Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
8uL4xvB.jpg

Wow, this sucks. Never mind the awful portraits, the UI is barely readable.
What does the pig mean? Is that Polymoprh? Summon Familiar? .
Considering it's a low-level wizard's spells, I'd say it's Grease.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I get wanting to improve the interface over Infinity Engine games. It wasn't the best. But I'd take that over these miniscule looking icons and vague symbols that could mean anything. What does the pig mean? Is that Polymoprh? Summon Familiar?
You are joking, right?

latest
latest

I mean, you must be joking.

A red pig = oh yeah baby, my favourite spell, Grease!
A yellow pig = what the fuck is this shit supposed to mean, Larian?!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I get wanting to improve the interface over Infinity Engine games. It wasn't the best. But I'd take that over these miniscule looking icons and vague symbols that could mean anything. What does the pig mean? Is that Polymoprh? Summon Familiar?
You are joking, right?

latest
latest

I mean, you must be joking.

A red pig = oh yeah baby, my favourite spell, Grease!
A yellow pig = what the fuck is this shit supposed to mean, Larian?!
The other side....
rating_prosper.png

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Was there a PnP source that gave icons to the spells, or did Baldur's Gate pioneer that?

I assume the icon is a pig due to the material component.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Like everything else in this game it just looks like D:OS 2.5.

I get wanting to improve the interface over Infinity Engine games. It wasn't the best. But I'd take that over these miniscule looking icons and vague symbols that could mean anything. What does the pig mean? Is that Polymoprh? Summon Familiar? The hand is MageHand right? Or paralysis? It's blue so is it some kind of frost spell instead? Larian are just so awful at design. Everything they do is "just good enough" and people wank them off and say their games have "charm" because they have forced, badly written humour and no one but me could be bothered to get past the first act to see how bad it gets.
Or, you hover over the icon just once, you see the tooltips and after that you will remember what that button does. Don't pretend that anyone knew what the spell icons meant in the Infinity engine games when they encountered them for the very first time.
Still doesn't change the fact that it is a bad design.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if there will be press previews of the Early Access when it's released. Considering it seems to have taken them until the last minute to finalize the release, maybe not?

Shrimp

Arbiter
I wonder if there will be press previews of the Early Access when it's released. Considering it seems to have taken them until the last minute to finalize the release, maybe not?
Considering that one Polish gaming news site posted the EA version's world map they must've received something from Larian.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Some of the icons look similar to the infinity engine games. The piggy shape was grease for example and sleep icon (hotkey 8) looks pretty identical to BG1:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...1C00000.PNG/revision/latest?cb=20191208213301
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...con_BG1.png/revision/latest?cb=20191215211549
Most of the icons Larian has shown so far are clearly inspired to their IE's counterparts, for obvious reasons. I don't like the artstyle they chose, but people bitching about them not being recognizable have clearly not played enough Baldur's Gate in their lives. They are bitching just for bitching's sake.

latest
latest
= I can't wait to cast Sleep on my enemies!
JW8jS20.png
= what the fuck is this? I can't understand what my spells are supposed to do

Come on.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ah, I see we are back to frothing at the mouth as per our scheduled programming. I guess the Day of Blasphemy had to be here in order to trigger it.

Bara

Arcane
Have you tried Troubleshooter?
It has some of the largest scale battles among the recent TB tactitcs, and a cast of 8 (actually 9, but the last one comes pretty late) main characters.

I'm currently wrapping up the Darksun games to wrap up my must play western CRPG games list after finishing the gold box series finally. I'll defintly check it out after I get those two games down.

I already took one detour for to finish Naheulbeuk after I got addicted don't want to risk that again.

Portraits are definitely placeholder as all the portraits have the party nude instead of their armor showing. Though they will always remain inferior to full art portraits. Wish they at least give the option to apply some filter over them to make them look drawn/painted.

Readability though looks okay I can guess what most of those spells are by a glance at them except that one on slot five. No idea what the hell star head is there.

My real problem with that screen shot looking closer at it... What the hell is causing the mage to have disadvantage on his spell attack when attacking a SLEEPING target?

Is this related to that on the ground prone rule for missile attacks rules? It's been a while since it's come up but I remember something about it annoying my group.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
My real problem with that screen shot looking closer at is is what the hell is causing the mage to have disadvantage on his spell attack when attacking a SLEEPING target.

Is this related to that on the ground prone rule for missile attacks rules? It's been a while since it's come up but I remember something about it annoying my group.
Attacks against prone enemies that are not within 5 feet have disadvantage. However attacks against unconscious enemies always have advantage. And, according to core rules, any number of disadvantages cancel any other number of advantages (and viceversa). The reasoning behind this is that not having to count the exact number of advantages and disadvantages you have on a dice roll noticeably speeds up the game.

Since in a videogame everything can be calculated behind the curtains, it's possible that Larian decided to count every advantage and disadvantage, so that having two advantages and three disadvantages still imposes disadvantage on the dice roll.

Gargaune

Magister
"BG3" does not have portraits, it has passport photos.

Portraits are definitely placeholder as all the portraits have the party nude instead of their armor showing. Though they will always remain inferior to full art portraits. Wish they at least give the option to apply some filter over them to make them look drawn/painted.
I wish they'd add portraits, or at least let players add their own. Hey, it's Early Access, why not bitch about shit?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Are you folks gonna play in EA?

I am still unsure. I am relatively stacked with games currently, and playing a combatfag game with only 6 classes and no multiclassing at launch seems somewhat unsatisfying.

Then again this project has so much reach I kinda want to be involved from the start, whether it will be a spectacular carcrash or the unexpected phoenix of incline rising from the ashes of the official DnD license.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Are you folks gonna play in EA?
I'm not sure yet. I have so many other games to play that I might wait a bit. I still haven't even seriously started D:OS2, PoE2, PF:KM, Spellforce 3, Age of Empires 2: DE. I haven't finished UnderRail, Spellforce 2, Age of Empires 1, and I'm thinking of buying Mortal Kombat 11 (seriously discounted) if the rumors of Mileena coming are true. Oh, I'm also thinking of playing some D:OS co-op with ...a friend, if his laptop can handle it. So, yeah, I have a lot on my plate already. Early Access isn't going anywhere soon, so I might jump in in a few months time if I see a reason to.
Then again this project has so much reach I kinda want to be involved from the start
I kinda want to do that as well, but that is mostly an illusion imo. I don't know how much influence we actually have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom