexians. Steamers are a lost cause and I'm banned in the Larian forums. Even if swen read my message he wouldn't care. He's also a lost cause. I can't have an impact on someone who's willing to so blatantly sell out.
The only place that really matter. The codex was always a stronghold against casualtardation and popamoleation! Yet here we are seeing a bunch of fanatics slurping that dumbedown garbage from Larian and shilling its tidepod pregnancy! It is a shameful display!

When you can always just hate-watch the game on Youtube,
:negative:
Sadly we do have quite a lot of such retards,spending hours hating on a game in its thread,only to proudly state that they watched an hour of some retard playing it and now they are expert on it. Such people should be IP banned from
the codex!

It is slowing down,the thread pulled only 5 pages for the last 2 days of me playing BG2 and having a blast. While Kingmaker is 10 ahead. After all normal people do get bored reading TB fanatics prising larian and their dumbing down of the game while raping the lore,and just move on. It is going to be a big pile of DOS2 shit relabelled as BG3. Ahhh i mean it is like shit in swiss chocolate pack.
All the retarded arguments drove this thread into the ground.
Ahh it is not the argument,but a bunch of the people that argued.:lol:

Also for all the sailor bros in here.
:martini:

Harthwain

Magister
It's Larian's copy of nuXcom

It's Larian accurately implementing D&D 5e.
Then 5E is decline as fuck. Every 2AP TB system is garbage by definition.
It's not 2AP TB system... Your movement is separate from your action.

The only place that really matter. The codex was always a stronghold against casualtardation and popamoleation! Yet here we are seeing a bunch of fanatics slurping that dumbedown garbage from Larian and shilling its tidepod pregnancy! It is a shameful display!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ahh it is not the argument,but a bunch of the people that argued.:lol:

Also for all the sailor bros in here.
Yes, the problem is with the quality of the debate. From "quality shit" to just "shit".

IDK, for me lack of day-night cycle sucks, the writing is pretty much a lost battle, and the best I'm hoping for from the game is at least to have fun combat. However, based on my previous experience if a game shouts inane stuff at me all the timе, I just can't enjoy it for the combat alone.

So, for me it will most probably be ruined by Larian and their juvenile bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom