Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm more side-eyeing that Win 10 requirement.

Windows 7 is not spported anymore and Windows 8.1 market share is insignificant. It's much better to target W10 from the get go which allows you to use current and future W10 exclusive DX12 libraries.
But Win 10 isn't the best thing in the world and "upgrading" to it will break who knows how many compatibilities with old games.

I play quite a bit of old shit and didn't have any problems on W10 (nothing beyond what was already a problem on W7, anyway). And yes, it is upgrading. The OS offers much better performance and features for game engines to utilize. No one's going to bother supporting end of life OS with ~6% market share when the most popular one is at almost 90% and is superior in every single way from the developer's standpoint.
vnuNGEq.png
About what are you talking about? Games are programs that are isolated from the rest of the system. Most gaming incompatibilities were done by linking W10 library when someone didn't bother to set W7 library in linker. (Or when they used DX12, that MS abomination which MS wanted to use to lock new games out of W7. Vulkan works similarly, and it works on W7.)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The game starts with the main character captured by mind flayers and thrown into the midst of the blood war between devils and demons in hell. I think we can safely say that the "not too over the top" ship has already sailed.
It still could be if the focus is on a group of adventurers trying to survive an all-out supernatural war. But it won't be that.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
If Larian is so good at ARRPEEGEES, where the fuck is the D:OS 2 build thread?
Kingmaker has 160 pages of build discussion.
The entire Underrail thread is basically just builds.
I rest my case. Larianfaggotry only appeals to the braindead who want to look at bright colors and break open barrels.
Fucking retards.

Codex Year of the Donut
If Larian is so good at ARRPEEGEES, where the fuck is the D:OS 2 build thread?
Kingmaker has 160 pages of build discussion.
The entire Underrail thread is basically just builds.
I rest my case. Larianfaggotry only appeals to the braindead who want to look at bright colors and break open barrels.
Fucking retards.
people actually play dos2 instead of spending time thinking about playing it and then never actually playing it

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
people actually play dos2 instead of spending time thinking about playing it and then never actually playing it
Yeah, people actually have to spend time to plan out their builds when they play good RPGs.
And they actually have questions about mechanics cause they're not so simple a 4 year old could understand them.
I know, shocking.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, people actually have to spend time to plan out their builds when they play good RPGs.
And they actually have questions about mechanics cause they're not so simple a 4 year old could understand them.
I know, shocking.
They figure it out themselves by playing the game instead of asking for other people to tell them how to play the game.

Longes

Augur
Plot and story isn't everything. We know plenty.

Typical binary thinking. You assume I think plot and story are everything, and conversely you treat them as if they're nothing.

You're pissed off about the gameplay system design choices, which is fine. But you can't say "it has nothing to do with BG" when you know pretty much nothing about the story.

It has nothing to do with the bg series*

*Barring any potential empty story references or cheap character re-emergences thrown in as an after thought, the game takes place many many years in the future. It's easy to connect things afterwards with a couple of words thrown in as an after thought, they would only be significant if parts of the games were built with these things in mind and were influenced by them.
I have to ask - what the fuck did you expect? The story of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 is thoroughly done and tied up. Since then three editions of D&D came out and the setting had massive changes.

It's called "Baldur's Gate 3" because "Baldur's Gate" is a known brand and, presumably, some game time will be spent in Baldur's Gate. Expecting it to be a narrative sequel to Baldur's Gate 2 is retarded, and I don't know why you'd want it to be that way.

Vatnik Wumao
The issue is that it's dishonest marketing, Longes. It's not a Baldur's Gate game, but a different CRPG set in the same Forgotten Realms setting whose labeling as Baldur's Gate only serves to capitalize on the brand recognition of the previous games and to mislead the public.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
mislead the public.

Bruh. BG2 is so fucking old most of the public is not expecting a game that is in any way similar to it. Most people probably hope that it is not a narrative continuation because they never played each Baldurs Gate, or never got past cobold mines/irenicus lab. Calling it misleading is rich.

Shrimp

Arbiter
719 pages in and out of all things being 'discussed' it's still the game's title and whether or not it's a sequel.
I wish this shit could come out already just so we could move on to something else

eilef

Educated
I am going to wait until full product releases. I do not want to play in "acts", or play part of the game and then wait for true ending for years (hello Trespasser). Game looks interesting, but i hope story is a good one.

Longes

Augur
The issue is that it's dishonest marketing, Longes. It's not a Baldur's Gate game, but a different CRPG set in the same Forgotten Realms setting whose labeling as Baldur's Gate only serves to capitalize on the brand recognition of the previous games and to mislead the public.
Neverwinter Nights 2 wasn't a narrative sequel to Neverwinter Nights 1, and it was fine. None of the Final Fantasy numbers are narrative sequels. Icewind Dale 1 and Icewind Dale 2 aren't directly related by story.

I feel like of all the possible ways to dishonest marketing, "you've turned a series into a franchise" is so mild most people won't count it.

Vatnik Wumao
Neverwinter Nights 2 wasn't a narrative sequel to Neverwinter Nights 1, and it was fine. None of the Final Fantasy numbers are narrative sequels.

I feel like of all the possible ways to dishonest marketing, "you've turned a series into a franchise" is so mild most people won't count it.
Yet NWN 2 was a sequel in terms of its gameplay. No comment on FF though since I haven't played any of them.

So given that they do not share anything other than genre and universe, there's no series to turn into a franchise - the franchise in question being the Forgotten Realms one. It'd be as preposterous as the recent Hobbit trilogy having had been called LotR 4-6 (and that might've made more sense than this since at least there is narrative overlap in that case).

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
most of the public is not expecting a game that is in any way similar to it.
Then they shouldn't have called it Baldur's Gate, plain and simple.
I agree, bg2 should have been called something else because it didn't take place in baldur's gate.
It should be called Shadows of Amn, but the general audience would be too dumb to realize that it's a sequel to Baldur's Gate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom