Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
A few more Black Hound shots to proof Divinity 3 sucks ass!

baldurs-gate-3-the-black-hound_6093991.jpg
Wait... this is IWD2.

Anyhow, all those concept images remind me more about IWD than BG and that makes me even more sad.

Harthwain

Magister
Speak with dead spell is confirmed, so why not speak with animals or speak with plants?

these are real D&D spells.
Theoretically there is no reason not to include it. Practically it's the matter of coming up with animals and plants who can be worth speaking to.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Seriously though, what is it with Baldur's Gate games(old and new) and offering cukhold scenarios?
Every game ever made offers at least a cuckhold scenario, you just have to search for it with enough dedication
DOOM 2 doesn't have a cuck option!

FlatShamefulCod-small.gif
Yeah? What do you think Doomguy's wife is doing while he is on Mars? Patiently waiting for him?

Yeah, better luck next time
LoL assuming that doom chad is a ring chained to some bitch lol. The doom chad cares only about walking trough a blood mist of his enemy!

Gargaune

Magister
So, is anyone else disappointed this isn't RTwP? I don't think anyone's discussed RTwP vs. TB in this thread.

Seriously now, those of you excited at this BG3 reveal, are you excited about anything other than TB 5E? I'd made my peace with it being TB (Larian, WotC, fucking Stadia, of course it was going to be TB) and I was still potentially interested as long as it gave off Baldur's Gate vibes, but I didn't get any out of that presentation. UI, dialog, perspective, team initiative, no alignment, all minor things on their own but they add up. I don't hate what I'm seeing, but it's not doing anything for me either.

True world-reactivity through a massive amount of skill checks that make you able to totally avoid combat (confirmed), seeking treasures and secrets, interesting puzzles, good implementation of traps, interesting sneaking mechanics, massive spell viability both in and out of combat.

A true role-playing experience.

I'll definitely give you the first one, if they've committed to providing alternatives to every combat encounter that's some massive incline right there. The rest, eh, is that from your previous experience with Larian? I only sunk in about four hours into the first Original Sin, so I couldn't say. I really don't like the look of that out-of-combat TB mechanic, though, whether for sneaking or handling traps. It might be "closer" to the tabletop experience (arguably), but there's only so far you can push that notion before you cut the RNG and replace it with a coupon for a dice set on Amazon.

User0001

Savant
Seriously now, those of you excited at this BG3 reveal, are you excited about anything other than TB 5E?
True world-reactivity through a massive amount of skill checks that make you able to totally avoid combat (confirmed), seeking treasures and secrets, interesting puzzles, good implementation of traps, interesting sneaking mechanics, massive spell viability both in and out of combat.

A true role-playing experience.
I'll definitely give you the first one, if they've committed to providing alternatives to every combat encounter that's some massive incline right there. The rest, eh, is that from your previous experience with Larian? I only sunk in about four hours into the first Original Sin, so I couldn't say. I really don't like the look of that out-of-combat TB mechanic, though, whether for sneaking or handling traps. It might be "closer" to the tabletop experience (arguably), but there's only so far you can push that notion before you cut the RNG and replace it with a coupon for a dice set on Amazon.

I genuinely did like puzzles and treasure hunting in DOS2, which had clever use of spells and other skills to solve and find them. In the gameplay presentation, I thought the out-of-combat-TB traps and sneaking looked really REALLY fresh, to be honest. Great way to incorporate actual gameplay if you fail (Indiana Jones-esq). Basically every other crpg pit you against the lazy design of one chest/pressure plate/dialogue -check with a single hp hit if fail (= reload) without giving you an option of escape (except a boring saving throw). You're of course right in that the trap-designing could possibly stagnation further into the game (no new setups and it devolves into repetitiveness). They should implement a brutal one-autosave-file-mode :obviously: for all of that design effort to really matter.

An interview with lead designer Eduard Imbert. Warning: French
https://jv.jeuxonline.info/actualit...-imbert-senior-designer-combats-baldur-gate-3

Interesting part:

• Can we avoid fighting by using social skills? Yes. All the fighting that Sven did, could have been avoided. None of that was mandatory. This is a big improvement over DOS 1, where you had monsters, that attacked as soon as they saw you. That won't be the case here. Without exaggerating, you have unique solution for every encounter. You can persuade, lie or just sneak by. There is no fight that you will be forced to take part in directly.
  • He vaguely says that OG BG's combat sucks and so does combat in both Pillars .
If the first point is actually true- that's fantastic.

Give a brofist to FranticDistortion for the op info^.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Without exaggerating, you have unique solution for every encounter. You can persuade, lie or just sneak by. There is no fight that you will be forced to take part in directly.
That has to be bullshit, right? How would it even be realistic or possible for an adventuring party to not come across enemies who refuse to negotiate, or just some plain regular wild animals? And what about random encounters?

Vatnik Wumao
That has to be bullshit, right? How would it even be realistic or possible for an adventuring party to not come across enemies who refuse to negotiate, or just some plain regular wild animals? And what about random encounters?
If true, then by sneaking.

User0001

Savant

Just because you could possibly avoid encounters does not equate that you will avoid them. To have real possibility and real reactivity is still incline!

Then there will be no ambushes while you're sleeping if they aren't actually bullshitting in their statement.

This has neither been confirmed nor denied. I'm guessing there will probably be ambushes while camping.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom