Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Reina

Arcane
I still can't really put my finger on what exactly makes me interested in most npcs interactions in BGIII

I am still not convinced of my final verdict for this game, but many scenes and dialogues leave me with impression that absolutely tremendous amount of work and time was put into rewriting them over and over and refining them to maxmium. Not all, but probably majority of them.

Shaki

Arbiter
Bizarre statement. I hate DOS2 and I really like this game, but the exploration and fundamental structural design is 1:1 DOS. It has copied so many mechanics directly
Pretty much the same.
I believe the change in tone and setting simply makes much more than we realise.
If anything, the transition from DOS to BGIII should be studied as a brilliant case of how much style can matter.
I still can't really put my finger on what exactly makes me interested in most npcs interactions in BGIII when it was the total opposite in DOSII, where I couldn't help skipping most of the cutscenes.

I already felt the same with POE>POE2, where the latter, despite an objectively worst narrative state overall, just felt more immersive thanks to (imo) the artstyle, tone and universal voice acting.
Yes, however in addition to setting/tone shift, I think having 5E as the basis for combat is also a big part. I don't think I would enjoy BG3 at all, if it had DOS1/2 combat system, with fucking 30 weirdass quirky OP skills and exploding barrels everywhere. As much as I dislike 5E, being limited by it seems to have tempered Swen's "creativity", which led to far more satisfying and less goofy combat than in DOS.

It seems the recipe for success, is to have Larian make games based on established setting/system, so they're somewhat limited and can't go overboard with the goofy shit, both in terms of writing and actual gameplay.

Reinhardt

Arcane
so far karlach is absolutely worst character. she's offensively bad.

she's the only outright bad character
Along with the gay vampire, the gay wizard, the gay hammite, the frog demon, the drow, bear boy, the guy who still owes me a hamster, the single granny, and the mongrel.
still better than one turnip pony.
Cool it with the antinanatic remarks.
gnomes are worst dnd race. why they even exist?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
they're somewhat limited and can't go overboard with the goofy shit

I agree with your overall point, but BG3's narrative is *insane*. And it only gets more outrageously crazy the further you go. It's more the bad humor and overly cartoonish fantasyland they've dropped. In terms of scope and weirdness, BG3 is one of the strangest RPGs I've ever played, much more so than DOS1 and 2. It really is like a creative but also kind of structurally mad GM made a tabletop story for you and your bros. It might be a complete mess of a story with 50 million NPCs and all sorts of weird D&D lore mashed together and nothing really makes sense if you think about it, but damn it's fun.

So in that sense, the game really draws on Larian's preferences for such things. Goofyness may be dialed back, but strangeness has been set to 11.

Last edited:

MerchantKing

Learned
I still haven't found an answer to the same question regarding: Aasimar, Dragonborn, Goliath, Firbolg. Fucking Firbolg, man! These are all playable!
I hate all short races. Except dwarves. But in 3E forward those are medium-sized and so, I actually do hate all short races.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lawl, i had to redo the last fight in the tutorial three times because i HAD to loot everything but that stupid Ilithid kept getting killed by the demon who then proceeded to wreck my party members, so i just resorted to leave the Gollum brain behind as cannon fodder while i made my escape with the booty. Sadly, only at the last second i realized the dying Ilithid dropped loot also, but too late now, i ain't gonna try THAT.

I'm out in the open now and everything is so frikking bright, fuzzy and bloomy. Shiiet imma fiddle with the graphics settings to tone that shit down. Found the elf waifu laying around but i don't see the Gyth bitch. She has some loot that belongs to me.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I hate all short races. Except dwarves. But in 3E forward those are medium-sized and so, I actually do hate all short races.
Too many races have been created purely to fit someone's specific character concept and are now stuck like barnacles on the ruleset.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I still haven't found an answer to the same question regarding: Aasimar, Dragonborn, Goliath, Firbolg. Fucking Firbolg, man! These are all playable!
boring shtick.
but at least you can kick gnome to aleviate boredom.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm out in the open now and everything is so frikking bright, fuzzy and bloomy. Shiiet imma fiddle with the graphics setting to tone that shit down.
For me it looked a bit like there is a bright haze over parts of the map. Could be the game was never tested with our old videocards. Some fiddling with my TV's brightness and with the game's gamma brought things to a normal state.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Too many races have been created purely to fit someone's specific character concept and are now stuck like barnacles on the ruleset.

I mean if we're going that route it's hard to hate on the shorties when we got people running around with tails horns scales and whatever the fuck. I'm dead serious when I say this game would instantly improve by 5% if they just replaced all the fucking tieflings with humans. You know something's out of place when it feels out of place in a kitchen sink fantasy setting.

When everyone is special no one is special

Reinhardt

Arcane

I mean if we're going that route it's hard to hate on the shorties when we got people running around with tails horns scales and whatever the fuck. I'm dead serious when I say this game would instantly improve by 5% if they just replaced all the fucking tieflings with humans. You know something's out of place when it feels out of place in a kitchen sink fantasy setting.

especially when right after meeting them you already see why both druids and gobbos don't want them here.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Just consider for a moment that 15 years ago Dragon Age origins was playing the same fiddle, but with Elves, lmao :lol:

Inept woke US hacks turn one fantasy race after another into yet another "humans with a twist". That's where the real fantasy genocie happens. Am I not right, MerchantKing ?

Reinhardt

Arcane
and just like dragon age elves they have zero redeeming qualities. seriously - why would i want to help them? all they do is leech welfare in druid grove, steal, including from you, chimp.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You know something's out of place when it feels out of place in a kitchen sink fantasy setting.
The problem is more that they look like aliens but behave like 21st century modern western humans

That too, very true.

The way Karlach describes Avernus it's like she's been on a somewhat strenous tour of Iraq for a couple years.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I never played any of the short races myself since fuck playing as a manlet i wanna feel like i'm a total Chad in the game but i actually liked them in my parties in past games and had them often, and the fact they are completely missing among the origin NPCs is kinda of disconcerning.

As for tieflings i knew they were going to be everywhere and i've already bitched about it profusely years ago. Fuck i was opposed to shit like drows as playable races way back.

Reinhardt

Arcane
you can easily have dorf in the party, even fucking halfling, as unique perspective through the eyes of someone from idealized tight-knit community in big world, but gnomes... "look at me - i'm quirky speshul snowlake!"
they are just not interesting.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
As the storiest of storyfags I love all the bits and pieces they put in there for the people who read all the text, like this from the little shrine to Lathander near the creche:
1691585226188.png

They're really good at there always being something everywhere you go, even if it's small and silly, and it makes the gameworld feel so much more alive than the big sprawling voids that a lot of other games have.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Lawl, i had to redo the last fight in the tutorial three times because i HAD to loot everything but that stupid Ilithid kept getting killed by the demon who then proceeded to wreck my party members, so i just resorted to leave the Gollum brain behind as cannon fodder while i made my escape with the booty.
The only stuff worth looting there is the stuff that the demon drops.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, on the last cinematic at the end of the tutorial there's a scene where for a moment you meet an Ilithid nestled in the same hiding spot as you. That's the one you get to fuck in the ass, right?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lawl, i had to redo the last fight in the tutorial three times because i HAD to loot everything but that stupid Ilithid kept getting killed by the demon who then proceeded to wreck my party members, so i just resorted to leave the Gollum brain behind as cannon fodder while i made my escape with the booty.
The only stuff worth looting there is the stuff that the demon drops.

Shiiet you can kill the demon?

I'm a complete klaptomaniac who number one rule is "no loot left behind". Party members i can leave or take, as long as they aren't carrying shit that belongs to me (which is all of it).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom