Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nobody is hating on it, it's just not an RPG.
There's an entire section of this forum dedicated to games like DE:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/forums/adventure-gaming.24/
God fucking damn you all for making me agree with rusty.
Hahaha,rusty is ok,only half of his opinions are retarded. Some times he is pretty ok and has a normal taste and views. It is one of those guys that you judge by his post not by himself. I think that he would have ended up pretty cool mate if he wasn't born and raised in kwanza.

Erebus

Arcane
This thread about a game that hasn't even been released yet is now longer than the thread about Kingmaker. I guess name recognition and blind nostalgia really do work wonders.

Lilliput McHammersmith

This thread about a game that hasn't even been released yet is now longer than the thread about Kingmaker. I guess name recognition and blind nostalgia really do work wonders.
It’s mostly pages and pages of REEEEEEEEEing about it being Turn-Based and looking too much like D:OS2.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The difference is that here we have more than 700 pages mocking the game. I can't wait for release lol.

Erebus

Arcane
It’s mostly pages and pages of REEEEEEEEEing about it being Turn-Based and looking too much like D:OS2.

Yeah, but there's no such thing as bad publicity. And the more people talk about this game, even to mock it, the more likely they are to buy it.

Drakortha

Liturgist
It kept being mentioned during the stream that the game has 49k lines of dialogue. It was starting to sound like a Todd Howard sales pitch. Do they really have nothing more exciting to talk about? Where's the Day & Night cycles? This was originally planned for DOS1 but didn't make the cut. It still didn't make the cut for DOS2. Now a bigger budget with BG3 and still nada. What are they even working on? Did half the budget go into the intro cinematic?

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

Wasn't King Arthur the original high-profile cuck?
Eh I guess. You want, you can look at Adam and Eve as Adam getting cucked out of Heaven. Also Samson.
Essentially there's a very long literary and mythological line of works that simply serve as a warning from one generation to another: Don't trust women.
Now it's "respect all whamen" and "believe all whamen", so by my estimate the final destruction of western civilization is 2-3 decades away.

Years... at the current speed, 2-3 years.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It kept being mentioned during the stream that the game has 49k lines of dialogue. It was starting to sound like a Todd Howard sales pitch. Do they really have nothing more exciting to talk about? Where's the Day & Night cycles? This was originally planned for DOS1 but didn't make the cut. It still didn't make the cut for DOS2. Now a bigger budget with BG3 and still nada. What are they even working on? Did half the budget go into the intro cinematic?
Swen has decided that it's ultimately too much effort to give every NPC a schedule and a bed to sleep in. It's also likely that variable lighting would mess with with their intended vision for cinematic dialogues (this is the reason Bioware gave for why they didn't bother with it in Dragon Age).

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Swen has decided that it's ultimately too much effort to give every NPC a schedule and a bed to sleep in. It's also likely that variable lighting would mess with with their intended vision for cinematic dialogues (this is the reason Bioware gave for why they didn't bother with it in Dragon Age).
This doesn't make much sense as an excuse. 1-man show Kenshi has a day/night cycle, with NPC schedules. It took him 10 years to make that game, but he did it. Swen has hundreds of people at his disposal, BUT more importantly, he doesn't even have to do it to meet up the standard.
Just shopkeepers, and some people walking around. BG didn't have beds for all the NPCs walking around. They just disappeared after a quick cut-scene.

Some things don't have to be complicated. Just let the imagination of the player fill in the gaps. Too much detail spoils the magic.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Too much effort to implement a feature that's been in RPG's for decades, including the original BG's? Sadly we're hearing this excuse more these days as a reason not to do something. Game development is getting too lazy by cutting out what I consider an essential part of creating a believable game world.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This doesn't make much sense as an excuse. 1-man show Kenshi has a day/night cycle, with NPC schedules. It took him 10 years to make that game, but he did it. Swen has hundreds of people at his disposal, BUT more importantly, he doesn't even have to do it to meet up the standard.
Just shopkeepers, and some people walking around. BG didn't have beds for all the NPCs walking around. They just disappeared after a quick cut-scene.

Some things don't have to be complicated. Just let the imagination of the player fill in the gaps. Too much detail spoils the magic.

With D:OS Swen made it clear that this meticulous attention to detail was non-negotiable. It's go all the way or not at all.

Gyor

Savant
BG3 will be the greatest RPG ever created.

Are you joking? I don't denny that compared to modern """RPG"""'s like faggout 4/76 and diablo 3(which has less RPG on it than survival games like Rust and Ark), BG3 looks amazing. But it just can't be good as BG2 due the inferior ruleset and low level cap.

IDK why so many people defend low level D&D. I an playing Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager and almost at lv cap with my preserver and half giant gladiator and there are about 40% of the game left. Spend a eternity not leveling or spend a eternity fighting low level kobolds is not fun or engaging. And note, the lv cap of Wake of the Ravager is 15. Anything interesting on D&D requires at least medium level. And even the weakest and lowest red wizard of thay can cast tier 4 spells. ToEE is better with Co8 which removes the lv cap and Dark Sun : Shattered Sands and wake of the ravager would be much better if allowed you to reach lv 17+.

Hell, Dark Sun P&P game allow the PC to even cast the 10th tier spells like Defiler's metamorphosis. - Page 83 of Defilers and Preservers: The Wizards of Athas. However, only one guy completed all stages of that metamorphosis. Borys. Imagine being able to cast it or even Prolific reforestation and create your own oasis in mid of this harsh savage tyrannic lands. And then, casting wall of ash, imagine a permanent.
SCcGfyo.png

y6tRRd8.png

Athas has so many unique spells due the nature of magic on a world abandoned by the Gods. To fully explore it, you need to go high level. Even a Dragon with 2 save vs death will require to roll 12 to not die to that wall... Even if he fly(see the text description)

So, lets hope that tomorrow they will say that the new lv cap is at least 15.

5e is a vastly better rule set then 2e, although 2e was a golden age for setting, it wasn't great mechanically.

Gyor

Savant
They must have made serious money off D:OS if they can afford cinematics like that.

They did, but also google bribed them with piles of cash to make BG3 a stadia game, so much so that Larian still has lots of its own money. They are going to make a killing on BG3 because they were able to externalized so much of their costs this way, although it was always going to make good money.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
5e is a vastly better rule set then 2e, although 2e was a golden age for setting, it wasn't great mechanically.

Are you joking?

2e :
  • No HP/Saves bloat. The game maintain the lethality even on epic levels due the fact that you get almost no hp past lv 10. Even an deity avatar rarely goes above 200 hp.
  • The spells are so amazing
  • Best martial rules ever. Full plate armor having a greater armor class vs slashes than vs blunt, even if as a optional rule which few games like BG1/2 used is pure incline.
  • There are way more depth on the game
  • The mechanics are extremely in line with the lore.
  • The mechanics can be easily adapted to low magic settings like Conan, to high magical settings like Netheril or even Spelljammer, to survival campaigns and to high lethality campaigns.
  • The game is amazing on high levels. Is not like 5e where every high level encounter takes an eternity, hence most modules for 5e rarely goes above lv 13.
  • Modules for everything. Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Planescape(...) Ravenloft now is just Barovia, the Dark Lords doesn't exist except by Strahd which is extremely weak and almost everything is about low level kobold slaying on sword coast. The most boring location in forgotten realms.
Talking about lv cap, I an sad with lv cap = 4 in EA.

• No animate dead
  • Not even a single fireball per long rest
  • Nor 2 attacks for fighters
  • Nor 2d20 Eldritch Blast
  • You will have to deal with mindflayers, intelect devourers, demons, devils and other things at extremely low level. Or fights will gonna be gimmicky or extremely nerfed.
Skimping on a day/night cycle is the exact opposite of 'meticulous attention to detail'.

Isn't the first chapter set in hell? So maybe things works differently on hell.

As for day/night cicle, recently I played BG2 with the Shadow Magic mod. While exposed to sunlight, all shadows conjured by you and your shadow powers are far weaker.

On 5e, some races like Drow suffer from sunlight sensitivity. How they plan to implement it?

---------------------------------

The narrator of BG3 will be Amelia Tyler. She is the voiced Nyrissa of Pf:Km and Maladie of DoS2.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
They should have got the narrator from POE2 instead, god she was so good. She spoke with such raw emotion that it drew you into the deep and intricate plot of POE2. and really made you care what the gods were doing and why.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They should have got the narrator from POE2 instead, god she was so good. She spoke with such raw emotion that it drew you into the deep and intricate plot of POE2. and really made you care what the gods were doing and why.
You can't be serious
He is. I have been searching for the god that can answer me as to why they let her narrate anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom