Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For some reason they have changed key art on Steam.

Before:

FQku8AF.jpg

After:

ELWf0a8.jpg

That Warlock guy who was not shown at the PAX demo is removed. They said he will be available at EA.
thinking.png

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Do they really have to put that yellow girl at the center stage of the promo material? Looking at her gives me the shivers.

Gargaune

Magister
Seriously now, those of you excited at this BG3 reveal, are you excited about anything other than TB 5E?
True world-reactivity through a massive amount of skill checks that make you able to totally avoid combat (confirmed), seeking treasures and secrets, interesting puzzles, good implementation of traps, interesting sneaking mechanics, massive spell viability both in and out of combat.

A true role-playing experience.
I'll definitely give you the first one, if they've committed to providing alternatives to every combat encounter that's some massive incline right there. The rest, eh, is that from your previous experience with Larian? I only sunk in about four hours into the first Original Sin, so I couldn't say. I really don't like the look of that out-of-combat TB mechanic, though, whether for sneaking or handling traps. It might be "closer" to the tabletop experience (arguably), but there's only so far you can push that notion before you cut the RNG and replace it with a coupon for a dice set on Amazon.

I genuinely did like puzzles and treasure hunting in DOS2, which had clever use of spells and other skills to solve and find them. In the gameplay presentation, I thought the out-of-combat-TB traps and sneaking looked really REALLY fresh, to be honest. Great way to incorporate actual gameplay if you fail (Indiana Jones-esq). Basically every other crpg pit you against the lazy design of one chest/pressure plate/dialogue -check with a single hp hit if fail (= reload) without giving you an option of escape (except a boring saving throw). You're of course right in that the trap-designing could possibly stagnation further into the game (no new setups and it devolves into repetitiveness). They should implement a brutal one-autosave-file-mode :obviously: for all of that design effort to really matter.

An interview with lead designer Eduard Imbert. Warning: French
https://jv.jeuxonline.info/actualit...-imbert-senior-designer-combats-baldur-gate-3

Interesting part:

• Can we avoid fighting by using social skills? Yes. All the fighting that Sven did, could have been avoided. None of that was mandatory. This is a big improvement over DOS 1, where you had monsters, that attacked as soon as they saw you. That won't be the case here. Without exaggerating, you have unique solution for every encounter. You can persuade, lie or just sneak by. There is no fight that you will be forced to take part in directly.
  • He vaguely says that OG BG's combat sucks and so does combat in both Pillars .
If the first point is actually true- that's fantastic.

Give a brofist to FranticDistortion for the op info^.

Fair enough, combat alternatives and good puzzlework sound good, maybe there's something here even for those of us not into turn-based, let's see how it turns out. I'm afraid I've got no buttons to give, though, just joined.

On a separate note, Larian should mind how they come across in some of these interviews. I think I saw some English interview as well where they threw shade at the original series's combat and it's unlikely to curry favour from disgruntled BG fans.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Do they really have to put that yellow girl at the center stage of the promo material? Looking at her gives me the shivers.
All of them look like home-brew characters those Tumblr-types would make, you know the ones. I can just imagine them putting their pronouns next to their names.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Before:

FQku8AF.jpg

After:

ELWf0a8.jpg

That Warlock guy who was not shown at the PAX demo is removed. They said he will be available at EA.
thinking.png
Didn't this happen with the last star wars? They remove the black actors because the chinese market won't watch the movie. Especially if the black actor was positioned behind an asian actress as it was.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Before:

FQku8AF.jpg

After:

ELWf0a8.jpg

thinking.png
Didn't this happen with the last star wars? They remove the black actors because the chinese market won't watch the movie. Especially if the black actor was positioned behind an asian actress as it was.
It happens to all the big films and games going to china.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
They changed because it made the game look even more like DOS3(same logo format as DOS2) which is of course what it actually is.

Black

Arcane
Without exaggerating, you have unique solution for every encounter. You can persuade, lie or just sneak by. There is no fight that you will be forced to take part in directly.
That has to be bullshit, right? How would it even be realistic or possible for an adventuring party to not come across enemies who refuse to negotiate, or just some plain regular wild animals? And what about random encounters?
This is Lariat so rat diplomacy absolutely will be in.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I knew it someone would get triggered. :lol:

To add some more salt, I can be just as insensitive offline as I can be here, and no one gives a crap.

Senior writer talks a bit about story.
https://www.denofgeek.com/games/baldurs-gate-3-dungeon-master-story-writing/

The only interesting part:

“We don’t want dialogue to just be ‘I’m going to ask you this question, I’m going to ask you this question, I’m going to ask you this question. Ok, that was the number of questions [on-screen]…bye,’” Smith says. “Even in those situations where a person only has a couple of things to say, we want it to feel like ‘I said this, so therefore our conversation is going to be different.’ With voiceover, that’s so much easier and much more cinematic. It feels like actual dialogue.”

The original Baldur’s Gate games didn’t feature voiceovers or the advanced visuals you’ll see in Baldur’s Gate 3. What they did have was exceptional writing that forever set a gold standard for storytelling in video games. What does Smith think made the writing in those games so revolutionary?

“The boring answer is that it was just really good writing and good writing is good writing whatever medium you’re working in,” Smith says. “[Those games] had a very good structure. They had a great flow and a story that was both personal and global. They dealt with threats that are cosmological but in all of us…The world-building felt believable. Baldur’s Gate is a place, and I recognize it. You get to know the corners of it.”

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

What do you mean you get the shivers?
You want to tell me they "raped" the lore and carved that beautiful nose on her for nothing?

Just say thank you to Larian and appreciate what you get.
Because they clearly made that character more fuckable and now every Lardtard can put their virtual dick in with more ease.

Otherwise you would've got something like this:

latest

Generic-Giant-Spider

If you're going to push girl power couldn't you put the cute elf girl front and center and not Michael Jackson's wayward cousin.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What'd be wrong with putting the focus on normal looking, non-ugly characters?

They don't stand out. Look like typical fantasy game characters all right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom