Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

kangaxx

Arbiter
They made a game and called it baldurs gate 3 even though it has nothing to do with the series. Everything is copied from dos2 rather than BG 1 or 2. Every time there is a design philosophy difference between dos2 and BG series, it is almost guaranteed that they take the dos2 route. They have no reason to call this game baldurs gate 3, and by even suggesting that it's similar to the BG series in any way is a disgrace against the gaming industry. They used the name but refuse to acknowledge the originals otherwise. That's just a couple of reasons why everybody hates the game. swen is a thief.

I have my own reservations about BG3, but we don't know the plot, story etc. yet do we? In view of that I don't get how you can make this statement.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
What's not to like?
larian and swen.

Don't listen to this guy, he is after all a village idiot
The tag was only given to me by a corrupt mod. It has nothing to do with me and is not indicative of anything. Nobody likes the person who tries to dismiss what someone is saying based off of a tag that was given as a joke. Don't be that guy.

My 770 4GB ran KCD at around 30fps or higher with everything on low except resolution. I can imagine a 1050 running it much better.

The 1050 ti releases can run it on Full-HD with everything set to medium at ~35-40fps minimum for an average of about 40-45 fps at stock clocks. As said, those are borderline Flight Simulator 2020 requirements Larian are currently listing. Technically, this is gonna be a 2021 game anyway. By that time an entire new generation of GPUs will be out. But they've been arguing that optimization is still a big thing -- this big in fact that it may delay the release yet another time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm more side-eyeing that Win 10 requirement.

Windows 7 is not spported anymore and Windows 8.1 market share is insignificant. It's much better to target W10 from the get go which allows you to use current and future W10 exclusive DX12 libraries.
But Win 10 isn't the best thing in the world and "upgrading" to it will break who knows how many compatibilities with old games.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Both awesome

If that's what you're into, then you're a lost cause.

I have my own reservations about BG3, but we don't know the plot, story etc. yet do we? In view of that I don't get how you can make this statement.

Plot and story isn't everything. We know plenty. If you looked at the game you would immediately recognize it as a larian product. Things they copied from dos2 over BG: 3d vs isometric. 4 vs 6 player party. origin characters are in. turn based. fire pools on the ground. and so many more. It's very easy for me to make the statement because it is written all over the game.

and based off of larians past we can make plenty more predictions about the game.

Longes

Augur
By the way, why is Dorito Pope such a liar? He said we're going to see "lots of gameplay", but we've been barely shown shit. Or was it Larian who lied to him about it in the first place?

On another note, I absolutely fucking hate the trend in marketing where information that's already several months old and easily found is being "revealed" as if it was something new. Soyberpunk, this and Bloodlines 2 are notorious for this. I swear, if I hear one more time about Flathead mission in CP2077 or about general BG3 stuff shown in the first gameplay reveal during some kind of event, I'm gonna flip.
What do you mean? Baldur's Gate 3 showed about three-four hours of gameplay across their various streams. That's commendable and way, way more than most games do these days.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Plot and story isn't everything. We know plenty.

Typical binary thinking. You assume I think plot and story are everything, and conversely you treat them as if they're nothing.

You're pissed off about the gameplay system design choices, which is fine. But you can't say "it has nothing to do with BG" when you know pretty much nothing about the story.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Plot and story isn't everything. We know plenty.

Typical binary thinking. You assume I think plot and story are everything, and conversely you treat them as if they're nothing.

You're pissed off about the gameplay system design choices, which is fine. But you can't say "it has nothing to do with BG" when you know pretty much nothing about the story.

It has nothing to do with the bg series*

*Barring any potential empty story references or cheap character re-emergences thrown in as an after thought, the game takes place many many years in the future. It's easy to connect things afterwards with a couple of words thrown in as an after thought, they would only be significant if parts of the games were built with these things in mind and were influenced by them.

Readher

Savant

Windows 7 is not spported anymore and Windows 8.1 market share is insignificant. It's much better to target W10 from the get go which allows you to use current and future W10 exclusive DX12 libraries.
But Win 10 isn't the best thing in the world and "upgrading" to it will break who knows how many compatibilities with old games.

I play quite a bit of old shit and didn't have any problems on W10 (nothing beyond what was already a problem on W7, anyway). And yes, it is upgrading. The OS offers much better performance and features for game engines to utilize. No one's going to bother supporting end of life OS with ~6% market share when the most popular one is at almost 90% and is superior in every single way from the developer's standpoint.
vnuNGEq.png

Readher

Savant

Ehh, don't worry. There is a chance that, while not guaranteed, the game will run on Win 7. I've had cases like that.

It mostly depends on the libraries they use. Considering requirements list DX11, I would be surprised if the game didn't work on W7. DX12 requirement is what kills W7 support, but that will change with time as Valve has recently officially picked up a DX12->Vulkan wrapper project.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Ehh, don't worry. There is a chance that, while not guaranteed, the game will run on Win 7. I've had cases like that.
Yeah, I know, the DEs of AoE1 and 2 run perfectly fine for me even though they "require" Win 10. That's why it's only a side eye and not a full-blown crusade against the whole of Belgium.

Suicidal

Arcane
I gotta say that even if the game turns out to be complete and utter dogshit (which is unlikely, I believe that at the very least it will have fun combat) I'm happy that it's being made cause it's causing so much butthurt it's entertaining to watch it unfold. It's like The Last of Us 2 of RPGs.

robinox

Educated
Didn't expect such high system requirements, with a 1050ti and 8GB ram I can play doom eternal at solid framerate (albeit at minimum).
Anyway I hope the story is not too over the top, sometimes simple is better.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Didn't expect such high system requirements, with a 1050ti and 8GB ram I can play doom eternal at solid framerate (albeit at minimum).
Anyway I hope the story is not too over the top, sometimes simple is better.
The game starts with the main character captured by mind flayers and thrown into the midst of the blood war between devils and demons in hell. I think we can safely say that the "not too over the top" ship has already sailed.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I gotta say that even if the game turns out to be complete and utter dogshit
It's actually very likely.

What the fuck are you doing Bethesda? Fallout is an isometric turnbased RPG! You can't make it first person!

YES, SWITCH FROM RTWP TO TB AND MAKE IT 5E LARIAN, I FUCKING LOVE YOU, LET ME SUCK YOUR DICK SWEN

You're all harbingers of decline and I am disgusted by you.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
The bigger the promise, the greater the fall.
I can't wait until the codex consensus comes to the only possible conclusion.
Just so that I can write
I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom